Letter of the Law vs. Spirit of the Law

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

heartwashed

Jul 18, 2022
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

heartwashed

Jul 18, 2022
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. It is through our trust. Some of us do get stuck though in trying to take over from there.

Of course, if we are genuinely born again of the Holy Spirit, it will be true of us that we "cannot sin" (1 John 3:9).

Of course I believe that John is there utilizing hyperbole...exaggeration to make a point.

What point?

That if anyone is born again, they have made a 180-degree turn away from sin, death, hell, and satan towards righteousness, life, heaven, and God.

Even as it is written,

Pro 4:18, But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I was doing 80 kph in a 70kph zone oblivious to my speed or the limit of the zone. My obliviousness came to an abrupt stop when an officer stepped out from the side of the road and pulled me over. Do you know how fast you were going? he asked. I was driving to the condition of the road I replied. It didn't cut it.....there was no mercy.

Law does not have mercy.....it only has the power to condemn.

I never feel good enough when it comes to law because it seems I've always blown it. Do I pitch it because it condemns me. No, I just admit the truth of the matter that I'm a transgressor. Does that mean I give the law the finger......certainly not. It has its place.

As sbg says, it is the spirit of the law which has the ascendancy.......it weighs the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
Loving your neighbour as yourself is far more exacting than not killing someone.

I see folk here arguing about getting rid of God's Ten for what I think are spurious reasons. They then invoke the law of love as being in vogue, oblivious to the fact that their interaction with the folk online here is often abysmal. Draw your own conclusion.

heartwashed

Jul 18, 2022
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Everyone,

Since I'm feeling a bit..."inspired", I thought I would take it upon a suggestion from another thread, that perhaps a thread about this subject is due.

I'm not trying to 'lead' this thread, but to put thoughts 'out there', that may make for a decent discussion.

I was a paralegal for a number of years. Yes, a Christian, to boot. And I can say, honestly, that my legal training actually helped me, in my spiritual journey.

We are already aware, that secular laws are mostly made up of statutes. Those statutes are not so much about what we should do, but what will happen if we don't do 'it'. "Thou shall not travel more than 75 miles per hour on an interstate highway" is not a statute. What IS a statute is to say that, "If you DO travel more than 75 miles per hour on an interstate highway, the penalty will be 6 months in jail, losing your license and a $1000 dollar fine, for a first offense."

But does that mean that EVERY time, ANYONE who travels more than 75 miles an hour on an interstate highway, WILL or SHOULD go to jail for 6 months, lose their license and get a $1000 dollar fine?

According to the Pharisees, yes. After all, that person broke the law!

But Jesus, didn't seem to see it the same way. After all, there are exceptions to the law.

Apparenty, there is punishment in breaking the law. But I think that Jesus taught us...or at least, tried to do so....that there is also mercy woven into it. And wisdom...and discernment...

After all, if I was traveling at 80 mpg, because my child was in the back seat, choking on a chicken bone...and I was trying to get to a hospital...does the law REALLY apply in that matter?

The less merciful ones, would say 'yes'. Would Jesus?

How can we read the bible, without thinking about any of this?

Thoughts?

Pro 21:21, He that followeth after righteousness and mercy findeth life, righteousness, and honour.

It is faithful to understand that we are to follow after, both righteousness and mercy.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Everyone,

Since I'm feeling a bit..."inspired", I thought I would take it upon a suggestion from another thread, that perhaps a thread about this subject is due.

I'm not trying to 'lead' this thread, but to put thoughts 'out there', that may make for a decent discussion.

I was a paralegal for a number of years. Yes, a Christian, to boot. And I can say, honestly, that my legal training actually helped me, in my spiritual journey.

We are already aware, that secular laws are mostly made up of statutes. Those statutes are not so much about what we should do, but what will happen if we don't do 'it'. "Thou shall not travel more than 75 miles per hour on an interstate highway" is not a statute. What IS a statute is to say that, "If you DO travel more than 75 miles per hour on an interstate highway, the penalty will be 6 months in jail, losing your license and a $1000 dollar fine, for a first offense."

But does that mean that EVERY time, ANYONE who travels more than 75 miles an hour on an interstate highway, WILL or SHOULD go to jail for 6 months, lose their license and get a $1000 dollar fine?

But Jesus, didn't seem to see it the same way. After all, there are exceptions to the law.

Apparenty, there is punishment in breaking the law. But I think that Jesus taught us...or at least, tried to do so....that there is also mercy woven into it. And wisdom...and discernment...

After all, if I was traveling at 80 mpg, because my child was in the back seat, choking on a chicken bone...and I was trying to get to a hospital...does the law REALLY apply in that matter?

Thoughts?
I think some people don't like the Lord's commandments, so they try to re-interpret them so they don't have to follow them anymore.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think some people don't like the Lord's commandments, so they try to re-interpret them so they don't have to follow them anymore.

Mmm…I think it’s that…people write themselves into what they read. They say, okay I know darn well I received the down payment of the Spirit. So I know I am born again. That’s okay. They’re correct.

But then, they begin to divorce themselves from reality. They read that it says they CANT sin, so they insist they don’t sin since it says they can’t. But another man says, but I DO still sin. I have anger and resentment issues, which is to murder.

So the one man admits the truth and searches for what it means.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mmm…I think it’s that…people write themselves into what they read. They say, okay I know darn well I received the down payment of the Spirit. So I know I am born again. That’s okay. They’re correct.

But then, they begin to divorce themselves from reality. They read that it says they CANT sin, so they insist they don’t sin since it says they can’t. But another man says, but I DO still sin. I have anger and resentment issues, which is to murder.

Sister, you and I have the same issues with the anger and resentment. Not easy to tackle. Thank God for keeping us at bay!

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sister, you and I have the same issues with the anger and resentment. Not easy to tackle. Thank God for keeping us at bay!

Not only not easy to tackle, Impossible to tackle. Only God can do it, which is why we trust Him, not in our own strength and ability.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was thinking just now about trust, hope and love in relation to our three enemies, the world, the flesh and the devil.

It is our trust in God that overcomes the world.
It is our hope in His promises that overcomes our flesh. (Eventually).
It is love that overcomes the devil.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was thinking just now about trust, hope and love in relation to our three enemies, the world, the flesh and the devil.

It is our trust in God that overcomes the world.
It is our hope in His promises that overcomes our flesh. (Eventually).
It is love that overcomes the devil.

Perfectly put. Reminds me of my thoughts awhile back

SATAN
Kills-our joy
Steals- our assurance
Destroys- our faith
IF he can that is, or should I say, if we let him.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Everyone,

Thoughts?

Of course, with discernment, the greater good is to save the child. That being said, the law against speeding still applies so just take the punishment and rejoice that the child is saved. Or appeal to the judge.

There would be two laws at work here. The speeding law and the law that says Thou shalt not kill.

Thankfully, we are not under the law of Moses but under the law of Christ. Jesus taught us that love fulfills the law.

But the Bible says we are subject to the laws of the land (Romans 13:1). It also says if we endure suffering patiently for doing good, this is commendable in the sight of God (1 Peter 2:20)

Paul, in Acts, was falsely accused and put in prison just for preaching the gospel. While he appealed to Ceasar for justice, he also endured the chains and used it as an opportunity to witness before King Agrippa and the Romans.

Im willing to be wrong about this. I believe in this case that the priority should be saving a life. But that's not the same as an exception to the law. Its fulfilling the law of Christ who commanded us to love one another. Whether you get punished for speeding in the process or not just seems arbitrary at that point.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But how does a person sin, and then convince themselves that they didn't sin?

I was thinking this morning - and maybe this is the purpose of the thread - that when we are born, we know nothing, so there has to be a law that will teach us how to conduct ourselves. As we grow older, we understand the purpose of each of the laws, and the purpose of the laws becomes more important than the letter of the laws.

For example: The sabbath. I know the letter of the law, and people argue up and down about when the sabbath should be observed. But I think the purpose of the law is to give us 24 hours of rest, and that can be done anytime during the week.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don’t know. I just know I see it all the time. Some argue that anger and fuming revenge fantasies isn’t murder. They go by the letter of that law. They see the law for the outside of their cup and…sin deceives them that they’ve always kept that law.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t know. I just know I see it all the time. Some argue that anger and fuming revenge fantasies isn’t murder. They go by the letter of that law. They see the law for the outside of their cup and…sin deceives them that they’ve always kept that law.
I agree that our thoughts can lead us down paths that get us into trouble, but I think it's harmful to be too technical. I think there are actual lines we must cross before we've committed a sin.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi Everyone,

Thoughts?
The Law was set by who ? for what ! as to set speed limits. that's a point to reflect upon.
But their is no set Law on speed in the OT or NT is there. so someone just made it up. now their is good reason as to why one would impose a limit ? but as to why such is so is another point. We had a whole highway dropped from 100km/h to 80km/h just as a cash cow.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A person can sin according to another's faith but not sin in their faith....
Romans 14 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
¹³ Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
¹⁴ I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
¹⁵ But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
¹⁶ Let not then your good be evil spoken of:
¹⁷ For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
¹⁸ For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.

¹⁹ Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
²⁰ For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.

²¹ It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

²² Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
²³ And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Romans is so simple to understand...and though this is pertaining to eating certain meats it can apply to anything that enters a man's mouth....
The scriptures above tells Do you have the faith to do this thing you are about to allow?
If you DO then have it to yourself before God.
Don't go flaunting in the face of another who would be offended by it.

So back to your question....how can a person sin and be convinced they didn't sin.
Guess it depends on if he has faith in what he does as acceptable to God.

Now if you are referring to the 10 Commandments and the 2 Commandments from Jesus then it could have many reasons as to how someone can sin and are convinced they haven't...
Spiritual growth
False teaching/doctrine
Ignorant of the truth
Lack or wisdom, knowledge and understanding
Cultural practices
On and on

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
A person can sin according to another's faith but not sin in their faith....
Romans 14 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
¹³ Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
¹⁴ I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
¹⁵ But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
¹⁶ Let not then your good be evil spoken of:
¹⁷ For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
¹⁸ For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.

¹⁹ Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
²⁰ For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.

²¹ It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

²² Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
²³ And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Romans is so simple to understand...and though this is pertaining to eating certain meats it can apply to anything that enters a man's mouth....
The scriptures above tells Do you have the faith to do this thing you are about to allow?
If you DO then have it to yourself before God.
Don't go flaunting in the face of another who would be offended by it.

So back to your question....how can a person sin and be convinced they didn't sin.
Guess it depends on if he has faith in what he does as acceptable to God.

Now if you are referring to the 10 Commandments and the 2 Commandments from Jesus then it could many reasons as to how someone can sin and are convinced they haven't...
Spiritual growth
False teaching/doctrine
Ignorant of the truth
Lack or wisdom, knowledge and understanding
Cultural practices
On and on
@Heart2Soul Romans 14 is so important .... and often so ignored.......

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul Romans 14 is so important .... and often so ignored.......
Yes indeed it is farouk....and there is another scripture by Paul that is like it...
“All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.”
— 1 Corinthians 6:12 (KJV)

Reactions: farouk