Legalistic and being Self Righteous Judgmental

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was in a church for 10 years that taught that in order to be saved we must obey the commandments and endure to the end.

That said, I noticed some self righteous judgmental behaviors. So I wanted to ask the forum if anyone else has noticed that legalistic churches tend to be self righteous and judgmental?

I'm trying to assess various churches to decide which church I belong to. I would like a church that promotes righteousness, but not one that is judgmental.

Please share your experiences on this matter so that I can learn more. Thanks, Devin553344

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was in a church for 10 years that taught that in order to be saved we must obey the commandments and endure to the end.

That said, I noticed some self righteous judgmental behaviors. So I wanted to ask the forum if anyone else has noticed that legalistic churches tend to be self righteous and judgmental?

I'm trying to assess various churches to decide which church I belong to. I would like a church that promotes righteousness, but not one that is judgmental.

Please share your experiences on this matter so that I can learn more. Thanks, Devin553344
Where to find it?

When I was young and God called me to Him, I attended a church that consisted of a whole bunch of beautiful people. Well they were to me because of where I had been before I came there.

Eventually, I began to see the flaws and yes, even self-righteous judgmental behaviors among those 'beautiful' people. It turned out looking back now that that was one of the worst groups, but the ones I joined or visited later that may have seemed to be better in my eyes, were all still missing that perfect example of Jesus.

Oh, I encountered a number of individuals who were more like David of Israel than Saul his predecessor, but David was not flawless, was he? Anyone reading the OT with understanding, I believe, will see that the difference between King David and King Saul was as day from night ... even though they started in the same place with similar opportunities each one with anointings by the same prophet, Samuel.

There are undoubtedly some better places to attend church services, but it would surprise me greatly to hear that you had really found one with no self-righteous and no judgmental members.

You are assessing churches, but consider also what it is God wants you to be. What part of the Body of Christ is to be your part? God knows. Do you? Do you need to know more than where your next step in and toward God is?

We may see the Light at the end of the highway of holiness we are following, but we cannot ahead of time see all of the chuckholes or curves or pits or obstructions in that highway between us and that Light. If you believe making your assessment of churches is a good thing, still be sure to ask God continuously to help you make that assessment, but do not expect to know about much or anything beyond your next step...

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." Matt 6:33-34

I could relate to you enough stories of my own involvements in churches to fill up a book... but, not everyone's pathway is the same. We have different histories and different gifts and then again each of us has a different part to play in the plan of God.

Do not ever take your eyes off of the Lord! But... if you do, like Peter did when he walked on the water, do then like Peter did and ask for His help...

"But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me." Matt 14:30

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So in other words, you want to go to a church that preaches that it's ok for you to live contrary to God's commandments. If that's the case, there is no shortage of Protestant and Catholic churches out there in the world that'll fit you just fine, since they all preach and practice Satan's way of life in some form or another. It still won't change what the Bible says when it teaches that God's end-time saints keep His commandments though.