1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured King James Only

Discussion in 'Christian Debate Forum' started by Enoch111, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Taken

Taken Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Personally I have no interest to learn, Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek. My preference is using a tool for translation in what I am particularly studying.

I perfer for everyday use, the KJV, and have other Bibles as well that I compare. Some Bibles I find in Keeping with the intent, others, particularly quite modern versions, I find the choice for translation words, changing the meaning of original intent.

Glory to God,
    Taken

amadeus and Helen like this.
  2. Helen

Helen Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada

In my own opinion I would say because of the words we use 'these days' mean something different than they did back in 1600's..
    The first KJV I had said .. the word 'prevented him' ( at the tomb) meaning in 1600's 'went before' ( got in there first) ..these days when we read prevented ...it means 'stopped'...Im pretty sure the KJV I use now doesnt use the old word prevent any more.

I love the KJV and always use it...
    None of us can say it is 'perfect' ...nothing is perfect...but 'for me' it had a very strong anointing upon it, more so than any other translation.

Thats why I like the OP so much... Being that I am a KJV fan, I liked what was being said about "King James only" and showing us what IS King James Only...AND what is NOT "King James Only"...with which I totally agree.

But most responses on here seem to miss that point altogether, and just posts about liking or disliking the KJV itself... It happens....lol

Blessings...H

amadeus and Taken like this.
  3. Helen

Helen Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada

I don't usually , or ever...disagree with you :)
    But here I do...I don't remember ever going to anyone since 1964 and asking them what something means.
    My dad taught us to go to God and ask Him to open our eyes and anoint them to see.

I am a King James Only ...but not if what the second half of the OP says
    is King James Only. A good read. Many thanks to @Enoch111

I have many other translations ...I have the "Concordant Literal OT and NT" which reads really odd as would the original...some verses kind of backward etc
    At least the KJV is very readable and anointed ...better then some of the adulterated " translations" which came after it. :rolleyes:
    I do like the Berkley ... We have many 'translations' here we can cross reference with. But that said-

The King James has God's fingerprints all over it, others don't!
    IMHO :D

4. Willie T

Willie T Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    How did you come to know Luke 14:26 doesn't mean exactly what it says? The Westboro Mob take it at face value, and I would be ashamed to. You know very well that someone explained to you that it didn't mean what it says.

Do you believe someone with money cannot go to Heaven? Of course you don't believe that since Jesus told a parable about Abraham (one of the richest people in the world) being in Heaven. Someone told you that "the eye of a needle" reference was a figurative thing. (No matter which of the several explanations was given to you.)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  5. Ezra

Ezra Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    i have some programs but have no idea how to use them

6. Berserk

Berserk Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Few Christians are aware of the dramatic story of how and why the KJV was translated, the scholars of dubious character and reputation who did the translating (drunks, violent bigots, sycophants, etc.), and the political and hierarchical bias that the translators were required to serve. Despite all this, the following KJV documentary for the Discovery Channel explains in detail why these very flaws helped make the KJV the greatest book ever written in the English language. It is must viewing for anyone who appreciates the KJV:

youtube documentary king james version - Bing video

7. Helen

Helen Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada

With the word 'prevented' ...it had 'before' in the margin.

Eye of the needle , yes, we had a book by a pastor who lived out there...it explained all the old traditions and strange sayings to the western mind.
    On that I agree , we read his book and it opened up so much.

What irritates me is wishy washy Christians who say... " Oh I can't read the KJV , I like The Message it is so much easier to understand ."

'Understand' the black words yes maybe , but far too lazy to ask the Lord what HE has to say , which is hidden deeper in the Scriptures if we would spend the time with Him.
    No wonder people have soggy brains these days and prefer the well chewed meat spat into their mouths like baby birds with a mother regurgitated worm.

Willie T likes this.
  8. Helen

Helen Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada

Now let us see you also post all the dirt and miss quotes on every single other translation.
    Then indeed we can judge fairly which translation we wish to use.

9. Willie T

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The point I was making is that there are literally dozens of places in the KJV (maybe hundreds) where we have to turn to something else besides only that book to understand it. Even the notes in the margin were not in the original. There, you are actually reading an explanation of the text that someone added later because what was actually written was confusing thousands of people, right and left...….. and that had to be straightened out, and the confusion explained away.

If we are honest with ourselves, even the renowned 23rd Psalm had to be explained to us in several of its verses. Seriously, read it slowly, only going one line at a time..... stopping at each colon or semi-colon. It really makes no sense unless you interject and substitute particular and specific meanings other people have taught you about those seemingly incoherent phrases.

On the other hand, if a person was to read that Psalm for the very first time in, say, The Passion Translation, they would be immediately and directly told what the Psalmist was trying to convey about God, (Really, go read it in that version.)
    Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 23 - The Passion Translation

10. Helen

Helen Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada

We obviously aren't going to be on the same page on this one.

The argument is okay IF a person is a "King James Only " as in the second part of the OP, but I have the King James as my daily bible which I believe is the most anointed ....and I have many others on the side if I need to cross check....these days I don't very much.

Im probably contradicting myself here... But I know what I mean.

11. Willie T

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Put the 23rd psalm, side-by-side, in those two versions, and you will instantly see that the TPT is explaining to you what the KJV is not making clear, at all.

12. David Taylor

David Taylor Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    So in other words, the people against KJVO are right in what he believes and that they refuse to accept what has been discovered and textual criticism and rely on a translation 400 years old that does not use the oldest manuscripts.

13. Berserk

Berserk Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The posted video documents the facts of the KJV translation, not subjective opinion, apart from the narrator's opinion that the KJV is the greatest book ever written in the English language! I agree that no modern translation rivals it for majesty, despite its archaic language. My beef is with the error-filled Hebrew and Greek manuscripts on which it is based. The KJV translators simply lacked access to the earliest and most accurate texts in the original languages. On this point, I know no modern PhD Bible scholar, conservative or liberal who disagrees!

Consider the case of the bogus KJV ending to Mark (16:9-20). It is missing in the earliest manuscripts, is attributed in one manuscript to Aristo of Pella (c. 165 AD), has a totally different Greek style that betrays its non-Markan authorship, and contains this ghastly verse, which has sadly inspired many Appalachian Christians to kill themselves by handling Eastern Diamondback rattlers and drinking strychnine rat poison:

"These signs will accompany those who believe:...they will pick up (poisonous) serpents in their hands, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not hurt them (Mark 16:17-18)."

Listing these bizarre acts as "a sign" of the true "believer" is horrid, even if one tries to rationalize them by citing the accidental acts reported in Luke 10:19 and Acts 28:3-5.

There are 10 million variant readings in New Testament Greek manuscripts.
    The KJV is based on the latest and most corrupt of these manuscripts.
    Text Criticism is the science of retrieving a text as close as possible to the original. It does this first by grouping the manuscripts into families by date, locale, and patterns of known copy errors and then by discovering when, how, and why errors crept into the Greek text. It also compares the text with quotations of the same passage by church fathers who wrote before the manuscript in question. The KJV comes out the worst of all when subjected to such objective analysis. It always amazes me that the Christians who champion the highest view of biblical inspiration choose to use by far the most corrupt text. Many examples of this corruption could be provided. Most KJV Only people lack the intellectual integrity to read a scholarly book on Text Criticism, preferring instead to grieve the Spirit by dismissing all such scholars as ungodly and do so to slothfully avoid the hard work of honest and open inquiry. And I doubt that most KJV Only people have the integrity and interest to watch the posted objective and laudatory documentary on how the KJV was produced.

14. DoveSpirit05

DoveSpirit05 Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    I mean yeah!! the whole Christian theocracy agrees dat their are textual variants in the KJV but they don't take away they the original but I have both Hebrew and greek translations and ill check it out speshly dat "falling away" looks important but when u say it doesn't match the original greek are u talking about the textus receptors?

Helen likes this.
  15. Jamesthefirst

Jamesthefirst New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    I tried to follow the "why" of this post. Are we discussing a book or an anointed book that will take us to The Word and thereby we will hear him who was The word and the word was God. With that light shining on the page all things are possible.

Helen and Hidden In Him like this.
  16. Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    This is my position as well.
    About this, I believe in the principle that the shortest reading is with almost certainty likely the earliest. But now, I don't take the position that longer readings are necessarily not inspired. In fact, often the embellishments are in perfect agreement with how I believe the shorter reading should be taken. Applying this view (liberally, I admit) to the passage in Mark 16, I honestly don't have much problem with the passage itself, only with distorted applications of it. If anything, I see its inclusion as an attempt to retain divine manifestations of the supernatural power of God as identifying characteristics of the Christian faith, lest it be thought of as merely an intellectual religion, devoid of supernatural confirmations from an All-Powerful God like we have in much of Christianity today.

But yes, the KJV is a mess in places. Some readings are not just embellishments, they are flat out direct contradictions of the earliest readings.

Blessings in Christ, and hope you are well.

17. Hidden In Him

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I like this perspective, and welcome to Christianity Board!

I agree. As a student of original texts, I tend to have a hard time reading paraphrases, especially when the "translators" really read into the text their own interpretations and the end results resemble actual translations in almost no way whatsoever. But I came to feel the way you do here even about Bible paraphrases like The Living Bible and The Message in time. I still believe despite their numerous flaws, embellishments and inaccuracies that the Lord Jesus Christ can and will use them to reach people with His word : )

Now where they go in their spiritual development after the new birth is hopefully directed by the Spirit of God, but who should limit God in the matter, and forbid Him from saving some by whatever means possible?

Blessings in Christ, and nice to have you. Hope you stay awhile!
    Hidden

18. Enoch111

Enoch111 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    Did you know that the oldest manuscripts are the MOST CORRUPT? Therefore a hoax was perpetrated to claim that they are *the best*. So if you want the truth you will need to study the matter in depth, and access the writings of Burgon, Scrivener, Hills, etc. to understand what really happened.

Helen likes this.
  19. Hidden In Him

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Thank GOD we don't have to talk like that anymore.
    Wouldst drive me, forsooth, straight out of me ever-loving cranium, yea verily.

Willie T likes this.
  20. Willie T

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Hey, don't knock those "Thee's" and "Thou's." That's the language Jesus, Peter & Paul spoke...… and if the King James Bible was good enough for them to preach from, it is good enough for me.

amadeus and Hidden In Him like this.