Lets Be More Kind To One Another In This Forum

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Antisoicial behavior is magnified by anonymity. You can see it on the road and online. Face to face, they slink into the shadows.

In many cases I think your right Aspen.

The key point to your argument there Son of Man, is that was Jesus speaking.

Reading the passages you provided with your suggested bent on them would render previous passages in this thread as in direct contradiction to that. (In addition to a clear misreading of the respecter of persons part which a quick reading in situ should correct.

Colossians 4:6
Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

There are times to be harsh and firm, but look no further than Jesus's own treatement of the twelve to see that there were other times where he explained and reasoned with them after it was clear that they simply didn't get it. When they were wrong, Jesus did not always respond with "Get behind me, Satan!"

Very good point, so many in Christianity want to take a scripture here and a verse there and form a paradigm while denying or twisting the meaning of the many scriptures that conflict with their paradigm. This leads to misrepresenting the truth and God's character.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
The truth needs no defense, especially from human beings who are harfly expects on the subject

Yes indeed, the real McCoy stands all on it's own. When I studied Apologetics the curriculum defined it as the defense of the truth, but HolySpirit showed me that truth doesn't need defending because He reveals all truth, but to use the knowledge from the curriculum to expose error and pull down the arguments against the truth with the truth and I would be much more effective.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who has furthered the cause of the kingdom of God through flattery? Especially in this the day of wrath?
If I am in Christ and Christ is in me then who is talking to you now? The Spirit knows what is in the heart of man? The anger is directed at the truth and the truth is Christ. Will the sons of God when they are revealed respect the false beliefs of those who have fallen short? Will Gods elect when instructed to go out turn back His hand from doing harm because those who call themselves by His name have once again rejected correction? No They won't. But just in case there is one that hasn't heard and will receive correction they will also not be silent. They will shout it from the housetops.

Well, you're creating a false dichotomy for one. Me (or anyone else) being nice to someone does not equate to flattery.

The whole problem is that people come on here, speak perfectly religious sounding words, and finally claim the religious high ground as they seek to target people who simply don't agree with them. (If you don't get my point, my point is just like this thread right now, right here.) The problem is, the whole Jesus part gets drowned out. You're not sacrificing any ground by handling things in a cordial manner, particularly when you're speaking to fellow Christians on here who might have it wrong (or right) on a couple of issues. Simply restated, there are ways to be polite and cordial and still easily and firmly hold to the truth.

Calling someone an idiot in the name of Jesus does not make it a holy insult. When someone comes to me and starts the "I'm speaking in the Spirit (you idiot)!" stuff, I know to tune them out. Yes Jesus did reserve a harsh rebuke for certain population segments. However, he never spoke to everyone along the way like this, and he kinda, sorta spoke from a position of a good bit of authority. Someone is not a snake, viper, or idiot if they disagree on infant vs. adult baptisms, etc.

What I think the OP is merely trying to point out is that instead of trying to berate the person into repentence, time is better spent politely and lovingly addressing the error. Particularly when dealing with fellow Christians who you happen to have a disagreement with over an interpretation of a word.

It absolutely amazes me that a thread where someone says "hey let's be a bit nicer" becomes an argument over watering-down the Gospel. Unfortunately, it illustrates the point.

Agree with me, or else! :wacko:

Reactions: Redeemed86

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
Jesus never sinned, and being nasty to people, is a sin...

Blind yourself and be blind. Make up your own gospel to judge the Lord by? Let it be called the Lord's sin according to Rach. Where is it written in the scriptures that telling the truth about evil people and calling people serpents and scorpions is sin?

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
Well, you're creating a false dichotomy for one. Me (or anyone else) being nice to someone does not equate to flattery.

The whole problem is that people come on here, speak perfectly religious sounding words, and finally claim the religious high ground as they seek to target people who simply don't agree with them. (If you don't get my point, my point is just like this thread right now, right here.) The problem is, the whole Jesus part gets drowned out. You're not sacrificing any ground by handling things in a cordial manner, particularly when you're speaking to fellow Christians on here who might have it wrong (or right) on a couple of issues. Simply restated, there are ways to be polite and cordial and still easily and firmly hold to the truth.

Calling someone an idiot in the name of Jesus does not make it a holy insult. When someone comes to me and starts the "I'm speaking in the Spirit (you idiot)!" stuff, I know to tune them out. Yes Jesus did reserve a harsh rebuke for certain population segments. However, he never spoke to everyone along the way like this, and he kinda, sorta spoke from a position of a good bit of authority. Someone is not a snake, viper, or idiot if they disagree on infant vs. adult baptisms, etc.

What I think the OP is merely trying to point out is that instead of trying to berate the person into repentence, time is better spent politely and lovingly addressing the error. Particularly when dealing with fellow Christians who you happen to have a disagreement with over an interpretation of a word.

It absolutely amazes me that a thread where someone says "hey let's be a bit nicer" becomes an argument over watering-down the Gospel. Unfortunately, it illustrates the point.

Agree with me, or else! :wacko:

No one is using the word idiot or imbasill or moron or anything of the sort. That spirit has not even been entertained by anyone except those who have that in their own hearts. I am not even talking about calling anyone satan or a devil or serpents. The On the other hand "in error" or " an accuser" or "dead wrong" or blind or headed for the flames might need to be used to get some ones attention.
All false doctrine against the truth of Christ is spiritually setup to lead the believer to the valley of Slaughter. It is not a minor infraction to the Lord as everyone on this planet will soon find out. Being nice about falsehood in Christs name is flattery with evil intent.
I answered this thread because of the "respect people" falsehood that was being promoted. Being a respecter of persons is not to be done according to the character of Christ and the book of James.

James 2
1 My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't see a problem with telling someone you're wrong, dead wrong, etc. What I'm speaking about (and the OP), is when it comes to names etc. I've seen people called idiots, imbeciles, children of the devil, etc and that's the kinda language I'm speaking about. It's where the discussion has been removed from the thing (doctrine, belief, theological point, etc) and shifted to the person. There's certainly nothing wrong with saying "hey, you're wrong, here's why .... " Even a comment like "you are blind to the truth" is not necessarily going to draw my attention (as an Admininstrator/Moderator) unless the post is full over other hateful stuff.

James 1:26
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
Blind yourself and be blind. Make up your own gospel to judge the Lord by? Let it be called the Lord's sin according to Rach. Where is it written in the scriptures that telling the truth about evil people and calling people serpents and scorpions is sin?

You miss the point of the thread. what kind of light are we if we can not be kind to one another? It was only the religious people that Jesus told off and truthfully I thought I could read a thread where people would be on their best behavior and yet here you are wielding the sword in a negative way., I am hoping that CB will show Christs love. Where i could refer someone, needing discipleship to come. It is the goodness of God that draws people! In this fallen world a lot of people feel like they are in hell right now! I love these people! I want to help them so much that my heart just aches! I am so sick of people just throwing their opinions all over the place. If you do not show me the love of Christ then why should I listen to one word you have to say. Now if you have the power of Christ then maybe I will listen to you!

Oh dear, I'm sorry son of man! I did not mean to single you out! Please forgive me! I meant the above statement for all of us including me!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the point of insulting people with the truth anyway? It only fuels righteous indignation. If you are really interested in sharing the truth for the benefit of someone who is wrong, rather than stroking your own ego, you will do so in love.

No need to help someone become mad and wrong.

Reactions: Shirley

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
I feel intimidated by a lot of Christian people. I'm not good at theology b/c I see how everyone see's it. I know that God judges the heart. I've tried to study a little of everything so that I might be a Jew to the Jew and a gentile to the gentile. i don't know much about a whole lot but I can see why you all believe the way you do. I am afraid to post b/c you will all rip me to shreads! I will be speaking the language of the person i am talking to. I just wish the "Mr. perfect English teacher with the big stick" and the people who use the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God, would do it more wisely. I just wish people would not go from topic to topic pushing the passion God gave them. What I mean is that it seems to me that some people find out what a person believes and then respond negatively to that person and change the subject to keep a fight going. Well i am sick of it!!!!!!!
God is not a respecter of persons so neither am I! I will not respond to you based on what I believe that is different but based on what is the same. How can we relate? I am not to judge god's servanty and he has many of us in many places. Am I to judge my brothers beliefs before i can decide if I love him? What?

Well I am sensitive beyond belief but will fight hard when it counts so you all better watch out because grandma Shirley is listening and i might stand up for kindness and if you are mean back I will cry and then every one will be mad at you for making Grandma cry!

So anyway I love you all, and be kind and if you don't love, then I will get you! And put you in time out while we talk about- Woops caps lock mess up. if you do not have anything nice to say then get over to the debate forum and I will staY OFF OF IT AND WILL PROB NOT EVEN READ IT!!!!!!

caps lock mistake. teaching myself to type and use computor. Patience my darlings! So anywho, I love you all, and hope you are kind so I can read stuff on here and not cry! OK?

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
Shirley, you are absolutly beautiful...I love you..and darling Jesus loves us all...even when we mess up typing in caps lock...I do believe in the grace of God and the Love of God that we are to treat all as if we are speaking to Christ...Christ loves scriptures..He after all wrote them, so if we disagree with someone, use the Word of God to show err..we do not have to beat them over the head with a stick to make someone listen..anyway, I give up listening to those with an holier than thou attitude long ago...so when someone starts to tell me I am wrong and they are right, I hit the ignore button in my head and no longer bother to read the post...cause all we have is a human mind, only capable of opinions of the truth..we do not have the whole truth for we are imperfect and unable to comperhend the truth as written in the word, for it has been changed from the original by mere humans anyway..so I just let Jesus guide me, and teach me with His truth, you would be surprised at how much He has shown me and shown me the lies of man I had believed...When His truth hits home it settles in your heart and no one or nothing is going to change it anyway..and if you have someone telling you that what you believe is wrong in a uncaring holier than thou attitude, you are not going to listen anyway..however if they try to show you in a loving way, you just might change your opinions...

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
What is the point of insulting people with the truth anyway? It only fuels righteous indignation. If you are really interested in sharing the truth for the benefit of someone who is wrong, rather than stroking your own ego, you will do so in love.

No need to help someone become mad and wrong.

Good point Aspen and I think that we (everyone) makes this mistake now and then, but there are a few here who seem to have trouble resisting this in almost every post they make. I feel like this thread is sufficient in correcting whoever will allow correction.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
What I mean is that it seems to me that some people find out what a person believes and then respond negatively to that person and change the subject to keep a fight going. Well i am sick of it!!!!!!!

Shirley,
You are absolutely correct, and it does get really old.

Vashti

Nov 10, 2011
jiggyfly said:
Very true, and we all have opinions and should be able to share them with others expressing their dislike or disagreement without insults.
One of the things I like about CB is that for the most part allows everyone to share their opinions (within reason).
We have had some in the past that seem to have trouble responding without insults and it is why they are no longer here.

as vivid illustrations of brotherly respect and love I put a private message from jiggyfly:

Sent Yesterday, 11:00 PM
Check your attitude it stinks. Better learn to accept some correction or you will have to leave the forum.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
as vivid illustrations of brotherly respect and love I put a private message from jiggyfly:

Sent Yesterday, 11:00 PM
Check your attitude it stinks. Better learn to accept some correction or you will have to leave the forum.

Dear Vashti, You sound mean to me a lot. Maybe it is just a language barrier thing, but to me it sounds like you have a pharasee attitude. I don't want to hurt your feelings and I care about you. Maybe you do not have an old covenant mind set but it sounds like you do at times. If I'm wrong please forgive me! No one should just post to get their views out. What if we are trying to help a seeker or baby christian and then you are sounding mean to them and they leave and it is your fault? I love you too Vashti and I would not write this public accept for the fact that you put Jiggys post public. Love you Vashti!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah I agree Shirley,

If Vashti spoke perfect English and had the same tone, I would have to correct her and if she didn't change, ignore her. So I hope it is just a language/culture thing because I gasp every time I read her posts.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia

Sigh. Again, I have never said to lie. Truth is essential. And I have no problem with telling people they are wrong. I have not lied. The Bible tells us Jesus never sinned, this is not my own gospel. The Bible also tells us that Jesus loved all, even those who nailed Him to the cross. Mine? No, scripture. So when Jesus spoke absolute truth with no flattery or pandering or even political correctness, then is was wonderfully perfect and not at all disrespectful in the way we are talking about. The problem is, as I was pointing out, is that we are not Jesus, and our motives are not always pure and perfect like His.
The issue is, that it does not take or require nastiness to be truthful and to stand firm in the truth. If there is nastiness or meanness, it doesn't speak to the necessity of truth telling, but to a sinful heart. It speaks to issues in the mean ones life...it most certainly does not stem from a Lord who told us to love everyone and who said "Father, forgive them" of the very people He called vipers.

So, Son of God....you are very wrong. Have I called Jesus sinful? No. Have I made up things that are not found in Scripture...no, in fact I've given you many scriptures that you have not rebutted. Have I needed to lie to prove my point? No. And have I needed, at any point in this process, to be mean or disrespectful? No. I think you're wrong, but I'm a long way from off loading verbal abuse and nastiness at you....which would be being disrespectful.

Reactions: Lively Stone

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Ultimately this is an anonymous message board, so no one here really knows the other. Correction can and should take place in public because there is no real public embarasment, only our avatars.

That said, since this is anonymous, correction of the individual should not take place here, public or private, only correction of doctrine or theology. Those seeking advice on how to deal with a particular problem is a different matter, but in the end, even though you can see my picture and read my words, no one knows the real life me.

After all...

internet_tough_guys.jpg

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Well if someone comes in here ignoring forum rules and refuses correction, regardless of individual opinion, their account will be deleted.