Martial Arts for self defense

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
yws i would probably do it for both self defense & fitness
@shortangel Just commenting to FHII, above, that a lot of ppl who get into martial arts also get into tattoos.

Martial arts and tattoos seem really to go together, often.

Maybe you yourself would get into one or other; or even both?

(It's a definite trend, anyway...)

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FHII Well, if he's indeed a former martial arts teacher, then no wonder he has a few tattoos; they kind of go together, right?
Farouk, if you see it that way, fine. I'm on your side.. Tats, Martial arts, piercings... they all are fine under grace. The foundation is grace. And there are a lot of things covered by it; some of them you may not approve of.

But as much as I am on your side about tattoos, I really care little about it. I get your point.. it can be interesting to hear a good testimony from a tattooed person about the grace of God... but so can a Christian drinking a beer in a bar, or enjoying a performance in a gentleman's club (While having a beer and having tattooes).

Grace allows us to do these things. That is where the focus should be.

Reactions: shortangel

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Farouk, if you see it that way, fine. I'm on your side.. Tats, Martial arts, piercings... they all are fine under grace. The foundation is grace. And there are a lot of things covered by it; some of them you may not approve of.

But as much as I am on your side about tattoos, I really care little about it. I get your point.. it can be interesting to hear a good testimony from a tattooed person about the grace of God... but so can a Christian drinking a beer in a bar, or enjoying a performance in a gentleman's club (While having a beer and having tattooes).

Grace allows us to do these things. That is where the focus should be.
@FHII:

Oh I agree that ink is not the central be all and end all, not by a long shot.

Not everyone into ink is into martial arts, either, although a lot into martial arts are also into ink.

Often it's a case of finding the confidence to have the inking done. (Did you say that your wife recently plucked up the courage to get inked also? faith based design, maybe.....)

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FHII:

Oh I agree that ink is not the central be all and end all, not by a long shot.

Not everyone into ink is into martial arts, either, although a lot into martial arts are also into ink.

Often it's a case of finding the confidence to have the inking done. (Did you say that your wife recently plucked up the courage to get inked also? faith based design, maybe.....)
Farouk, you are missing a very subtle hint here. Yes, I have a tattoo, and so does my wife... new one gotten in her 50's. And no... Neither hers or mine were faith based. My Pastor has tattoos and is into martial arts. While we do these things, it doesn't define us. We are not Tattoed people who happen to be Christians. We are Christians who have tattoos.

The Church I attend -- my Church -- has a love for tattoos. But that is not our first or even second love. It's just something we do..

Frankly, I am tired of talking about it. My tats have nothing to do with my spiritual walk in Christ. They are merely a libertyI enjoy and perhaps at best a testimony of my liberty.

And if thar is not direct enough, Farouk... point to Christ when you evangelize... not to your tattoes!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Farouk, you are missing a very subtle hint here. Yes, I have a tattoo, and so does my wife... new one gotten in her 50's. And no... Neither hers or mine were faith based. My Pastor has tattoos and is into martial arts. While we do these things, it doesn't define us. We are not Tattoed people who happen to be Christians. We are Christians who have tattoos.

The Church I attend -- my Church -- has a love for tattoos. But that is not our first or even second love. It's just something we do..

Frankly, I am tired of talking about it. My tats have nothing to do with my spiritual walk in Christ. They are merely a libertyI enjoy and perhaps at best a testimony of my liberty.

And if thar is not direct enough, Farouk... point to Christ when you evangelize... not to your tattoes!
@FHII Great post! thank-you!! :)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@shortangel Just commenting to FHII, above, that a lot of ppl who get into martial arts also get into tattoos.

following the trends is definitely cool.....according to the world......where God's children find themselves swimming against the stream .....or should I say the overwhelming consensus.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@LadyofFireandLace So did you see the self-defence technique videos, above? (posts #121, 122) or maybe you already know that stuff......

God has taken care of me in every situation. Maybe would be good to learn but looking over things from the past I don't see it working. They would still win.

I chased my mom's ex out of the apartment with a bottle of pepper spray and that worked pretty well. That's like six bucks.

I walk alone so I carry a whistle with me...

Yes, but not for fighting sake. . . I like the physical conditioning. I just want to be in ridiculously good shape for reasons. . . @LadyofFireandLace
giphy.gif

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Non of my family have Tattoos. my dad strictly forbid such totally !

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God has taken care of me in every situation. Maybe would be good to learn but looking over things from the past I don't see it working. They would still win.

I chased my mom's ex out of the apartment with a bottle of pepper spray and that worked pretty well. That's like six bucks.

I walk alone so I carry a whistle with me...

giphy.gif
:) Jesus had at his disposal 10,000 angels when he was threatened....hmmm.....he didn't use them.....he trusted his Father would take care of him......he trusted that his mission would not be a failure......he trusted that in spite of the rage around him he would walk through victorious even when he saw the end of the line.......he calls us to walk in his footsteps.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Non of my family have Tattoos. my dad strictly forbid such totally !

Well, I guess this was very many years ago when tattoos (and maybe martial arts in the West also) were not as widespread perhaps.

As UnrulyBeauty said in her posting:
Tattoos have been "non-taboo" for a good 20 years or so. I think a lot of older people (and I'm not young to begin with lol) still think that tattoos are this grungy, rough, male trend. But that hasn't been the case for many, many years. .. I have several tattoos. I've never felt the slightest guilt over them :) The last one I got was many, many years ago. I would love to get a few more before I'm old and wrinkly :D

It's true that martial arts and tattoos are separate.

But it's also true that many ppl who are into martial arts are also into tattoos, in designs which sometimes reflect martial arts interests.

cc @shortangel

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, I guess this was very many years ago when tattoos (and maybe martial arts in the West also) were not as widespread perhaps.

As UnrulyBeauty said in her posting:

It's true that martial arts and tattoos are separate.

But it's also true that many ppl who are into martial arts are also into tattoos, in designs which sometimes reflect martial arts interests.

cc @shortangel
I think that Tattoos are just a trend thing overall nowadays, it's seen as cool ?

When I was a school kid and from then on all the people who got Tattoos did so for a reason ? to look tough ? some ego trip problem or low self esteem ?
I thought maybe I could get a Tattoo, but a nice big one say. but my Grandad had 2 tattoos and he said not to ever get one and the reasons why, but he had his numbers covered up by the Tattoo on his chest, as the Nazis got him and put him to work, so you get a Number to ID you, if you work. The Nazis first started to tattoo people on the chest and then they numbered people on the in side left arm later on. The numbers 9mm high and neat as and if you see anything other they are BS that some idiot got put on, just to get the free German money after the war for life.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think that Tattoos are just a trend thing overall nowadays, it's seen as cool ?

When I was a school kid and from then on all the people who got Tattoos did so for a reason ? to look tough ? some ego trip problem or low self esteem ?
I thought maybe I could get a Tattoo, but a nice big one say. but my Grandad had 2 tattoos and he said not to ever get one and the reasons why, but he had his numbers covered up by the Tattoo on his chest, as the Nazis got him and put him to work, so you get a Number to ID you, if you work. The Nazis first started to tattoo people on the chest and then they numbered people on the in side left arm later on. The numbers 9mm high and neat as and if you see anything other they are BS that some idiot got put on, just to get the free German money after the war for life.
Well, your grandfather's perspective was indeed rather different and poignant, in those circumstances.....