Lent

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to testify of yourself a lot.
I think that the principle in John 8:14 applies.

But what applies even more is the following:

2Co 4:5, For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.
2Co 4:6, For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
2Co 4:7, But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that the principle in John 8:14 applies.

But what applies even more is the following:

2Co 4:5, For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.
2Co 4:6, For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
2Co 4:7, But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
Ok, thanks.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
ha exactly. Tell Ali that he is not the greatest lol, and see what happens I guess
you'll just get the same circular argument in clearer form

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Consider what I said later in my post; that we can have a different Jesus than the Jesus of the Bible. If we are connected to the wrong Jesus, then very likely we are sucking on a slow poison as branches in the wrong vine.

I would just say that each one of us has to go according to his own conscience as to what he or she believes. It is true that the way of every person is right in their own eyes...and this is true also concerning the doctrines that we believe in.

I know that my own understanding has evolved over time...and what has mattered most is my relationship with Christ. He has not left me to continue to believe things that are untrue; and if I currently believe anything that is untrue, I am certain that He will not allow me to continue to believe as I do.

But He wants me to continue seeking Him...and He wants me to continue seeking to understand truth as it is given to us in His word. It is a lifelong journey, as I continue to study to shew myself approved unto the Lord, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

I know that I am closer to the understanding of what God might call "the embodiment of truth, as concerning doctrine" today, than I was ten years ago. But even ten years ago I believe that I very likely had an unction from the Holy One so that I knew all things...which means that if I were ever faced with a lie from the enemy, I would be able to discern it as being a lie. But when it comes to understanding every doctrine as it is presented in the word of the Lord by understanding the teaching of the holy scriptures, I am growing in that daily, and will continue to grow in it until the day I die.

My purpose for being on these boards is not to convince others of my point of view...for others may indeed be able to show me that I am in error concerning some doctrine that I believe in; and in being shown my error I would require it of myself to change what I believe.

My prayer as I continue to frequent these boards is that sound doctrine might prevail and that we might all be guided into all truth by the power of the Holy Ghost.

Not one of us currently has a perfect handle on the embodiment of truth as it is contained in doctrinal teaching. Some of us may be closer than others; and that is where such verses as Luke 21:15, Acts of the Apostles 6:10 come in.

Each one of us that are born again have a perfect handle on the embodiment of truth as it exists in the Person of Jesus Christ...because each of us has a relationship with Him and are also able to consult Him any time we might have a question. In knowing Him as a Person, personally, we know the truth...for He is the way and the truth and the life...Amen?

Yes Amen...I seem to understand you a little better. :)

Yet,I still do not elevate doctrine as some do...I still maintain that God is looking for those who may have 'wonky doctrine' ( as in not perfect, not talking of out and out error) yet they have taken to heart the two golden commands.. >

LOVE

Love will always win the day...for God IS love. He is looking for His reflection ( love) Not doctrine..

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And yet I would say that we cannot love properly apart from sound doctrine.

For example, the person who believes that they are saved by their works will have the wrong motivation for their behaviour...and while on the outside, their behaviour might even appear to be "love", yet on the inside their behaviour is based on selfishness, as they are seeking to save themselves through the works that they do. The Lord Jesus will judge the secrets of men's hearts on that day, and therefore He will judge whether your behaviour that you were touting as "love" was indeed love...for example, did you have the eternal well-being of that person in mind? Also, were you willing to be rejected by that person and yet told them the truth of what they needed to hear in spite of the fact that you knew you could be rejected? These things are what define real ,love impaho; but if I tell a person what they want to hear so that they will be my friend, but what I tell them means that they end up in hell, then I have not been their friend, and I have not truly loved them. It is written that Faithful are the wounds of a friend but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful. Therefore if I come to you with kisses but I do not have your eternal well-being in mind, I am in all reality your enemy; But if I come to you with words that sting and yet these words shake you into the kingdom, then I am truly your friend.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, we come to Jesus as we are...and so we do not need to have perfect doctrinal understanding to be able to come to Him for salvation.

He catches the fish and then He cleans them...so when I come to Jesus I may indeed be "wonky" concerning doctrine...but He will change that over time as the result of my relationship with Him.

Therefore the more mature I claim to be in the faith, the sounder I should be in the doctrine that I believe in.

Reactions: Nancy

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i am giving up campaigning for my understanding of the Truth of God and my Church and my opinion. I will state it, discuss it, but I will not insist that you all see it my way. I will put relationship over doctrine. If you practice Lent, what are you giving up?
I would encourage people to give up this unBiblical tradition. It is derived from the events which surrounded the death of Tammuz, Semiramis' son.

God through Ezekiel condemned the Israelite women who were "weeping for Tammuz" in chapter 8.

Semiramis told the people to afflict themselves while she went searching for him in the "underworld" and after forty days she returned and announced that her son had been reborn as the Sun god. Today, the catholic church has directly borrowed this pagan tradition:

Mardi Gras, or "Fat Tuesday", is the day where Christians may indulge their sinful habits in order to satisfy their fleshly desires. We just "celebrated" Mardi Gras here in NOLA. Many parades with names like Zeus, Medusa, Poseidon, Athena, Rex, Isis, and many other gods from the pagan pantheon were honored as the people waved their hands hoping to catch "prayer" beads - many many women baring their breasts, bottoms, and fronts for these worthless trinkets while the images of the gods on the parade floats smiled with delight at the adoration of the crowds. Many arrests, shootings, deaths, and even the son of a NOLA police officer driving under the influence ran down and killed several people on bikes, including visitors from out of town who've come to "experience" the excitement of this blasphemous holiday.

Ash Wednesday is the day upon which catholics go to church and get ashes placed on their foreheads to show God and others their great devotion to Him after having crucified Jesus all over again the day before. This begins the forty days of Lent.

Forty Days of Lent is where catholics give up a cherished habit or desire just as the pagans afflicted themselves while Semiramis sought out Tammuz and the Israelite women wept for him. Christians ought not to have anything to do with this pagan tradition, no matter how they try to dress it up so it can go to church.

Easter Sunday after the first Full Moon after the Spring Equinox is the day calculated when the "Son is reborn" in the resurrection. Jesus died on Passover and arose the following Sunday, not on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Spring Equinox - a prime example of what is known as "baptized paganism".

Last edited:
Reactions: Acolyte