Lets discuss the gifts one at a time.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(thesuperjag;51121)
Do I know your heart setfree? No I do not. But however I do attack the words of an evil spirit.
So by saying the words of an evil spirit...you are not calling my words are from an evil spirit?

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(thesuperjag;51136)
Never had I yet call you a devil, because I don't know your heart so don't add words unto my mouth...besides I showed you a few times...I think few is enough...so I'm going to let it stand of it. All I'm going to say you are following men.
I am sorry which post did you use scripture to tie in preacing and tongues? When did you explain the other 8 manifestations with scriptures/with examples in the Bible(Old and New)? I must have missed those post.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(setfree)
(thesuperjag;51121)
Do I know your heart setfree? No I do not. But however I do attack the words of an evil spirit.
So by saying the words of an evil spirit...you are not calling my words are from an evil spirit?All I'm going to say is you're following men. And lies does come from an evil spirit, however because we're human, so it is impossible to read a men's heart, but you can still listen from a man's mouth and see if they are lying or not...

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(thesuperjag;51139)
All I'm going to say is you're following men. And lies does come from an evil spirit, however because we're human, so it is impossible to read a men's heart, but you can still listen from a man's mouth and see if they are lying or not...
Perhaps you're the one following men.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Wakka;51140)
(thesuperjag;51139)
All I'm going to say is you're following men. And lies does come from an evil spirit, however because we're human, so it is impossible to read a men's heart, but you can still listen from a man's mouth and see if they are lying or not...
Perhaps you're the one following men.Mark 16:15 - And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.Mark 16:16 - He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.Mark 16:17 - And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;...Acts 2:6 - Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.Acts 2:8 - And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?Acts 2:9-11 - Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(thesuperjag;51195)
Mark 16:15 - And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.Mark 16:16 - He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.Mark 16:17 - And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Sure they're different. But it's the Holy Spirit that says it. What evil spirit magnifies God's name in worship and praise. These "Pentecostal" people preach the gospel more than the gifts of the Holy Spirit. You're just stereotyping.
Acts 2:6 - Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.Acts 2:8 - And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?Acts 2:9-11 - Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
So? That's just one of the diversities of the Tongues.Jag, the scripture supports it. You're not willing to accept it. It's burned into your skull from doctrines of man and word of mouth.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Wakka;51197)
(thesuperjag;51195)
Mark 16:15 - And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.Mark 16:16 - He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.Mark 16:17 - And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Sure they're different. But it's the Holy Spirit that says it. What evil spirit magnifies God's name in worship and praise. These "Pentecostal" people preach the gospel more than the gifts of the Holy Spirit. You're just stereotyping.(thesuperjag;51195)
Acts 2:6 - Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.Acts 2:8 - And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?Acts 2:9-11 - Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
So? That's just one of the diversities of the Tongues.Jag, the scripture supports it. You're not willing to accept it. It's burned into your skull from doctrines of man and word of mouth.To you (Wakka), this teaching is from men... however it doesn't change the fact that Acts 2 are completely different that I Corinthians 14To you (Wakka), I am from men.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(thesuperjag;51195)
Mark 16:15 - And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.Mark 16:16 - He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.Mark 16:17 - And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;...Acts 2:6 - Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.Acts 2:8 - And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?Acts 2:9-11 - Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
Yes, as I stated before..We are to go and preach and you have shown the scriptures about preaching.Those that believe as a result of our preaching could be saved.This is where we disagree...after the preaching those that believe-these signs will follow...speak in new tongues. It does not say they preached in tongues. This was a manifestation of there belief-Holy Spirit.In Acts as I have shown before the disciples were not preaching in tongues...they were magnifying/praising...it does not say they were speaking TO the people, just that they heard what they were saying in there own language.Its like me praising God in my front yard and my neighbors hearing me. I was not talking to the neighbor, I was talking about or too God. The neighbors just happen to hear me.On the other hand it does say that Peter was preaching to the people....there is a difference.So my conclusion from the scriptures that you posted does not prove that the purpose for tongues was to preach.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
thesuperjag,You also did not mention the other examples of tongues.Acts 10:45-47 Notice that when the Jews saw the gift of the Holy Spirit poured out on the Gentiles...they heard them speak with tongues(magnify God)....which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we. They saw the same thing here that they saw at Pentecost. Peter preached and the Holy Ghost fell on them...the ones speaking in tongues were not preaching.Another example is in Acts 19:6-8 When Paul laid hands on the certain disciples....they spake with tongues AND prophecied. But it was Paul in verse 8 that went in and spake boldly...tongues is not mentioned here.Why would these disciples start speaking in tongues? Who were they preaching to? Who were they prophecying to? In Acts 14 Paul says that He spoke in tongues more than all..yet in church he would rather not. So if tongues were for preaching, why didn't Paul like to use them in church? could it be because he used them for something different, maybe between him and God (vs.2)?When you look at it from your view ...then the scriptures contradict each other...I know this because I taught and believed as you do.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(Wakka;51120)
There are four different diversities of tongues:1. Tongues for Personal Edification ( 1 Cor. 14:4)This is the supernatural language the Holy Spirit prays through us that we can use to pray hour after hour as we desire. 2. Tongues for Interpretation (1 Cor. 14:5)This form is tongues is normally presented in a public assembly, accompanied by interpretation by the same or another person.3. Tongues of Deep Intercessional Groanings (Rom. 8:26)This diversification of tongues empowers the believers to stand in the gap for their own lives, their families, their church, their city, their nation, etc. God may also call them to intercede for someone that is totally unknown to them.4. Tongues for The Unbeliever (1 Cor. 14:22)This is the phenomenon that took place in the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4-11). It occurs when the Holy Spirit transcends the intellect and all language barriers by empowering a believer to preach, teach, or testify about Christ in some language of men of which the believer himself has no knowledge.
I just came to this part in the book you recomended. I have learned so much. This book has put a lot of things in perspective for me. It's so full of the meat of the word I will probably have to read it more that once to digest it.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(setfree;51276)
I just came to this part in the book you recomended. I have learned so much. This book has put a lot of things in perspective for me. It's so full of the meat of the word I will probably have to read it more that once to digest it.
Yep.
smile.gif

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Wakka there are not four types of tongues there are two one (penecost was God teaching men through men the other was the gift given to men to teach other men the gospel in their natural human languages that is scripture your defintion is denominational and not written if you and setfree wanna talk denomination rather than scriptuire please do so in Pm's. We are not going to have any more of these arguments. Denominational things can be discussed among yourselfs.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(kriss;51278)
Wakka there are not four types of tongues there are two one (penecost was God teaching men through men the other was the gift given to men to teach other men the gospel in their natural human languages that is scripture your defintion is denominational and not written if you and setfree wanna talk denomination rather than scriptuire do so in Pm's.
It's not denominational. It's scriptural. The four definitions take the 4 different characteristics of tongues. It's plainly layed out for you to understand, and there are no contradictions to scripture. The people in Acts during the Pentecost simply were praying, and the Holy Spirit interceded and spoke to people in their own languages. This is the tongues for unbelievers.Take Jodycour's story for example, read it word for word. Jody was praying in tongues like he was accustomed to doing. However, on that day when he visited his old church, the Holy Spirit spoke in Malaysian to that man. Jody had no knowledge about it what-so-ever.Would Jody have lied about his experience? You guys are hugely mistaken for saying that it's not of the Holy Spirit. And the reason why you do not experience events like it is because you distance yourselves from it by saying it's not of God.Don't lock this thread. We're discussing the gifts of the Holy Sprit. However, there seems to be a kink in what some people believe.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(kriss;51278)
Wakka there are not four types of tongues there are two one (penecost was God teaching men through men the other was the gift given to men to teach other men the gospel in their natural human languages that is scripture your defintion is denominational and not written if you and setfree wanna talk denomination rather than scriptuire please do so in Pm's. We are not going to have any more of these arguments. Denominational things can be discussed among yourselfs.
I do not recall mentioning denominational things, Everything that I have asked I had a scripture. God has opened up a feast of knowledge to me (thanks again wakka).....Can you explain this scripture. 1 Cor. 12:4-7. What is the difference between gifts, administrations and operations?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Wakka;51280)
It's not denominational. It's scriptural. The four definitions take the 4 different characteristics of tongues. It's plainly layed out for you to understand, and there are no contradictions to scripture. The people in Acts during the Pentecost simply were praying, and the Holy Spirit interceded and spoke to people in their own languages. This is the tongues for unbelievers.Take Jodycour's story for example, read it word for word. Jody was praying in tongues like he was accustomed to doing. However, on that day when he visited his old church, the Holy Spirit spoke in Malaysian to that man. Jody had no knowledge about it what-so-ever.Would Jody have lied about his experience? You guys are hugely mistaken for saying that it's not of the Holy Spirit. And the reason why you do not experience events like it is because you distance yourselves from it by saying it's not of God.Don't lock this thread. We're discussing the gifts of the Holy Sprit. However, there seems to be a kink in what some people believe.
Im not going to argue with you about this wakka it is denominational all christians do not follow this the apostels never taught it Christ never mentioned it there is no unknown in the manuscripts the greek doesnt support it it is a man made doctrine from late 1800's I know you believe it the same way Catholics believe there doctrines, or baptist believe theirs Im not telling you what to believe only that we are a christian BIBLE Study site and just as other denominations are told not to discuss their beliefs the same goes for yours it is a limited denominational teaching. discuss it amoungest yourselfs or I will be forced to close the thread

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
The apostle Paul wrote 1 Corinthians, how can you say the manifestations are not taught? Kriss, everytime you can not answer the questions you seem to close threads. You can say you have answered them but your answers contradict other scriptures.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
Kriss. It wasn't denominational. It was an explanation of the gift of tongues, perfectly backed up by scripture. This is perfectly on topic as we're discussing the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Someone posted a counter argument, so I defended my view.I'll try to keep this from getting carried away.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(kriss;51278)
Kriss, no matter how much scripture is right, men will always argue with anything.To Wakka and setfree, I am from men...and to them, so shall it be in their eyes.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Wakka I have answered all these scriptures till Im blue in the face the words do not say what you say they say it has nothing to do with me not answering its you refusing to see what is written.There is nothing in 1 cor about any unknown babble it is about the natural languages of men if you go to a forgeign country and you are given the gift of speaking or understanding the language you are toi get an interpter so the that gospel can be understood to preach in a language the audience doesnt understand only serves (edifys)yourself another words it make you feel great but it does nothing for the one hearing it and thats why your told to get an interpter. I repeat the vgreek word here is Glossa it means the languages of nations right down to their dialets.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Again I will post the non partician language study this is what the greek says you dont have to like it you can even chose to disagree but we are not twisting the scripture. (1) The term tongues (in Greek glossa, plural glossais) when used of human speech always refers to the speaking of actual human languages.59 In the Greek translation of the Old Testament (the Septuagint) the word glossa occurs thirty times and always refers to real human languages.60 In the book of Acts where we are introduced to the supernatural phenomenon of tongues speaking, Luke emphasizes the fact the that apostles were speaking real, known, human languages. “And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven. And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language. Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, ‘Look, are not all these who speak Galileans? And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born?’” (Acts 2:5-8). That the disciples were speaking real human languages is evident in the following observations. (a) The tongues were immediately understood by the hearers from several different Roman provinces and lands without any need for interpretation. This fact can only mean that the apostles were speaking real, normal languages. Remember the miracle or sign was in the speaking; not in the hearing. The hearers at this point were not even believers. “What this speaking ‘with different tongues’ means is stated in v. 6: ‘everyone heard them speaking in his own language;’ and in v. 11: ‘we are hearing them telling with our own tongue the great things of God.’ The disciples spoke in foreign languages that were hitherto unknown to them, in the very languages of the natives of the foreign lands who were presently assembled before them.”61 As if to emphasize that the disciples were speaking real languages and not gibberish, Luke even lists the peoples which heard their native tongues: “Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabs–we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God” (Acts 2:9-11). (
cool.gif
In Acts 2, glossais is used by Luke interchangeably with dialektos which the eminent lexicographer J. H. Thayer defines as “the tongue or language peculiar to any people.”62 Obviously, if Luke uses tongues (glossais) and languages (dialektos) in a parallel or synonymous manner, tongues speaking cannot refer to gibberish. “The equation of ‘tongue’ and dialektos in verse 8 shows that speech in different languages is meant.”63 The languages are listed in verses 9 and 11. When we encounter tongues speaking again in Acts chapter 10 we are told by Luke that the Gentiles had the same experience as the Jewish believers in chapter 2. In the historical account, Peter says that the Gentiles “received the Holy Spirit just as we have” (v. 47). He tells the Jerusalem church that “the Holy Spirit fell on them [the Gentiles], as on us at the beginning” (Ac. 11:15). Again, the apostle says that God gave the Gentiles “the same gift as he did unto us” (v. 17). Peter is careful to point out (first to his Jewish companions at Cornelius’ house, then at the first church council) that the Gentiles and Jewish experience was the same. “This likeness of experience extends not only to the fact of receiving the Spirit but to the nature of tongue-speaking in foreign languages.”64 Thus, there is not a shred of evidence within the book of Acts that tongues-speaking is anything but real foreign languages.this is not me speaking this not an anti-denominal it just a language study a statement it just the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.