Lets Define "Works"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you think James was just wasting his breath? If the epistle to James is the Word of God (which it is) then James makes it crystal clear if there are no good works from those claiming to have saving faith, they must go back to square one. So in fact they are required as evidence of saving faith.
James is speaking of the fruit of true faith, not just 'profession' ('you say you have faith') but possession.
Look at Abraham after God declared him righteous, he went down to Egypt and told a half lie to save his skin. Faith grows, so does our good works. But we are not justified by those works.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
James is speaking of the fruit of true faith, not just 'profession' ('you say you have faith') but possession.
Look at Abraham after God declared him righteous, he went down to Egypt and told a half lie to save his skin. Faith grows, so does our good works. But we are not justified by those works.
No Christian of any stripe does good works to get justified, they are responding to the grace God gave them in the first place. That requires cooperation. Love is faith in action, not a sentiment. That's why JBFA is so redundant. It attempts to separate the inseparable. If you believe "faith alone", fine, but an authentic "good work" is still responding and cooperating with God's grace, no matter what you may think of "faith alone".

Reactions: amadeus

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No Christian of any stripe does good works to get justified, they are responding to the grace God gave them in the first place. That requires cooperation. Love is faith in action, not a sentiment. That's why JBFA is so redundant. It attempts to separate the inseparable. If you believe "faith alone", fine, but an authentic "good work" is still responding and cooperating with God's grace, no matter what you may think of "faith alone".

By cooperation, do you mean God + man?
I mentioned 'possession' rather than mere 'profession', and yes, it's the Spirit bearing fruit in us...

Philippians 2:12-13 (KJV) Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Romans 7:4 (KJV) Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

Galatians 2:20 (KJV) I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

2 Corinthians 12:9 (KJV) And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

He bears the fruit as I abide in the Vine. (John 15)

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James makes it crystal clear that if there are no good works from those claiming to have saving faith,
I already made the distinction between mere 'professors' and those who possess God's Spirit.

TheslightestID

Nov 30, 2020
From here to Kingdom come.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct, as long as we keep in mind that our voluntary obedience doesn't substitute for Christ's perfect obedience.

Agree, we are saved by grace, however, once saved if we are tempted by the world to the point of no longer being obediant, or we simply turn away from God, then we have a serious problem.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree, we are saved by grace, however, once saved if we are tempted by the world to the point of no longer being obediant, or we simply turn away from God, then we have a serious problem.
Yes a serious problem but not quite as serious as having a gaze of raccoons coming into the entryway. lol

Reactions: TheslightestID

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’d rather put my trust in Jesus who perfectly kept the law in my stead.
The idea that Christ supposedly kept the Law in a Christian's stead is a Protestant myth. And like most Protestant myths, this deceptive theology isn't at all consistent with what Christ Himself taught:

"“For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven." - Matt. 5:20

That passage alone shows Christ putting the responsibility on the individual to keep the Law for their own salvation.

Another passage in Matt. 7:21-23 shows why the "Christ" you trust in is not the Christ in the Bible:

"“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. “Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ “And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’".

Christ clearly said merely possessing an intellectual acceptance of His existence won't mean anything without doing His Father's will, which pretty much means the "Christ" you trust in is not the Christ who said "if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments" in Matt. 19:17.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The idea that Christ supposedly kept the Law in a Christian's stead is a Protestant myth. And like most Protestant myths, this deceptive theology isn't at all consistent with what Christ Himself taught:

"“For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven." - Matt. 5:20

That passage alone shows Christ putting the responsibility on the individual to keep the Law for their own salvation.

Romans 5:18-19 (KJV) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
Another passage in Matt. 7:21-23 shows why the "Christ" you trust in is not the Christ in the Bible:

"“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. “Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ “And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’".

Christ clearly said merely possessing an intellectual acceptance of His existence won't mean anything without doing His Father's will, which pretty much means the "Christ" you trust in is not the Christ who said "if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments" in Matt. 19:17.
If you read Mt 7 carefully, they were trusting in their own works,

Matthew 7:22 (KJV) Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Besides, Jesus said "I never knew you". We He has known me through the new birth/new nature, which is far more than an 'intellectual acceptance'. I pray you become born again and come to know Him personally.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador