Loving the Law

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
David said...

Psa 119:47 And I will delight myself in thy commandments, which I have loved
Psa 119:48 My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.

Psa 119:142 Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy law is the truth.

Psa 119:163 I hate and abhor lying: but thy law do I love

Psa 119:115 Depart from me, ye evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God. .

Psa 119:97 . O how I love thy law! it is my meditation all the day.

There is a great lack of understanding in the church of today regarding the law and it's purpose. We see 2 extremes that both lead to futility.

On the one hand we have the Jews who seek to obey the law of righteousness...but from themselves in their own strength and traditions.

On the other hand we have the lawless ones calling themselves believers who think that God wishes to abolish the law in order to make men righteous. But God is a righteous God and we must be HOLY before Him.

The truth is that we, by faith, have access to the resurrection power of grace so that we accomplish the law through the indwelling Christ. It is Christ in us that enables us to do all things. As we abide in Christ the law is satisfied since we do exactly as our Master says...because He empowers us to do it. This is Christianity. Not some scheme to try to attain to righteousness by our own efforts, or by condoning lawlessness through a false belief system that makes God unrighteous and encourages the rebellion of Adam.

We must love the law...and do it perfectly. But only in Christ can this be done.

We love the light since the light exposes not sin...but our faith in Christ.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We don't have faith in Christ in order to avoid the law...but in order to empower us to fulfill it.

Reactions: Prentis

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
David said...

Psa 119:47 And I will delight myself in thy commandments, which I have loved
Psa 119:48 My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.

Psa 119:142 Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy law is the truth.

Psa 119:163 I hate and abhor lying: but thy law do I love

Psa 119:115 Depart from me, ye evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God. .

Psa 119:97 . O how I love thy law! it is my meditation all the day.

There is a great lack of understanding in the church of today regarding the law and it's purpose. We see 2 extremes that both lead to futility.

On the one hand we have the Jews who seek to obey the law of righteousness...but from themselves in their own strength and traditions.

On the other hand we have the lawless ones calling themselves believers who think that God wishes to abolish the law in order to make men righteous. But God is a righteous God and we must be HOLY before Him.

The truth is that we, by faith, have access to the resurrection power of grace so that we accomplish the law through the indwelling Christ. It is Christ in us that enables us to do all things. As we abide in Christ the law is satisfied since we do exactly as our Master says...because He empowers us to do it. This is Christianity. Not some scheme to try to attain to righteousness by our own efforts, or by condoning lawlessness through a false belief system that makes God unrighteous and encourages the rebellion of Adam.

We must love the law...and do it perfectly. But only in Christ can this be done.

We love the light since the light exposes not sin...but our faith in Christ.

What do you make of what Paul said here then?

15 Dear brothers and sisters, here’s an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or amend an irrevocable agreement, so it is in this case.16 God gave the promises to Abraham and his child. And notice that the Scripture doesn’t say “to his children, ” as if it meant many descendants. Rather, it says “to his child”—and that, of course, means Christ.17 This is what I am trying to say: The agreement God made with Abraham could not be canceled 430 years later when God gave the law to Moses. God would be breaking his promise.18 For if the inheritance could be received by keeping the law, then it would not be the result of accepting God’s promise. But God graciously gave it to Abraham as a promise.19 Why, then, was the law given? It was given alongside the promise to show people their sins. But the law was designed to last only until the coming of the child who was promised. God gave his law through angels to Moses, who was the mediator between God and the people.20 Now a mediator is helpful if more than one party must reach an agreement. But God, who is one, did not use a mediator when he gave his promise to Abraham.21 Is there a conflict, then, between God’s law and God’s promises? Absolutely not! If the law could give us new life, we could be made right with God by obeying it.22 But the Scriptures declare that we are all prisoners of sin, so we receive God’s promise of freedom only by believing in Jesus Christ.
Gal 3:15-22 (NLT)

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ fulfilled the law. We will never fulfill the law as we have already sinned and fallen short, and sin after belief. Even after belief, believers still sin, yet we are called to holiness and repentance. Just as Jesus learned obedience, so we must do the same. We are not greater than our Master. It is the spirit of the Helper that empowers us now to overcome sin. It is that same spirt that breaks our bondage to sin. Still even after that bondage is broken, it is easy to fall into the trappings of sin because we are habitual creatures. This is why Paul says we must be transformed by the renewing of our minds. We must begin to think differently. We do know Jesus did not come to abolish the law, yet to fulfill. Upon the fulfillment of the law, His obligation to the law was removed. Now us, as believers in Christ, receive the HolySpirit which imputes holiness and righteousness to us. Naturally through growth in the Spirit our old habits fall away and we learn to become holy. This process is proven throughout the epistles, otherwise there would be no correction needed to be given.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What do you make of what Paul said here then?
15 Dear brothers and sisters, here’s an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or amend an irrevocable agreement, so it is in this case.16 God gave the promises to Abraham and his child. And notice that the Scripture doesn’t say “to his children, ” as if it meant many descendants. Rather, it says “to his child”—and that, of course, means Christ.17 This is what I am trying to say: The agreement God made with Abraham could not be canceled 430 years later when God gave the law to Moses. God would be breaking his promise.18 For if the inheritance could be received by keeping the law, then it would not be the result of accepting God’s promise. But God graciously gave it to Abraham as a promise.19 Why, then, was the law given? It was given alongside the promise to show people their sins. But the law was designed to last only until the coming of the child who was promised. God gave his law through angels to Moses, who was the mediator between God and the people.20 Now a mediator is helpful if more than one party must reach an agreement. But God, who is one, did not use a mediator when he gave his promise to Abraham.21 Is there a conflict, then, between God’s law and God’s promises? Absolutely not! If the law could give us new life, we could be made right with God by obeying it.22 But the Scriptures declare that we are all prisoners of sin, so we receive God’s promise of freedom only by believing in Jesus Christ.
Gal 3:15-22 (NLT)

The law is for the lawless...but that doesnt mean we get away with more for our beliefs. The opposite is true. To whom much is given MORE is required. So the resurrection grace of Christ given to us enables us to walk in perfect accordance with the law in all righteousness.

Jesus Christ fulfilled the law. We will never fulfill the law as we have already sinned and fallen short, and sin after belief. Even after belief, believers still sin, yet we are called to holiness and repentance. Just as Jesus learned obedience, so we must do the same. We are not greater than our Master. It is the spirit of the Helper that empowers us now to overcome sin. It is that same spirt that breaks our bondage to sin. Still even after that bondage is broken, it is easy to fall into the trappings of sin because we are habitual creatures. This is why Paul says we must be transformed by the renewing of our minds. We must begin to think differently. We do know Jesus did not come to abolish the law, yet to fulfill. Upon the fulfillment of the law, His obligation to the law was removed. Now us, as believers in Christ, receive the HolySpirit which imputes holiness and righteousness to us. Naturally through growth in the Spirit our old habits fall away and we learn to become holy. This process is proven throughout the epistles, otherwise there would be no correction needed to be given.

The Holy Spirit imparts holiness..not imputes it. It is actually real. The bible is not of men so as to get men off the hook. Perhaps you have not yet realized that WE are the fulfillment of the law in Christ.

Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
impute

1. To relate to a particular cause or source; attribute the fault or responsibility to: imputed the rocket failure to a faulty gasket; kindly imputed my clumsiness to inexperience.
2. To assign as a characteristic; credit: the gracefulness so often imputed to cats. See Synonyms at attribute
The HolySpirit imputes my righteousness. Without the HolySpirit my works are filthy rags.
Now there are 613 laws in the Torah, of which none we are bound to. Jesus completely fulfilled those laws for us. To walk in the Spirit is to walk in accordance to righteousness, a righteousness we could never walk in accordance to without the HolySpirit. With my liberty I am to be aware of my brothers and sisters in Christ as to not be a stumbling block. This is an act of love and kindness, Spirit driven. To live according to the Spirit is to deny the cardinal nature, and to seek spiritual desire. My point being this is something learned and not immediate. There is much scripture to support the idea that the apostles trained the saints to be saints and it took time. Even the fact that upon revisits these same saints fell into some difficulties. Look at the letters to the seven churches in Revelation.
Yes the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us, but not by us, rather the HolySpirit. We simply deny the flesh by the empowerment of the HolySpirit.

Thank You for pointing that out as my earlier post does seem misleading.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
The law is for the lawless...but that doesnt mean we get away with more for our beliefs. The opposite is true. To whom much is given MORE is required. So the resurrection grace of Christ given to us enables us to walk in perfect accordance with the law in all righteousness.
Really? That's what you get from Paul's statement? Could paraphrase the text I posted please?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Really? That's what you get from Paul's statement? Could paraphrase the text I posted please?

Gal 3:15 Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.
Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
Gal 3:17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

The new covenant does not disannul the law...otherwise God has changed His mind about holiness. But God never said..."if you can't beat them...join them". Rather the promise was to rain righteousness on us. We have now become righteous through His righteousness. So through Christ we now are as obedient as the abiding we have faith for. So ALL sin for a Christian is through unbelief. All that is not of faith...is sin.

Gal 3:18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.
Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
Gal 3:20 Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.
Gal 3:21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

The law does not produce righteousness in fallen men. Men are incapable of obedience to a level that is acceptable to a holy God. So He must fulfill the law IN us through grace by faith. We then walk as Jesus accomplishing the law. We are become the righteousness of God who abide in Christ.

2Co_5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

The modern fabrication of Jesus being righteous INSTEAD of us is unbiblical and from the devil.

Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

There is no justification through having the law.The Jews are on the same footing as we are. Those who believe receive the promised grace to be set free from the bondage of sin and enter the promised land of holiness.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I am not sure how you got "So He must fulfill the law IN us through grace by faith. We then walk as Jesus accomplishing the law" out of this text.
Gal 3:18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.
Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
Gal 3:21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

How about this instead? The law was added to the promise till Christ came, and now that Christ has come the law has been taken away from the promise. Since the Law could not give life neither could it make anyone righteous.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am not sure how you got "So He must fulfill the law IN us through grace by faith. We then walk as Jesus accomplishing the law" out of this text.

How about this instead? The law was added to the promise till Christ came, and now that Christ has come the law has been taken away from the promise. Since the Law could not give life neither could make anyone righteous.

But the law is still in place because the judgment has not yet come. Jesus said that heaven and earth would pass away before the slightest point of the law was taken away.

Until the SEED Jesus Christ came men were under the condemnation of the law they could not keep. They were in bondage to a nature that only knew to sin. But having been born again and empowered by the Spirit we now fulfill the law...not us...but Christ in us.

The law reveals who we really are. We need this reference so as not to be deceived. That which is of God overcomes the world. Those who abide in Christ are freed from the need to sin. We are saved in order to walk in holiness with God.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
But the law is still in place because the judgment has not yet come. Jesus said that heaven and earth would pass away before the slightest point of the law was taken away.

Until the SEED Jesus Christ came men were under the condemnation of the law they could not keep. They were in bondage to a nature that only knew to sin. But having been born again and empowered by the Spirit we now fulfill the law...not us...but Christ in us.

The law reveals who we really are. We need this reference so as not to be deceived. That which is of God overcomes the world. Those who abide in Christ are freed from the need to sin. We are saved in order to walk in holiness with God.
Actually Jesus said that no point of the law would pass away until all was fulfilled and on the cross Jesus said it is finished.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Actually Jesus said that no point of the law would pass away until all was fulfilled and on the cross Jesus said it is finished.

The means of salvation is finished, but we still have to walk it out by faith. The law is no more abolished than gravity has been abolished. But God has made men to fly, so to speak, by giving him the wings of faith.

We are not saved by the elimination of the law.....but by it's fulfillment in us as we abide in Christ. That is what the bible teaches. As long as there is lawlessness in the world, the law will stand.

Reactions: Prentis

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Why can't they see it like you do Episopos.
Do some Christians try to hide from the light.
How can one reject the Law as God gave it to us, as it is not a joke. and remember who rejected Holy Moses when he came down with it. was it all in vain what Moses was doing.
Next thing we will be worshiping that bloody golden calf.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
The means of salvation is finished, but we still have to walk it out by faith. The law is no more abolished than gravity has been abolished. But God has made men to fly, so to speak, by giving him the wings of faith.

We are not saved by the elimination of the law.....but by it's fulfillment in us as we abide in Christ. That is what the bible teaches. As long as there is lawlessness in the world, the law will stand.

But thats not what Paul said

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why can't they see it like you do Episopos.
Do some Christians try to hide from the light.
How can one reject the Law as God gave it to us, as it is not a joke. and remember who rejected Holy Moses when he came down with it. was it all in vain what Moses was doing.
Next thing we will be worshiping that bloody golden calf.

We are already doing the calf thing. Idolatry is rampant in the church. We do not live in a vacuum. It is just that idolatry is not SEEN as idolatry because there are no literal golden calfs about. We are careful about that! ;)

A partial list of idols...nationalism (flag)...the pursuit of our own way (statue of Liberty)......love of money and earthly means (Mammon)...love of position and power..(Baal)...loved ones put first on a pedestal (household gods)

But thats not what Paul said

What parts does Paul contradict?

What does this mean? Please don't wander; get to the point.

We are living in a time where lies are respected as truth. We live in the age of camouflage, subterfuge, propaganda, sales pitches, exagerations and straight out lies. We are used to them on a national level. We embrace them in order to "win"....either in war or "peace"

Then we come to the scriptures with this same carnal tendency. So we can no longer recognize the truth. The truth SOUNDS like more propaganda. We become cynical rather than child-like....so used, we are, to hearing falsehoods.

Why can't we all agree on the falsehoods? Well, we agree with a lot of them...especially those we have been conditioned with from early childhood concerning the country we happen to live in. It takes time for the false preachers to bring about this false unity in the church. There seems to be some that refuse to go with the crowd. ;)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The love of other things will choke out the word so that we will read something in the bible while totally ignoring the implications. For instance Jesus tells us we must hate our families and even our own lives compared to Him. This is thrown aside as we care for our families first and seek to preserve our own lives with it's opinions and seekings. Do we really put the kingdom first? Have we forsaken everything?

So only those with a love for the truth will understand the word and be able to apply it.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 3:2-7

This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing by faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now perfected by the flesh? Did you suffer so many things in vain-if indeed it was in vain? So then, does He who provides you with the Spirit and work miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing by faith? Even so Abraham BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS. Therefore it is those who are of faith who are the sons of righteousness.

Always it is taught that righteousness is of faith, not of works. This is why we are no longer bound to the Law. This is why we have liberty to do anything, although not everything is profitable to our souls. We will give an account of our lives before the White Throne. This righteousness is nothing I have done on my own, so that no man can boast, but is imputed to me, through the HolySpirit. Shall I continue to go on sinning? May it never be! Just as Paul says. But my actions have nothing to do with my salvation, it is my faith that has everything to do with it.

Just as it is He who works the miracles amongst us, it is He who perfects us towards His image. Thereby as we progress towards His image, He who is already perfect and without sin, the rebellious self is denied.

As Jesus is the one who fulfilled the Law for us, and is now the same Spirit testifying in us, why is it anyone would want to go back under the Law?
Galatians 4:30
But what does the scripture say? CAST OUT THE BONDWOMAN AND HER SON, FOR THE SON OF THE BONDWOMAN SHALL NOT BE AN HEIR WITH THE SON OF THE FREEWOMAN.

Galatians 5:16
But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.
Galatians 5:19-23
Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarned you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

To those who truly live in Christ there is no law, for true righteousness needs no law.
Shalom

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Galatians 3:2-7

This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing by faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now perfected by the flesh? Did you suffer so many things in vain-if indeed it was in vain? So then, does He who provides you with the Spirit and work miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing by faith? Even so Abraham BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS. Therefore it is those who are of faith who are the sons of righteousness.

Always it is taught that righteousness is of faith, not of works. This is why we are no longer bound to the Law. This is why we have liberty to do anything, although not everything is profitable to our souls. We will give an account of our lives before the White Throne. This righteousness is nothing I have done on my own, so that no man can boast, but is imputed to me, through the HolySpirit. Shall I continue to go on sinning? May it never be! Just as Paul says. But my actions have nothing to do with my salvation, it is my faith that has everything to do with it.

Just as it is He who works the miracles amongst us, it is He who perfects us towards His image. Thereby as we progress towards His image, He who is already perfect and without sin, the rebellious self is denied.

As Jesus is the one who fulfilled the Law for us, and is now the same Spirit testifying in us, why is it anyone would want to go back under the Law?
Galatians 4:30
But what does the scripture say? CAST OUT THE BONDWOMAN AND HER SON, FOR THE SON OF THE BONDWOMAN SHALL NOT BE AN HEIR WITH THE SON OF THE FREEWOMAN.

Galatians 5:16
But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.
Galatians 5:19-23
Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarned you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

To those who truly live in Christ there is no law, for true righteousness needs no law.
Shalom

..against SUCH there is no law. My body heals itself when I get a cut. When I have no cut...I don't need that healing. But the healing abiblity is still there.

That is the way it is with the law. When we walk by the Spirit we are not under the law. But the law is still there if needed. If we transgress the law...we are still responsible for this.