Knowing "Truth"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus, himself said that His church (kingdom) was not a worldly organization.
Willie,

Are you talking about John 18:36? If not, which passage are you speaking of?

Mary

Last edited:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus, himself said that His church (kingdom) was not a worldly organization.
Hmmmmm.....so you know that the CC and The Church of Christ are not THE CHURCH....but, based on your (non)answer it appears you don't know which church is THE CHURCH spoken of in Scripture.

Thank You

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yet, we hardly ever hear anything expressed that way. Usually it is: "This is what is written... This is what that means... And that is all there is to it!. Anything other than what I have just shown you is the REAL meaning, is WRONG!!!!"

Totally true.

I have never been on any Christian website and found all those people missing...
I would say there are very few they say - " This is how I see it.."
Or, "this is what I believe until or unless God shows me something clearer.." And many such other phrases.
No, they are quick to say - " This is what the bible says, so it is truth and I am right."

The arrogance often gets to me...we can all say - " This is what the bible says..."....which is true...it is that interpretation of said bible, where the differences lay. The bible just IS. Man is not...
That is where faith comes in..we ask God in faith to show us Himself ...and hold what we believe that He has taught us, lightly , so that we always remain teachable.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What was written about church

Act 7:48 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,
Act 7:49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?
Act 7:50 Hath not my hand made all these things?
Act 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.
Act 7:52 Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers:

you will not find one man made church religion upon this earth from God, HE never made them, men did. All pure disobedience..

Reactions: Nancy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Lebanese Catholic, Kahlil Gibran, in his renowned poem, The Prophet, wrote: “Say not, “I have found the truth,” but rather, “I have found a truth.”

So many people seem to claim to have "found the truth"... meaning that they are possessors and proclaimers of all truth in their understandings of Scriptural passages... and they are more than willing to "graciously" pass that wealth of knowledge along to the rest of us floundering mortals.

What a shame not to understand that knowing the one who is "The Truth", is a far cry from suddenly "Knowing all truth" in your overflowing rush of wisdom.

Once the human ego gets involved ....things tend to get exaggerated to the benefit of self. So "a" truth is received as "the" truth...with a self-congratulatory appeal.
Hence today we have these divisions in the church centered on being the pillar and ground of "a" truth. Why does "exegesis" sound so much like "exit Jesus" anyway??

Reactions: Nancy and Acolyte

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lol jesus, woman, what is your problem

edit
sorry, I meant no offense, but was your sugar low or something?
No need to apologize.....I am used to you being vile and un-Christian like.

thanks for pointing out my typo......I corrected it....

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Willie,
I really don't want to do this with you (publically embarrass you) but since you in public view suggested that I was being deceptive I must in public view defend myself.
When you PARTIALLY QUOTE something that makes YOU look deceptive kiddo. Here is MORE to your PARTIAL quote:
Gibran was never a very orthodox Catholic. He was attracted to the person and sayings of Jesus but not to the organization (Maronites's). He also knew Buddhist literature and appreciated it for the same reason: useful advice on how to live. (Khalil Gibran: Spirits Rebellious)
Please provide your evidence that he was a practicing Catholic!!
Do you know why the Maronites took Gibran back?? I do....and the reason isn't because he asked to come back in good standing. You got some more research to do so your future statements on this matter will be less deceptive ;)
Patient and historical Mary
I have no idea why they took him back. But it is obvious they did ….. because he died in a Catholic hospital where they fully accepted him for treatment. Perhaps they wanted to have it known "one of theirs" was world famous..... or maybe he paid them enough money that they could look the other way?

What difference does it make how "orthodox" he was, or if he "practiced" like he was required to? The Church Officials were the ones who reinstated him, and recognized him as being Catholic.

As far as a "partial quote" goes, I quoted only what I was addressing. The other silliness of the CC being God's church was not, and will not be, addressed. The CC, just like every other organization with a name men gave it, is not God's church on earth. It is just a religious organization run by a board of directors in Italy.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lebanese Catholic, Kahlil Gibran, in his renowned poem, The Prophet, wrote: “Say not, “I have found the truth,” but rather, “I have found a truth.”

So many people seem to claim to have "found the truth"... meaning that they are possessors and proclaimers of all truth in their understandings of Scriptural passages... and they are more than willing to "graciously" pass that wealth of knowledge along to the rest of us floundering mortals.

What a shame not to understand that knowing the one who is "The Truth", is a far cry from suddenly "Knowing all truth" in your overflowing rush of wisdom.

Hi Willie T,

I think we forget what it's all about sometimes. We get caught up in our questions and confusions and understandings, and forget to just be with our God and Savior, and to love Him and love others. Yes. The rush for wisdom and knowledge can easily sidestep the One whom we seek to know.

Much love!
Mark

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've found many many times of those times I find I disagree with someone about a Scripture, there is a place where one of us or both of us are not taking the text as plainly as we can, and once we do, we find we agree.

I think many disagreements are more a matter of semantics than theology.

Since we're just people it can turn into tangled knots sometimes. But, well, my Scripture of the day is 1 Peter 5, Humble yourself under the mighty hand of God, and He will exalt you in due time, casting all your cares on Him for He cares for you;

Isaiah 55 tells us God sent His Word for a reason. When God started Jeremiah as His prophet, He told Jeremiah, "I am watching over My Word to perform it (I forget which translation that is).

We're told someplace to put on the new man who is being renewed according to the knowledge of the one creating him. And we gain that knowledge from the Bible.

Therefore:

God wants us to know Him.
God gave us His Word so that we could know Him.
God sees to it that His Word succeeds.
Our part . . . humble ourselves under His mighty hand - not ours!
And He will do the rest.

Do I need to get all up in arms because I think "someone is wrong on the internet"? Of course not. God called us to peace. I can be humble, He can do the heavy lifting.

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: Nancy and Acolyte

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Do I have to count every bill in a garbage bag full of cash found on the golf course before I can announce "I've hit the jackpot!"???

(brain pickers gotta pick LOL)

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot of people have found the truth, His name is Jesus, the problem is not many have "come into" the truth, to much religion, too much study, too much learning to much knowledge, too much of ones own wisdom, ones own understanding. All of God is like one big puzzle to which many have pieces, but to find the pieces one must ask God for wisdom, knowledge and understanding, but so few will ask and so few will find.
You listed a variety of reasons for what you think are people who have not "come into" the truth, Jesus. Don't see any verses posted to back up your claims, likely because there aren't any explicit verses, right?

Well, here's an explicit verse that you missed, but I'll help you: "Hereby we do know that we know Him if we keep His commandments. He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His commandments is a liar and the truth is not in him."

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When most of them may be counterfeit, "Yes."
What if the bag was marked "U.S. Mint" and you saw it fall off the back of a truck driven by two Fed execs who decided to get in a round of golf before getting back to ripping off Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Public?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You listed a variety of reasons for what you think are people who have not "come into" the truth, Jesus. Don't see any verses posted to back up your claims, likely because there aren't any explicit verses, right?

Well, here's an explicit verse that you missed, but I'll help you: "Hereby we do know that we know Him if we keep His commandments. He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His commandments is a liar and the truth is not in him."
Yes love you know that one that doesnt need laws, but than the law was made for sinners, ?? is the righteousness of Christ sin, would the spirit of God lead men to sin is Christ sin, if they are not than why do those in Christ need laws..

It is funny how one of the daughters of the whore should insist on telling the whore how ugly she is, all mens religions are an abomination. all seeds from the same pod.

Rev_17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.