LIVER most nutrient dense meat, but YUCK!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Chicken hearts with liver and bacon in gravy was one that taste real good, hard to find such nowadays, my elder brother can get it if from one place that they sell such at times.

Reactions: CharismaticLady

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you have carnivore animals like cats and dogs, make sure they get organ meat added to their diet or they are not getting a balanced diet.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Liver is fine, if eaten from a clean animal, provided it is drained of blood. I see some comments here that talk about unclean animals such as pigs. The bible does not endorse eating such animals.

I tried not eating pork once. That didnt go over very well. I am grateful for the New Covenant. I love pork chops and bacon.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Chicken hearts with liver and bacon in gravy was one that taste real good, hard to find such nowadays, my elder brother can get it if from one place that they sell such at times.

I have no trouble buying Chicken hearts, livers and gizzards from the Woolworths meat section in the stores that I frequent. They are packaged in 500 g packs and retail for around $5.00 AUD each. For my wife and I a packet of Hearts and a packet of Gizzards will usually give us three days of evening meals to enjoy. When cooking them in a pressure cooker I also add lots of vegetables, i.e. carrots, sweet potato, parsnips swede onions etc., lentils, herbs to taste and soy sauce and up to a cup of bailey to make it a balance meal for us both. I have an electric pressure cooker and it will, using the slow cook feature, take about an hour to cook. I usually add milk with corn flour to thicken the liquid after opening the cooker.

Preparing the vegetables and the gizzards can take some time, but the meal can be pre-cooked and reheated when needed.

We sure love it, but we also know of many people who turn their noses up when offered the above to eat, but they are very fussy people to feed at the best of times.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to juice for health. It was a terrible hassle! Now I can find all I want in capsules on Amazon.com. I take beet root, whole lemons, kale, C, turmeric, zinc, citrulline, multiple vitamins, all in capsules! It's so much easier than any other health food and probably better!

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After the flood it was not that way.

Before the flood there was no such thing as unclean animals. But there were only certain animals that were clean enough to be an offering to the Lord. But as for food, from the Garden of Eden until the flood, all animals and humans ate vegetation. Even carnivores. There was no spilling of blood in the Garden. Meat was only introduced to our nature and the nature of carnivores after the flood, and all moving things were good for food. But God commanded more of the animals used for offerings to God to be brought on the ark. Seven of each, rather than the two of all other animals.

Genesis 9:
3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs. 4 But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.

Actually, unclean animals were considered unclean because they represented Gentiles to the Jews. But when the gospel was opened to the Gentiles, Cornelius being the first, God cleansed all animals from being considered sinful to eat.

Leviticus 20:
25 You shall therefore distinguish between clean animals and unclean, between unclean birds and clean, and you shall not make yourselves abominable by beast or by bird, or by any kind of living thing that creeps on the ground, which I have separated from you as unclean. 26 And you shall be holy to Me, for I the Lord am holy, and have separated you from the peoples, that you should be Mine.

Acts of the Apostles 10:
15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed you must not call common.”

1 Timothy 4:
3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs. 4 But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.

1 Corinthians 6:
12 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. 13 Foods for the stomach and the stomach for foods, but God will destroy both it and them.

There are some meats that must be cooked fully, like pork, but even "clean" meats like poultry. A turkey that has not reached a certain temperature when being baked, and then eaten can kill you. Beef and fish, on the other hand, can be eaten raw or rare.

Let me tell you some stories about unclean animals and your reference that they represented Gentiles. That is true, and I think the apostle Paul gave them enough liberty to maybe eat stuff they already were eating. But on the other hand there is nothing wrong with staying clean if we want to be the congregation of the Lord as Israel was. After all, the church in spiritually playing the part of the tribes of Judah and Levi in which the physical nation of Israel is a foreshadowing and every bit valid yet for the future Kingdom as the physical will merge to the spiritual. The Timothy verse you quoted talks about meats being refused that were sanctified by the Word of God and Prayer. Unclean animals were never sanctified by the Word of God. We know that Jesus ate clean meats, as did Peter and was still doing so when he had that vision. The vision was not about eating meats, but Gentiles being added to the fold which they saw as unclean like the animals.

Unclean meats represent unbelievers. We are to have no fellowship with them. The clean animal is clovern hooved and chews the cud. A pig can show his feet that he is kosher, but his diet is poor making him toxic. These are those who "have the form of godliness but deny the power thereof". They look religious, they walk the walk apparently, but they have no feeding from the Word of God, no Holy Spirit. They fill their minds with garbage instead. Then you have he hare or rabbit which chews the cud, but their feet are not cloven hooved. The are "ever learning but never able to come to the knowledge of truth". They sit amongst us, but their walk is not there. The feeding of the Word is important, and they must walk properly rightly dividing. So, what about those unclean Gentiles? They are still unclean. but the Lord created plenty of clean wild animals such as venison. There's deer, elk, and even giraffes for example. If you notice cattle, lambs and goats are flocks domesticated amongst humans, and the other clean animals are the clean Gentiles. The Lord can take any unclean animal as in Peter's vision and make it clean. But that's not a pig or a rabbit, but deer and such game. These became believers. A person is a new creation in Christ, and the old vanishes away.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me tell you some stories about unclean animals and your reference that they represented Gentiles. That is true, and I think the apostle Paul gave them enough liberty to maybe eat stuff they already were eating. But on the other hand there is nothing wrong with staying clean if we want to be the congregation of the Lord as Israel was. After all, the church in spiritually playing the part of the tribes of Judah and Levi in which the physical nation of Israel is a foreshadowing and every bit valid yet for the future Kingdom as the physical will merge to the spiritual. The Timothy verse you quoted talks about meats being refused that were sanctified by the Word of God and Prayer. Unclean animals were never sanctified by the Word of God. We know that Jesus ate clean meats, as did Peter and was still doing so when he had that vision. The vision was not about eating meats, but Gentiles being added to the fold which they saw as unclean like the animals.

Unclean meats represent unbelievers. We are to have no fellowship with them. The clean animal is clovern hooved and chews the cud. A pig can show his feet that he is kosher, but his diet is poor making him toxic. These are those who "have the form of godliness but deny the power thereof". They look religious, they walk the walk apparently, but they have no feeding from the Word of God, no Holy Spirit. They fill their minds with garbage instead. Then you have he hare or rabbit which chews the cud, but their feet are not cloven hooved. The are "ever learning but never able to come to the knowledge of truth". They sit amongst us, but their walk is not there. The feeding of the Word is important, and they must walk properly rightly dividing. So, what about those unclean Gentiles? They are still unclean. but the Lord created plenty of clean wild animals such as venison. There's deer, elk, and even giraffes for example. If you notice cattle, lambs and goats are flocks domesticated amongst humans, and the other clean animals are the clean Gentiles. The Lord can take any unclean animal as in Peter's vision and make it clean. But that's not a pig or a rabbit, but deer and such game. These became believers. A person is a new creation in Christ, and the old vanishes away.

Yes, God had a reason for each animal that was "unclean." Here is another:

Barnabas 10:1
But forasmuch as Moses said; Ye shall not eat seine nor eagle nor
falcon nor crow nor any fish which hath no scale upon it
, he
received in his understanding three ordinances.

Barnabas 10:2
Yea and further He saith unto them in Deuteronomy; And I will lay
as a covenant upon this people My ordinances.
So then it is not a
commandment of God that they should not bite with their teeth, but
Moses spake it in spirit.

Barnabas 10:3
Accordingly he mentioned the swine with this intent. Thou shalt not
cleave, saith he, to such men who are like unto swine; that is, when
they are in luxury they forget the Lord, but when they are in want
they recognize the Lord, just as the swine when it eateth knoweth not
his lord, but when it is hungry it crieth out, and when it has
received food again it is silent.

Barnabas 10:4
Neither shalt thou eat eagle nor falcon nor kite nor crow. Thou
shalt not, He saith, cleave unto, or be likened to, such men who now
not how to provide food for themselves by toil and sweat, but in
their lawlessness seize what belongeth to others, and as if they were
walking in guilelessness watch and search about for some one to rob
in their rapacity, just as these birds alone do not provide food for
themselves, but sit idle and seek how they may eat the meat that
belongeth to others, being pestilent in their evil-doings.

Barnabas 10:5
And thou shalt not eat, saith He, lamprey nor polypus nor cuttle
fish
. Thou shalt not, He meaneth, become like unto such men, who
are desperately wicked, and are already condemned to death, just as
these fishes alone are accursed and swim in the depths, not swimming
on the surface like the rest, but dwell on the ground beneath the
deep sea.

Barnabas 10:6
Moreover thou shalt not eat the hare. Why so? Thou shalt not be
found a corrupter of boys, nor shalt thou become like such persons;
for the hare gaineth one passage in the body every year; for
according to the number of years it lives it has just so many
orifices.

Barnabas 10:7
Again, neither shalt thou eat the hyena; thou shalt not, saith He,
become an adulterer or a fornicator, neither shalt thou resemble such
persons. Why so? Because this animal changeth its nature year by
year, and becometh at one time male and at another female.

Barnabas 10:8
Moreover He hath hated the weasel also and with good reason. Thou
shalt not, saith He, become such as those men of whom we hear as
working iniquity with their mouth for uncleanness, neither shalt thou
cleave unto impure women who work iniquity with their mouth. For
this animal conceiveth with its mouth.

Barnabas 10:9
Concerning meats then Moses received three decrees to this effect and
uttered them in a spiritual sense; but they accepted them according
to the lust of the flesh, as though they referred to eating.

Barnabas 10:10
And David also receiveth knowledge of the same three decrees, and
saith; Blessed is the man who hath not gone in the council of the
ungodly
--even as the fishes go in darkness into the depths; and
hath not stood in the path of sinners
--just as they who pretend to
fear the Lord sin like swine; and hath not sat on the seat of the
destroyers
--as the birds that are seated for prey. Ye have now the
complete lesson concerning eating.

Barnabas 10:11
Again Moses saith; Ye shall everything that divideth the hoof and
cheweth the cud.
What meaneth he? He that receiveth the food
knoweth Him that giveth him the food, and being refreshed appeareth
to rejoice in him. Well said he, having regard to the commandment.
What then meaneth he? Cleave unto those that fear the Lord, with
those who meditate in their heart on the distinction of the word
which they have received, with those who tell of the ordinances of
the Lord and keep them, with those who know that meditation is a work
of gladness and who chew the cud of the word of the Lord. But why
that which divideth the hoof? Because the righteous man both walketh
in this world, and at the same time looketh for the holy world to
come. Ye see how wise a lawgiver Moses was.

Barnabas 10:12
But whence should they perceive or understand these things? Howbeit
we having justly perceived the commandments tell them as the Lord
willed. To this end He circumcised our ears and hearts, that we
might understand these things.

Reactions: liafailrock

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Calf's liver is a very rich meal...it's like eating meat flavored butter when done right. And by done right I mean rare to medium rare...any more than that and of course it tastes nasty.

But cooked rare...it's just really rich.
And the usual accompaniments you hear about are there to help with eating a ton of grease. Many people eat it raw for this reason...it's not good to cook all the fat out of it...

Goose livers from special geese are extremely fatty and high dollar meat. You can see from this link here how much they cost and look like....they aren't tan for no reason:
FOIE GRAS: FROZEN: Whole - Grade A, 1.4-2.1 lb – Buy at Marky's Gourmet Store

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Calf's liver is a very rich meal...it's like eating meat flavored butter when done right. And by done right I mean rare to medium rare...any more than that and of course it tastes nasty.

But cooked rare...it's just really rich.
And the usual accompaniments you hear about are there to help with eating a ton of grease. Many people eat it raw for this reason...it's not good to cook all the fat out of it...

Goose livers from special geese are extremely fatty and high dollar meat. You can see from this link here how much they cost and look like....they aren't tan for no reason:
FOIE GRAS: FROZEN: Whole - Grade A, 1.4-2.1 lb – Buy at Marky's Gourmet Store

Fat from meat tastes good, but is it actually good for your arteries???

(I'm undergoing a bunch of heart related tests to find out why a tiny amount of exertion makes me breathe so hard I about pass out.) (My brain MRI came back okay, my tumor there is "stable")

Reactions: JohnDB

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Liver is high in vitamin A, folic acid, iron, and zinc. Liver is the most nutrient dense organ meat, and it is a powerful source of vitamin A. Vitamin A is beneficial for eye health and for reducing diseases that cause inflammation, including everything from Alzheimer's disease to arthritis.

But how many can't stand the taste? Try this. Fry it up in olive oil with salt and pepper, then drain, and when on your plate, cover with Ranch Dressing. I was amazed that the strong taste was all but killed. Of course, you can always do the tradition addition of bacon and onions, but I didn't have those, but I did see the Ranch Dressing and had a brain storm!

One warning: Do not eat liver more than once a week at most, even though it is cheap. Too much liver, like every day, can cause a toxicity of Vitamin A called Hypervitaminosis A. The symptoms are:

Symptoms of acute vitamin A toxicity include:

Symptoms of chronic vitamin A toxicity include:

Filters in the body and the environment are for the purpose of extracting the poisons from what is being filtered. In this case the liver is to filter the blood. It is reasonable to not ingest 'garbage collectors'.

There are other garbage collectors in our bodies and in the environment around us, for example, certain sea creatures like shell fish, crustaceans of different descriptions (large and small)

Optimal health starts where we have control of what we put into our bodies. Even from ancient times the Hebrews were directed what animals were fit for human consumption and those that weren't. We do well to take notice.

If your are curious the list can be found here ... Leviticus 11

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, God had a reason for each animal that was "unclean." Here is another:

Barnabas 10:1
But forasmuch as Moses said; Ye shall not eat seine nor eagle nor
falcon nor crow nor any fish which hath no scale upon it
, he
received in his understanding three ordinances.

Barnabas 10:2
Yea and further He saith unto them in Deuteronomy; And I will lay
as a covenant upon this people My ordinances.
So then it is not a
commandment of God that they should not bite with their teeth, but
Moses spake it in spirit.

Barnabas 10:3
Accordingly he mentioned the swine with this intent. Thou shalt not
cleave, saith he, to such men who are like unto swine; that is, when
they are in luxury they forget the Lord, but when they are in want
they recognize the Lord, just as the swine when it eateth knoweth not
his lord, but when it is hungry it crieth out, and when it has
received food again it is silent.

Barnabas 10:4
Neither shalt thou eat eagle nor falcon nor kite nor crow. Thou
shalt not, He saith, cleave unto, or be likened to, such men who now
not how to provide food for themselves by toil and sweat, but in
their lawlessness seize what belongeth to others, and as if they were
walking in guilelessness watch and search about for some one to rob
in their rapacity, just as these birds alone do not provide food for
themselves, but sit idle and seek how they may eat the meat that
belongeth to others, being pestilent in their evil-doings.

Barnabas 10:5
And thou shalt not eat, saith He, lamprey nor polypus nor cuttle
fish
. Thou shalt not, He meaneth, become like unto such men, who
are desperately wicked, and are already condemned to death, just as
these fishes alone are accursed and swim in the depths, not swimming
on the surface like the rest, but dwell on the ground beneath the
deep sea.

Barnabas 10:6
Moreover thou shalt not eat the hare. Why so? Thou shalt not be
found a corrupter of boys, nor shalt thou become like such persons;
for the hare gaineth one passage in the body every year; for
according to the number of years it lives it has just so many
orifices.

Barnabas 10:7
Again, neither shalt thou eat the hyena; thou shalt not, saith He,
become an adulterer or a fornicator, neither shalt thou resemble such
persons. Why so? Because this animal changeth its nature year by
year, and becometh at one time male and at another female.

Barnabas 10:8
Moreover He hath hated the weasel also and with good reason. Thou
shalt not, saith He, become such as those men of whom we hear as
working iniquity with their mouth for uncleanness, neither shalt thou
cleave unto impure women who work iniquity with their mouth. For
this animal conceiveth with its mouth.

Barnabas 10:9
Concerning meats then Moses received three decrees to this effect and
uttered them in a spiritual sense; but they accepted them according
to the lust of the flesh, as though they referred to eating.

Barnabas 10:10
And David also receiveth knowledge of the same three decrees, and
saith; Blessed is the man who hath not gone in the council of the
ungodly
--even as the fishes go in darkness into the depths; and
hath not stood in the path of sinners
--just as they who pretend to
fear the Lord sin like swine; and hath not sat on the seat of the
destroyers
--as the birds that are seated for prey. Ye have now the
complete lesson concerning eating.

Barnabas 10:11
Again Moses saith; Ye shall everything that divideth the hoof and
cheweth the cud.
What meaneth he? He that receiveth the food
knoweth Him that giveth him the food, and being refreshed appeareth
to rejoice in him. Well said he, having regard to the commandment.
What then meaneth he? Cleave unto those that fear the Lord, with
those who meditate in their heart on the distinction of the word
which they have received, with those who tell of the ordinances of
the Lord and keep them, with those who know that meditation is a work
of gladness and who chew the cud of the word of the Lord. But why
that which divideth the hoof? Because the righteous man both walketh
in this world, and at the same time looketh for the holy world to
come. Ye see how wise a lawgiver Moses was.

Barnabas 10:12
But whence should they perceive or understand these things? Howbeit
we having justly perceived the commandments tell them as the Lord
willed. To this end He circumcised our ears and hearts, that we
might understand these things.
I remember reading these passages a long, long time ago when I had a book from the apostolic fathers, non-canonized epistles.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is reasonable to not ingest 'garbage collectors'.

You would think so, but that is not true. Those poisons are excreted out of the liver and flushed out of the body through the blood. No poisons or "garbage" stays inside the body, and in this case, liver. That's the way God made us! :)

Optimal health starts where we have control of what we put into our bodies. Even from ancient times the Hebrews were directed what animals were fit for human consumption and those that weren't. We do well to take notice.

If your are curious the list can be found here ... Leviticus 11

Actually, according to scripture, everything that moves was deemed food for mankind and animals after the flood. Genesis 9, and 1 Timothy 4. Before that, both man and animals ate only vegetarian. "Clean" animals from after Adam sinned were only for offerings to God. That is why 7 of the clean animals used for offerings to God were brought onto the ark. During the time of the Law, the Jews were separated from the Gentiles unto God, thus they were told to only eat what was set apart for God. But when the New Covenant came and when the gospel was finally given also to the "unclean" GENTILES, Leviticus 20:25-26, God cleansed what before had been unclean. Therefore, even though there are meats that are healthier than others, like liver and other organ meats of calves and beef, or chickens and turkeys, it is no longer a SIN to eat other animals when properly cooked.

Lean pork is every bit as good for your body as lean beef and chicken. In one study, substituting lean pork for beef and chicken led to less body fat and better heart health.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You would think so, but that is not true. Those poisons are excreted out of the liver and flushed out of the body through the blood. No poisons or "garbage" stays inside the body, and in this case, liver. That's the way God made us! :)

Actually, according to scripture, everything that moves was deemed food for mankind and animals after the flood. Genesis 9, and 1 Timothy 4. Before that, both man and animals ate only vegetarian. "Clean" animals from after Adam sinned were only for offerings to God. That is why 7 of the clean animals used for offerings to God were brought onto the ark. During the time of the Law, the Jews were separated from the Gentiles unto God, thus they were told to only eat what was set apart for God. But when the New Covenant came and when the gospel was finally given also to the "unclean" GENTILES, Leviticus 20:25-26, God cleansed what before had been unclean. Therefore, even though there are meats that are healthier than others, like liver and other organ meats of calves and beef, or chickens and turkeys, it is no longer a SIN to eat other animals when properly cooked.

Lean pork is every bit as good for your body as lean beef and chicken. In one study, substituting lean pork for beef and chicken led to less body fat and better heart health.
Do you think God's classification of clean and unclean was arbitrary?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are you under the Law of Moses?

Galatians 3:10 (NKJV)
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse;
Ohhh dear, a question answered with a question! You don't like Moses? :) Let's dispense with the second guessing. Do you have courage to address the question directly? Here it is again :) What do you think, was God arbitrary in his classification of clean and unclean?

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ohhh dear, a question answered with a question! You don't like Moses? :) Let's dispense with the second guessing. Do you have courage to address the question directly? Here it is again :) Do you think God was arbitrary in his classification of clean and unclean?
A question you didn't answer! Are you under the Law of Moses? You don't obey Moses!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think God's classification of clean and unclean was arbitrary?

He had certain animals that He taught them were for offerings from after Adam sinned, but they couldn't eat the meat from the offerings. And after we could eat meat, actually EVERYTHING THAT MOVED, it wasn't until the law that He told them what those outward specifications were in Leviticus 11, and restricted them, but not why. And no, I do not think they were arbitrary, but it goes deeper than the outer features of those animals. What about a rabbit would make it unclean? Just because it doesn't have forked hooves, even though it chews the cud? No, it goes deeper than that. What about a horse that would make it unclean, as it has the same diet as cows. What about a pig makes it unclean, as it is healthier to eat than chicken or beef when thoroughly cooked?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Hmmmmm, an interesting reply CL however, what are your thoughts on question of whether God was arbitrary in his classification of clean and unclean?