Methuselah - When did he die and why at that particular time

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Methuselah
Enoch was the father of Methuselah, who we have already mentioned. Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah.[8] Apparently, Enoch received the prophecy of the Great Flood, and was told that as long as his son was alive, the judgment of the flood would be withheld. The year that Methuselah died, the flood came.

Enoch, of course, never died: he was translated[9] (or, if you’ll excuse the expression, raptured). That’s how Methuselah can be the oldest man in the Bible, yet he died before his father!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Backlit said: Hi Mark. There's an idea that the flood is a type of the second coming, that the fit and able will be chosen to go through the final plagues etc but remain protected as was Noah, while the elderly and the inform will be taken to their rest beforehand as was Noah's immediate predecessors. It wouldn't have been an easy time even though they were in a large boat... Storms are never easy. And it won't be easy in the coming crisis either... God is merciful.

Those who are preserved unto the coming of the Lord will be those who are SPIRITUALLY FIT - Matthew 25: 1-13

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrew: מתוּשׁלח
Transliteration: methûshelach
Pronunciation: meth-oo-sheh'-lakh
Definition: From H4962 and H7973; man of a dart;
{Methushelach} an antediluvian patriarch: - Methuselah.
KJV Usage: Methuselah (6x).
Occurs: 6
In verses: 6
I wonder what this means,,,. Man of a dart?
That is one name I don't recall checking before. In other cases the meaning of the name has been quite significant. If this is, I am unable to see it. Do you have any ideas?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is one name I don't recall checking before. In other cases the meaning of the name has been quite significant. If this is, I am unable to see it. Do you have any ideas?
In the video I posted above Chuck explains his name means ( his death shall bring)

Reactions: amadeus

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Backlit said: Hi Mark. There's an idea that the flood is a type of the second coming, that the fit and able will be chosen to go through the final plagues etc but remain protected as was Noah, while the elderly and the inform will be taken to their rest beforehand as was Noah's immediate predecessors. It wouldn't have been an easy time even though they were in a large boat... Storms are never easy. And it won't be easy in the coming crisis either... God is merciful.

Those who are preserved unto the coming of the Lord will be those who are SPIRITUALLY FIT - Matthew 25: 1-13
In the coming crisis it will be physically challenging also. While some may be spiritually fit, they may also be aged and/or handicapped or infirm in some way, making their survival in a world of rioting, global civil unrest, war and persecution against a small remnant of believers, and the great need of physically fit young and able men and women to be traveling without public or private motorized transport to peach the gospel to the final generation, and the need to hide and live in wilderness places and live on sparse resources and natural medicines will greatly limit their older folk from being effective witnesses, and may likely even be a handicap to the church, which is why I believe that God will take them to their rest before that time.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Unnecessary and unedifying? Is that what you would call Bible studies and discussions about things in the scriptures which are to anyone fuzzy or blurry or dim or otherwise not clearly seen?
I was referring to some of the things said about Methuselah earlier. Here's one example: Timtofly said: If he had gotten on the ark, no one was turned away, as far as we know, he would have kept living. Nothing in Scripture claims Methuselah had to die at a certain year of life.

The fact that he lived for precisely 969 years means that he was destined to died BEFORE the Flood (which started in the same year that he died). God has a definite timespan for every person.

Something else to note:
In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened. (Gen 7:11)

Which would mean that Methuselah probably died in the first month of that year.

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the coming crisis it will be physically challenging also. While some may be spiritually fit, they may also be aged and/or handicapped or infirm in some way, making their survival in a world of rioting, global civil unrest, war and persecution against a small remnant of believers, and the great need of physically fit young and able men and women to be traveling without public or private motorized transport to peach the gospel to the final generation, and the need to hide and live in wilderness places and live on sparse resources and natural medicines will greatly limit their older folk from being effective witnesses, and may likely even be a handicap to the church, which is why I believe that God will take them to their rest before that time.

From a physical perspective = YES, Agree
Noah was preserved because of his faith and obedience to God that kept his temple pure from the pollution at that time.

Born into religion yet lost in sin
Needing a Savior was told would Win
God was calling while life was so fun
His Love so drawing i began to run
Not away to go further astray
But gathering me near i lost all fear
Tears of Joy ran down my face
Now i was in Him and winning the Race
A stumble hear a stumble there
His Love did not falter it remains here
Now i am old longing for Home
Waiting for His Return coming to the Dome
Do not delay Time is running out
Give God the Glory Before the Angels Shout
Hurry, Hurry now get in the Ark
for the day draws near when All will grow Dark.
Run to Him now, make swift your flight,
for when that Day Comes He will be your LIGHT
amen

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I also believe that Enoch, Methuselah, and others in a line from Adam down, kept the truth of creation, the fall, and a warning of the coming flood at the forefront of meme minds but the vast majority cost to ignore the warnings and continue in their sin. Adam lived for over 900 years and his testimony, as well as the still existing garden, would have been powerful evidence of the truth, yet went unheeded.

Reactions: Azim and amadeus

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I also believe that Enoch, Methuselah, and others in a line from Adam down, kept the truth of creation, the fall, and a warning of the coming flood at the forefront of meme minds but the vast majority cost to ignore the warnings and continue in their sin. Adam lived for over 900 years and his testimony, as well as the still existing garden, would have been powerful evidence of the truth, yet went unheeded.
Other than the fact that the Garden of Eden was probably removed from the earth shortly after the Fall (since it is now in Heaven and called "the Paradise of God") I would agree that all these men knew the truth and proclaimed it. We are living in similar times according to Christ, since the world is ignoring the warnings in Scripture, and the wickedness of mankind (particularly those in leadership and government) has increased exponentially.

Reactions: David in NJ

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Other than the fact that the Garden of Eden was probably removed from the earth shortly after the Fall (since it is now in Heaven and called "the Paradise of God") I would agree that all these men knew the truth and proclaimed it. We are living in similar times according to Christ, since the world is ignoring the warnings in Scripture, and the wickedness of mankind (particularly those in leadership and government) has increased exponentially.
The Garden of Eden ? well Adam and Eve were kicked out due to not being worthy of such.
Then we have the Vineyard story to think about.

One should know what Methuselah name means then it makes sense who he is and all.

I would think that the world was struck by an Asteroid of water and that was why no one lived so long after that point.
If the Earth was hit by a water asteroid then such would explain much as to why the big change in life did not live as long at all, some animals keep growing all their life ? I take it that spelt the end to many of our dinosaurs etc and the Mammoths that were found that had been snap frozen back in the days, now they said that the grass in their gut was green and fresh, so for something that big to be snap frozen it would take a water asteroid to do that. plus the poles is claimed to be turned around at the time, so the south was the north and the way that the climate would of been changed due to that as well, so were we once had lush green before, it then could of became dry.

If you look at the mountain ranges it looks like the world had did a 180 deg flip and earths crust folded corresponds to such like as the Continents and all got a big shove from one direction. it all explains many things, the huge washouts that have gouged out the land and all.

When Jesus said you will be with me in Paradise ? this points that the one who has faith in Jesus being the Christ is worthy of a position of Paradise, in the Garden ? such a one is not in Heaven, but worthy.

A person who is truly born again is in the Kingdom of God ? that being like as to the parable of the Vineyard and Gods true as people who will respect God and not of they who the story points out are with no regard to God and killed all of Gods Prophets and then demanded Jesus be dealt with as they cunningly planed. but they got vomited out of the Vineyard for killing Gods Son. so the Land does vomit out all such people who reject God as the Bible points out.
So one abides with God or you don't, if we don't then you are a Marked Man.

Reactions: David in NJ

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Garden of Eden ? well Adam and Eve were kicked out due to not being worthy of such.
Then we have the Vineyard story to think about.

One should know what Methuselah name means then it makes sense who he is and all.

I would think that the world was struck by an Asteroid of water and that was why no one lived so long after that point.
If the Earth was hit by a water asteroid then such would explain much as to why the big change in life did not live as long at all, some animals keep growing all their life ? I take it that spelt the end to many of our dinosaurs etc and the Mammoths that were found that had been snap frozen back in the days, now they said that the grass in their gut was green and fresh, so for something that big to be snap frozen it would take a water asteroid to do that. plus the poles is claimed to be turned around at the time, so the south was the north and the way that the climate would of been changed due to that as well, so were we once had lush green before, it then could of became dry.

If you look at the mountain ranges it looks like the world had did a 180 deg flip and earths crust folded corresponds to such like as the Continents and all got a big shove from one direction. it all explains many things, the huge washouts that have gouged out the land and all.

When Jesus said you will be with me in Paradise ? this points that the one who has faith in Jesus being the Christ is worthy of a position of Paradise, in the Garden ? such a one is not in Heaven, but worthy.

A person who is truly born again is in the Kingdom of God ? that being like as to the parable of the Vineyard and Gods true as people who will respect God and not of they who the story points out are with no regard to God and killed all of Gods Prophets and then demanded Jesus be dealt with as they cunningly planed. but they got vomited out of the Vineyard for killing Gods Son. so the Land does vomit out all such people who reject God as the Bible points out.
So one abides with God or you don't, if we don't then you are a Marked Man.

Well said Brother and very refreshing - Thank You

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Methuselah - When did he die and why at that particular time.
OP ^

When did Methuselah die? I would say Before Noah entered the ark.
Which Noah entered the ark 7 days before the rain started.
- A time, not working on the completed ark...
- A time, for Noah mourning death of righteous family members?
- A time, of 7 prepared, for the lifting up off the face of the earth?
-A time parallel to the prepared, lifted up before the 7 of the trib?
-Speculation of when and why, but for sure, according to Gods will for good.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the video I posted above Chuck explains his name means ( his death shall bring)
Yes I listened to the video later after reading and responding to some of the posts. Mostly that video and your responses here have instigated in me the incentive to look deeper. I have gone back to some of my old studies and worked on it for a while this morning before starting in here. Hopefully God will give me some increase from it.

Reactions: Taken

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was referring to some of the things said about Methuselah earlier. Here's one example: Timtofly said: If he had gotten on the ark, no one was turned away, as far as we know, he would have kept living. Nothing in Scripture claims Methuselah had to die at a certain year of life.

The fact that he lived for precisely 969 years means that he was destined to died BEFORE the Flood (which started in the same year that he died). God has a definite timespan for every person.

Yes, the time allotted to us. I am reminded of King Hezekiah who being told by a prophet that he was to die forthwith, went into prayer and asked God for extension. It was granted and 15 years were added. I have always thought that he would have been better off to simply accept what he has been told... but in spite of being one of he best kings according to the scriptures, he too was a fallible man. Have any of us ever asked God for something a bit too much on the selfish side? I wish I could say that I never had.

Something else to note: In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened. (Gen 7:11)

Which would mean that Methuselah probably died in the first month of that year.
Yes that pins it down a bit.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, such a testimony as he had... but like our own descendants who too often it seems seldom follows the best advice of some who knows better and has had more first hand experience. They have to find out the hard way.

See what happened to the natural children of Israel when Joshua and all of the elders who had seen the wonders of God were gone from them

"And the people served the LORD all the days of Joshua, and all the days of the elders that outlived Joshua, who had seen all the great works of the LORD, that he did for Israel.
And Joshua, the son of Nun, the servant of the LORD, died, being an hundred and ten years old.
And they buried him in the border of his inheritance in Timnathheres, in the mount of Ephraim, on the north side of the hill Gaash.
And also all that generation were gathered unto their fathers: and there arose another generation after them, which knew not the LORD, nor yet the works which he had done for Israel.
And the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the LORD, and served Baalim:
And they forsook the LORD God of their fathers, which brought them out of the land of Egypt, and followed other gods, of the gods of the people that were round about them, and bowed themselves unto them, and provoked the LORD to anger." Judges 2:7-12

Reactions: Brakelite
Status
Not open for further replies.