Methuselah - When did he die and why at that particular time

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
i guess you either missed this or you missed this

Although you are fully aware of this, I want to remind you that after Jesus had delivered His people out of the land of Egypt, He destroyed those who did not believe.
And the angels who did not stay within their own domain but abandoned their proper dwelling—these He has kept in eternal chains under darkness, bound for judgment on that great day.
In like manner, Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, who indulged in sexual immorality and pursued strange flesh, are on display as an example of those who sustain the punishment of eternal fire.
Jude 1: 6-8

Scripture cannot lie
Oh, I saw that alright. I simply don't think it's saying what you'd like it too.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, I saw that alright. I simply don't think it's saying what you'd like it too.

That i can respect - but please do not call His Word myth - please dwell, pray and seek truth - His Truth

You have this scripture at each of your posts in Bold Red:
But His word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up
in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.

i love this Scripture, and it truly is in my heart.
and so i share with you - for all Scripture builds upon another.
This is how God paints and displays His Wisdom.

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter. Proverbs 25:2

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul
@Angelina
@Josho

@lforrest
Going too far a field. There are other places to discuss these other issues. It seems people are finished with the subject of the OP.

Thanks to everyone!

Please lock this thread. Thank you!

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For a background here I am copying a few posts from another thread:
@bbyrd009
@Waiting on him
@Timtofly
@Backlit

Waiting on him said: The one thousand is a symbolic portrayal of a long period of time.
Example;
Psalm 50:10 KJV
[10] For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.
Does this mean all the other hills in the world are not His?

Amadeus said: And hearing that then let us also remember that the grandfather of Noah, Methuselah with the most years accounted to him in written scripture came up short not making it beyond the flood:

"And Methuselah lived an hundred eighty and seven years, and begat Lamech:
And Methuselah lived after he begat Lamech seven hundred eighty and two years, and begat sons and daughters:
And all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred sixty and nine years: and he died." Gen 5:25-27

Timtofly said: Did he refuse to get on the ark, or did God not allow him to get on the ark?

Amadeus said: If he was still alive when the door to the ark was closed with him on the outside then he must have drowned. According to my Bible he was not one of the 8 people who did get on board. I do not believe that God would have stopped him, if he had really wanted to enter in...

Timtofly said: I would tend to agree. But we do not know the state of Methuselah's heart and mind, no matter how much credit we give him. Obviously he was not Enoch and he was not Noah. The only two humans we are told about who had faith in God.

bbyrd009 said: why do you suspect that he might still have been alive? Is the math indicating that?

Timtofly said: It was the same year. No way to tell the exact month or day. Obviously unless he got on the ark, he died. If he had gotten on the ark, no one was turned away, as far as we know, he would have kept living. Nothing in Scripture claims Methuselah had to die at a certain year of life.

Timtofly said: "And Methuselah lived after he begat Lamech seven hundred eighty and two years, and begat sons and daughters: And all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred sixty and nine years: and he died. And Lamech lived an hundred eighty and two years, and begat a son: And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the Lord hath cursed. And Lamech lived after he begat Noah five hundred ninety and five years, and begat sons and daughters: And all the days of Lamech were seven hundred seventy and seven years: and he died. And Noah was five hundred years old: and Noah begat Shem, Ham, and Japheth."

"And Noah was six hundred years old when the flood of waters was upon the earth."

782 years after Lamech was born, Methuselah died.

Noah was born when Lamech was 182 years old.

782 - 182 = 600. 600 years after Noah was born was the Flood.

600 years after Noah was born, Methuselah died.

bbryrd009 said: i vaguely recall some argument for Methuselah's death being later than Tim's timeline there, but i dont recall anything coming of it, and it's too far back for me to remember right...
M dying the same year as the flood, seems like more than a coincidence though, huh?

Backlit said: Hi Mark. There's an idea that the flood is a type of the second coming, that the fit and able will be chosen to go through the final plagues etc but remain protected as was Noah, while the elderly and the inform will be taken to their rest beforehand as was Noah's immediate predecessors. It wouldn't have been an easy time even though they were in a large boat... Storms are never easy. And it won't be easy in the coming crisis either... God is merciful.

Jones dictionary of names shows that Methuselah means "When he is dead, it shall be sent." So it is all probable that shortly after Methuselah did , the Flood came.

Status
Not open for further replies.