Meaning of This Generation Will Not Pass Away Until All These Things Take Place

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jamesdalbright

Apr 30, 2023
PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For a long time I wondered how the phrase, "this generation will not pass away until all these things take place", found in Mat 24:32 fits into the picture of the end times. I have heard the unsaved scoff at the Bible, claiming that the Bible is not true because the generation that Jesus was speaking to did not see all of the things He was describing take place. However, I heard from the Holy Spirit through a fellow believer, that Jesus was telling the disciples that the generation that recognizes the things Jesus described in Mat 24 are taking place would be the generation that sees all of the things Jesus told them will take place and be the generation that sees the coming of Jesus. Thank you Jesus. For example, everyone now sees and reports that the earthquakes are occurring more frequently and greater in intensity like birth pangs. We are that generation that will see the second coming of Jesus. With this in mind we can also see that all of the things Jesus spoke about will occur very rapidly.
Matt. 24:32 “Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; 33 so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door. 34 “Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.

As is described in Mat 24:7-9 earthquakes and famines have become noticeably more frequent and intense like birth pangs during child birth. It is also obvious that Christians are becoming more hated by all.
Matt. 24:7 “For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes. 8 “But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs. 9 “Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name. 10 “At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another.

The Palestinian, Israeli conflict and the international cry for peace beckons for the Antichrist to emerge on the scene and make a peace treaty between many nations and Israel and put a false end to this conflict. With this in view we can see that the time the Antichrist will break the peace treaty and he and the False Prophet will set up the abomination of desolation, as described in Mat 24:15 is close.
Matt. 24:15 “Therefore when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand),

jamesdalbright

Apr 30, 2023
PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simple!!= Jesus says the generation that sees the end times signs He is talking about is the last generatiom.==Read in contex!!
You just reworded what I posted as if you knew this already, but the truth is you didn't, you learned it through me. Try humility.

• Haha
Reactions: Nancy

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ROFL!!! I have posted this very post for years===Simple!!= Jesus says the generation that sees the end times signs He is talking about is the last generatiom.==Read in contex!!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"this generation will not pass away until all these things take place"
This word translated "generation" can refer to:

A. All the people born in a certain time.
B. All the people living in a certain time.
C. All the people born of a certain people/group.

Matthew 24:21-22 KJV
21) For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
22) And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

The Elect . . . God's Chosen Nation . . . Israel.

Matthew 24:13 KJV
But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Matthew 24:31 KJV
And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Matthew 24:33-34 KJV
33) So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
34) Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Jesus continues to prophesy throughout this discourse the preservation of Israel.

Much love!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the Gospel of Matthew, the phrase "this generation" refers to the Hebrew people as a people, who are known for being stubborn and insensible concerning what the prophets have said.

When Jesus says, "This generation shall not pass away," he refers to race, not time. Jesus means to say that his people will always continue to be a living people on the earth until all things have been fulfilled.

This is a similar idea to what Jeremiah said about Israel.

Jeremiah 31:35-36
Thus says the Lord,
Who gives the sun for light by day
And the fixed order of the moon and the stars for light by night,
Who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar;
The Lord of hosts is His name:
36 “If this fixed order departs
From before Me,” declares the Lord,
“Then the offspring of Israel also will cease
From being a nation before Me forever.”

Reactions: rwb and marks

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't try to twist the Words of God ==God says what He MEANS TO SAY== Jesus says the generation that sees the end times signs He is talking about is the last generatiom.==Read in contex!!

jamesdalbright

Apr 30, 2023
PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ROFL!!! I have posted this very post for years===Simple!!= Jesus says the generation that sees the end times signs He is talking about is the last generatiom.==Read in contex!!
Copy and past your earliest post with the time stamp.

Last edited:

jamesdalbright

Apr 30, 2023
PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This word translated "generation" can refer to:

A. All the people born in a certain time.
B. All the people living in a certain time.
C. All the people born of a certain people/group.

Matthew 24:21-22 KJV
21) For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
22) And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

The Elect . . . God's Chosen Nation . . . Israel.

Matthew 24:13 KJV
But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Matthew 24:31 KJV
And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Matthew 24:33-34 KJV
33) So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
34) Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Jesus continues to prophesy throughout this discourse the preservation of Israel.

Much love!
Your post has nothing to do with "this generation". Your A - C comments are false definitions of a generation. You comment about the elect in Matt. 24 is false also. The elect refers to all believers.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For a long time I wondered how the phrase, "this generation will not pass away until all these things take place", found in Mat 24:32 fits into the picture of the end times. I have heard the unsaved scoff at the Bible, claiming that the Bible is not true because the generation that Jesus was speaking to did not see all of the things He was describing take place. However, I heard from the Holy Spirit through a fellow believer, that Jesus was telling the disciples that the generation that recognizes the things Jesus described in Mat 24 are taking place would be the generation that sees all of the things Jesus told them will take place and be the generation that sees the coming of Jesus. Thank you Jesus.

Yes, this is correct. The verse is saying, "the people that see the things I have described will live to see all these things take place"

This includes the second coming and rapture/gathering of the saints. Many claim some events were seen by people in the first century and some will see the rest of the events but that splitting of events is not supported by the text.

So, nothing Christ spoke about was about 70AD, or 1948 or 1957 etc etc. He described signs that happen just before the GT happens, GT events, and then events of the second coming. The people that see those events are the "generation" he spoke about.

Reactions: jamesdalbright

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The generation that Christ was talking about in Matt 25:34 is all of the seventh age that many have labelled as the Millenium Age. This age will not pass away until all these things mentioned here have taken place.

Hosea 6:1-3 also speaks of this same timeframe.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes! Red Matthew 24 for contex
I would look to Matthew 23 for the answer. In that chapter, Jesus curses "this generation" with several "woes" as a judgment against the scribes and Pharisees, referring to them as "hypocrites." Matthew chapter 23 is punctuated by the phrase "Woe to you Scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites . . ."

Having cursed the scribes and Pharisees, calling down judgment on them, Jesus says,

Matthew 23:34-39
34 “Therefore, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city, 35 so that upon you may fall the guilt of all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.
37 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling. 38 Behold, your house is being left to you desolate! 39 For I say to you, from now on you will not see Me until you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!’”

Essentially Jesus says that his curses against the scribes and Pharisees will fall on the generation living at the time. Not only will the scribes and Pharisees suffer the afflictions, but because they are going to kill prophets and wise men sent to her, Jerusalem itself will fall to destruction, and her "house" will be left desolate.

The punishments that will fall upon Jerusalem will fall on the scribes and Pharisees living at the time Jesus cursed them, and the curses will fall upon the city of Jerusalem and the House of Judah, alive at the time Jesus spoke.

Matthew 24:32-35
32 “Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; 33 so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.

It's easy to get the wrong idea here. In our ears, it appears to say that "all these things" will take place during a single generation, i.e., the people born and living at the same time. But I think Jesus means to say something else, given how Jesus defined "this generation." earlier in chapter 23. "This generation" refers specifically to the leaders of the people, who constantly lead the people away from Jesus. During the Second Temple period, "this generation" was the scribes and Pharisees. After the second temple period, "this generation" continued in the form of Rabbinic Judaism and the Babylonian Talmud. Jesus said that he would continue to send them prophets and wise men and that the Jewish leaders would continue to kill them.

I think what Jesus means to say is this. "This generation" (evil leaders of Judaism) will continue to exist until all these things occur. Even after the Second Temple is destroyed and the Jewish people are scattered to the nations, Rabbinic Judaism and the Babylonian Talmud will continue to lead the people away from Jesus. This situation will continue right up to the last minute.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the Gospel of Matthew, the phrase "this generation" refers to the Hebrew people as a people, who are known for being stubborn and insensible concerning what the prophets have said.

When Jesus says, "This generation shall not pass away," he refers to race, not time. Jesus means to say that his people will always continue to be a living people on the earth until all things have been fulfilled.

This is a similar idea to what Jeremiah said about Israel.

Jeremiah 31:35-36
Thus says the Lord,
Who gives the sun for light by day
And the fixed order of the moon and the stars for light by night,
Who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar;
The Lord of hosts is His name:
36 “If this fixed order departs
From before Me,” declares the Lord,
“Then the offspring of Israel also will cease
From being a nation before Me forever.”

I wouldn't discount this definition for "this generation." But neither would I necessarily limit "this generation" to His people, meaning the Jewish people continuing to be living on the earth until all things have been fulfilled. Another way of understanding "this generation" is not to limit "this generation" specifically to the Jews, but rather to whosoever of them Christ refers to as "an evil generation." Christ could also be saying that all people belonging to an evil generation or evil people, under the power of their father, the devil, shall be living on this earth until all things have been fulfilled.

Luke 11:29-30 (KJV) And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet. For as Jonas was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation.

The sign, which is Christ is to all generations. But only an evil, and adulterous generation seeks for a sign from heaven to believe. Sign seekers are of every generation of evil people who need more proof than Christ' death and resurrection to believe.

Matthew 12:39 (KJV) But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would look to Matthew 23 for the answer. In that chapter, Jesus curses "this generation" with several "woes" as a judgment against the scribes and Pharisees, referring to them as "hypocrites." Matthew chapter 23 is punctuated by the phrase "Woe to you Scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites . . ."

Having cursed the scribes and Pharisees, calling down judgment on them, Jesus says,

Matthew 23:34-39
34 “Therefore, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city, 35 so that upon you may fall the guilt of all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.
37 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling. 38 Behold, your house is being left to you desolate! 39 For I say to you, from now on you will not see Me until you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!’”

Essentially Jesus says that his curses against the scribes and Pharisees will fall on the generation living at the time. Not only will the scribes and Pharisees suffer the afflictions, but because they are going to kill prophets and wise men sent to her, Jerusalem itself will fall to destruction, and her "house" will be left desolate.

The punishments that will fall upon Jerusalem will fall on the scribes and Pharisees living at the time Jesus cursed them, and the curses will fall upon the city of Jerusalem and the House of Judah, alive at the time Jesus spoke.

Matthew 24:32-35
32 “Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; 33 so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.

It's easy to get the wrong idea here. In our ears, it appears to say that "all these things" will take place during a single generation, i.e., the people born and living at the same time. But I think Jesus means to say something else, given how Jesus defined "this generation." earlier in chapter 23. "This generation" refers specifically to the leaders of the people, who constantly lead the people away from Jesus. During the Second Temple period, "this generation" was the scribes and Pharisees. After the second temple period, "this generation" continued in the form of Rabbinic Judaism and the Babylonian Talmud. Jesus said that he would continue to send them prophets and wise men and that the Jewish leaders would continue to kill them.

I think what Jesus means to say is this. "This generation" (evil leaders of Judaism) will continue to exist until all these things occur. Even after the Second Temple is destroyed and the Jewish people are scattered to the nations, Rabbinic Judaism and the Babylonian Talmud will continue to lead the people away from Jesus. This situation will continue right up to the last minute.

Today, which is every generation of people who are of the same evil as those alive in the days of Christ, are included with "this generation" that shall remain upon the earth until all things written have been fulfilled. Those evil leaders alive during the time of Christ are written to be an example for all who would follow them and reject Christ.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wouldn't discount this definition for "this generation." But neither would I necessarily limit "this generation" to His people, meaning the Jewish people continuing to be living on the earth until all things have been fulfilled. Another way of understanding "this generation" is not to limit "this generation" specifically to the Jews, but rather to whosoever of them Christ refers to as "an evil generation." Christ could also be saying that all people belonging to an evil generation or evil people, under the power of their father, the devil, shall be living on this earth until all things have been fulfilled.

Luke 11:29-30 (KJV) And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet. For as Jonas was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation.

The sign, which is Christ is to all generations. But only an evil, and adulterous generation seeks for a sign from heaven to believe. Sign seekers are of every generation of evil people who need more proof than Christ' death and resurrection to believe.

Matthew 12:39 (KJV) But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
I was taking my cues from Paul who said that the Jewish people seek after a sign. 1 Corinthians 1:22.