Matthew 28:19 – Trinity corrupted verse

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, the only history I see of people being baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, if that's what you're talking about, is after the death of the Apostles and that's human history not the Biblical history of the Apostles as far as I can see. All scripture that I've seen of the Apostles baptizing people, they were baptized in the name of Jesus. (Acts 2:38; Acts 10:48; Acts 19:5)
I don't recall anywhere in the scriptures of the Apostles using the phrase or saying, baptize them in the name of the Father of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, but instead they said to baptize people in the name of Jesus, which is reasonable to me since it wasn't the Father or the Holy Spirit that died for mankind it was the Only Begotten Son Jesus who died for mankind so it's understandable to me that we, as the scriptures say, are baptized in Jesus death. People making a big deal about someone being baptized and that person isn't baptized using the phrase, in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and they say that person isn't baptized properly, well I don't think the Apostles were baptizing people improperly when they baptized people in Jesus name.

Water baptism is an outward sign of repentance unto God - thus John the Baptist taught baptism of repentance for remission of sins.
Water baptism does not save us - faith in God's Word saves us = Romans 10:6-13
Why did Jesus command the Apostles to baptize? It is an outward act of obedience for the 'Beginning' of our walk with Christ. It is not a 'Finished Work/End All' unto Salvation. Going down into the water, complete submersion ( baby water sprinkling is false/conterfeit), symbolizes we agree with the Word of God this: "All have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God" - we are all dead to God in trespasses and sins - we are all unclean before God and cannot approach Him. Thus we go down into the death (submersion) but come out alive unto God.
Jesus Saves - John came as the "voice in the wilderness". The wilderness is the entire world - all of mankind who are dead unto God. But thanks be to God through the Lord Jesus Christ who came as the Chief Shepherd to wash away ours sins and lead us out of the wilderness and back to the Father.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:42 " And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers."

The Apostles doctrine is Sola Scriptura

And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted. 18And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. Matt 28:20

apostles have authority to teach

acts eunuch had scripture, God sent an apostle to teach him, and how did he find out about the necessity of baptism?

Authority of the Apostles!

What authority does Christ have?
What power does Christ have?
What mission / ministry does Christ have?

Peter, the apostles and their successors have the same authority, power, and mission! Jn 20:21 as my father sent me, even so send I you!

The apostles are Christ’s successors!
They have authority to send others as well, apostle means one who is sent!

Therefore the apostles have authority to send more apostles or successors!
Apostolic succession!

The nations still need to be taught, disciples still need to be baptized and the church the new covenant kingdom of christ still needs to be governed!

Hebrews 3:1
Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

Christ is an apostle, and has authority to send other apostles, the apostles also have this authority, so the apostles continue down thru the centuries as Christ promised! Matt 28:19-20

Keys of authority! And power to bind and loose! Matt 16:18 and Matt 18:18 matt 28:19

Moral authority:
(Teaching)
Necessity of being taught by Christ:
Two edge sword: defining truth and condemning errors, and Interpreting scripture.

Jurisdictional authority:
(Governing / administering)
Necessity of Peter and the apostles and their successors to govern the holy church.

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)
Sanctifying thru the mass and Sacraments

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Only the church has authority from Christ to define the truth and teach!
Matt 16:18 matt 18:18 matt 28:19 Jn 20:21-23 Jn 8:32 Jn 16:13

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord Jesus Christ taught Sola Scriptura to His Disciples and to anyone who "had an ear to hear and believe His Words" Mark 4:9
Never find scripture alone in the Bible!

2 Thessalonians 2:15
Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

not Bible alone!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

acts eunuch had scripture, God sent an apostle to teach him, and how did he find out about the necessity of baptism?

Peter, the apostles and their successors have the same authority, power, and mission! Jn 20:21 as my father sent me, even so send I you!

Apostolic succession!

The nations still need to be taught, disciples still need to be baptized and the church the new covenant kingdom of christ still needs to be governed!

Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

Christ is an apostle, and has authority to send other apostles, the apostles also have this authority, so the apostles continue down thru the centuries as Christ promised! Matt 28:19-20

Keys of authority! And power to bind and loose! Matt 16:18 and Matt 18:18 matt 28:19

Moral authority:
(Teaching)
Two edge sword: defining truth and condemning errors, and Interpreting scripture.

Necessity of Peter and the apostles and their successors to govern the holy church.

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Your comments are not in agreement with God's Will for you. You have mingled the doctrines of men with Scripture - Read Leviticus 10:1-7 and Deuteronomy 4:1-5 and Proverbs 30:6 and Revelations 22:18-19

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Apostolic succession!

Moral authority:
(Teaching)

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)

Apostolic succession!

Moral authority:
(Teaching)

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)

You said: "Only the church has authority from Christ to define the truth and teach!"
This statement is True = The Church of God are the Elect of God = Us who are washed in His Blood and Born Again;
"But to all who did receive Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God— 13children born not of blood, nor of the desire or will of man, but born of God."

Please Read and meditate on Ephesians 1:1-14
God Bless in the Name above all names - Jesus Christ our Lord

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No, actually he wasn't. You just got a hold of corrupt sources, as others here have also remarked.
I don't think that anybody has commented in this thread that all the writings of Eusebius where he quotes Matthew 28:19 have all been corrupted. I think you must be getting confused.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your comments are not in agreement with God's Will for you. You have mingled the doctrines of men with Scripture - Read Leviticus 10:1-7 and Deuteronomy 4:1-5 and Proverbs 30:6 and Revelations 22:18-19
Doctrine is revealed by God, but Christ to all nations Matt 28:19 thru the church of the apostles
Christ founded the one true church on Peter Matt 16:18 and the apostles Matt 18:18

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Moral authority:
(Teaching)

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)

Christ and His church are one. Acts 9:4 we must be taught by the holy church by the apostles! Matt 28:19-20 Lk 1:4 Lk 24:27 Acts 2:42 Acts 8, eph 4:5 Jude 1:3 thee faith not read scripture and make you’re own faith!

Hebrews 13:17
Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

God always establishes order in obedience to hierarchical authority of fathers! Heb 13:17

Protestantism is a sin against the Christian virtue of obedience!
(Spiritual anarchy)

Romans 16:26
But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think that anybody has commented in this thread that all the writings of Eusebius where he quotes Matthew 28:19 have all been corrupted. I think you must be getting confused.

People when they were baptized in water by the Apostles, were baptized, in the name of Jesus, according to all the baptism accounts recorded in the Bible, the Apostles didn't baptize them in the name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. There's no mention in the scriptures of anyone being baptized in the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit. I fine that very interesting, and that has nothing to do with Eusebius.
The simple facts are these, the scriptures teach us that being baptized in Jesus name is an act of repentance which leads to forgiveness of sins.(Acts 2:38) Being baptized in Jesus name alone is associated with the promise of Gods Holy Spirit.(Acts 2:38; Acts 19:1-5)
Luke 24:46,47 tells us that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in Jesus name to all the nations beginning in Jerusalem.
Colossians 3:17 tells us that whatever you do, in speech or actions, do it in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and give thanks through him to Jehovah God. Doesn't this scripture, which I believe to be a scriptural principal, when it says, "whatever you do in speech and actions," include baptizing people in Jesus name? God's word doesn't contradict itself so why are the scriptures showing that the Apostles are baptizing in the name of Jesus instead of being baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit?
As I said scripture doesn't contradict itself but instead it compliments and completes itself. The Apostle Paul not only expressed this principal, but he applied it specifically to baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus at Acts 19:1-6

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doctrine is revealed by God, but Christ to all nations Matt 28:19 thru the church of the apostles
Christ founded the one true church on Peter Matt 16:18 and the apostles Matt 18:18

There is no 'church of the apostles' - not only is that false but it is a doctrine from hell.

There is only One Church of God wherein God dwells = The Body of Christ, His Son and All whom the Father Elects.
No physical man-made building is a 'church of God' = Not one will God be found in = not one.

Have you never read and believed the Scripture: This is what the LORD says: “Heaven is My throne, and earth is My footstool. What kind of house will you build for Me? Or where will My place of repose be? Has not My hand made all these things? And so they came into being,” declares the LORD. “This is the one I will esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, who trembles at My word. Isaiah 66:1-2
and again,
However, the Most High does not dwell in houses made by human hands. As the prophet says: Heaven is My throne and the earth is My footstool. What kind of house will you build for Me, says the Lord, or where will My place of repose be? Has not My hand made all these things?’…
Acts 7:49
and again
Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings, As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.
To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious, Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2:1-5
and again
Do you not know that you yourselves are God’s Temple, and that God’s Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God’s Temple, God will destroy him; for God’s Temple is Holy, and you are that Temple.… 1 Corintians 3:16-17

This is the TRUE teachings of Christ and the Apostles - anything that contradicts and/or compromises these scriptures is error and anti-christ.

Sola Scriptura is the path to knowing God in Truth and Spirit.

The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet.
Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.
Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. John 4:20-24

Sola Scriptura

Last edited:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

when JTB said prepare the way of Lord Lk 3:4 or bring forth fruits of repentance Lk 3:8 is it the doctrine of men or divine revelation???

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said: "Only the church has authority from Christ to define the truth and teach!"
This statement is True = The Church of God are the Elect of God = Us who are washed in His Blood and Born Again;
"But to all who did receive Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God— 13children born not of blood, nor of the desire or will of man, but born of God."

only peter and the apostles have Christ’s three fold authority

Keys of authority! And power to bind and loose! Matt 16:18 and Matt 18:18
matt 28:19 Jn 20:21-23 Isa 22:21-22
eph 2:20

Moral authority:
(Teaching)
Necessity of being taught by the apostles of Christ:
Two edge sword: defining truth and condemning errors.

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)
Sanctifying thru the mass and Sacraments.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

our part is to be humble obedience faithful

Hebrews 13:17
Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

God always establishes order in obedience to hierarchical authority of fathers! Heb 13:17

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
paul has authority from Christ as an apostle to teach period!
1 cor 11:23 that which I received

As a former catholic - raised in the catholic church and it's teachings - I am fully aware of it's false doctrines.
You follow the Catholic church.
The Elect follow the Word of God.
The catholic church twists scripture unto their own destruction.
Flee and run to Christ - He alone can save you - Sola Scriptura

May the Lord Jesus Christ give unto you the revelation of who He is and grant you the Holy Spirit - Amen

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:42

From the didache teaching of the apostles from early church

Chapter 7. Concerning Baptism
And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptizeinto the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, Matthew 28:19in living water. But if you have not living water, baptize into other water; and if you can not in cold, in warm. But if you have not either, pour out water thrice upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit. But before the baptismlet the baptizer fast, and the baptized, and whatever others can; but you shall order the baptized to fast one or two days before.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would only be logical to question every verse in Matthew if you thought that every verse had been altered. But I'm only talking about one verse, so no, I don't think it's logical to dismiss all of the book just because one sentence has been altered. But we need to be aware of it and take it into account. It's wrong for someone to alter the text and make it appear that Jesus said something that he didn't. John wrote about the Book of Revelation:

"I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book, if anyone adds to them, may God add to him the plagues which are written in this book. If anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, may God take away his part from the tree of life, and out of the holy city, which are written in this book" (Revelation 22:18-19).​

and likewise God warned the Israelites to not to alter his words:

"Whatever thing I command you, that you shall observe to do. You shall not add to it, nor take away from it" (Deuteronomy 12:32).​

Jesus condemned the Pharisees and scribes for adding their own rules and commandments, and we too need to be wary that men have added to the New Testament writings when they should not have:

Mark 7 (WEB):
6) He answered them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written, ‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
7) But they worship me in vain, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’
8) “For you set aside the commandment of God, and hold tightly to the tradition of men—the washing of pitchers and cups, and you do many other such things.”
9) He said to them, “Full well do you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition.
13) making void the word of God by your tradition, which you have handed down. You do many things like this.”​

I thought what I wrote explained it. The Romans destroyed most Christians Scriptures, with a few obviously having been kept safe. Those few were not replaced, just altered by adding a few words, and then every new copy copied the alteration. Why do you think that level of control did not exist at that time?

We have historical Christian writings that talk about how Christians were baptising in the name of Jesus only too, for example the quote I gave in post #73 which said "In the 3rd century baptism in the name of Christ was still so widespread". Those and the New Testament record of baptisms (which are only in the name of Jesus) are part of the logical argument that I've shared in this thread - it's not just me saying it's wrong just because I want it to be wrong; I always give reasonings and evidence to support what I say, otherwise it would be pointless to say anything!
Hmmmmm.....Only one verse or sentence in Matthew has been changed? Is it possible that theology has changed over the years? I agree with you that in the early Church some baptized in the name of Jesus only and others used the trinitarian method. Wouldn’t that mean there was a change in theology or teaching over the years? And the dominate, or theologically correct method of baptism won out? How can you KNOW which one was added and His words were altered? Your evidence of alteration is very weak.....IMO.

Your “baptize only in the name of Jesus” teaching is not held by a majority of denominations. Does that concern you?

Mary

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:42

From the didache teaching of the apostles from early church

Chapter 7. Concerning Baptism
And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptizeinto the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, Matthew 28:19in living water. But if you have not living water, baptize into other water; and if you can not in cold, in warm. But if you have not either, pour out water thrice upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit. But before the baptismlet the baptizer fast, and the baptized, and whatever others can; but you shall order the baptized to fast one or two days before.

The religious document known as the Didache was written by a person/persons who we actually don't know who he/they were. The thing is, this document, contrary to the practice of what Jesus said and done at the Lord evening meal, the Didache says to pass the wine before the bread, contrary to scripture. It also stated that if there was no body of water available for baptism to immerse someone in water, pouring water on a person's head would be ok, contrary to the scriptures. This document also stated that it was an obligation to those who said they were Jesus followers, to fast twice daily and recite the our Father exactly three times, again contrary to the scriptures. The simple fact is the Didache isn't the inspired word of God. So I wouldn't trust everything it says. The Apostles are shown in scripture to be baptizing in the name of Jesus, not once do we have it written down in scripture when the Apostles are baptizing people do they say the words they are baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. So as I said ad continue to say there's nothing wrong with a person/person's being baptized in the name of Jesus.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no 'church of the apostles' - not only is that false but it is a doctrine from hell.

There is only One Church of God wherein God dwells = The Body of Christ, His Son and All whom the Father Elects.
No physical man-made building is a 'church of God' = Not one will God be found in = not one.

Have you never read and believed the Scripture: This is what the LORD says: “Heaven is My throne, and earth is My footstool. What kind of house will you build for Me? Or where will My place of repose be? Has not My hand made all these things? And so they came into being,” declares the LORD. “This is the one I will esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, who trembles at My word. Isaiah 66:1-2
and again,
However, the Most High does not dwell in houses made by human hands. As the prophet says: Heaven is My throne and the earth is My footstool. What kind of house will you build for Me, says the Lord, or where will My place of repose be? Has not My hand made all these things?’…
Acts 7:49
and again
Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings, As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.
To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious, Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2:1-5
and again
Do you not know that you yourselves are God’s Temple, and that God’s Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God’s Temple, God will destroy him; for God’s Temple is Holy, and you are that Temple.… 1 Corintians 3:16-17

This is the TRUE teachings of Christ and the Apostles - anything that contradicts and/or compromises these scriptures is error and anti-christ.

Sola Scriptura is the path to knowing God in Truth and Spirit.

The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet.
Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.
Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. John 4:20-24

Sola Scriptura

refers to the holy sacrifice of Christ

the church is built on the apostles Matt 16:18 Jn 20:21-23
No apostles no church no new covenant no authority no salvation
Matt 28:18-20

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

I am with you (the apostles) till the end

you’re in the fundamentalist error of faith alone and Bible alone!