LDS Christians believe 1 in God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On things I love about the Gospel, that I wee all throughout scripture, is the importance of true study & that God speaks to man. He is unchanging that way. Christ is a PERSONAL Savior. No matter how how lowly or sinful you are, God reaches out to you personally, going for that lost sheep. He speaks and leads you, just as much as He did Moses or Peter back in olden days. Yes, properly understood scripture is critical. Yes, other humans can help lead or encourage. But nothing replaces that upmost important relationship between you + God.

That's a major reason I attend at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Reactions: amadeus

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Creedal Christians believe that too. But the Athanasian Creed adds to this by including how the Father/Son/Spirit are one through a shared substance
Since the Holy Spirit is called "the Spirit of God" as well as "the Spirit of Christ" (even though He is distinct from both the Father and the Son) it follows that the three persons within the Godhead are indeed of one "substance" (or one "essence" if these words should even be used).

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since the Holy Spirit is called "the Spirit of God" as well as "the Spirit of Christ" (even though He is distinct from both the Father and the Son) it follows that the three persons within the Godhead are indeed of one "substance" (or one "essence" if these words should even be used).
The Bible does not state anything about “substance”.

Believing that the Father, Son, and Spirit are 3 person in 1 God, that I am 100% on board with.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Random thought of the day—
One of the things I rejoice so much about the Gospel/ God is His continuous love for me ( and everyone else too, but I’m talking about me for now). How He’s there for me when I stumble. How He listens to my silly rants about good times and frustrations. How He always speaks to me. How He’s always diligent and never falters, even when I so regularly fall on my face.

My heart is overflowing with love and gratitude today.

Reactions: amadeus

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible does not state anything about “substance”.

Believing that the Father, Son, and Spirit are 3 person in 1 God, that I am 100% on board with.
I'd like to preface my comment by saying that I so wish all Christians believed alike. That would be so nice and would make being a Christian so much easier and make us all feel so much more connected to the whole of Christianity.

Having said that, I believe what the Bible teaches and everything that clearly coincides with that.

My question is: How do you reconcile the fact that 3 distinct (different) persons cannot be the same (one) god? It's impossible and, at a minimum, very confusing. God is not the author of confusion. 1 Corinthians 14:33

By the Trinitarians' own definition,
533px-Shield-Trinity-Scutum-Fidei-English.svg.png

...they are 3 separate and different persons.

When asked this question, no pastor/preacher has ever given an adequate explanation.

The only response that I have ever witnessed being given - in real life or online, that actually addresses this directly, is that it is all one big mystery that Christians are just supposed to blindly accept without question.

Which, ... is not an answer.

Especially when it is not God, or the Bible, that has made this claim, it is man, alone.

Do you have any new perspective on this issue? I would love to be convinced that the Trinity is a Biblical, and viable, reality, but no one and nothing has cleared this up even a little bit for me. And I'm far from alone in this regard.

The majority of Christians who embrace the Trinity are completely confused about this concept and simply choose to go along to get along without even knowing all of the contradictory facets of the concept because they're afraid to ask any questions or do any research of their own.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd like to preface my comment by saying that I so wish all Christians believed alike. That would be so nice and would make being a Christian so much easier and make us all feel so much more connected to the whole of Christianity.

Having said that, I believe what the Bible teaches and everything that clearly coincides with that.

My question is: How do you reconcile the fact that 3 distinct (different) persons cannot be the same (one) god? It's impossible and, at a minimum, very confusing. God is not the author of confusion. 1 Corinthians 14:33

When asked this question, no pastor/preacher has ever given an adequate explanation.

The only response that I have ever witnessed being given - in real life or online, that actually addresses this directly, is that it is all one big mystery that Christians are just supposed to blindly accept without question.

Especially when it is not God, or the Bible, that has made this claim, it is man, alone.

Do you have any new perspective on this issue? I would love to be convinced that the Trinity is a Biblical, and viable, reality, but no one and nothing has cleared this up even a little bit for me. And I'm far from alone in this regard.

The majority of Christians who embrace the Trinity are completely confused about this concept and simply choose to go along to get along without even knowing all of the contradictory facets of the concept because they're afraid to ask any questions or do any research of their own.
It's my understanding that God is a spirit. They all share this spirit in a way. I don't really care to dissect God as it's not important to me. What is important is that God loves us and wants us to be with him. And the bible tells us what we must do to repent and provide works meet for repentance in hopes that God will forgive us. So that one day he might resurrect us and bring us into heaven.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I read John 17 and rest of the Bible, seeing how multiple persons can be one. One through unity of heart, will, goodness, grace, power, etc. The Father, Son, and Spirit are one that way.

Note: I am not a Creedal Christian, and I reject the “the Trinity doesn’t make sense you’re just supposed to believe it” response.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Muslims believe in one god too , but it aint the true GOD .
Joseph smith and his doctrine was and still is very dangerous .
Its not enough for us to say we beleive in ONE GOD .
Many also preach another jesus and another gospel .
We must open our bibles and learn THAT GOD , THAT CHRIST and learn the doctrine of the apostels as well .
Even the jews claimed ONE GOD . AND YET JESUS said , IF GOD was your father you would love me .
HE even told them Satan was their father . SO , Yeah many are following another god and yet think ITS GOD
just as many follow another JESUS and think its JESUS , just like many embrace another gospel , WHICH IS NO GOSPEL .
OPEN bibles my friends . Let us make sure our calling and our election . MAKE SURE its JESUS CHRIST we follow
and not men who have taught many destructive heresays IN HIS NAME . AND KNEW HIM NOT .

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Muslims believe in one god too , but it aint the true GOD .
Joseph smith and his doctrine was and still is very dangerous .
Its not enough for us to say we beleive in ONE GOD .
Many also preach another jesus and another gospel .
We must open our bibles and learn THAT GOD , THAT CHRIST and learn the doctrine of the apostels as well .
Even the jews claimed ONE GOD . AND YET JESUS said , IF GOD was your father you would love me .
HE even told them Satan was their father . SO , Yeah many are following another god and yet think ITS GOD
just as many follow another JESUS and think its JESUS , just like many embrace another gospel , WHICH IS NO GOSPEL .
OPEN bibles my friends . Let us make sure our calling and our election . MAKE SURE its JESUS CHRIST we follow
and not men who have taught many destructive heresays IN HIS NAME . AND KNEW HIM NOT .
If you would like to ask me about my beliefs in Christ and listen to my answers, I welcome that.

If you don’t care about what I actually believe and just want to tell me how I’m wrong, I politely (again) ask you to not waste anyone’s time by posting here.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's my understanding that God is a spirit. They all share this spirit in a way. I don't really care to dissect God as it's not important to me. What is important is that God loves us and wants us to be with him. And the bible tells us what we must do to repent and provide works meet for repentance in hopes that God will forgive us. So that one day he might resurrect us and bring us into heaven.
Well, this sounds friendly and innocent enough, but it doesn't take into account that there are many counterfeit gods that do exist. They are demons that take many god-like identities and happily accept worship from the unsuspecting.

That is why it is paramount that we take an interest in who, and what, the God of the Bible, of heaven and earth, of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob truly is. There are many false religions that worship false gods. It would be very easy to identify God incorrectly and mis-guide, intentionally or naively, Christians to worship the wrong god.

If it's not important to you who, and what, God is, ... you might wanna check your Christian profession.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read John 17 and rest of the Bible, seeing how multiple persons can be one. One through unity of heart, will, goodness, grace, power, etc.
Yes, we can all be of one intent; via the heart, mind and strength, etc. We are not ONE god.

The Father, Son, and Spirit are one that way.
They are ONE God, as scripture states from Genesis to Revelation, but they are not three people.

You will not find a single verse anywhere in the entirety of scripture that states such a thing. I have searched for many years.

Note: I am not a Creedal Christian, and I reject the “the Trinity doesn’t make sense you’re just supposed to believe it” response.
Then how do you make sense of it? When even those who are honored as being the most educated and most highly honored as Pastors and Preachers and Teachers are claiming that the Trinity cannot be understood; that it is simply a mystery, how do you justify its acceptance by Christians?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, we can all be of one intent; via the heart, mind and strength, etc. We are not ONE god.

They are ONE God, as scripture states from Genesis to Revelation, but they are not three people.

You will not find a single verse anywhere in the entirety of scripture that states such a thing. I have searched for many years.

Then how do you make sense of it? When even those who are honored as being the most educated and most highly honored as Pastors and Preachers and Teachers are claiming that the Trinity cannot be understood; that it is simply a mystery, how do you justify its acceptance by Christians?
I reject the Creedal concept of the Trinity. I do not find it supported on scripture, see my earlier statements about “substance “.

I acknowledge your view, and respect it as an extension as you.

As for me, I see scripture teaching of three different persons, United as one God.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you would like to ask me about my beliefs in Christ and listen to my answers, I welcome that.

If you don’t care about what I actually believe and just want to tell me how I’m wrong, I politely (again) ask you to not waste anyone’s time by posting here.
To be honest, the title of the thread is a bit deceptive.

Catholics also believe in 1 god as you describe LDS believing.

Pentecostals believe in 1 God as well without the Trinitarian twist.

I only wish to discuss some of these aspects with you to make sure you understand some of the facets that totally contradict such a concept of 3 different people as 'one' god and then I'll leave you to it.

No real need for me to camp out here. Most who embrace this doctrine will never even look at it another way because the men they deem the authorities on the matter have said it is so and so be it.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, this sounds friendly and innocent enough, but it doesn't take into account that there are many counterfeit gods that do exist. They are demons that take many god-like identities and happily accept worship from the unsuspecting.

That is why it is paramount that we take an interest in who, and what, the God of the Bible, of heaven and earth, of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob truly is. There are many false religions that worship false gods. It would be very easy to identify God incorrectly and mis-guide, intentionally or naively, Christians to worship the wrong god.

If it's not important to you who, and what, God is, ... you might wanna check your Christian profession.
Personally I think you're making more out of it than what it is. All we need know is that there is the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. Anything more or less is not required learning for us humans. Let's not over intellectualize.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be honest, the title of the thread is a bit deceptive.

Catholics also believe in 1 god as you describe LDS believing.

Pentecostals believe in 1 God as well without the Trinitarian twist.

I only wish to discuss some of these aspects with you to make sure you understand some of the facets that totally contradict such a concept of 3 different people as 'one' god and then I'll leave you to it.

No real need for me to camp out here. Most who embrace this doctrine will never even look at it another way because the men they deem the authorities on the matter have said it is so and so be it.
Ok, and where, using verses from scripture, do you see that?

You can't just claim scripture teaches this and that without producing the verses to prove it.

I know for a fact it does not teach those things so I'd like the opportunity to show you that verse by verse.
Ok, and where, using verses from scripture, do you see that?

You can't just claim scripture teaches this and that without producing the verses to prove it.

I know for a fact it does not teach those things so I'd like the opportunity to show you that verse by verse.
I started this thread explaining what LDS Christians, such as myself, believe about God. 1 God, 3 divine persons. John 17 being great illustration of this.

This is not a debate thread. I’m not here to debate you or anyone else. If you wish to debate, you may start your own thread on the matter.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally I think you're making more out of it than what it is. All we need know is that there is the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. Anything more or less is not required learning for us humans. Let's not over intellectualize.
That's a very passive, bare-minimum-Christian, stance.

Was Jesus bare-minimum? Were His accomplishments and sacrifice very laid back and non-chalant?

The Bible wasn't written to encourage Christians to not learn as much as they possibly could about God and His Ways and His preferences and what He loves and what He hates.

Most Christians, like yourself, believe it's all about believing in God, loving Him and loving your neighbor. Do you know that describes the vast majority of New Age religions and belief systems throughout the world? Do you think God intended His very special people, who He Himself referred to as peculiar (very unique and unusual), to be just like the rest of the world?

Your passive, and bare-minimum luke-warm, attitude about God and the Bible will be shared with the countless masses that plead 'Lord, Lord' on the day we all find out how much over-intellectualization is necessary to please God as His servants.

Sounds to me like you can't be bothered to pick up a book. Good luck with that.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I started this thread explaining what LDS Christians, such as myself, believe about God. 1 God, 3 divine persons. John 17 being great illustration of this.
You have not specified one single verse, you have posted an entire chapter. I am intimately familiar with the book of John and chapter 17 lists no such thing whatsoever as God being 3 people anywhere.

I have simply asked that you show us where you get the proof for your belief. You are choosing not to produce any. The closest John 17 gets to what you claim is Jesus speaking to the Father and claiming that THEY TWO are one. There is no verse that exists that claims that the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are 3 people and ONE god.

This is not a debate thread. I’m not here to debate you or anyone else. If you wish to debate, you may start your own thread on the matter.
I have every right to be posting in this thread.

You started a thread and made a statement. I am "discussing" that claim with you, and anybody here. That is how this all works. You can call it a debate thread if you like. It's not like you started a thread about what color flowers were your favorite. You are making claims about the LDS church and your beliefs about scripture as such. That is open game for discussion. Is it not?

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have not specified one single verse, you have posted an entire chapter. I am intimately familiar with the book of John and chapter 17 lists no such thing whatsoever as God being 3 people anywhere.

I have simply asked that you show us where you get the proof for your belief. You are choosing not to produce any. The closest John 17 gets to what you claim is Jesus speaking to the Father and claiming that THEY TWO are one. There is no verse that exists that claims that the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are 3 people and ONE god.

I have every right to be posting in this thread and I'll continue to do so until I'm done.

You started a thread and made a statement. I am "discussing" that claim with you, and anybody here. That is how this all works. You can call it a debate thread if you like. It's not like you started a thread about what color flowers were your favorite. You are making claims about the LDS church and your beliefs about scripture as such. That is open game for discussion. Is it not?

The truth of the matter is that you don't like what I have to say and you can't prove me wrong using scripture.
Again: if you wish to debate, start your own thread in the debate section.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a very passive, bare-minimum-Christian, stance.

Was Jesus bare-minimum? Were His accomplishments and sacrifice very laid back and non-chalant?

The Bible wasn't written to encourage Christians to not learn as much as they possibly could about God and His Ways and His preferences and what He loves and what He hates.

Most Christians, like yourself, believe it's all about believing in God, loving Him and loving your neighbor. Do you know that describes the vast majority of New Age religions and belief systems throughout the world? Do you think God intended His very special people, who He Himself referred to as peculiar (very unique and unusual), to be just like the rest of the world?

Your passive, and bare-minimum luke-warm, attitude about God and the Bible will be shared with the countless masses that plead 'Lord, Lord' on the day we all find out how much over-intellectualization is necessary to please God as His servants.

Sounds to me like you can't be bothered to pick up a book. Good luck with that.
OK, well I'll leave the dissection up to you. I should caution you that getting in there can lead to blasphemy.