• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Are there more, or less, today?

Nearly 2000 years ago, these warnings were given.
Matthew 24:11 (English Standard Version)
11 And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray.

Acts 20:29-30 (English Standard Version)
29 I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; 30 and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them.

1 Timothy 4:1 (English Standard Version)
1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,

2 Timothy 4:3, 4 (English Standard Version)
3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, 4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.

2 Peter 2:1-3 (English Standard Version)
1 But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. 2 And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed. 3 And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.

Do you think there are more false prophets and false disciples today, than say a decade after the apostles died? What estimate would you give, if any?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

29 I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; 30 and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them.

1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,

3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, 4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.

1 But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. 2 And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed. 3 And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.

Do you think there are more false prophets and false disciples today, than say a decade after the apostles died? What estimate would you give, if any?

Of course there are.
All Protestants give false teachings and there weren't any 10 years after Jesus died.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi John welcome to the forum sir. You are spot on, perhaps even moreso than you realize. There are of course only one faith of Christians that are of the original faith of the new covenant. Yet there are thousands of "Christian sects". Yes sir, false religion is rampant, and much more prevalent now than in the first century.

Great post sir!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello TDJ,

Welcome to the forum, you know from what

I’ve seen in my lifetime before becoming a Christian was when the world scare of 2000 hit.

Everyone thought it was going to be end of the world, however earth continued to go onward.

Also from my understanding is that sometimes there are people out there who starts up a cult, then many bad things happen in there.

So are there people out there who may be teaching that may not line up to the truth, especially the truth of the Holy Spirit, even studying scriptures?

Yes, why wouldn’t there be?

It is just confusing and muddled information if none of it is true.

God leads us to have understanding for He is not a God of confusion.

Love to you in Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

There are more people on earth today, then in Paul's day. = more teaching = falsely.

Also, the closer to the Great Trib, the more you will have this...>"the great falling away".

What is that?
Its a SURGE in the last days before the Trib, of people, preachers, teachers, and cults, that are trying to HIDE the CROSS by replacing it with WATER BAPTISM.... Commandment keeping, works, Law......LEGALISM.

Also, this "falling away", means that there was something that was believed, but has been fallen away from..........to something else.
And once again, this is the "church", falling away from The Grace of God as Paul taught it, and into "self saving" Legalism.

Its an odd thing for me to talk to a group of believers, on forums, off, whatever, and they say....>" that message seems unique, haven't heard that".

And what is the message?

= The Cross. Eternal Life. "you must be born again"..... "God who saves you, keeps you saved". "Christ became your sin and you became His Righteousness".

This simple Pauline Theology, is very rare to hear now, in these days just before the Grt Trb starts.

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Of course there are.
All Protestants give false teachings and there weren't any 10 years after Jesus died.
"All Protestants"?
Thanks, but what do you mean by Protestants and can you give the basis for your answer? Thanks.

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Hi John welcome to the forum sir. You are spot on, perhaps even moreso than you realize. There are of course only one faith of Christians that are of the original faith of the new covenant. Yet there are thousands of "Christian sects". Yes sir, false religion is rampant, and much more prevalent now than in the first century.

Great post sir!
Hey. Thanks Robert.
Thanks for giving an estimation. I was especially hoping to get that.
So you are saying that from the time this turning away began, in the late first century, which John witnesses... not this John :D
1 John 2:18 Children, it is the last hour, and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come. Therefore we know that it is the last hour.
1 John 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.
2 John 7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist.

...by this time nearly 2000 years, there would be millions... or billions false?
I have to go by the scriptures, and say, there are indeed myriad of false prophets and false teachers, and that would mean tens of thousands of false teachings.

What you say here, not only makes sense, but agrees with the scripture.
If we look at it realistically, every tree has branches, so since many false teachers went out into the world, there are many branches of those false teachers, and they would produce bad fruit. Matthew 7:15-20
John said it is the last hour, so this time must be the last minute, and the false teachers would be numerous.

So this leads me to ask, why do many believe that 2.5 billion professing Christians are not those false teachers and anti-Christs the apostles forewarned of?

Last edited:

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Hello TDJ,

Welcome to the forum, you know from what

I’ve seen in my lifetime before becoming a Christian was when the world scare of 2000 hit.

Everyone thought it was going to be end of the world, however earth continued to go onward.

Also from my understanding is that sometimes there are people out there who starts up a cult, then many bad things happen in there.

So are there people out there who may be teaching that may not line up to the truth, especially the truth of the Holy Spirit, even studying scriptures?

Yes, why wouldn’t there be?

It is just confusing and muddled information if none of it is true.

God leads us to have understanding for He is not a God of confusion.

Love to you in Christ,
Matthew Gallagher
Hi Matthew. Thanks for the welcome. :)
Yes. I think you agree there are - not may be. Right? Since as you said, what's written must be true.
We are seeing it, just as you said, God reveals it.
So do you think the thousands of confusing doctrines between the various religions of Christianity, are all true, or would false teachings be the reason for the confusion?
What do you think?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Very definitely. We are now in the time of the Great Apostasy. So all Christians need to be well-grounded in the truth, and be prepared to ignore all the false prophets. God will deal with the false disciples.

Reactions: TLHKAJ and marks

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Of course there are. All Protestants give false teachings and there weren't any 10 years after Jesus died.
This is hilarious, since it was the Catholic church which adopted a whole ton of false teachings and practices. The Babylonian system was incorporated into Christianity to make a mishmash of False Christianity. And now the pope wants to make a mishmash of Christianity and Islam. It is significant that Catholics, Hindus, Muslims, and Buddhists all love to chant the rosary (or its equivalent).

Reactions: TLHKAJ

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Very definitely. We are now in the time of the Great Apostasy. So all Christians need to be well-grounded in the truth, and be prepared to ignore all the false prophets. God will deal with the false disciples.
I agree.
Only, I think prepared is not correct, since the apostasy is nearly 2000 years past. ;)
If we are to be prepared, we're late. :D
I know what you meant though... lazy script. ;)

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey. Thanks Robert.
Thanks for giving an estimation. I was especially hoping to get that.
So you are saying that from the time this turning away began, in the late first century, which John witnesses... not this John :D
1 John 2:18 Children, it is the last hour, and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come. Therefore we know that it is the last hour.
1 John 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.
2 John 7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist.

...by this time nearly 2000 years, there would be millions... or billions false?
I have to go by the scriptures, and say, there are indeed myriad of false prophets and false teachers, and that would mean tens of thousands of false teachings.

What you say here, not only makes sense, but agrees with the scripture.
If we look at it realistically, every tree has branches, so since many false teachers went out into the world, there are many branches of those false teachers, and they would produce bad fruit. Matthew 7:15-20
John said it is the last hour, so this time must be the last minute, and the false teachers would be numerous.

So this leads me to ask, why do many believe that 2.5 billion professing Christians are not those false teachers and anti-Christs the apostles forewarned of?

There are some reasons listed in the Bible John, first and foremost is 2 Cor 4:4, but even in that satan has no real power over those who truly are seeking God in truth. It boils down to the heart sir. If you get to know some whom you recognize that have a form of Godly devotion, but prove false to it's power, you can usually spot the reason why they are that way.

God has always had one group of people He deals with, that He calls His own. There can be no divisions in the faith, and He identifies the faith in His word the Bible. Likely you believe that. So all one has to do is learn who God's people is and go with them Zech 8:23

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
He may be referring to all the protesting Rowan Catholics.
All who do not agree with the Roman Catholic?
How could they be the ones who are false teachers, when they spoke out against things the Roman Catholic teach, which are not Biblical?

For example, Luther ... argued that something one did, such as making a vow or becoming celibate, could not add to ones holiness (1522). Later, he condemned celibacy as the creation of canon law, itself the work of the devil (1530) and held that for fallen men, burning with passion, marriage was a necessity if they were to avoid sin (his understanding of 1 Cor 7:9). Luther himself married in June 1525 and died the father of a large family. His position on celibacy was, in broad outline, that of the other Protestant reformers. For example, Calvin held that some are called by God to celibacy, but that it should not be prescribed by law and nor be considered a more spiritual, nor higher, vocation than marriage. Significantly, his is the best historical scholarship of the period. Commenting on references to marriage in scripture, he recognised that Jerome’s position could not be sustained with its extremely corrupt view of sexuality, and was not one shared by the New Testament. He further recognised that it was Jerome’s hang-ups about sex and virginity, rather than scripture, that influenced law and theology text books. Jerome was to be used with caution, and this came from Calvin who on other matters of interpretation and linguistics considered Jerome a hero.

Luther was actually in agreement with scripture, on that point.
1 Timothy 4:1-3
1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, 2 through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared, 3 who forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.

That's clear for every reader to see, isn't it.
Do you see it also, or is there something wrong with my eyes?
Please tell me it's the former. I don't want to have to go to the doctor. It costs much, just to get one's eyes checked. ...and the cost of glasses... :eek:
Or am I missing something...

@Mungo can you please clarify...
Since we all see it clearly writen in the scriptures, that it is the ones who fall away from the faith - apostates, who would teach lies, such as 'a rule of celibacy', would that not lead persons to conclude that the Roman Catholic Church a primary instrument of the Devil, to promote false teachings? Would that not be a correct conclusion?

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
There are some reasons listed in the Bible John, first and foremost is 2 Cor 4:4, but even in that satan has no real power over those who truly are seeking God in truth. It boils down to the heart sir. If you get to know some whom you recognize that have a form of Godly devotion, but prove false to it's power, you can usually spot the reason why they are that way.

God has always had one group of people He deals with, that He calls His own. There can be no divisions in the faith, and He identifies the faith in His word the Bible. Likely you believe that. So all one has to do is learn who God's people is and go with them Zech 8:23
Did you read my mind?
We speak in agreement. :)

Reactions: Robert Gwin

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you read my mind?
We speak in agreement. :)

Thanks John, I think at this time it is appropriate to let you know that I am disfellowshipped, for apostasy no less. I do my utmost to live up to my dedication, and will continue to do so as Jesus did when they disfellowshipped him. I am a sinner whereas Jesus was not, but one thing is for certain, I am no apostate. I do my utmost to conduct myself honestly in all things sir, so I want to make sure you were aware of this. If you want to speak to me about it send me a post through the inbox.