Loving Those With Different Doctrines

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I completely and emphatically disagree with the premise that there isn't a doctrinal purity test for salvation, and so does the Bible:

"But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie." - Rev. 22:15

"But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed." - Gal. 1:8-9

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."
- 2 Tim. 4:7

one Lord, one faith, one baptism;
- Eph. 4:7

"Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." - Jude

True love comes from practicing and believing what is taught in the Bible, not just displaying an emotion towards loved ones. The idea that there isn't a doctrinal purity test to receive salvation is another way of saying there are many paths to God. If your doctrines aren't pure, you're not practicing biblical Christianity. If you refuse to practice biblical Christianity, you will not be saved. It's that simple.
Agreed but in practice, it often seems like:
In Essentials, Don’t submit or compromise.

In non-essentials, Dismiss others doctrines.

In all things, don’t give in to temptation to consider anything valid about other doctrines.

<sigh> We miss the mark.
There is no such thing as "non-essentials". Paul explicitly stated in 2 Tim. 3 that all scripture is profitable for doctrine. By suggesting there are parts of the Bible a Christian can dismiss, you're telling them to compromise.

Last edited:

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems like there are a few threads now on this point. Our passion for doctrine has become an idol. It is as if the new command Jesus gave is to proselytize endlessly to what your doctrine is.

Fortunately, there is no doctrinal purity test to enter heaven, be saved, receive eternal life, etc. My pastor said earlier this year that if upon his death people remark at his command of doctrine, he knows that means he has missed the boat. He said he wants it remarked at his funeral of the way he loved.

My grandchildren don't know my politics or religion. All they know is that I love them. I show them that I love them in every way. Their mother, my DIL, has turned from God. No doubt this is a major contributing factor to her becoming distant from me and her mother. We also never discussed or debated doctrine.

If she cannot see the light coming from me and her mom, that is on her. She does not have eyes to see. We try our best to love them anyway. Amen. You?
"Sound Doctrine"

2 Timothy 4:1-4KJV
1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Romans 16:17-18KJV
17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread is way after that. You've shared, discussed and debated doctrine you fiercely disagree on?

A pastor at a family function began threatening guests who did not accept his doctrine. (The threat was eternal damnation).
That is wrong for he is not God and to threaten someone who does not accept your doctrine is not Holy and wishing love and peace to one another, this is why I find it difficult to find a Church or am weary of joining one.

I've been to both Catholic and Protestant Churches, and have seen and heard through the preaching that most are interested in money, and most allow LGTB's in their Church and welcome them, except for the Catholic Church or Orthodox Church, for the time being they are still strictly against that deviancy, but then they are highly into Idolatry and rituals.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no such thing as "non-essentials". Paul explicitly stated in 2 Tim. 3 that all scripture is profitable for doctrine.

I'm afraid you are missing the point.

This thread goes to show what an idol people have made of their doctrine. What is this doctrine in comparison to the most and 2nd most important commandments that Jesus gave?

Sure, I like to debate doctrine in an on-line forum but in practice, I seldom do. Instead, I strive for the world to see John 13:33-35 in practice. The other day my adult stepson came over with his live in gf, both with odd colored hair. She changes her odd colored hair every time we see her and she's done that for years. We don't debate doctrine. We just love on each other.

If we did discuss doctrine. I'm sure it would lead to strife. No good comes from contributing to strife. I pray they see the light and they see the light in my wife and I, our joy and love is our signature, not our doctrine.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm afraid you are missing the point.

This thread goes to show what an idol people have made of their doctrine. What is this doctrine in comparison to the most and 2nd most important commandments that Jesus gave?

Sure, I like to debate doctrine in an on-line forum but in practice, I seldom do. Instead, I strive for the world to see John 13:33-35 in practice. The other day my adult stepson came over with his live in gf, both with odd colored hair. She changes her odd colored hair every time we see her and she's done that for years. We don't debate doctrine. We just love on each other.

If we did discuss doctrine. I'm sure it would lead to strife. No good comes from contributing to strife. I pray they see the light and they see the light in my wife and I, our joy and love is our signature, not our doctrine.
I'm not missing the point at all. You're arguing that displaying an emotion that is commonly confused as love is more important than obeying biblical doctrine, and it's simply not true. Living by the 2 great commandments as Christ said is how someone practices true love(Deut. 6:5, Lev. 19:18). The only way somebody can make an idol out of their doctrine is if they reject what the Bible says to believe and do what they want.

There is nothing idolatrous about practicing what is literally written in the Bible, and to claim the opposite is true is simply ludicrous. You can't logically say you want the world to see Jhn 13:33-35 while simultaneously claiming living by biblical doctrine is practicing idolatry. If you want the world to see that passage in practice, you first need to understand that the "love" Christ talks about comes from the 10 commandments being kept, not the "love" this world commonly talks about.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Live by the spirit my friend and let God work on your heart. The Bible is secondary and referential, living by the spirit should be the primary.

Reactions: Wrangler

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Live by the spirit my friend and let God work on your heart. The Bible is secondary and referential, living by the spirit should be the primary.
@MatthewG I do think that the Spirit-inspired Scriptures are so rich, that the Spirit of God will not lead anyone at cross-purposes against the Scriptures that He inspired. "Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for they are the rejoicing of my heart." (Psalm 119.111)

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not missing the point at all. You're arguing that displaying an emotion that is commonly confused as love is more important than obeying biblical doctrine

You are missing the point for that is not my argument at all. Not once did I mention emotion. Refer to Rom 14:1,13; Jam 4:11-12; & John 13:35 for clarification on what my argument is.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
claiming living by biblical doctrine is practicing idolatry.

You are lost, holding your doctrine to such a idol, you completely miss it being of secondary importance. Not once did I ever say what you wrote above. The challenge is dealing with other who do NOT live by your little & irrelevant doctrines - irrelevant to those who do not share them.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your insight.
@MatthewG I do think that the Spirit-inspired Scriptures are so rich, that the Spirit of God will not lead anyone at cross-purposes against the Scriptures that He inspired. "Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for they are the rejoicing of my heart." (Psalm 119.111)

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Spirit of God will not lead anyone at cross-purposes against the Scriptures that He inspired.

Agreed. However, you are judging others in violation of Ja 4:11-12.

The Spirit of God is discerning and Ecclesiastes informs us there are different season to do opposite things. A time to save and a time to kill. One with little understanding will not grasp how doing these opposite things IS in keeping with the Spirit of God. Clearly, your post is in defense of doctrine and not love of those whose doctrines are different.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Agreed. However, you are judging others in violation of Ja 4:11-12.

The Spirit of God is discerning and Ecclesiastes informs us there are different season to do opposite things. A time to save and a time to kill. One with little understanding will not grasp how doing these opposite things IS in keeping with the Spirit of God. Clearly, your post is in defense of doctrine and not love of those whose doctrines are different.
...but one can never elevate love, in the saving purposes of God, above revealed truth. The Lord Jesus is indeed full of grace and full of truth (John 1.14).

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...but one can never elevate love, in the saving purposes of God, above revealed truth. The Lord Jesus is indeed full of grace and full of truth (John 1.14).

There is no but. Truth is a noun. Love is a verb.

If your ‘truth’ denigrates image beaters of God, you have sinned against God and man.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripturally, love and truth go hand in hand; and Scriptural doctrine is revealed truth.

Clearly, you are putting nouns (truth) above verbs (love). Your doctrine contradicts Scripture. I know it is hard for you to destroy your idol, your idolized doctrine.

12 For now, we can only see a dim and blurry picture of things, as when we stare into polished metal. I realize that everything I know is only part of the big picture. But one day, when Jesus arrives, we will see clearly, face-to-face. In that day, I will fully know just as I have been wholly known by God. 13 But now faith, hope, and love remain; these three virtues must characterize our lives. The greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 13:12-13 (Voice)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Clearly, you are putting nouns (truth) above verbs (love). Your doctrine contradicts Scripture.

12 For now, we can only see a dim and blurry picture of things, as when we stare into polished metal. I realize that everything I know is only part of the big picture. But one day, when Jesus arrives, we will see clearly, face-to-face. In that day, I will fully know just as I have been wholly known by God. 13 But now faith, hope, and love remain; these three virtues must characterize our lives. The greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 13:12-13 (Voice)
We are not communicating well. Love for the truth and love for the Scriptures and love for sinners all tie in harmoniously in Christ; we don't have to set aside truth and doctrine in order to love one's fellow men.

(But I fear our exchanges are going round and round in circles.)

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are not communicating well. Love for the truth ...

Mainly because we disagree on every single point. Indeed, we are communicating effectively. Every SINGLE time you disregard loving those whose doctrine is not the same as yours but defend the wonders of truth, we disagree.

Scripture is annoyingly unqualified in our burden to love others. This means, we have the burden to love others even if their understanding of the truth is wrong. Stop trying to change the subject to truth, which is just code for your idolized doctrine. I read 2 Tim 2:14 which refers to your game.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Mainly because we disagree on every single point. Indeed, we are communicating effectively. Every SINGLE time you disregard loving those whose doctrine is not the same as yours but defend the wonders of truth, we disagree.

Scripture is annoyingly unqualified in our burden to love others. This means, we have the burden to love others even if their understanding of the truth is wrong. Stop trying to change the subject to truth, which is just code for your idolized doctrine. I read 2 Tim 2:14 which refers to your game.
I can't agree with the statement highlighted.

John 3.16.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't agree with the statement highlighted.

John 3.16.

Understood. John 3:16 has nothing to do with this thread. Just another attempt on your part to change the subject, the burden you have to slay your idolized doctrine.

There is no equality between doctrinal purity and love. Not only is that explicit in 1 Corinthians 13:12-13, you know there is no doctrinal purity test to get into heaven. On the contrary, there is a love purity test. Matthew 7:21. The love purity test is not lip service but virtuous action.