Lake of Fire, Purpose

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In another thread talking about second death and going through the lake of fire, I began to wonder about it's purpose. Without quoting a lot of Scripture, it is my understanding that hell is not the final location of the damned.

Rather, hell is but a waiting room for the damned that on Judgment Day they will be taken to the lake of fire. (As I write this, I wonder about soul sleep; that we are all to be resurrected on that day, both the saved and the damned. Do the dead retain awareness of the passage of time - even upon being resurrected on resurrection day?)

Anyway, the 2nd death is said to be put into the Lake of Fire. What purpose does this serve? (Is the question beyond the scope of Scripture?)

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.

Hell in the Hebrew "Sheol" and "Hades" in the Greek (the same place) is a spiritual grave for the souls of those who have departed without Christ.

We know from Luke 16 this is a place of torment. But the bodies of these are in the grave.

At the Great White Throne of Judgement, These lost souls are called up from Hell and their bodies from the sea and graves, rejoined into the immortal just as the saints at their resurrection.

They are judged and cast into the lake of fire, the final place of eternal separation from God in torments with an immortal body.

Rev. 20:11-15

"And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve often wondered why there are worms in hell, what did a worm ever do
to God?

The presence of wormy things suggests that the corpse of folk that end up
executed in the lake of brimstone will remain in a perpetual state of
putrefaction.

Isa 66:22-24 . . From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to
another, all mankind will come and bow down before me: says the Lord. And
they will go out and look upon the dead bodies of those who rebelled against
me; their worm will not die, nor will their fire be quenched, and they will be
loathsome to all mankind.

Apparently the lake will be open to the public as a sort of tourist attraction
like the skeletons of prehistoric beasts on display in the La Brea Tar Pits
museum in Los Angeles. The lake's appearance will no doubt be that of a
ghastly beef stew what with all the human carrion floating around out there
like apples in a bobbing tub.

A worm that thrives in brimstone is pretty amazing, but not unreasonable.
The 4-inch Pompeii worm lives in sea water temperatures of 176°
Fahrenheit: hot enough to kill salmonella and sanitize an egg. So I guess if
God could create a worm like the Pompeii, it shouldn't be too difficult for Him
to create worms that like it even warmer.

Brimstone consists of molten sulfur, which gives off a noxious vapor that's
not only quite toxic, but smells bad too. Fortunately the people in the lake
will be dead so they won't choke on the fumes. There's a good side to
everything I guess, even that place.
_

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In another thread talking about second death and going through the lake of fire, I began to wonder about it's purpose. Without quoting a lot of Scripture, it is my understanding that hell is not the final location of the damned.

Rather, hell is but a waiting room for the damned that on Judgment Day they will be taken to the lake of fire. (As I write this, I wonder about soul sleep; that we are all to be resurrected on that day, both the saved and the damned. Do the dead retain awareness of the passage of time - even upon being resurrected on resurrection day?)

Anyway, the 2nd death is said to be put into the Lake of Fire. What purpose does this serve? (Is the question beyond the scope of Scripture?)

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.
What is a flame? Is it not the released energy that bonds material (molecules, etc.) together. Dust to dust (ashes).
Metaphysically, the flame disassembles whatever is not of the Greater Truth / Greater Reality.
After Adam and Eve were cast out, God placed a flaming sword to guard the path to the Tree of Life.
The sword symbolizes the Word of God (Hebrews 4:12) and the flame symbolizes Truth.
The Word of God is Truth. Only the True can access the Tree of Life.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve often wondered why there are worms in hell, what did a worm ever do to God?
Ghandi and budda would say they are our grandparents . But the worm is a description of death .
And some are gonna have an eternal place of the second death .
JESUS alone saves and one must confess Him by mouth and believe from the heart that GOD rose HIM from the dead to be saved .

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The Spirit is the Spirit of God, who is alive. Our body is dust, which it will return to as will God's Spirit return to God.
Are you there, Wrangler?
I hope you will consider this verse sufficient to distinguish between the Holy Spirit and the human spirit.

Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

Reactions: Wrangler

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every thing your soul ( senses, eyes, ears, nose, taste, touch enjoys now...does not exist in hell ).
Precious friend, Taken, you kinda confused me at first, I think you meant:

Every thing your soul ( senses, eyes, ears, nose, taste, touch ) enjoys now...does not exist in hell.

;)

Reactions: Taken

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hell in the Hebrew "Sheol" and "Hades" in the Greek (the same place) is a spiritual grave for the souls of those who have departed without Christ.

We know from Luke 16 this is a place of torment. But the bodies of these are in the grave.

At the Great White Throne of Judgement, These lost souls are called up from Hell and their bodies from the sea and graves, rejoined into the immortal just as the saints at their resurrection.

They are judged and cast into the lake of fire, the final place of eternal separation from God in torments with an immortal body.

Rev. 20:11-15

"And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."
the question can be asked; what is the ultimate purpose of fire? Is it not to consume? to destroy that which it touches?
If the whole world were ablaze, would not the term 'lake of fire' be apt?

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the question can be asked; what is the ultimate purpose of fire? Is it not to consume? to destroy that which it touches?
I suppose if you look at it from the UR standpoint it would be that.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Seven verses that show it's all going to burn.

2Pe 3:7-13 But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. (8) But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. (9) The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. (10) But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. (11) Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, (12) looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat? (13) Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Seven verses that show it's all going to burn.

2Pe 3:7-13 But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. (8) But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. (9) The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. (10) But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. (11) Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, (12) looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat? (13) Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.
So once everything is consumed there is nothing left, subsequently nothing more to consume. This clearly tells us the fate of the wicked.

Reactions: amadeus

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
nothing more to consume.
Nothing consumable, but natural material fire and supernatural spiritual fire serve different purposes.

Mat 25:41 "Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nothing consumable, but natural material fire and supernatural spiritual fire serve different purposes.

Mat 25:41 "Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
The fire consumes till the fuel is gone. 'Everlasting' is a figure of speech.....we even use it today, eg, the firemen said, we couldn't put the fire out; it burnt forever. Does that mean it is still burning today? of course not.
It also tells us it is the Earth that will be destroyed by fire

Your quote in post #31 of 2 Peter 3:10 tells us it will be 'burnt up' ....and when it is done there will be nothing left to burn.
Sin, sinners including the devil and his angels will be consumed in the fire where the elements will melt.
Could it be that in order for the elements to melt it will be thermo nuclear?

In regards to your 'spiritual fire', that is loading the text with what it does not say.

Reactions: amadeus and APAK

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
the underlined verse implies the fire is ongoing until the day of judgment. The heavens and earth is speaking of first century Jewish men/women.
Jude 1:1 KJV
[1] Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:

Last edited: