Lake of Fire, Purpose

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In another thread talking about second death and going through the lake of fire, I began to wonder about it's purpose. Without quoting a lot of Scripture, it is my understanding that hell is not the final location of the damned.

Rather, hell is but a waiting room for the damned that on Judgment Day they will be taken to the lake of fire. (As I write this, I wonder about soul sleep; that we are all to be resurrected on that day, both the saved and the damned. Do the dead retain awareness of the passage of time - even upon being resurrected on resurrection day?)

Anyway, the 2nd death is said to be put into the Lake of Fire. What purpose does this serve? (Is the question beyond the scope of Scripture?)

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.

Reactions: Nancy and dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In another thread talking about second death and going through the lake of fire, I began to wonder about it's purpose. Without quoting a lot of Scripture, it is my understanding that hell is not the final location of the damned.

Rather, hell is but a waiting room for the damned that on Judgment Day they will be taken to the lake of fire. (As I write this, I wonder about soul sleep; that we are all to be resurrected on that day, both the saved and the damned. Do the dead retain awareness of the passage of time - even upon being resurrected on resurrection day?)

Anyway, the 2nd death is said to be put into the Lake of Fire. What purpose does this serve? (Is the question beyond the scope of Scripture?)

Hell is the same purpose as a prison. It is to lock up repeat offenders so they don't trouble and harm others that are law abiding citizens. It is that death and hell were both cast into the lake of fire to allow for the eternal lives of the saved. Those that are in hell are in that prison awaiting their sentences in the lake of fire which is similar to capital punishment. And it's no wonder why we have prisons since the idea of a prison probably comes from the spirit on how to deal with repeat offenders.

Revelation 20:14 "And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death."

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

Hi Wrangler,
I have come to understand the Lake of Fire to be the theographic location of God's Wrath.

Also, it seems to me the suggestion of soul sleep is not compatible with the answer Jesus gave the Sadducees.

Mat 22:32
'I AM THE GOD OF ABRAHAM, THE GOD OF ISAAC, AND THE GOD OF JACOB' ? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living."

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, it seems to me the suggestion of soul sleep is not compatible with the answer Jesus gave the Sadducees.

But soul sleep is compatible with Jesus saying the young girl of the Roman centurion was sleeping, then confirming she was dead.

51-52 As they approached the house, the whole neighborhood was full of the sound of mourning—weeping, wailing, loud crying. Jesus told everyone to stay outside—everyone except Peter, John, James, and, of course, the girl’s father and mother.

Jesus (to the mourners): Please stop weeping. The girl isn’t dead. She’s only asleep.

53 They knew for certain that she was dead, so their bitter tears now mixed with mocking laughter.
Luke 8:52-53 (Voice)

Reactions: dev553344

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
But soul sleep is compatible with Jesus saying the young girl of the Roman centurion was sleeping, then confirming she was dead.

51-52 As they approached the house, the whole neighborhood was full of the sound of mourning—weeping, wailing, loud crying. Jesus told everyone to stay outside—everyone except Peter, John, James, and, of course, the girl’s father and mother.

Jesus (to the mourners): Please stop weeping. The girl isn’t dead. She’s only asleep.

53 They knew for certain that she was dead, so their bitter tears now mixed with mocking laughter.
Luke 8:52-53 (Voice)
Yes, the biblical terminology is one thing but the biblical doctrine is another.

1Th 5:9-10 For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, (10) who died for us, that whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him.

The biblical terminology means the body is dead, but the biblical doctrine is that the spirit is alive.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The Spirit is the Spirit of God, who is alive. Our body is dust, which it will return to as will God's Spirit return to God.
Either way, your belief above or the orthodox Christian belief of individual spirits, in biblical terminology when the body is dead the person is said to be sleeping, and their spirit absent from their body and present with the Lord.

2Co 5:1-10 For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. (2) For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, (3) if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. (4) For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. (5) Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee. (6) So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. (7) For we walk by faith, not by sight. (8) We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord. (9) Therefore we make it our aim, whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him. (10) For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Daniel 7:9-11 KJV
[9] I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire. [10] A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened. [11] I beheld then because of the voice of the great words which the horn spake: I beheld even till the beast was slain, and his body destroyed, and given to the burning flame.
Seems as if this burning lake of fire issues from His throne.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Daniel 7:9-11 KJV
[9] I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire. [10] A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened. [11] I beheld then because of the voice of the great words which the horn spake: I beheld even till the beast was slain, and his body destroyed, and given to the burning flame.
Seems as if this burning lake of fire issues from His throne.
Good point. Amazing special effects.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 20:10 KJV
[10] And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Yes, scripture also seems to indicate some type of a solar and lunar cycle there.
Yes, I've spent some time on this apparent contradiction because it also arises in relation to the fruit yielded by the Tree of Life. The word month derives from the word moon and implies a division of duration based on the moon's orbit. Given that there is no need for light from the sun and and moon and no night in heaven, I have reached the conclusion that the difficulty is one of language being inadequate to describe the eternal state of continuity so the temporal memes of day and night and month are used to imply the perpetuity that exists in the afterlife.

Rev 21:22-25 But I saw no temple in it, for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. (23) The city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God illuminated it. The Lamb is its light. (24) And the nations of those who are saved shall walk in its light, and the kings of the earth bring their glory and honor into it. (25) Its gates shall not be shut at all by day (there shall be no night there).

Rev 22:1-5 And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding from the throne of God and of the Lamb. (2) In the middle of its street, and on either side of the river, was the tree of life, which bore twelve fruits, each tree yielding its fruit every month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. (3) And there shall be no more curse, but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it, and His servants shall serve Him. (4) They shall see His face, and His name shall be on their foreheads. (5) There shall be no night there: They need no lamp nor light of the sun, for the Lord God gives them light. And they shall reign forever and ever.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I believe "soul sleep", was a term, when a mans body, was called a man, and a mans soul was called a man....and a physically dead body was called "asleep", to be raised again.
"There is no soul sleep".
All souls are alive.
Living souls separate, leave, depart a dying body.
Body's return to the earth.
Saved souls go to Paradise, (in Heaven),
Unsaved souls go to Hell.
(Each waiting for judgement).
(A thing called a DEAD soul, is the same as an unsaved soul...dead to God).

The Unsaved living souls in hell are in complete misery...void of God, void of beautiful things to look at , void pleasant smells, void of laughter and plesasantries....
Every thing your soul ( senses, eyes, ears, nose, taste, touch enjoys now...does not exist in hell ).

Glory to God,
Taken

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Unsaved living souls in hell are in complete misery...void of God, void of beautiful things to look at , void pleasant smells, void of laughter and plesasantries....
Every thing your soul ( senses, eyes, ears, nose, taste, touch enjoys now...does not exist in hell ).

you do realize you’ve just described a large percentage of the human race?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

What hell is can only be understood through the eyes of a loving God with tears.....and its not to cry for those whom some say he is happy to fry on an ongoing basis but rather because they choose to push life away from themselves. We know it as suicide.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lake of Fire, Purpose
OP ^

Lake of Fire ...
Fire appears scripturally as;
An unpleasant corrective punishment;
A purifier correction of unpurified;
A place of purification;
A sign to see results of fire;
A means to change that which is in contact with fire;
A cause stemming from ultimate Power; i.e.~ God.

Lake OF Fire ...
Appears to be a final destination for the most wicked anti-Christs, anti-God, anti-believers.

* Most Wicked - being those who Rejected God, Encouraged others to not Believe "AND" persecuted those who Believed, Expressly Because they believed.

(Not suffering death, but rather suffering remaining alive and forever separated from God and His Gifts, of peace, comfort and joy)

* Also - A final destination for those whose names are not found in the Book of Life...or Lambs Book of Life.
(Book of Life; Name entered, when naturally born...
Then Blotted Out.
And Or;
(Name never entered, into the Lambs Book of Life...option to become IN Christ, (after Christ was revealed), (and rejected.)

* Blotted Out - appears will be judged per the Book,
and Body (already void of its life Blood.. and Soul (void of life, as its life is Gods breath, and returns to God)
....Then lifeless body and lifeless soul, thrown into the Lake of Fire, (not alive),
Destroyed, burnt to Ash, eternal darkness, and eternal separation from God, and eternally forgotten.

Name Not blotted out from Book of Life?
But also had knowledge of Christ, but rejected? (At time of natural death)
Name not entered into Lambs Book of Life?
I lean toward - They become Saved unto God, (given knowledge of Christ) but not Saved unto Christ...
Their destination? (My opinion)
They will not occupy a renewed Earth, The Earthly Kingdom. (Per the 1,000 years OR thereafter in the world wide Kingdom).
Rather, they will, be renewed (saved), and will eternally be before God in Heaven, Worshiping God.

Lake of Fire Also is where DEATH and HADES (Hell itself) is thrown into..
Thereafter Judgement, nothing that is Alive, can Die. Death eliminated, A place (hell) to contain anything destin for Death eliminated...thus destroyed by fire of the Lake of Fire.

Just a brief, a study thereof is much deeper.

Glory to God,
Taken