Luke 5:17

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
17 One day Jesus was teaching, and Pharisees and teachers of the law were sitting there. They had come from every village of Galilee and from Judea and Jerusalem. And the power of the Lord was with Jesus to heal the sick.

Zounds! Never noticed this. Don’t know what to make of it…
I would have thought the power of the Lord to heal the sick was always with Jesus…though He could not heal where there was no trust/faith.

Did even Jesus sometimes walk in the Spirit and sometimes not…? If so, I have a friend who might be rethinking some things…

Last edited:

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter said about Jesus in a discourse:

Acts 10:37 YOU know the subject that was talked about throughout the whole of Ju·deʹa, starting from Galʹi·lee after the baptism that John preached, 38 namely, Jesus who was from Nazʹa·reth, how God anointed him with holy spirit and power, and he went through the land doing good and healing all those oppressed by the Devil; because God was with him. 39 And we are witnesses of all the things he did both in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem; but they also did away with him by hanging him on a stake. 40 God raised this One up on the third day and granted him to become manifest, 41 not to all the people, but to witnesses appointed beforehand by God, to us, who ate and drank with him after his rising from the dead. 42 Also, he ordered us to preach to the people and to give a thorough witness that this is the One decreed by God to be judge of the living and the dead. 43 To him all the prophets bear witness, that everyone putting faith in him gets forgiveness of sins through his name.”

Jesus was a human. He only could do things that the spirit of God in him empowered him to do. He received that spirit (and power with it) from above.

Reactions: Mr E

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
17 One day Jesus was teaching, and Pharisees and teachers of the law were sitting there. They had come from every village of Galilee and from Judea and Jerusalem. And the power of the Lord was with Jesus to heal the sick.
You have quoted some paraphrase. The actual words are thus: And it came to pass on a certain day, as he was teaching, that there were Pharisees and doctors of the law sitting by, which were come out of every town of Galilee, and Judaea, and Jerusalem: and the power of the Lord was present to heal them. As you can see "with Jesus" was added in your quote and "present" is in italics. So the text reads "and the power of the Lord was to heal them".

Wherever Jesus went, the power of the Lord was ALWAYS present. And because Christ was with him and in him, even Peter's shadow had healing power.

Reactions: pompadour

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NLT
17 One day while Jesus was teaching, some Pharisees and teachers of religious law were sitting nearby. (It seemed that these men showed up from every village in all Galilee and Judea, as well as from Jerusalem.) And the Lord’s healing power was strongly with Jesus.

NIV

NASB
17 [a]One day He was teaching, and there were some Pharisees and teachers of the Law sitting there who had come from every village of Galilee and Judea, and from Jerusalem; and the power of the Lord was present for Him to perform healing.

KJV
17 And it came to pass on a certain day, as he was teaching, that there were Pharisees and doctors of the law sitting by, which were come out of every town of Galilee, and Judaea, and Jerusalem: and the power of the Lord was present to heal them.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Methuselah were alive in the US today, the Social Security Administration would be hiring a hitman.
lol

Reactions: pompadour

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I would have thought the power of the Lord to heal the sick was always with Jesus…though He could not heal where there was no trust/faith.

Did even Jesus sometimes walk in the Spirit and sometimes not…? If so, I have a friend who might be rethinking some things…
You might find this interesting as well Gracie, I did when I first read it: (Acts 2:33) . . .he was exalted to the right hand of God and received the promised holy spirit from the Father. . .
It wasn't until after he returned to heaven that he was given full use of the holy spirit. Interesting huh?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why would you want to cast doubt on Christ Jesus' Divinity? Of course He ALWAYS had the Power to heal. Are you trying... to make Jesus of Nazareth into just a human like us with NO DIVINE PRESENCE? You would fail in doing that of course, because God's written Word declares Jesus AS GOD. That's what the meaning of His name "Immanuel" means, 'God with us' (Matthew 1:23).

-Phil

Nov 22, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus wouldn’t even know what ‘sick people‘ are.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(...)
It wasn't until after he returned to heaven that he was given full use of the holy spirit. Interesting huh?
Yes, it is very interesting, since when he was on earth he was annointed (at the time of his baptism _ Mat. 3.16,17; Luke 4:17-21), and the rest is as you say ... which shows that the holy spirit is not a person as many think, or otherwise, how is it explained that this "person" was already with him even after he was resurrected and before he ascended to heaven, and then there he has to receive it again from the Father?

John 20:22 And after he said this he blew upon them and said to them: “Receive holy spirit. ..."

Luke 24:49 "And, look! I am sending forth upon YOU that which is promised by my Father. YOU, though, abide in the city until YOU become clothed with power from on high.”

Acts 1:4 While he was meeting with them, he ordered them: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but keep waiting for what the Father has promised, about which you heard from me ..."
... 2:4 and they all became filled with holy spirit and started to speak in different languages, just as the spirit enabled them to speak.

As can be seen, his disciples had to wait to receive holy spirit from heaven, which occurred on the feast of Pentecost, on Sivan 6, 50 days after the resurrection of Jesus. If the holy spirit were a person, did "he" go to heaven with Jesus, and then came back because of a request that Jesus made to God?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it is very interesting, since when he was on earth he was annointed (at the time of his baptism _ Mat. 3.16,17; Luke 4:17-21), and the rest is as you say ... which shows that the holy spirit is not a person as many think, or otherwise, how is it explained that this "person" was already with him even after he was resurrected and before he ascended to heaven, and then there he has to receive it again from the Father?

John 20:22 And after he said this he blew upon them and said to them: “Receive holy spirit. ..."

Luke 24:49 "And, look! I am sending forth upon YOU that which is promised by my Father. YOU, though, abide in the city until YOU become clothed with power from on high.”

Acts 1:4 While he was meeting with them, he ordered them: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but keep waiting for what the Father has promised, about which you heard from me ..."
... 2:4 and they all became filled with holy spirit and started to speak in different languages, just as the spirit enabled them to speak.

As can be seen, his disciples had to wait to receive holy spirit from heaven, which occurred on the feast of Pentecost, on Sivan 6, 50 days after the resurrection of Jesus. If the holy spirit were a person, did "he" go to heaven with Jesus, and then came back because of a request that Jesus made to God?
That's just more doubt from the flesh as to Who Lord Jesus Christ is.

Jesus Christ existed... prior to His being born through Mary's womb. The Old Testament shows much about His contact with the Patriarchs. In Hebrews 7, Apostle Paul declared Jesus as the Melchizedek that met Abraham and offered Abraham "bread and wine".

Jesus Christ has always... been The KING, even before He was born in the flesh through woman. The Isaiah 9:6 Scripture declares Jesus as "The almighty God", and "The everlasting Father".

Isa 9:6-7
6 For unto us
a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end,
upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
KJV

Didn't the unbelieving JEWS read that Isaiah 9 Scripture? What is their EXCUSE for NOT reading and believing that prophecy about Jesus of Nazareth as The Christ?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would you want to cast doubt on Christ Jesus' Divinity?
I haven’t. He emptied Himself and left the glory He shared with God to be born in a human body in order to have me. While He was in that weak and limited human body, He had to completely depend on God, who is Spirit. Can He not choose to do that to have us?

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven’t. He emptied Himself and left the glory He shared with God to be born in a human body in order to have me. While He was in that weak and limited human body, He had to completely depend on God, who is Spirit. Can He not choose to do that to have us?
He could, but he accomplished his mission.

The Devil tried to make him fall, but he couldn't get away with it. Jesus was very well prepared with his knowledge of God's Word (which is sacred to him _ John 17:17) so he knew how to respond. The Bible says the following about the times when Jesus lived in the flesh:

Heb. 5:7 In the days of his flesh [Christ] offered up supplications and also petitions to the One who was able to save him out of death, with strong outcries and tears, and he was favorably heard for his godly fear. 8 Although he was a Son, he learned obedience from the things he suffered; 9 and after he had been made perfect he became responsible for everlasting salvation to all those obeying him, 10 because he has been specifically called by God a high priest according to the manner of Melchizedek.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus never stopped being The Christ even while in a flesh body. Those preachers pushing that lie don't know their Bible, nor what they are talking about. We are living in a time today when Satan's workers are let loose in the Churches, so if the congregation doesn't know enough of their Bible for theirself, then they are apt to fall away from God's Truth.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s okay. You at least see He is God. :)
I have NO DOUBT that Jesus of Nazareth is GOD The Son, from everlasting.

When many brethren are busy asking themselves if Jesus of Nazareth is God, because of doubting Jews, they ought to instead be asking why the unbelieving Jews doubt their own possession of The Word of God.

That because, Isaiah 7 and Isaiah 9:6 shows that the Son born of a virgin would be "Immanuel", God with us, also as 'The Mighty God, and The Everlasting Father'. Why didn't the unbelieving Jews believe that as written?

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believers need to be aware of the man-Jesus, who he really was while being a human, what was his mission, how he acomplished it, what was his status and real condition, what was his relationship with God ... False ideas (included some traditionals originated in the Roman Catholic Church) can mislead believers.

For example: the Samaritan woman with whom Jesus spoke did not consider him to be GOD Himself when he discovered part of his sexual life. Notice:

John 4:16 He said to her: “Go, call your husband and come to this place.” 17 The woman replied: “I do not have a husband.” Jesus said to her: “You are right in saying, ‘I do not have a husband.’ 18 For you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. This you have said truthfully.” 19 The woman said to him: “Sir, I see that you are a prophet. "

Later in the conversation, she told him: “I know that Mes·siʹah is coming, who is called Christ. Whenever that one comes, he will declare all things to us openly.” (v. 25) and he replied “I am he, the one speaking to you.” (v. 26).

Later she went to tell a group of Samaritan men to see this man and the things he said. She told them: “Come and see a man who told me everything I did. Could this not perhaps be the Christ?” (v. 29).

So, they came to him, and finally, after listened to him, they said to the woman: “We no longer believe just because of what you said; for we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the savior of the world.” (v. 42).

Did anyone who was present at this event, or found out what happened, believe that Jesus was anything else than a prophet, the Messiah, the Christ, the human savior they were waiting for?

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus explained that He did and said only what the Father told Him. Therefore, Jesus was getting constant instructions from His Father in heaven.

Now then, when the Lord our God tells us to go and do something, does He not also provide the power to do it also? He at least does according to His desires!

So Jesus while Jesus was teaching, He was hearing the words from His Father to teach. and when it was time to heal He got the power to heal. Do we not know that all things come down from the Father?

James 1:17 Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.

And do we not know that they are given to Jesus Christ His Son?

Jn 13:3 Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come forth from God and was going back to God,

And that to glorify the Son with whom we can and need to get to know.

We should know Jesus Christ! Of course, it also takes time to develop that relationship and understanding. So it is nice to read about someone noticing the power of the Lord Jesus Christ to heal. And starting to realize that it all comes from His Father who gave it to Him. Still, we should understand that the Father gave Him all things and that our Lord Jesus Christ still do this day does and says only what the Father tells Him, even though He is the King of kings and Lord of lords.

It is not like some seem to think, that Jesus was at that time fully human so He had to get the Holy Spirit at times! That is wrong! He was always One with the Father and the Holy Spirit, so even before, during, and after Him coming in the flesh! He was always the King over the Kingdom of God, because the Father declared that to Him at the time He was begotten. Yet what we are missing is that He was always perfectly obedient to the Father, doing and saying only what He was told. Not like us rebellious people who are only reckon to be righteous because we believe in the Son and not because we are perfect by doing and saying only what He tells us.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mmm…that discussion isn’t allowed here. Has to be discussed in non Christian rooms. I’m not going to respond and have it go where they’ve said not to go.
edit: that was in response to post #16

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's more for the believing Christian to encounter about the history of Lord Jesus Christ.

In Hebrews 7, Apostle Paul showed that Jesus is Who he was pointing to as the Melchisedec of The Old Testament.

Melchizedek (means "king of Salem" per Genesis 14), met Abraham and blessed him, and offered Abraham "bread and wine". Those are sacraments of The New Covenant, by the way. Paul in Galatians 3 taught that those of Faith are the children of Abraham. It's because Abraham was first to be preached The Gospel to, and he believed, and God counted his Faith as righteousness. So The Gospel of Jesus Christ was actually always revealed to the Old Testament Patriarchs first. They just didn't get to live to see Jesus' sacrifice on His cross and resurrection.

Hebrews says Melchizedek was the Priest of The Most High God. Jesus Christ is OUR High Priest and Mediator to The Father for us (Hebrews 2:17).

Jesus' Title now is "Prince of Peace", so how does that change from "King of Peace" (i.e., 'king of Salem'), how does that work? In the time before Jesus was born through woman's womb, He was our King that Israel rejected, but Israel wanted flesh kings instead, like the pagan nations around them. For this reason, Jesus is also High Priest forever after the Order of Melchizedek.

And when Lord Jesus Christ returns in the world to come, He will be our rightful KING again.