Left behind- interesting christian movie

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I just watched it again and it was / must have been a different one ????????

It was not as good as I remember , but it could help a non believer in some way to
think maybe they need to do some thinking ????? I would hope so !
Maybe Hollywood will make a "Christian" movie that portrays your church as anti-Christian
but it could help a non believer in some way to think maybe they need to do some thinking.

Get it?

Reactions: GodsGrace

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just watched it again and it was / must have been a different one ????????

It was not as good as I remember , but it could help a non believer in some way to
think maybe they need to do some thinking ????? I would hope so !

Unfortunately my friend this method has been tried before by all the fire and brimstone preachers of the past, i.e. lets scare them into believing. This method fells to develop true faith, for one cannot truly love with all their heart, mind and soul the God which these preachers depict.

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do not think that would give a non believer doubt ? Maybe they would ask questions ?
Or try to listen to other Christian people talking ? About GOD , and the bible ?
Yes
good point
for that matter, the movie is more for the unbeliever than the believer

Reactions: Willie T

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Unfortunately my friend this method has been tried before by all the fire and brimstone preachers of the past, i.e. lets scare them into believing. This method fells to develop true faith, for one cannot truly love with all their heart, mind and soul the God which these preachers depict.
Good point. Christianity spreads itself by attraction, not by intimidation.

B

brakelite

The unbeliever watches the chaos depicted in the movie, adds his own imagination to all the potential disasters that would most assuredly ensue following the sudden disappearance of Christians in essential positions in the work force, and rightly ask, is God so heartless as to let so many innocent fall out of the sky...drive off bridges...get run over...left to die on operating tables etc etc. Make the non-believer think? Sure, but hardly favourably.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Left behind is an interesting Christian movie. I highly recommend checking
it out.

I watched all three including Tribulation Force and the third one I can't remember right now. The books are much better (I have read all of those and love them). I am personally a fan of any Christian movie, media also can be used to bring glory to God, but yeh, man is making it, so discrepancies need to be taken into consideration. I mainly look for the lessons instead of the Theology. Now I thought Hollywood massacred "Noah". If I had to pick a fave it would actually be the animated cartoon "The Prince of Egypt." But that is off topic. :D

Yeh, I love Tim Lahaye's books and thought Left Behind was a great movie.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The unbeliever watches the chaos depicted in the movie, adds his own imagination to all the potential disasters that would most assuredly ensue following the sudden disappearance of Christians in essential positions in the work force, and rightly ask, is God so heartless as to let so many innocent fall out of the sky...drive off bridges...get run over...left to die on operating tables etc etc. Make the non-believer think? Sure, but hardly favourably.

Good post...and we totally agree.
The Rapture "theory" may make for a good box office sale...as did his books.
Just a pity that it one big false lie.
God forgive all the Pastors who have propagated this ...:oops:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Just a pity that it one big false lie.
What's a lie? That there will be a Rapture or that it will be before the Tribulation?

Looks like you've accepted some propaganda, so kindly tell us verse by verse what you read and what you understand in 1 Thess 4:13-18.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I personally, am not a Rapture theology believer. As Leonard Ravenhill once said ~ "Today’s church wants to be raptured from responsibility."

Ditto...believed it once...not at all anymore. I think this must be why He gives us so many warnings in the bible and to be built up it the faith-to be strong in Him when the tribulation hits. Must be wearing the Armor of God, always. Amen.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 24:21,22 and Mark 13:19,20 (Jesus speaking) For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be. And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved (survive); but for THE ELECT's sake whom He hath chosen, He hath shortened the days.<---saints still here.

Reactions: Rollo Tamasi

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am convinced that when the Rapture occurs there will be those that turn to Christ and say, "I guess you didn't get the memo."

Stranger

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's a theory..no more, no less.
If we live and walk as God called us...we will be ready either way.
If we expect to be zapped out of trouble..and persecution...when it doesn't happen what's left of the church will be devastated and in confusion.

God did not give us " The whole armour of God " and equip the saints Eph. to suddenly zap them out!!! God has never told His people to run from anything.
He has always said..'advance in My Name. '

But people will always prefer to believe that somehow they can save their skin.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we expect to be zapped out of trouble..and persecution...when it doesn't happen what's left of the church will be devastated and in confusion.

God did not give us " The whole armour of God " and equip the saints Eph. to suddenly zap them out!!! God has never told His people to run from anything.

Would that all of us knew God as you do.

Reactions: GodsGrace

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What's a lie? That there will be a Rapture or that it will be before the Tribulation?

Looks like you've accepted some propaganda, so kindly tell us verse by verse what you read and what you understand in 1 Thess 4:13-18.

A snippet from John Pipers view/with scripture:
"Then he gives two arguments in verse 3 which he unfolds in verses 4–12. First, we know the day of the Lord hasn't come because the rebellion, or the apostasy, must come first. And second, the man of lawlessness has to be revealed before the day of the Lord arrives: "For that day will not come, unless the rebellion [or: apostasy] comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed" (verse 3).
Then in verses 4–9 Paul describes the coming of the man of lawlessness and in verses 9–12 he describes the climax of the great apostasy.

The Pre-Tribulational View of the Second Coming
One of the questions that I want to deal with tonight is where the rapture fits in here. There is a large wing of the evangelical church today that believes the second coming of Christ is going to happen in two stages. First, Christ will come for the church; they will rise to meet him in the air, return with him to heaven for a period of seven years, and then after the great tribulation is over, return to the earth in judgment. This view of the second coming is called the "pre-tribulational" view because it says that Christ comes for the church before the tribulation.

This view has been popularized by the notes in the Scofield Reference Bible and by many Bible schools and some seminaries. It was the basis of Hal Lindsay's Late Great Planet Earth, and has inspired songs and movies about the sudden disappearance of the Christians out of the world at the time of rapture.

One Argument for the Post-Tribulational View
Tonight I hope to take this issue up in more detail. But for now let me just show you one of several arguments from 2 Thessalonians why I cannot follow this interpretation, as much as I love and respect those who do. Why am I a post-tribulationist, that is, why do I look forward with great anticipation not to a sudden departure from the world for seven years but to a great gathering to meet the Lord in the air as he comes with his mighty angels in flaming fire to establish his earthly kingdom, giving rest to his people and judgment to his enemies?

What the Thessalonians Were Alarmed About
The saints at Thessalonica were shaken and alarmed thinking that the day of the Lord is at hand. Now for the pre-tribulationist the "Day of the Lord" is the second half of the second coming after the tribulation. It is described in verse 8: "And then the lawless one will be revealed, and the Lord Jesus will slay him with the breath of his mouth and destroy him by his appearing and his coming."

This is the day of the Lord—not the quiet rapture when the saints are snatched away, but the glorious and overwhelming attack from heaven against the man of lawlessness and all evil."

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A snippet from John Pipers view/with scripture
Your quote is from 2 Thess. The Rapture passage is in 1 Thess
This is the day of the Lord—not the quiet rapture when the saints are snatched away, but the glorious and overwhelming attack from heaven against the man of lawlessness and all evil."
Looks like Piper is totally confused about this matter.

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A snippet from John Pipers view/with scripture:
"Then he gives two arguments in verse 3 which he unfolds in verses 4–12. First, we know the day of the Lord hasn't come because the rebellion, or the apostasy, must come first. And second, the man of lawlessness has to be revealed before the day of the Lord arrives: "For that day will not come, unless the rebellion [or: apostasy] comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed" (verse 3).
Then in verses 4–9 Paul describes the coming of the man of lawlessness and in verses 9–12 he describes the climax of the great apostasy.

The Pre-Tribulational View of the Second Coming
One of the questions that I want to deal with tonight is where the rapture fits in here. There is a large wing of the evangelical church today that believes the second coming of Christ is going to happen in two stages. First, Christ will come for the church; they will rise to meet him in the air, return with him to heaven for a period of seven years, and then after the great tribulation is over, return to the earth in judgment. This view of the second coming is called the "pre-tribulational" view because it says that Christ comes for the church before the tribulation.

This view has been popularized by the notes in the Scofield Reference Bible and by many Bible schools and some seminaries. It was the basis of Hal Lindsay's Late Great Planet Earth, and has inspired songs and movies about the sudden disappearance of the Christians out of the world at the time of rapture.

One Argument for the Post-Tribulational View
Tonight I hope to take this issue up in more detail. But for now let me just show you one of several arguments from 2 Thessalonians why I cannot follow this interpretation, as much as I love and respect those who do. Why am I a post-tribulationist, that is, why do I look forward with great anticipation not to a sudden departure from the world for seven years but to a great gathering to meet the Lord in the air as he comes with his mighty angels in flaming fire to establish his earthly kingdom, giving rest to his people and judgment to his enemies?

What the Thessalonians Were Alarmed About
The saints at Thessalonica were shaken and alarmed thinking that the day of the Lord is at hand. Now for the pre-tribulationist the "Day of the Lord" is the second half of the second coming after the tribulation. It is described in verse 8: "And then the lawless one will be revealed, and the Lord Jesus will slay him with the breath of his mouth and destroy him by his appearing and his coming."

Hal Lindsey????
I thought John Calvin and Martin Luther came up with this together?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, but then there are some of us that put it in a place with OSAS for essentially the same reasons. Don't have to go through the trials or purposes of God for mankind. Why was it that He created us and put us into this place... so that we can walk through it without really even being burned or tempted to sin? Of course many people including a number on this forum will disagree.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hal Lindsey????
I thought John Calvin and Martin Luther came up with this together?

"This view has been popularized by the notes in the Scofield Reference Bible and by many Bible schools and some seminaries. It was the basis of Hal Lindsay's Late Great Planet Earth, and has inspired songs and movies about the sudden disappearance of the Christians out of the world at the time of rapture."

Credit for its (rapture) origin generally goes to John Nelson Darby, a 19th-century theologian.

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"This view has been popularized by the notes in the Scofield Reference Bible and by many Bible schools and some seminaries. It was the basis of Hal Lindsay's Late Great Planet Earth, and has inspired songs and movies about the sudden disappearance of the Christians out of the world at the time of rapture."
BTW- I am NOT a proponent of the rapture...just to be clear :)