Meditating on the Word of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find it helpful to memorize some Bible verses and to meditate upon then (think upon them).

I think they can then be helpful in various situations.... recalling a verse to mind.

Sometimes it's good to just be quiet and to mull over a couple of verses at a time. It seems to go deeper into one that way...just my experience and thoughts.

What are your thoughts on verses helping you through tough times?

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find it helpful to memorize some Bible verses and to meditate upon then (think upon them).

I think they can then be helpful in various situations.... recalling a verse to mind.

Sometimes it's good to just be quiet and to mull over a couple of verses at a time. It seems to go deeper into one that way...just my experience and thoughts.

I think what you say is true. Along these lines, I subscribe to Our Daily Bread, which is a convenient way to engage with a verse or two every day, with a short practical application that puts the verses in context. https://odb.org/.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think what you say is true. Along these lines, I subscribe to Our Daily Bread, which is a convenient way to engage with a verse or two every day, with a short practical application that puts the verses in context. https://odb.org/.
I use that devotional and a couple of days ago I read to the end of Numbers 11 and came across a verse about craving other food leading to death. I started a thread about it.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

I've never been great at memorising verses apart from the ones that have spoken to me in particular circumstances. Sites like biblegateway are really useful though if you know somethings in there but can't rememeber where.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These are a couple of my favorite verses for comfort:

The Lord also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. Psalm 9:9

For Thou will light my candle: the Lord my God will enlighten my darkness. Psalm 18:28

Reactions: Pearl

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It’s extremely useful, difficult to do when the body is weak but the spirit is willing.
Thank you for sharing.
I've never been great at memorising verses apart from the ones that have spoken to me in particular circumstances. Sites like biblegateway are really useful though if you know somethings in there but can't rememeber where.
Another useful site is www.studylight.org

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When one reads the entire Bible, which doesn't take that long, one acquires many tools.