Marriage Is Not For Everybody

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the vows must be made before witnesses and God’s authorized minister

don’t like the state being involved with out the influence of holy church

the state requires holy religion to be moral and just

and if the state grants marriage it also grants divorce and that’s immoral and unjust

I believe it is the *vow* that makes the marriage. It can take place on an island without a State Govt, or in a large country with a very bureaucratic State Govt.

We used to have Christian States, ie govts. that held to Christian values. Today the West has apostacized away from Christian exclusivity, tolerating other religions as legal "equals."

So here in my country, the U.S., there are laws to legally sanction and protect marriage, but no requirement that people forgo living together and consider themselves "married" before God. They simply may lack some govt. protections, which come with a legally-sanctioned marriage.

It is really a "conscience" issue. If you feel you need to have a legally-protected marriage and sanctioned by the State, have a legal ceremony. Visit your local county office and meet with a judge. Or, you can have a Christian wedding, presided over by someone the State recognizes.

But if you don't care what others think, you could, conceivably, just live together with a spouse connected by mutual vows before God. God will recognize it.

It's just a questionable thing to do in a society in which many would suspect this as "hanky panky." What kind of Christian "witness" would this be? But I'm not going to be the one to judge motives!

Reactions: Wynona

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What, there are tons of bible verses that talk "wife" and "marriage". For instance:
1 Corinthians 7:9
“But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.”

I am not sure what you are getting at.
Marriage is a good thing. Two thumbs up!!! The question is; What do you do to get married? What forms a marriage. The answer is the sexual union, as God defined.
That is how people formed marriages in the Bible....and even today....weddings are a wonderful celebration and they are a Christian custom...but...the marriage is formed though the sexual union, that occurs before the wedding or after the wedding.

Reactions: April_Rose

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marriage is a good thing. Two thumbs up!!! The question is; What do you do to get married? What forms a marriage. The answer is the sexual union, as God defined.
That is how people formed marriages in the Bible....and even today....weddings are a wonderful celebration and they are a Christian custom...but...the marriage is formed though the sexual union, that occurs before the wedding or after the wedding.
If sex forms a union then why do they burn in hell when they don't get married before having sex?

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, but without the promise, it's just sex! ;)

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If sex forms a union then why do they burn in hell when they don't get married before having sex?

Well considering the fact that fornication isn't the unforgiveable sin, I assume that you meant that if they never come to Christ they will burn in Hell if they have pre-marital sex.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's what I was just reading in the Bible. However, is marriage defined as an actual ceremony, or when two people have intercourse?
Ceremony. It doesn't need to be elaborate at all, but there does need to be an actual visual commitment between the folks involved.

The Bible has MANY accounts of people whom aren't married having sex: both general consensual type and non-consensual type.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ceremony. It doesn't need to be elaborate at all, but there does need to be an actual visual commitment between the folks involved.

The Bible has MANY accounts of people whom aren't married having sex: both general consensual type and non-consensual type.

we’re Adam and Eve married?

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we’re Adam and Eve married?

That's my argument and a lot of other people's as well. Normally I wouldn't condone sinning even if you're saved and you'll be forgiven for it later,.. but actually I'm still not because I don't see it as a sin as long as you're committed and not sleeping with everybody in town and having one-night stands.

Reactions: Grailhunter

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really? What kind of wedding cake do you think they had? :rolleyes:
I didn't say the cake made a person married. Rather, stating the importance of visual stated commitment between the adults involved.

If sex made a person married, then every rape victim even today is then married their attacked. I don't remotely to believe that to be God's will.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't say the cake made a person married. Rather, stating the importance of visual stated commitment between the adults involved.

If sex made a person married, then every rape victim even today is then married their attacked. I don't remotely to believe that to be God's will.

Okay, so if there are any history buffs in this thread I have a little bit of a homework assignment for you while I'm making lunch. When was the first wedding ceremony performed?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, so if there are any history buffs in this thread I have a little bit of a homework assignment for you while I'm making lunch. When was the first wedding ceremony performed?
Pre-history. Even speaking secularly, marriage pre-dates written history across all cultures.

Again, I'm NOT talking about the cake, the dress, the aisle, etc-- those don't matter. I'm talking about commitment visually stated between adults.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, I'm NOT talking about the cake, the dress, the aisle, etc-- those don't matter. I'm talking about commitment visually stated between adults.

Okay so then what defines marriage to you then? What exactly constitutes it as that's the question.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay so then what defines marriage to you then? What exactly constitutes it as that's the question.
That commitment visually stated between adults.

(The above is speaking broadly, obviously God's definition is more specific).

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That commitment visually stated between adults.

So then you're agreeing with me on the fact that it isn't about the ceremony or certificate? Mind you I'm not saying that two people are sexually active shouldn't still get married. I'm saying that as long as two people are committed to each other and love one another then I don't see any harm of having sex before the ceremony.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well considering the fact that fornication isn't the unforgiveable sin, I assume that you meant that if they never come to Christ they will burn in Hell if they have pre-marital sex.

The scripture says they should marry or burn. Just trying to reason with Grailhunter really. The point is that sex outside of marriage risks a person to hell. It's sexual immorality. I don't call myself saved until Jesus judges me and resurrects me. He'll decide that, not man. I don't let people tell me I'm saved. It's too naive for me.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If two people go out and publically visually declare their commitment to each other, then that is their ceremony :).

Oh okay,.. now I see what you're saying. I also wanted to point out that having children before the ceremony is not a good idea though. Like,.. at ALL. Use protection or wait. It's better for both you and the baby in the end.