Meaning of This Generation Will Not Pass Away Until All These Things Take Place

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was taking my cues from Paul who said that the Jewish people seek after a sign. 1 Corinthians 1:22.

I understand. But don't forget that Satan himself comes with lying signs and wonders to lead many astray. It isn't only the Jewish nation deceived by Satan.

2 Thessalonians 2:8-9 (KJV) And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

2 Thessalonians 2:11 (KJV) And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For a long time I wondered how the phrase, "this generation will not pass away until all these things take place", found in Mat 24:32 fits into the picture of the end times. I have heard the unsaved scoff at the Bible, claiming that the Bible is not true because the generation that Jesus was speaking to did not see all of the things He was describing take place. However, I heard from the Holy Spirit through a fellow believer, that Jesus was telling the disciples that the generation that recognizes the things Jesus described in Mat 24 are taking place would be the generation that sees all of the things Jesus told them will take place and be the generation that sees the coming of Jesus. Thank you Jesus. For example, everyone now sees and reports that the earthquakes are occurring more frequently and greater in intensity like birth pangs. We are that generation that will see the second coming of Jesus. With this in mind we can also see that all of the things Jesus spoke about will occur very rapidly.
Matt. 24:32 “Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; 33 so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door. 34 “Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.

As is described in Mat 24:7-9 earthquakes and famines have become noticeably more frequent and intense like birth pangs during child birth. It is also obvious that Christians are becoming more hated by all.
Matt. 24:7 “For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes. 8 “But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs. 9 “Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name. 10 “At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another.

The Palestinian, Israeli conflict and the international cry for peace beckons for the Antichrist to emerge on the scene and make a peace treaty between many nations and Israel and put a false end to this conflict. With this in view we can see that the time the Antichrist will break the peace treaty and he and the False Prophet will set up the abomination of desolation, as described in Mat 24:15 is close.
Matt. 24:15 “Therefore when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand),
Or could it be, that the generation of the Jews, as a people (which is not a race**), will not pass away until all things are fulfilled.

I have a far different view point of who the abomination that makes desolate is.
Would you care to hear it?
Warning!
It's not anything that is fabricated by "church-ianity", and is 100% scriptural, by the teaching of God's Holy Spirit.

**Note: if the Jews think that they are a race all by themselves, then they are sadly mistaken, because the children of Abraham through "the bond woman", are semitic also.
So then, contrary to popular beliefs against "anti-semitism", Israel is just as much anti-semitic as anyone else, and is a blatant violator of the term.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I take it as 40 years is a biblically defined generation, and Jesus was serious, and John the baptist who also gave warning of the Wrath that would come, and Malachi 400 years before them.

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Or could it be, that the generation of the Jews, as a people (which is not a race**), will not pass away until all things are fulfilled.

I have a far different view point of who the abomination that makes desolate is.
Would you care to hear it?
Warning!
It's not anything that is fabricated by "church-ianity", and is 100% scriptural, by the teaching of God's Holy Spirit.

**Note: if the Jews think that they are a race all by themselves, then they are sadly mistaken, because the children of Abraham through "the bond woman", are semitic also.
So then, contrary to popular beliefs against "anti-semitism", Israel is just as much anti-semitic as anyone else, and is a blatant violator of the term.
As exegeted by Strong:

1074 [e]
genea
γενεὰ
generation
N-NFS

"the whole multitude of men living at the same time: Matthew 24:34"

Luke 21:20 identifies the abomination of desolation:
And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I take it as 40 years is a biblically defined generation, and Jesus was serious, and John the baptist who also gave warning of the Wrath that would come, and Malachi 400 years before them.
Why do you suppose Jesus was talking about time?

Matthew 24:33-35
So, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.
What does verse 35 add to his point?

English speakers get tripped up by the word "until". To our ears, the term "until" indicates a condition or a status that will remain for a time but will end eventually. Consider the following statement.

"You will not get dessert until you have finished your peas."

Here, father encourages his child to eat vegetables. His statement is meant as an incentive. If the child eats peas, father will give the child dessert. Up till the time the child finally eats the peas, the child will not get the dessert.

In the Greek language, the term "until" doesn't imply "cessation." Consider the following sentence.

"I will love you forever until the stars fall from the sky."

Here, the beloved shares his sentiments with his lover. His point is to give expression to the depth of his commitment. He doesn't mean to say that the stars will literally fall from the sky (though they may someday, who knows?). His statement assumes that they won't. His statement is hyperbolic.

Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.

Here, to our ears, Jesus seems to say, "This generation will continue up to the point that all these things take place. After that, this generation will pass away." If that is what he truly meant then a short period of 40 years sounds about right. But as I say, the idea of cessation is not a necessary connotation of the Greek word for "until."

In other words, "this generation" may never pass away.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The reason he is talking about that generation is because it was foretold of the destruction that would insue once God divorced whore isreal for worshipping idols, and having the Son of God killed, @CadyandZoe. Thats what I understand about the narrative.

Jesus came only for the lost sheep of isreal, who would be part of the bride of christ in that day which was then married and created for Christ; and today we become adopted through faith.

Once sin was paid, and after resurrection, eventually that known world lived by the old system in use of the law and priesthoods, sacrifices of animals, was all done away with once God divorced and had isreal destroyed by the Roman Army.

Could be wrong though, thanl you for asking the question.

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Try reading Matthew 24 in context, shutting out the preconceptions and schemes invented by man -

What did Jesus say?
"Then he asked them, 'You see all these, do you not? Truly I tell you, not one stone will be left here upon another; all will be thrown down.'” (Matt 24:2 NRSV)
*This is the same statement recorded in the parallels in Mark & Luke. Jesus made the singular statement about the destruction of the temple, nothing else.

What did the disciples then ask Jesus?
"They asked him, 'Teacher, when will this be, and what will be the sign that this is about to take place?'” (Luke 21:7 NRSV)
“Tell us, when will this be, and what will be the sign that all these things are about to be accomplished?” (Mark 13:4 NRSV)

In Mark and Luke, the question about timing was restricted to Jesus' statement about the destruction of the temple alone. In Matthew, which is largely from a Jewish perspective, they ask including the end of the world, or age:

"When he was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately, saying, 'Tell us, when will this be, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?'” (Matt 24:3 NRSV)
*To the Jews, the destruction of the temple indeed brought an end to their world, the end of the age. What would any Jew think about their temple being destroyed except the end of their religion and the end of their world?'

Jesus then gives the signs when the destruction of the temple was about to happen, which would end the Jewish age, the Jewish world. The dramatic apocalyptic language as in v29 is lifted from the OT passages such as Isa. 13:1,10, 19.-20; Isa 34:4,5; Eze 32:2,7-8". The language is symbolic with true meaning, but not to be read literally.

Is the fig tree in Matt. 24:32 symbolic of Israel? No! The parallel passage in Luke makes it clear it is to be taken normally, not as symbol for Israel: "Then he told them a parable: 'Look at the fig tree and all the trees; as soon as they sprout leaves you can see for yourselves and know that summer is already near. So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that the kingdom of God is near.'" (Luke 21:29-31 NRSV)

The idea that the fig tree represents Israel is from the heresy of Gnosticism, not the word of God! Read it for yourselves -
The Apocalypse of Peter -- Gnostic Society Library: Christian Apocrypha and Early Christian Literature Do a page search for "fig-tree" and read it for yourself.

After giving all the signs he has listed, in v33 Jesus says "when you see all these things", YOU, those to whom he is speaking. The YOU is not some generation thousands of years in the future. Any reference to a timing thousands of years in the future has no meaning to those disciples who asked about the timing of the event of which Jesus spoke, the destruction of the temple.

Matt 24:34 speaks of "generation" so what does that word mean in English? Merriam-Webster "a body of living beings constituting a single step in the line of descent from an ancestor" also "a group of individuals born and living contemporaneously". I know of NO English translation that renders the Greek 'genea' here as race! Most versions render "generation" in regard to those people living at the same time, contemporaneously, as is found at the beginning of Matthew, over and over in chapter one. The more dynamic translations render variously such as "the present generation" as in the REB and Weymouth NT; or "the people now living" in the GNT.

From this phrase, "this generation" in v34, Jesus makes a certain declaration that his words will not pass away in v35; he then switches to "that day" in v36 where he begins to describe the last day, the end of the world when resurrection and judgment take place. He clearly states: “But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." (Matt 24:36 NRSV) No signs or warning is given for the last day, but there were the signs alerting the disciples to whom he was speaking, when the destruction of the temple would take place which happened in 70 AD.

How anyone using standard grammar, carefully observing context, and comparing scripture with scripture can come up with the silly, convoluted prophecy schemes heard today is beyond comprehension. Many using "spoof-texting" rather than proper "proof-texting" will read into this passage a lot of silliness out of man's imaginative schemes. The term "spoof-texting" was coined by John H. Gerstner.

Reactions: covenantee

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For a long time I wondered how the phrase, "this generation will not pass away until all these things take place", found in Mat 24:32 fits into the picture of the end times. I have heard the unsaved scoff at the Bible, claiming that the Bible is not true because the generation that Jesus was speaking to did not see all of the things He was describing take place. However, I heard from the Holy Spirit through a fellow believer, that Jesus was telling the disciples that the generation that recognizes the things Jesus described in Mat 24 are taking place would be the generation that sees all of the things Jesus told them will take place and be the generation that sees the coming of Jesus. Thank you Jesus. For example, everyone now sees and reports that the earthquakes are occurring more frequently and greater in intensity like birth pangs. We are that generation that will see the second coming of Jesus. With this in mind we can also see that all of the things Jesus spoke about will occur very rapidly.
Matt. 24:32 “Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; 33 so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door. 34 “Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.

As is described in Mat 24:7-9 earthquakes and famines have become noticeably more frequent and intense like birth pangs during child birth. It is also obvious that Christians are becoming more hated by all.
Matt. 24:7 “For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes. 8 “But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs. 9 “Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name. 10 “At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another.

The Palestinian, Israeli conflict and the international cry for peace beckons for the Antichrist to emerge on the scene and make a peace treaty between many nations and Israel and put a false end to this conflict. With this in view we can see that the time the Antichrist will break the peace treaty and he and the False Prophet will set up the abomination of desolation, as described in Mat 24:15 is close.
Matt. 24:15 “Therefore when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand),
Actually the word for generation is genea which means a specific group of people. As Matt. 24 is part and parcel of god preparing Israel as a antion to receive Jesus as Messiah, it is a direct reference to the fact that Israel will not cease to exist.

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Actually the word for generation is genea which means a specific group of people. As Matt. 24 is part and parcel of god preparing Israel as a antion to receive Jesus as Messiah, it is a direct reference to the fact that Israel will not cease to exist.
1074 [e]
genea
γενεὰ
generation
N-NFS

Reactions: pompadour and rwb

jamesdalbright

Apr 30, 2023
PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1074 [e]
genea
γενεὰ
generation
N-NFS

The word generation is not interchangeable with the word Israel.
1074. γενεά genea, ghen-eh-ah´; from (a presumed derivative of) 1085; a generation; by implication, an age (the period or the persons): — age, generation, nation, time.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word generation is not interchangeable with the word Israel.
1074. γενεά genea, ghen-eh-ah´; from (a presumed derivative of) 1085; a generation; by implication, an age (the period or the persons): — age, generation, nation, time.
If the context is about Israel then it is! And Matthew 24 is definitely focused on the Israelite people. so this people will not pass away until all be fulfilled is about Israel. The word unless specifically modified always means people and not a time frame.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

James,

Jesus identified "this generation" as "when you" (those to whom He was speaking) "see", and, "When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near—at the doors!"

The question then becomes, "When were the branches of Israel tender and putting forth leaves?" If one were to answer, saying "1948" or some other date during these times, they would have to turn a blind eye to the budding of the apostles and the growth of the early church recorded in Acts. I submit therefore, that such blindness also occurred even during that generation to whom Jesus was speaking, and has continued to fulfill the "believing of a lie" foretold to bring "strong delusion", "a falling away", and great apostacy among the church.

The question then remains, "Why then did they not see all those things occur?" The answer of which, is "Because they were blind." And them (or even this generation today) not seeing, does not mean that those things have not occurred.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All Christ said is that the people who see the beginning signs of the endtimes will see everything including the second coming etc. The signs are global so it's not about Israel (country or people) or the area there in the middle east.

Reactions: pompadour

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Had to read this again, but I think I understand now. Thanks, I think it makes sense. I wondered about that verse too.

Reactions: jamesdalbright

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If the context is about Israel then it is! And Matthew 24 is definitely focused on the Israelite people. so this people will not pass away until all be fulfilled is about Israel. The word unless specifically modified always means people and not a time frame.
1074 [e]
genea
γενεὰ
generation
N-NFS

I'm confident that Bro. Strong's understanding of Greek surpasses yours.

Reactions: pompadour

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The word "generation" translated from the Greek should be translated as an ethnically similar population, that is, race. In the Aramaic Peshitta, the Aramaic word specifically means "family, genus, species". And this makes complete sense since Jesus has just been referring to a time of tribulation such as has never happened before or will ever happen again which will wipe out the majority (2/3 of Jews according the prophets). But he promises that the jewish people will not cease to exist.

Need to always remember the context. Earlier he said: [Mat 24:21 LSB] "For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will."

He had just given the parable of the fig tree - specifically a metaphor of the people of Israel. [Mat 24:21 LSB] "Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near;"

The parable of the fig tree has an additional meaning that many don't recognize. The fig tree is often used as a metaphor for the Jewish people throughout Scripture. But the phrase "summer is near" is an example of a garbled Greek translation. Although the word for summer in Aramaic is commonly used as the name for the season, it also is used as a Galilean Aramaic idiom for "gatherer of figs". (dukhrana.com/lexicon/word.php?adr=2:18574&font=Estrangelo+Edessa&source=ubs&size=125%25)

Figs ripen during mid summer. Jesus is comparing himself to the one who will gather the ripe figs when the time is right after the tree has leafed out and set fruit. And the term "gate" in Aramaic, although it is often used as gate or entrance can also idiomatically mean "beginning of the season". So when all these things are seen, know that the season for fig gathering is at hand. (Word 'tr()')

Last edited:

doctrox

Jun 11, 2019
global
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the OP, a couple of issues:

#1:
The Palestinian, Israeli conflict and the international cry for peace beckons for the Antichrist to emerge on the scene and make a peace treaty between many nations and Israel and put a false end to this conflict. With this in view we can see that the time the Antichrist will break the peace treaty and he and the False Prophet will set up the abomination of desolation...
This traditional interpretation has become so deeply ingrained that study Bibles routinely offer it in their margin notes. Indeed, few people are aware that it is based on the primary passage used to teach the faulty idea of a 7-year tribulation, and the fictional 7-year treaty. The truth is, there is not one verse in the entire Bible that teaches either concept.

#2:
The correct Majority Text translation is as follows:

When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand) -- [not "standing," which changes the meaning entirely].

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 21:20 identifies the abomination of desolation:
And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
Actually, to say that Luke 21:20 identifies what "the abomination that maketh desolate" is, describes an event having nothing to do with the actual AoD, but rather Luke 21:20 is the results after the fact.

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Actually, to say that Luke 21:20 identifies what "the abomination that maketh desolate" is, describes an event having nothing to do with the actual AoD, but rather Luke 21:20 is the results after the fact.
"Nigh" does not mean "after the fact".

It means "approaching".

Which is before the fact.

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word "generation" translated from the Greek should be translated as an ethnically similar population, that is, race. In the Aramaic Peshitta, the Aramaic word specifically means "family, genus, species". And this makes complete sense since Jesus has just been referring to a time of tribulation such as has never happened before or will ever happen again which will wipe out the majority (2/3 of Jews according the prophets). But he promises that the jewish people will not cease to exist.

Need to always remember the context. Earlier he said: [Mat 24:21 LSB] "For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will."

He had just given the parable of the fig tree - specifically a metaphor of the people of Israel. [Mat 24:21 LSB] "Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near;"

The parable of the fig tree has an additional meaning that many don't recognize. The fig tree is often used as a metaphor for the Jewish people throughout Scripture. But the phrase "summer is near" is an example of a garbled Greek translation. Although the word for summer in Aramaic is commonly used as the name for the season, it also is used as a Galilean Aramaic idiom for "gatherer of figs". (dukhrana.com/lexicon/word.php?adr=2:18574&font=Estrangelo+Edessa&source=ubs&size=125%25)

Figs ripen during mid summer. Jesus is comparing himself to the one who will gather the ripe figs when the time is right after the tree has leafed out and set fruit. And the term "gate" in Aramaic, although it is often used as gate or entrance can also idiomatically mean "beginning of the season". So when all these things are seen, know that the season for fig gathering is at hand. (Word 'tr()')

This is all good information...but is there ever to be any greater time of tribulation than was placed upon Christ [at that time]?

There is none, for all tribulation was placed upon Him, and all other tribulation is only a part.