Martin Luther didn't choose to leave the Catholic Church, the church excommunicated Luther.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know very little about Luther and it's been explained to me by countless Catholics that Luther left the church but that's not accurate. Luther was excommunicated. After the church excommunicated Luther, he was then sentenced to death by the government.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I know very little about Luther and it's been explained to me by countless Catholics that Luther left the church but that's not accurate. Luther was excommunicated. After the church excommunicated Luther, he was then sentenced to death by the government.

Yes, he caused an ‘accidental’ Reformation by trying to make the head honchos of his church honest in their teachings and dealings and to stop making a mockery of God’s forgiveness as if it can be bought!
He wanted to reform his own church, but ended up reforming way more….

dhmsatx

Jun 21, 2023
San Antonio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, he caused an ‘accidental’ Reformation by trying to make the head honchos of his church honest in their teachings and dealings and to stop making a mockery of God’s forgiveness as if it can be bought!
He wanted to reform his own church, but ended up reforming way more….
Am Lutheran, can confirm

magicmarkers

Aug 27, 2023
Charleston
www.questionsforcatholics.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Papal Encyclical, Exsurge Domine, was the official response from Pope Leo X to Martin Luther’s 95 Thesis in 1520. The Pope’s response addressed 41 topics of concern raised by Luther. Topics in questionwere addressed, and have since been ratified by the Church. The separation brought about by Martin Luther was unnecessary. Luther left. The repercussions have been a constantly dividing Christian world (to the tune of over 40,000 Christian denominations today). Thus, the prayer of Jesus becomes more distant: “Father, I pray they all will be one, just as you and I are one.” (John 17:21)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Patrick, if you are a new chum to this information, let the steam build up, don't blow it all out the whistle.