LIVER most nutrient dense meat, but YUCK!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL My grandfather started a barbecue place ‘T&F’ of course they didn’t barbecue possum. But my mom tells this story of a man coming in everyday betting nobody could ever get him to eat possum. My grandfather barbecued a possum one day and made him a chopped sandwich...after two sandwiches and saying how it was the best barbecue he had ever had, my grandfather told him ‘you just ate possum’. o_O

Uck!!!!

disgusted-woman-studio-portrait-picture-id168630065

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
For us older folk, whose parents went through the depression, we were feed a variety of cheap meat cuts, like pig trotters, tripe, (cow's stomach lining) , chook claws, hearts and gizzards, cow hearts, lamb and calf fries, lamb brains, silver side, lobbies, catfish etc.. The food was healthy and we all did not go without protein on the table because the meat purchased was affordable.

Gravy was made by browning plain flour in the residual fat/lard in the pan and then the frypan was deglazing with water to remove all the protein stuck to the pan so that it was easier to clean when it was washed up.

We would then use Ajax and steel wool to polish the cast iron frypan to polish the cooking surface to remove the last of the protein that was stuck to it.

A stewing pot was use to make chicken, meat and vegetable stock from the chicken carcases and meat bones .

To cook gizzards and hearts requires a pressure cooker, a common cooking pot found back then in the kitchen but today is considered to be dangerous to use in a household when not used correctly.

Lambs fry, i.e. liver, is spoilt when overcooked and becomes chewy to eat. Meat that is cooked so that there is no "blood" colouring left in the meat is like eating leather.

I like Kangaroo meat, but it become tough when over cooked. It needs to cooked so that the meat is still red when it is fried or grilled. If you do not want the meat to still be red when you eat it, sear the meat on both sides and then cook it in a microwave as the meat will still remain tender to eat.

So many of the skills that were used in the kitchen have been lost today in out rush to do as many "exciting" things as possible in as little time as possible.

Have people considered that the sausages we love to eat is the butchers way of not wasting any of the protein from the carcasses he buys for his shop to sell.

Being prepared to eat as many cuts of meat as possible means that wastage of meat etc., is reduced and this is a good thing in an environmental responsible context.

The yuck factor should not determine what we should be able to eat. Was not Peter told that all "food" was good for us?

In Australia, the original people groups would travel each year to a mountain in SE Qld, to eat the nuts off of the Bunya Pine trees. If the Bunya Pine nuts were not roasted properly, the nuts would be highly poisonous and was know to kill those who ate of the nut without it being cooked properly. It was a time for great social gatherings for those people in times past.

Oh well we are all a funny lot when it comes to what is good for us.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For us older folk, whose parents went through the depression, we were feed a variety of cheap meat cuts, like pig trotters, tripe, (cow's stomach lining) , chook claws, hearts and gizzards, cow hearts, brains, silver side, lobbies, catfish etc.. The food was healthy and we all did not go without protein on the table because the meat purchased was affordable.

Gravy was made by browning plain flour in the residual fat/lard in the pan and then the frypan was deglazing with water to remove all the protein stuck to the pan so that it was easier to clean when it was washed up.

We would then use Ajax and steel wool to polish the cast iron frypan to polish the cooking surface to remove the last of the protein that was stuck to it.

A stewing pot was use to make chicken and vegetable stock from the chicken carcases, as well as meat and vegetable stock.

To cook gizzards and hearts requires a pressure cooker, a common cooking pot found back then in the kitchen but today is considered to be dangerous to use in a household.

Lambs fry, i.e. liver, is spoilt when overcooked and becomes chewy to eat. Meat that is cooked so that there is no "blood" colouring left in the meat is like eating leather.

I like Kangaroo meat, but it become tough when over cooked. It needs to cooked so that the meat is still red when it is fried or grilled. If you do not want the meat to still be red when you eat it, sear the meat on both sides and then cook it in a microwave as the meat will still remain tender to eat.

So many of the skills that were used in the kitchen have been lost today in out rush to do as many "exciting" things as possible in as little time as possible.

Have people considered that the sausages we love to eat is the butchers way of not wasting any of the protein from the carcasses he buys for his shop to sell.

Being prepared to eat as many cuts of meat as possible means that wastage of meat etc., is reduced and this is a good thing in an environmental responsible context.

The yuck factor should not determine what we should be able to eat. Was not Peter told that all "food" was good for us?

In Australia, the original people groups would travel each year to a mountain in SE Qld, to eat the nuts off of the Bunya Pine trees. If the Bunya Pine nuts were not roasted properly, the nuts would be highly poisonous and was know to kill those who ate of the nut without it being cooked properly. It was a time for great social gatherings for those people in times past.

Oh well we are all a funny lot when it comes to what is good for us.

I remember loving Austrailia's beef sausages. What the English call bangers. I've tried getting some recipes and giving it to a local butcher, but he never got them right.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I remember loving Austrailia's beef sausages. What the English call bangers. I've tried getting some recipes and giving it to a local butcher, but he never got them right.

Probably not enough "sawdust" in the mince used to make them.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
LOL, there is some kind of meal they are to put in, but we don't have it here. It starts with an "m"

One of the key ingrediencies in making sausages is fat which adds flavour.

I make my own rissoles and I add dried breadcrumbs to the meat mixture as well as vegetables and herbs and seasoning. I could also use meal, which is the husks of the seeds which is discarded when making flour of many types, "White" when wholemeal flour is not desired.

One of the other ingrediencies needed in the mixture to bind the meat together is water and this is one of the reasons why the sausages are coated in plain floor to stop the fat/oil from spitting hot oil everywhere over the stove top.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I LOVE liver!!!!

I liked liver the last time I had it, -- probably a half dozen years ago --, but my "pantry" has about 140 cans of WONDERFUL Keystone Beef (avail. from W/M) for the family:

28oz Keystone Beef.jpeg

... and I think somewhere close to 250 cans of SPAM for a change of pace, and for the "needy":

SPAM.jpeg
But DON'T BUY THE LOW SODIUM version. Salt is a preservative, and the REGULAR SPAM should be good for decades versus months for the Low-Sodium.

So stock up while you can, and ENJOY when we can't buy or sell! :)
Bobby Jo

Last edited:

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the key ingrediencies in making sausages is fat which adds flavour.

I make my own rissoles and I add dried breadcrumbs to the meat mixture as well as vegetables and herbs and seasoning. I could also use meal, which is the husks of the seeds which is discarded when making flour of many types, "White" when wholemeal flour is not desired.

One of the other ingrediencies needed in the mixture to bind the meat together is water and this is one of the reasons why the sausages are coated in plain floor to stop the fat/oil from spitting hot oil everywhere over the stove top.

I remember going to a fair when I was down under and saw them making them. It has been many decades since I was there, but I can still "taste" them.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Liver is high in vitamin A, folic acid, iron, and zinc. Liver is the most nutrient dense organ meat, and it is a powerful source of vitamin A. Vitamin A is beneficial for eye health and for reducing diseases that cause inflammation, including everything from Alzheimer's disease to arthritis.

One warning: Do not eat liver more than once a week at most, even though it is cheap. Too much liver, like every day, can cause a toxicity of Vitamin A called Hypervitaminosis A. The symptoms are:

Symptoms of acute vitamin A toxicity include:

Symptoms of chronic vitamin A toxicity include:

My mom used to serve us chicken liver with our eggs on Sunday mornings. I always found it revolting. I've never understood how an organ meant to filter out toxins from the circulatory system could be a healthy food. How does that work?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My mom used to serve us chicken liver with our eggs on Sunday mornings. I always found it revolting. I've never understood how an organ meant to filter out toxins from the circulatory system could be a healthy food. How does that work?

Any liver when it is overcooked becomes "powdery" to the senses and as such it is also unpleasant to eat.

Now the protein structure of the "filter" does not store the toxins but is the means by which they are collected and then flushed out of the respective body.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I always wondered that too, so googled it.

When the liver has broken down harmful substances, its by-products are excreted into the bile or blood. Bile by-products enter the intestine and leave the body in the form of feces. Blood by-products are filtered out by the kidneys, and leave the body in the form of urine.

cc: @Jay Ross

Last edited:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I liked liver the last time I had it, -- probably a half dozen years ago --, but my "pantry" has about 140 cans of WONDERFUL Keystone Beef (avail. from W/M) for the family:

... and I think somewhere close to 250 cans of SPAM for a change of pace, and for the "needy":

But DON'T BUY THE LOW SODIUM version. Salt is a preservative, and the REGULAR SPAM should be good for decades versus months for the Low-Sodium.

So stock up while you can, and ENJOY when we can't buy or sell! :)
Bobby Jo

Never heard of liver in a can. I definitely have to check it out. Now spam, don't eat that all that much. Corn beef hash is salvageable and pretty good straight from the can

Reactions: Bobby Jo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never heard of liver in a can. I definitely have to check it out. Now spam, don't eat that all that much. Corn beef hash is salvageable and pretty good straight from the can

Well, I guess "liver" comes from a steer, but I never considered it "beef" in the classical sense. -- The Keystone "BEEF" is half-dollar size chips which if Grandma could cook as good as these taste, she'd be living with us. :)

Bobby Jo

Reactions: Mayflower

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Liver is fine, if eaten from a clean animal, provided it is drained of blood. I see some comments here that talk about unclean animals such as pigs. The bible does not endorse eating such animals.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Liver is fine, if eaten from a clean animal, provided it is drained of blood. I see some comments here that talk about unclean animals such as pigs. The bible does not endorse eating such animals.

After the flood it was not that way.

Before the flood there was no such thing as unclean animals. But there were only certain animals that were clean enough to be an offering to the Lord. But as for food, from the Garden of Eden until the flood, all animals and humans ate vegetation. Even carnivores. There was no spilling of blood in the Garden. Meat was only introduced to our nature and the nature of carnivores after the flood, and all moving things were good for food. But God commanded more of the animals used for offerings to God to be brought on the ark. Seven of each, rather than the two of all other animals.

Genesis 9:
3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs. 4 But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.

Actually, unclean animals were considered unclean because they represented Gentiles to the Jews. But when the gospel was opened to the Gentiles, Cornelius being the first, God cleansed all animals from being considered sinful to eat.

Leviticus 20:
25 You shall therefore distinguish between clean animals and unclean, between unclean birds and clean, and you shall not make yourselves abominable by beast or by bird, or by any kind of living thing that creeps on the ground, which I have separated from you as unclean. 26 And you shall be holy to Me, for I the Lord am holy, and have separated you from the peoples, that you should be Mine.

Acts of the Apostles 10:
15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed you must not call common.”

1 Timothy 4:
3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs. 4 But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.

1 Corinthians 6:
12 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. 13 Foods for the stomach and the stomach for foods, but God will destroy both it and them.

There are some meats that must be cooked fully, like pork, but even "clean" meats like poultry. A turkey that has not reached a certain temperature when being baked, and then eaten can kill you. Beef and fish, on the other hand, can be eaten raw or rare.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayflower