Lets Be More Kind To One Another In This Forum

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
We are of the family of God and should behave as such. We are sister's and brother's just talking and sharing with each other. So let's be more kind in our postings to one another when we disagree with another's point of view. We don't have to have heated debates with each other, just calm and peaceful discussions, filled with love, humility, and kindness. Ego has no place here.

Reactions: justaname

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
I disagree. Error must be vigorously fought against and the truth defended with equal vigor.

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
We are of the family of God and should behave as such. We are sister's and brother's just talking and sharing with each other. So let's be more kind in our postings to one another when we disagree with another's point of view. We don't have to have heated debates with each other, just calm and peaceful discussions, filled with love, humility, and kindness. Ego has no place here.

Good post and I totally agree..we should remember that the Spirit of God dwells within each of us, and as we speak,read .... the Spirit of God also reads, and hears ...He grieves if we grieve..and hurts if we hurt because of the nastiness of some post...We can actually disagree and not call people names..the best defense is the Word of God, not the words of man...For the Truth is from God, not our own opinions of the Truth, twisted to fit our opinions..Just let the Truth from God be your defense...it never accomplishes anything calling people names,except to prevent others from reading the post of the name callers...I skip post from the ones I know are nasty to others, why should I care what their opinions are, if they can't be Christ like in behaviour...and quite frankly some have very good sound truths, but not worth me reading their post as it offends me to see the attitudes..

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
Good post and I totally agree..we should remember that the Spirit of God dwells within each of us, and as we speak,read .... the Spirit of God also reads, and hears ...He grieves if we grieve..and hurts if we hurt because of the nastiness of some post...We can actually disagree and not call people names..the best defense is the Word of God, not the words of man...For the Truth is from God, not our own opinions of the Truth, twisted to fit our opinions..Just let the Truth from God be your defense...it never accomplishes anything calling people names,except to prevent others from reading the post of the name callers...I skip post from the ones I know are nasty to others, why should I care what their opinions are, if they can't be Christ like in behaviour...and quite frankly some have very good sound truths, but not worth me reading their post as it offends me to see the attitudes..

I have been feeling the same way and have stopped reading a lot. If I don't see a loving, caring attitude then it hurts even if the person talking is absolutely correct.

mcorba

Aug 7, 2010
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Glad to see others agree that we should approach other views
With courtesy and respect.

(null)

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I agree and I like your questions.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
I have been feeling the same way and have stopped reading a lot. If I don't see a loving, caring attitude then it hurts even if the person talking is absolutely correct.
I AM BELIEVING THAT THINGS WILL CHANGE AND THAT LOVE AND RESPECT WILL PREVAIL.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you.

As the webmaster/founder, thank you. What I wish (and some members get this) is that we could understand disagreeing with the person is distinct from personally attacking the person. Trust me, I've seen it all from complete insanity (I talk to Jesus and have gave me a new Bible [which when I post this new Bible it really sounds like the KJV redux]) to really smart people who are essentially right but don't know how to talk to someone.

I can think of very few experiences where someone talked to someone in this manner:

---------------------------------
Christian #1: You're completely wrong, moron, and you show that you are a spiritual baby when it comes to understanding the higher things of God!!! Repent of your sin!!!!!!!!!!!

Christian #2: Thank you, kind sir, for showing me the error of my ways, now I shall go and repent in dust and ashes. Can we become friends so I can go make fun of other sinners like myself?

Okay so maybe that contains hyperbole, but I've seen some folks who almost have this line of thinking in how they approach other Christians.

I think we have to understand that there are closed-hand (or close-fisted) issues and then open hand issues. I backed away, as a personal example, from some of my Rapture rhetoric because I realized ticking people off who believed in the Rapture gets me nowhere if I want to affect them.

I absolutely think you can be nice while standing up to core tenants, convictions, and doctrine of Christianity. But, let's go to the Word of God on the matter:

Paul tells us this when speaking to outsiders:

Colossians 4:6
Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

We have to keep in mind that our conduct here, just as in public in real life, is essentially on a stage. Arguably, your conduct here is even more important because a historical record is kept in the form of your discussion. It's not just a discussion between you and another person. It includes the community as a whole and people who may be looking at Christianity for the first time. There's nothing wrong (and even something admirable) about standing up to a heresey, but other eyes are on you.

It's a good idea to self-question if we're representing Jesus or not in our reply.

Reactions: Redeemed86

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. The truth does not need to be delivered with a sledgehammer.

Reactions: Redeemed86

mcorba

Aug 7, 2010
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, Hammerstone.

Those on the site who are aggressive or talk like they have a personal phone line to God tend to alienate others as they show so little respect for other opinions.

(null)

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
Thank you, Hammerstone.

Those on the site who are aggressive or talk like they have a personal phone line to God tend to alienate others as they show so little respect for other opinions.

(null)
AMEN !!!

True. The truth does not need to be delivered with a sledgehammer.
AMEN !!!

Thank you.

As the webmaster/founder, thank you. What I wish (and some members get this) is that we could understand disagreeing with the person is distinct from personally attacking the person. Trust me, I've seen it all from complete insanity (I talk to Jesus and have gave me a new Bible [which when I post this new Bible it really sounds like the KJV redux]) to really smart people who are essentially right but don't know how to talk to someone.

I can think of very few experiences where someone talked to someone in this manner:

Christian #1: You're completely wrong, moron, and you show that you are a spiritual baby when it comes to understanding the higher things of God!!! Repent of your sin!!!!!!!!!!!

Christian #2: Thank you, kind sir, for showing me the error of my ways, now I shall go and repent in dust and ashes. Can we become friends so I can go make fun of other sinners like myself?

Okay so maybe that contains hyperbole, but I've seen some folks who almost have this line of thinking in how they approach other Christians.

I think we have to understand that there are closed-hand (or close-fisted) issues and then open hand issues. I backed away, as a personal example, from some of my Rapture rhetoric because I realized ticking people off who believed in the Rapture gets me nowhere if I want to affect them.

I absolutely think you can be nice while standing up to core tenants, convictions, and doctrine of Christianity. But, let's go to the Word of God on the matter:

Paul tells us this when speaking to outsiders:

Colossians 4:6
Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

We have to keep in mind that our conduct here, just as in public in real life, is essentially on a stage. Arguably, your conduct here is even more important because a historical record is kept in the form of your discussion. It's not just a discussion between you and another person. It includes the community as a whole and people who may be looking at Christianity for the first time. There's nothing wrong (and even something admirable) about standing up to a heresey, but other eyes are on you.

It's a good idea to self-question if we're representing Jesus or not in our reply.
Love that !!!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Thank you, Hammerstone.

(null)

Very true, and we all have opinions and should be able to share them with others expressing their dislike or disagreement without insults.
One of the things I like about CB is that for the most part allows everyone to share their opinions (within reason).
We have had some in the past that seem to have trouble responding without insults and it is why they are no longer here.