Marriage Is Not For Everybody

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but I'm not sure where you're disagreeing with what I said? What is it I said that is making you so defensive? That I said sex without a promise is not a marriage? That's just a fact. If people engage in sexual intercourse without making marriage vows to one another, it is just indulging the flesh--nothing else.

But I said nothing against common law marriages. In fact, my argument would acknowledge them. So I'm not sure where you're coming from. Please don't make yourself into the lonely prophet who speaks the truth and no one listens. I'm perfectly willing to listen to you!
Not defensive.
Just trying to keep things straight.
I misunderstood your statements on common law marriages.
Without vows is just sex...is another thing.
Speaking of the normal course...two people in love...want to have and to hold...from this day forward...marriage is a matter of the heart...a matter of love....neither vows or paper will keep them together without love. The focus needs to be on that. Too many people focused on what others do with their crouches. The effort, the declaration of sin sin sin...LOL...buts to much guilt between two people that love one another. There memory should be filled with the love they shared, not the guilt they felt. Respect and love is the key to understand the conditions for sex.

Casual sex is what we should be concerned about. There is where sin is, and there is where danger is.

Last edited:

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I must say that marriage may not be for everybody... But patience is!

In your patience possess ye your souls. - Luke 21:19
Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy. - James 5:11

I would say that waiting on God, pursing the path before you, going through what doors are opened, will lead to a happier life than trying to fulfill short term relationship goals .

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then with your reasoning Grailhunter,

This is not my reasoning. LOL This is the Bible. Find a scripture that requires a wedding...but do not hold your breath until you find one.
a man can have sex with 7 women, and be married to all of them at once, or did he switch his one flesh?

The difference between a one night stand and a marriage is that you form a monogamous relationship.
And yes if you have sex with seven women you are whore mongering...stop that!

And man can join his own flesh with a woman. How does this miracle of joining flesh happen in your belief if God is not performing this miracle? Because sex clearly has no physical effect on two bodies other than a child.

It is not my belief, it is what God said formed a marriage. And there was never a biblical requirement for a wedding. Truth still prevails. If you think that God should have put a requirement for a wedding to be married in the Bible. Take it up with Him.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is not my reasoning. LOL This is the Bible. Find a scripture that requires a wedding...but do not hold your breath until you find one.
lol, I already quoted that scripture.

The difference between a one night stand and a marriage is that you form a monogamous relationship. And yes if you have sex with seven women you are whore mongering...stop that!
I think I get what your saying, that God will honor a male and female in a monogamous relationship having sex as one flesh? This defies the priesthood authority of God.

For instance, God set up people to officiate in the ordinances of God. This is all in the bible and if not then why mention marriage in the bible and all these people to officiate in his churches?

Ephesians 4:11-16

King James Version

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think I get what your saying, that God will honor a male and female in a monogamous relationship having sex as one flesh? This defies the priesthood authority of God.

Oh...You mean the Catholic priest? LOL
Here is it...no biblical requirement for a wedding.
The protestants were the first to require a wedding and that was in the mid 1500's
The Catholics followed suit but still the Protestants were the first.
If it is a denominational requirement...then it is up to you....but there is no sin.

For instance, God set up people to officiate in the ordinances of God. This is all in the bible and if not then why mention marriage in the bible and all these people to officiate in his churches?

Marriages are biblical...for sure...it is what it takes to be married. Lets move on to a better topic...

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So @April_Rose

Lets approach this from another angle. we have talked about this on a few threads, but no one steps up to the plate and explains why we should have weddings. Why if we are in love, why is it that we should have a wedding? If someone asks us if they should have a wedding, what are we going to tell them? I can start it out and anyone can add to it.
1. It is a Christian custom...people expect this.
2. It has been a Christian custom for so long that it is engrained in our society. The Protestant reform and the requirement for a wedding put a new focus on the family. I know history bores people.
3. There are certain legalities that are connected to wedding-marriages.
4. People see weddings as a way to commit to the marriage and add stability to the family. Everyone sees us making a commitment. Our families actually join and become extended families at weddings.
5. Our parents and grand-parents would like to see us have a wedding.
6. Our children should have parents that are married....I hate the phrase "my baby daddy" Children take on the father's name.
7. A marriage is one of those moments in life that we should have fond memories of. We should celebrate it big time!
8. Me being an OX I want her! See that ring! She is mine! Dang gum it!

Any other reasons out there?

But the one thing you don't want to do is make people think it is a sin to make love before the wedding. What if they think, "Well we have sinned now! Our marriage is forever tainted. No use for a wedding! Let's just keep it a secret!"

Last edited:
Reactions: April_Rose

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but I'm not sure where you're disagreeing with what I said? What is it I said that is making you so defensive? That I said sex without a promise is not a marriage? That's just a fact. If people engage in sexual intercourse without making marriage vows to one another, it is just indulging the flesh--nothing else.

But I said nothing against common law marriages. In fact, my argument would acknowledge them. So I'm not sure where you're coming from. Please don't make yourself into the lonely prophet who speaks the truth and no one listens. I'm perfectly willing to listen to you!
Sorry Randy...didn't mean to step on your toes. all good.

Reactions: Randy Kluth

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So @April_Rosewe have talked about this on a few threads, but no one steps up to the plate and explains why we should have weddings.

let me do it now. Jesus honors what his priesthood honors, and when that priesthood marries a couple, God honors it. Matthew 18:18 may be speaking of marriage, and the God in heaven honors that marriage when performed by priesthood authority. There are things kept in heaven like the book of life:

Matthew 18:18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
let me do it now. Jesus honors what his priesthood honors, and when that priesthood marries a couple, God honors it. Matthew 18:18 may be speaking of marriage, and the God in heaven honors that marriage when performed by priesthood authority. There are things kept in heaven like the book of life:

Matthew 18:18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

LOL You do not want to couple that up with the history of the Catholic Church.
Christ was a High Priest of the Order of Melchizedek...think you can find one of them?
Which church authority are you going to stand on?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL You do not want to couple that up with the history of the Catholic Church.
Christ was a High Priest of the Order of Melchizedek...think you can find one of them?
Which church authority are you going to stand on?

When I was married, before my wife divorced me, we were married by a priest. I felt Jesus holy spirit joining us and he said as much. That is not something that I felt in relationships I had as a youth where we had sex and desired to be together forever.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was married, before my wife divorced me, we were married by a priest. I felt Jesus holy spirit joining us and he said as much. That is not something that I felt in relationships I had as a youth where we had sex and desired to be together forever.

Well, the depth of your love is a personal thing.
And what comfort you is a personal thing.
And you may have...found out the hard way, that sometimes it is not just the depth of your love that keeps a marriage together.
Either way, it not the paper, or the vows, or the priest that keep you together. There are a lot of wedding with priests that end in divorce. The focus should be on the love.

Reactions: dev553344

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That should be "10 NON-BIBLICAL REASONS etc". There are no biblical reasons why marriage is not for everyone.

What if someone is like Paul and stays single to be a minister for Christ more effectively?

In 1 Corinthians 7, Paul said he wished men were as he were, which is unmarried.

Reactions: tsr and April_Rose

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What if someone is like Paul and stays single to be a minister for Christ more effectively?
That is certainly an option for a few. Jewish men were generally married at a fairly young age. Many commentators believe that Paul was a widower who chose not to remarry. But he also noted that he had a right to have a wife as did all the other apostles. However since he was an itinerant missionary, singleness was his best option.
In 1 Corinthians 7, Paul said he wished men were as he were, which is unmarried.
Yes, it was certainly his wish, but clearly not practical, as the rest of that chapter shows. Also Christ made it plain that only a few made themselves "eunuchs" (no doubt metaphorically) for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven. Paul also urged the younger widows to marry, bear children, and manage their household.

The fundamental principle for all human beings is marriage, and that is clearly stated in Genesis 1:26-28: And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
So God created man [mankind] in his
own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is certainly an option for a few. Jewish men were generally married at a fairly young age. Many commentators believe that Paul was a widower who chose not to remarry. But he also noted that he had a right to have a wife as did all the other apostles. However since he was an itinerant missionary, singleness was his best option.

Yes, it was certainly his wish, but clearly not practical, as the rest of that chapter shows. Also Christ made it plain that only a few made themselves "eunuchs" (no doubt metaphorically) for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven. Paul also urged the younger widows to marry, bear children, and manage their household.

The fundamental principle for all human beings is marriage, and that is clearly stated in Genesis 1:26-28: And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
So God created man [mankind] in his
own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

I agree that it isn't the majority. Most people are subject to temptation and should marry to avoid fornication. Your original point was that there was no biblical reason for not marrying so I was wondering about that but we agree on the majors.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
it says in the bible that you shouldn't marry unless you're burning with passion. I don't burn with passion but I want some experience or else I feel what am I missing on the other side? And I guess since Christians on here are so cautious about doing sexual things with your partner prior to marriage that's not sex, that means I'd have to get married.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it says in the bible that you shouldn't marry unless you're burning with passion. I don't burn with passion but I want some experience or else I feel what am I missing on the other side? And I guess since Christians on here are so cautious about doing sexual things with your partner prior to marriage that's not sex, that means I'd have to get married.

You're not missing anything but heartache.

You want your "experience" to be with your marriage partner. This can be the backbone of a strong commitment.

I regret even the "small things" I did that were physical with other men that weren't my husband. Not that going on different dates with different men is bad. But save all the physical experience for the other side of marriage and you won't regret it.

The reason why were cautious is because sexual things leads to sex. That is what they are designed for.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You're not missing anything but heartache.

You want your "experience" to be with your marriage partner. This can be the backbone of a strong commitment.

I regret even the "small things" I did that were physical with other men that weren't my husband. Not that going on different dates with different men is bad. But save all the physical experience for the other side of marriage and you won't regret it.

The reason why were cautious is because sexual things leads to sex. That is what they are designed for.
thanks, I guess so :)

Reactions: Wynona