Living For the World to see Only Jesus (part 2)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lewis

Jan 31, 2019
Southeastern United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
III. The Holy Spirit wants to reprove us. Jesus said in John 16:7-11 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. The most important way the Holy Spirit reproves is through the Word of God. He reveals the unbelief and sin of man, the righteousness of God, and the judgment to come. He continues to do this daily, if He is allowed to, as we look into the word of God. Jesus called the Holy Spirit the "Spirit of Truth" because He bears witness of the truth, by doing so He reproves our sin. Paul said in Gal 5:16-18 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. The reproof of the Holy Spirit gives us the opportunity to agree with God. 1 John 1:8-10 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. If we fail to make the Word of God a regular part of our life we deprive the Holy Spirit of the best tool He has to reprove us. Consider that TV, movies, internet, social media, commentators and news organizations are doing little to show us our rebellion against God. It's hard to imagine how we can make a difference if God is not reproving us daily.

IV. The Holy Spirit wants to teach us. Paul wrote in 1 Cor 2:9-12 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Jesus said in John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. The Holy Spirit teaches us primarily through enlightenment and understanding in the things of God through His Word. An important key to being taught is found in Ps 25:9 The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way. Consider that TV, movies, internet, social media, commentators and news organizations are not very interested in you learning the ways of God. If we are unwilling to come daily to the Word of God with a teachable spirit it's hard to imagine how we can make a difference in this world.

V. The Holy Spirit wants to comfort us. Jesus said in John 14:16-18 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. Comfort means to call near and encourage. The best encouragement comes through truth and love. The Holy Spirit will seek to comfort us by reminding us of God's truth and God's love as found in His Word. Jesus said in John 14:26 that the Holy Spirit would "bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." Job rightly said in Job 14:1 Man that is born of a woman is of few days and full of trouble. How sad it is we refuse God's comfort through His Holy Spirit because we will not hear the word of God. Consider that TV, movies, internet, social media, commentators and news organizations are not all that concerned with you hearing God's word or being comforted. It's hard to imagine making a difference in this world if we're not letting God's Spirit comfort us through His word.

VI. The Holy Spirit wants us to trust in God with all our heart. Prov 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. “With all thine heart” means the inner man or the hidden part. That kind of trust is only possible when we are allowing the Holy Spirit to do in us all He wishes to do. God's people become ineffective when they fail to trust Him unconditionally. Consider that TV, movies, internet, social media, commentators and news organizations are not really compelling you to trust in God unconditionally. If we acknowledge God in all our ways He will direct our path. It's hard to imagine how we make a difference in this world if we won't trust in God with all our heart.

VII. The Holy Spirit wants us to pray. Phil 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Prayer is talking to God. It's telling Him what He means to you. It's thanking Him for what He's done. It's interceding of behalf of others. It's making requests for yourself. It's finding peace by casting all your care upon God because He cares for you. Consider that TV, movies, internet, social media, commentators and news organizations are not really going to help you pray. It's hard to imagine how we can make a difference in this world without effectual and fervent prayer.

Conclusion. The remedy for a Christianity that's failing to make a difference in this world is really very simple. Let God make us into people that can make a difference. TV, movies, internet, social media, commentators and news organizations may have their place and may even help a little in making a difference, but they cannot do what only God can. Making a difference is possible through God's word and His Spirit. Are you living for the world to see only Jesus?