Meaning of This Generation Will Not Pass Away Until All These Things Take Place

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This traditional interpretation has become so deeply ingrained that study Bibles routinely offer it in their margin notes.
It is far more modernist than traditional, as not until the appearance of dispensational futurism's Scofield Reference Bible in the 20th century did the malinterpretation emerge widely. No historical expositor prior to then ever identified the AoD as antichrist.

The identity of the AoD is plain from Luke's parallel text in Luke 21:20.

It is the Roman armies, who would "stand" in the holy place, as you've pointed out.

Last edited:

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Back to the original question.

Meaning of This Generation Will Not Pass Away Until All These Things Take Place​

Math: 24, Mark: 13, Luke: 21. lists the signs of the end time's
The first one is the Fig tree. 1948. People born before that year ARE the end time Generation.
Some of them will still be alive when Jesus Christ returns. Many born after that year of course will be alive when Jesus Christ returns also.
The big end time event will be the arrival of the two witnesses.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As exegeted by Strong:

1074 [e]
genea
γενεὰ
generation
N-NFS

"the whole multitude of men living at the same time: Matthew 24:34"

Luke 21:20 identifies the abomination of desolation:
And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
Per Strong's and these 2000 years later, it would appear that "generation" to whom Yeshua was addressing has already passed away.

I've heard of those who are certain this messed up world is evidence we're living in the tribulation or even great tribulation period.

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Back to the original question.

Meaning of This Generation Will Not Pass Away Until All These Things Take Place​

Math: 24, Mark: 13, Luke: 21. lists the signs of the end time's
The first one is the Fig tree. 1948. People born before that year ARE the end time Generation.
Some of them will still be alive when Jesus Christ returns. Many born after that year of course will be alive when Jesus Christ returns also.
The big end time event will be the arrival of the two witnesses.

Exactly. The fig tree began to put forth leaves in 1948. A generation of strength is 80 years.

Psalms 90
10 The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

If the generation that sees the fig tree put forth leaves will not pass away before all these things come to pass, that would mean Jesus would have to return by 2028. Strangely enough, and yet not at all, there is an asteroid coming in 2029 which appears to be a candidate for the star falling from heaven at the 3rd trumpet during the 7th seal.

This seems to line up perfectly with the second coming of Jesus at the 6th seal, where He remains in the clouds and sends His angels to gather the elect from heaven and earth. This would put a return of Jesus in 2030 for the second advent where Jesus returns to the earth and sets His feet on the Mount of Olives.

• Love
Reactions: pompadour

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly. The fig tree began to put forth leaves in 1948. A generation of strength is 80 years.

No, that verse is speaking of human life spans, 70-80 years. It has nothing to do with the generation that Christ said would see the endtime events and his Coming.

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, that verse is speaking of human life spans, 70-80 years. It has nothing to do with the generation that Christ said would see the endtime events and his Coming.
I think you should read a little further.

Psalm 90
10 The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

11 Who knoweth the power of thine anger? even according to thy fear, so is thy wrath.

12 So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.

13 Return, O Lord, how long? and let it repent thee concerning thy servants.

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And it should be mentioned that if Jesus returns in 2030 for the second advent that would mean that He comes at least seven years earlier for His Church.

I suggest the bride should make herself ready and we should look up as the day fast approaches. The Feast of New Wine, the celebration of the harvest is at the door.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And it should be mentioned that if Jesus returns in 2030 for the second advent that would mean that He comes at least seven years earlier for His Church.

I suggest the bride should make herself ready and we should look up as the day fast approaches. The Feast of New Wine, the celebration of the harvest is at the door.
Six months to go.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
likely much less than that.
Jesus did not know the day or hour.

I'll give you a virtual hug in February.:)

Enjoy your God given life. It is what the two of you , you and God, make it.

Don't look to the end of this world. That's at Gods discretion.

In the few minutes it took to write, and read, this post the end of the world has occurred for countless people whose life were lost.

The end according to our theology is a horror show for others. I don't look forward to that for anyone not in Christ.:(

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you should read a little further.

Psalm 90

The meaning hasn't changed. It is speaking of human life spans, and death when the spirit returns to heaven. Contextually unrelated to the generation that would see the second coming.

The Light

Mar 11, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus did not know the day or hour.
Which is why we are told to watch so we will know the hour.

Revelation 3
3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

I'll give you a virtual hug in February.:)
Possible but I will be surprised.
Enjoy your God given life. It is what the two of you , you and God, make it.

Don't look to the end of this world. That's at Gods discretion.
We are given a command to watch so that He will not come upon us as a thief.

The end according to our theology is a horror show for others. I don't look forward to that for anyone not in Christ.:(
It makes me sick. People will soon be swallowing the aliens did it nonsense. The time is very short as the first harvest is in the summer.
The time of testing is at hand.

jamesdalbright

Apr 30, 2023
PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the context is about Israel then it is! And Matthew 24 is definitely focused on the Israelite people. so this people will not pass away until all be fulfilled is about Israel. The word unless specifically modified always means people and not a time frame.
Matt 24:29 contains a statement that uncovers that you are wrong.
Matt. 24:29 “But immediately after the tribulation of those days THE SUN WILL BE DARKENED, AND THE MOON WILL NOT GIVE ITS LIGHT, AND THE STARS WILL FALL from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken, 30 and then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the SON OF MAN COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF THE SKY with power and great glory. 31 “And He will send forth His angels with A GREAT TRUMPET and THEY WILL GATHER TOGETHER His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.

jamesdalbright

Apr 30, 2023
PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James,

Jesus identified "this generation" as "when you" (those to whom He was speaking) "see", and, "When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near—at the doors!"

The question then becomes, "When were the branches of Israel tender and putting forth leaves?" If one were to answer, saying "1948" or some other date during these times, they would have to turn a blind eye to the budding of the apostles and the growth of the early church recorded in Acts. I submit therefore, that such blindness also occurred even during that generation to whom Jesus was speaking, and has continued to fulfill the "believing of a lie" foretold to bring "strong delusion", "a falling away", and great apostacy among the church.

The question then remains, "Why then did they not see all those things occur?" The answer of which, is "Because they were blind." And them (or even this generation today) not seeing, does not mean that those things have not occurred.
The fact that Babylon the great, which is the USA, didn't exist at that time reveals you are wrong.
The Antichrist and False Prophet have been thrown into the lake of Fire yet, which reveals you are wrong.
Rev. 19:20 And the beast was seized, and with him the false prophet who performed the signs in his presence, by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image; these two were thrown alive into the lake of fire which burns with brimstone.

Instant

Sep 17, 2020
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just reworded what I posted as if you knew this already, but the truth is you didn't, you learned it through me. Try humility.
Brother, I have understood this for decades. Those of us who are saved have the same Holy Spirit that leads us into all truth. I agree with your interpretation, and I believe it was given to you by God.

jamesdalbright

Apr 30, 2023
PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother, I have understood this for decades. Those of us who are saved have the same Holy Spirit that leads us into all truth. I agree with your interpretation, and I believe it was given to you by God.
The Holy Spirit was not in the person's remark I responded to, nor is He in your flip remark.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matt 24:29 contains a statement that uncovers that you are wrong.
Matt. 24:29 “But immediately after the tribulation of those days THE SUN WILL BE DARKENED, AND THE MOON WILL NOT GIVE ITS LIGHT, AND THE STARS WILL FALL from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken, 30 and then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the SON OF MAN COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF THE SKY with power and great glory. 31 “And He will send forth His angels with A GREAT TRUMPET and THEY WILL GATHER TOGETHER His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.
Well I believe it is you who is in error

Matthew 24 and 25 are the Olivet discourse and constitutes one th9ought, though it was later divided intro two chapters. Let us remember that the originals were not divided by chapters and verses.

In 24:29 we see the gathering of the elect. Who can this be? Most people think this is the church or all believers, but cannot be.

In chapter 25:31-40 is another gathering. this is all the peoples ( keeping this in its historic context that would refer to gentiles)

In this gathering is both saved and lost, so the elect is not a gathering of all believers! And given all the promises of God in both the old and new that God would save all of Israel in the end times and that they are Gods covenanted people, they are the elect that are first gathered at jesus return, and the rest of the peoples (nations) are gathered after. and the saved are separated from the lost.

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In this previous post, I gave the proper interpretation. It should have ended this discussion at that point - if people actually read it.