Mark 16:9-20

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the strong number root word for this Hebrew word?
The post just caught my interest, started looking and saw the word declare, noticed it doesn’t always mean verbally. Used a lot in the psalms.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no idea what that means?
I’m not a scholar.

I think he was asking for the # in the Strong's Concordance that lines up with the Hebrew root of the word that you defined, if you got your definition from the Strong's Concordance.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have faith, VictoryinJesus, God will not have anyone be ignorant of the truth of His Word...that is why He gave us the Holy Spirit.....
1 John 2:27
Study Bible
Continue in Him
…26I have written these things to you about those who are trying to deceive you. 27And as for you, the anointing you received from Him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But just as His TRUE and genuine anointing teaches you about all things, so remain in Him as you have been taught. 28And now, little children, remain in Him, so that when He appears, we may be confident and unashamed before Him at His coming.
Cross References
Proverbs 28:5
Evil men do not understand justice, but those who seek the LORD comprehend fully.

Jeremiah 31:34
No longer will each man teach his neighbor or his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' because they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the LORD. For I will forgive their iniquities and will remember their sins no more."

Matthew 13:11
He replied, "The knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them.

John 6:45
It is written in the Prophets: 'And they will all be taught by God.' Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from Him comes to Me--

John 14:16
And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate to be with you forever--

John 14:17
the Spirit of truth. The world cannot receive Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you do know Him, for He abides with you and will be in you.

John 14:26
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have told you.

1 Corinthians 2:12
We have not received the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us.

2 Corinthians 1:21
Now it is God who establishes both us and you in Christ. He anointed us,

1 Thessalonians 4:9
Now about brotherly love, you do not need anyone to write to you, because you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another.

Hebrews 8:11
No longer will each one teach his neighbor or his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' because they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest.

1 John 2:20
You, however, have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth.

His Word assures us that He is the one teaching and guiding us into the knowledge of His Truth.....I always pray and ask the Holy Spirit to open my understanding to the scriptures before I ever begin reading them.

It is hard to explain why this was so alarming to me. first, I’m wondering how I had not known of it until now when it seems others were well aware of it. Second, it felt like an attack on the guidance of the Spirit. There are always those verses that speak to you personally at certains times of your life. And then to have someone come against those...I don’t know it just caused me to take a step back. Thank you for the encouragement.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is hard to explain why this was so alarming to me. first, I’m wondering how I had not known of it until now when it seems others were well aware of it. Second, it felt like an attack on the guidance of the Spirit. There are always those verses that speak to you personally at certains times of your life. And then to have someone come against those...I don’t know it just caused me to take a step back. Thank you for the encouragement.
Welcome to growing in the spirit!...lol....I always found myself in a "dry wilderness" (so to speak) right before being advanced to the next level of spiritual growth.
The very fact that you recognized something had changed in you tells me that you are able to judge yourself honestly and openly. This is a great quality to have and it certainly foils the devils hopes of keeping you blind and bound to what is in your own heart.
Psalm 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O Lord, and renew a right spirit within me.
This is what David sought God to do in him....he saw his heart wasnt right and his spirit was dry and wanting.

So in thinking you are missing what others have already seen is just a lie from Satan....you are seeing what you need to see as God is ready to show you.

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Let me try agai

Hebrew: ספר
Transliteration: sâphar
Pronunciation: saw-far'
Definition: A primitive root; properly to scorewith a mark as a tally or {record} that {is} (by implication) to {inscribe} and also to enumerate; intensively to {recount} that {is} celebrate: - {commune} (ac-) {count} {declare} {number} + {penknife} {reckon} {scribe} shew {forth} {speak} {talk} tell ({out}) writer.

Sorry , if I was wanting to look up this Hebrew word that you have given the above meaning for, where would I look for it? What is its Strong Number? Or what verse in the OT would I find this word used?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thanks H:5608 helps me to search for the occurrences of this Hebrew Root Word.

There are 161 times where this Hebrew Root Word is found embedded in 58 Hebrew words according to the BibleHub web site. It is found embedded in one Hebrew word 37 time in the scriptures where it has been translated by the English word "scribe". There are other Hebrew words derived from this same Hebrew Root Word where it is also translated into English with the word "scribe".

King David certainly recorded his story so as to remember and to tell of his experiences of God in His life, to be an encouragement to him and to others.

It is also good for us to remember and to tell of our experiences of God being active within our lives to encourage ourselves and others in our/their walk with God.

How you personally go about recording your story and your experiences and the retelling of those stories is up to you, but unless you actively store those memories, they will fade into our past and be forgotten. The retelling of your experiences is one way to record your memories. Another way is to write them down so that you can go back and reread them later.

When we are feeling down it is good to reflect on our story of God in our life and how he has helped us through all that we have endured.

Shalom

Reactions: Waiting on him

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is no denying that lately my faith seems fragile. Last night as I was speaking with my husband about my struggles he mentioned how David would mark a wall for all the times God would speak to him or lift him up when David fell on his face. I wasn’t familiar with those passages. Immediately I went to search for this of David because there was comfort in the thought that I’m not the only one who struggles and needs reminding. I never did find the passage concerning David, but by putting in a collection of words including ‘Mark’...the fragility of my faith deeped.

According to some articles that came up in google search (Mark 16:9-20) is not in the original text: “...And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. [16] He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. [17] And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; [18] They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. [19] So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. [20] And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them , and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.”

Apparently there are at least four alternate endings to Mark and the most favoured long version being added by scholars later. Man favoured this new ending so much it caught on quickly and is the one most use today. (According to other sources)This was disturbing when I’m already struggling. There are scholars here, that know far more than I ever could about the original manuscript. Another verse said to be added later Is Luke 9:55-56 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. [56] For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them . And they went to another village.

Two very important(critical) passages we debate over constantly...? Does anyone have understanding of the original script and how these fit? Are they there?
What I do know ViJ is that popular theology is enticing. Incrementally it brought me to a point at one juncture of my journey where the only logical conclusion it appeared was to either lose my faith as it had been established or continue in faltering quick talking pooh hooing of any view that took the scriptures seriously. Incrementally I say, because it started off as not giving the book of John credibility because in it Jesus was too egotistical. I could see the point and the seed of doubt was sown. It continued with the scriptures being broken down bit by bit over a period of time.

All this new 'insight' did nothing for my inner peace. It seemed the more it drew me in the emptier I became.

It was only my cry to God to save me (whatever that meant) just like Peter when his faith failed while walking on the water that God wrenched me out of that morass.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We fight not against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers in high places. How do I deal with it? I ask for protection for guidance and wisdom constantly with gratitude.

Reactions: Enoch111

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no denying that lately my faith seems fragile. Last night as I was speaking with my husband about my struggles he mentioned how David would mark a wall for all the times God would speak to him or lift him up when David fell on his face. I wasn’t familiar with those passages. Immediately I went to search for this of David because there was comfort in the thought that I’m not the only one who struggles and needs reminding. I never did find the passage concerning David, but by putting in a collection of words including ‘Mark’...the fragility of my faith deeped.

According to some articles that came up in google search (Mark 16:9-20) is not in the original text: “...And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. [16] He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. [17] And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; [18] They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. [19] So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. [20] And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them , and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.”

Apparently there are at least four alternate endings to Mark and the most favoured long version being added by scholars later. Man favoured this new ending so much it caught on quickly and is the one most use today. (According to other sources)This was disturbing when I’m already struggling. There are scholars here, that know far more than I ever could about the original manuscript. Another verse said to be added later Is Luke 9:55-56 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. [56] For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them . And they went to another village.

Two very important(critical) passages we debate over constantly...? Does anyone have understanding of the original script and how these fit? Are they there?
"Not in the original text" is the most controversial statement that can be made about the NT.

WHICH "ORIGINAL TEXT" IS THE ORIGINAL???

The verdict is in: The "Textus Receptus" Greek NT MSS is by far the most trustworthy MSS. It is the basis for EVERY SINGLE Protestant NT that came into existence before the closing of the 19th century -- after which the "new versions" began springing up which are all based on what is dubiously regarded by "semetarians" and their blind guides as the "better manuscripts" Critical Text MSS, which is so fraught with questions about it's discovery, production methodology, exposed papal intrigue, etc. that God fearing men have shown why that MSS is hardly worthy of outhouse duty, much less a reliable source for the Word of God.

Therefore, any translation based on the Textus Receptus - the most popular English translation of which being the KJV - provides the accurate account in the Gospel of Mark.

Last edited:
Reactions: Enoch111

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have no idea what that means?
I’m not a scholar.
"Strong's" is a Bible dictionary based on the KJV. It gives you the Greek and Hebrew words and lists the ways in which the KJV translates them. It isn't used by real scholars, but is very popular with amateur Bible linguists.
"Root words" are sometimes helpful in teasing out a word's basic meaning, but other times they lead you up the garden path. This is because word meanings drift over time, and often end up miles away from their 'roots' (for example, the English word 'understand' has nothing to do with 'standing' anywhere!)

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Strong's" is a Bible dictionary based on the KJV. It gives you the Greek and Hebrew words and lists the ways in which the KJV translates them. It isn't used by real scholars, but is very popular with amateur Bible linguists.
"Root words" are sometimes helpful in teasing out a word's basic meaning, but other times they lead you up the garden path. This is because word meanings drift over time, and often end up miles away from their 'roots' (for example, the English word 'understand' has nothing to do with 'standing' anywhere!)
I don’t mind Satan reminding me of my being insignificant, I just hate it when he manipulates a sister to do it.

Last edited:

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
Heart2Soul,
re: "For readability sake, I quoted the Mark verses in bold, and below I explain how I feel those statements were backed up elsewhere in scripture.

Actually, verse 9 - as it is translated in the KJV and similar versions - is the only place in scripture which places the resurrection on the first day of the week.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, verse 9 - as it is translated in the KJV and similar versions - is the only place in scripture which places the resurrection on the first day of the week.

Thank you. Hadn’t noticed...Mark 16:9
[9] Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It isn't used by real scholars, but is very popular with amateur Bible linguists.
And yet Thayer's Greek Lexicon invariably refers to Strong's words. Your allegations against Strong's Concordance are false and undermine a very useful and excellent concordance. Bible Hub invariably uses Strong's for the meanings of words. I'm amazed as to why any Christian would attack Strong's Concordance.

Reactions: justbyfaith

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Hello VictoryinJesus,

In a forum situation, where debate takes place, issues are raised which can be unsettling, especially when strongly held opposing opinion clash. Into my mind comes Romans 14:1. 'Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.' Not that I am suggesting that you are 'weak' in faith by any means.

'But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse,
deceiving, and being deceived.

But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned
and hast been assured of,

knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures,
which are able to make thee wise unto salvation
through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
All scripture is given by inspiration of God,
and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction,
for instruction in righteousness:
That the man of God may be perfect,
throughly furnished unto all good works.'

(2 Timothy 3:13-17)

* Timothy had the great advantage of being taught by the Apostle Paul, he could be assured that the things that he had 'learned' under his ministry were true. As for us, we need to bring all that we hear from the pulpit, or read in Biblical literature to the Scriptures for confirmation.

* As for all of these assertions concerning the Word of God, we have the words of Psalm 12:6,7 to reassure us:-

'The words of the LORD are pure words:
as silver tried in a furnace of earth,
purified seven times.
Thou shalt keep them, O LORD,
Thou shalt preserve them
from this generation
for ever.'

* So, we can trust in the Lord with all our hearts and lean not unto our own understanding, in all our ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct our paths.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And yet Thayer's Greek Lexicon invariably refers to Strong's words. Your allegations against Strong's Concordance are false and undermine a very useful and excellent concordance. Bible Hub invariably uses Strong's for the meanings of words. I'm amazed as to why any Christian would attack Strong's Concordance.

I'm not "attacking" it - merely pointing out its limitations. Being tied to the KJV is one of them - it's much less useful for those of us who use other Bible versions. There's no denying that the Strong's numbers are useful for reference (especially in Hebrew, where it can be difficult to identify a word), but scholars would use a proper lexicon to look up word meanings and definitions.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Don't know about David writing his struggles on a wall.

There is a saying of men:
"the handwriting is on the wall".

What that means is;
What is recorded is the fate a man should obviously know.

That appears to have been taken from the Scripture .... Daniel Chapter 5....

When a hand appeared and wrote the fate of king Belshazzar on the wall, and the king's fate came to pass.

In short; "the writing on the wall", is a sign of an unfavorable fate.

In depth; A man whose name is recorded (written) in the Lambs Book of Life, is never blotted out, and the man whose name is so written, belongs to, is sealed unto, the Lord God, FOREVER.

IF, that applies to you, it is applicable FOREVER.

That does not mean, you will not have "struggles, hardships, questions, etc." during your natural life-time on earth.

What it does mean, IS forever you have the Truth, the Life, the Power, the Comforter, of thee Lord God Almighty with you Forever.

God Bless,
Taken

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Jo 2:20, But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
1Jo 2:21, I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.