"Milk" is Doctrine, "Meat" is.....?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you don't mean that you might read something in the Bible the normal way, but inside you just "know" it means something a little different? Or is that what you mean?

For me what it means is that there is a surface meaning to what is in the scripture, and then the Holy Ghost opens up the deeper meaning of the scripture. Are you familiar with PARDES, the Hebrew levels of scriptural interpretation? Although this is entirely a mental approach to scripture, the same depth of meaning is revealed by the Holy Ghost who teaches us.

But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. 1 Corinthians 2:20

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, using discernment from knowing the Word is pretty important, especially in the days ahead.
The way the church's "teach" today, it's like they want everyone to stay babies, sucking their thumbs, keeping them snug and cozy in their assurance of salvation.
Funny how so many will say to an unbelieving friend "it's simple, Just believe!" This walk is anything BUT simple! The message SHOULD be yet, I just cannot see all the infighting and crazy doctrines being tossed all over the place. The only SAFE way in my estimation is, stick to the scriptures and prayer....=discernment...

The Problem is two fold, the leaders like to keep the flock suckling on their milk, and the flock likes to suckle on the breast of the leaders.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
then our not yet able to bear the meat could possibly be that we are not yet able to bear His name.
I think you have something here.

Not being able to bear His Name, maybe not yet being able to let go of our own?

That passate, You shall not take the Name of the LORD in vain, God will not hold you guiltless if you do. People relate that to cursing and the like. I understand "take" is like "to take for one's self, to carry", and "in vain" is in an empty, meaningless way.

I find it a very interesting statement in the sense that we name the Name of Christ, calling ourself Christian, seeking forgiveness of sins. But God will not hold of guiltless if we take Christ's Name without meaning it.

Milk Doctrines are the first principles, what our salvation is, meat then is what we go on to do with our salvation, I think. Working it out.

Division, envy, and strife are NOT products of "milk doctrines", rather, milk doctrines are the only doctrines those who are in division, envy, and strife can handle. Milk doctrines are NOT intended to "keep people in division", that's absurd. That's reversing the flow of the passage.

Milk are the basic doctrines of Salvation that all believers know. This milk causes division as we see in the church today and throughout history, and this was and still is what God designed into the church so as to get them to move from milk to meat.

God's teaching is not the cause of division in the church. Fleshy Christians cause division. And fleshy Christians who reject sound teaching will continue to cause divisions.

And yes, we very much need God's discerment to tell us who is acting from envy and pride, and who is sharing God's Word. Because everybody says they are, but then say different things.

What does the Apostle tell us by way of an answer? All this divisiveness in doctrine? We're serving together, and if you destroy God's temple (create division between believers) God will destroy you.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me what it means is that there is a surface meaning to what is in the scripture, and then the Holy Ghost opens up the deeper meaning of the scripture.
Contrary to the way it's written?

Much love!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Milk are the basic doctrines of Salvation that all believers know.
are you sure? bc you talk like you’re sure, “Milk are…”
what if youre off, by even a little bit?

Few understand what the meat of the Word is or means. The writer of Hebrews equates the meat with the "word of righteousness" (Hebrews 5:12-13)
thats Paul, and wadr you are not gonna like it when i xlate that v for you i guess lol

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
For me what it means is that there is a surface meaning to what is in the scripture, and then the Holy Ghost opens up the deeper meaning of the scripture. Are you familiar with PARDES, the Hebrew levels of scriptural interpretation? Although this is entirely a mental approach to scripture, the same depth of meaning is revealed by the Holy Ghost who teaches us.

But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. 1 Corinthians 2:20
fwiw we’re tired of this manna, give us some meat to eat and even what is it? should lead one to a fuller understanding of meat and milk

id rather never eat meat again

Reactions: marks

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I think you have something here.

Not being able to bear His Name, maybe not yet being able to let go of our own?

That passate, You shall not take the Name of the LORD in vain, God will not hold you guiltless if you do. People relate that to cursing and the like. I understand "take" is like "to take for one's self, to carry", and "in vain" is in an empty, meaningless way.

I find it a very interesting statement in the sense that we name the Name of Christ, calling ourself Christian, seeking forgiveness of sins. But God will not hold of guiltless if we take Christ's Name without meaning it.
a much better reflection imo
Milk Doctrines are the first principles, what our salvation is, meat then is what we go on to do with our salvation, I think. Working it out.

Division, envy, and strife are NOT products of "milk doctrines", rather, milk doctrines are the only doctrines those who are in division, envy, and strife can handle. Milk doctrines are NOT intended to "keep people in division", that's absurd. That's reversing the flow of the passage.

God's teaching is not the cause of division in the church. Fleshy Christians cause division. And fleshy Christians who reject sound teaching will continue to cause divisions.

And yes, we very much need God's discerment to tell us who is acting from envy and pride, and who is sharing God's Word. Because everybody says they are, but then say different things.

What does the Apostle tell us by way of an answer? All this divisiveness in doctrine? We're serving together, and if you destroy God's temple (create division between believers) God will destroy you.

Much love!
seething a kid in its mother’s milk might also get a mention

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
milk—i dont know, i think this, it could be that, maybe its this?
meat—its like this, its like that, this is the truth, that is a lie

maybe?

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Contrary to the way it's written?

The "sod" meaning never contradicts the "Peshat" meaning of scripture.

Exactly my point here. So I agree with this.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
God's teaching is not the cause of division in the church
man, the one thing i miss about AFF is the lol emoji…anyway dont write that in stone just yet imo

For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "sod" meaning never contradicts the "Peshat" meaning of scripture.
I assume this is your way of agreeing that the true meaning of the Bible will NEVER contradict what it actually states. Not sure why you can't just give a "yes" or "no", unless you don't what to be pinned down.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
man, the one thing i miss about AFF is the lol emoji…anyway dont write that in stone just yet imo

For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow
LOL is right!

I think of that being in the person, but, yes, of course! Dividing between true and false, and fleshy and spiritual.

I was thinking more along the lines of turning people against each other, but that's not the only division, is it?

Much love!

Reactions: bbyrd009

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: 1 Peter 2:2

Milk are the basic doctrines of Salvation that all believers know. This milk causes division as we see in the church today and throughout history, and this was and still is what God designed into the church so as to get them to move from milk to meat.

Few understand what the meat of the Word is or means. The writer of Hebrews equates the meat with the "word of righteousness" (Hebrews 5:12-13)

The Word of Righteousness lays aside the divisions in the church (Which again are God ordained that we should learn to digest the meat of the Word), Which in turn will lead to the church being of one accord.

This process is outlined In Ephesians 4:11-16 Speaking of the "being tossed to and fro by the wind of doctrine" that so many in the Body of Christ experience especially on forums such as this when two sides are presented with strong arguments for and against them.

Again, these divisions are not a "Bad thing", but rather a part of our maturation.... they being God ordained. The Problem is many never grow beyond this milk of doctrine and the continual carnality that perpetuates these divisions, as the writer of Hebrews in the above verses complained about, and Paul complained about in 1 Corinthians 3:1-4.

What does the Meat of the Word mean to you and how does one begin to digest that meat?
Is there a certain realization or experience that moves us from Milk to meat? A condition in mankind that is prone to division that must be overcome? If so explain.

I Leave this open ended in order to show how there are various ways that we reach this point, and I Hope to get a range of answers here which we can then begin to see a commonality to them all.

how can we grow?

I thought it was imputed!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you don't mean that you might read something in the Bible the normal way, but inside you just "know" it means something a little different? Or is that what you mean?

Much love!
No...the hidden wisdom is when what was a mystery to you before is now easily seen in plain sight.
Example: I just read in Genesis 1 and for the 1st time I saw that God created light on 2 different days ..this made me have to meditate and research it deeper and from that a whole bunch of other hidden wisdom was found.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, using discernment from knowing the Word is pretty important, especially in the days ahead.
The way the church's "teach" today, it's like they want everyone to stay babies, sucking their thumbs, keeping them snug and cozy in their assurance of salvation.
Funny how so many will say to an unbelieving friend "it's simple, Just believe!" This walk is anything BUT simple! The message SHOULD be yet, I just cannot see all the infighting and crazy doctrines being tossed all over the place. The only SAFE way in my estimation is, stick to the scriptures and prayer....=discernment...
In the flesh, we are all dying.

In the Spirit, we should all always be growing!

However in too many organized churches and with too many designated ministers the main idea seems to be to keep the flock where they are for often effectively selfish reasons. Thus the end result for many of them will be stagnation and death.

Where is the help and encouragement needed to grow toward perfection? Is any pastor's personal life and family more important than his flock?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No...the hidden wisdom is when what was a mystery to you before is now easily seen in plain sight.
Example: I just read in Genesis 1 and for the 1st time I saw that God created light on 2 different days ..this made me have to meditate and research it deeper and from that a whole bunch of other hidden wisdom was found.
That's what I've found, amazing revelation that allows me to see what was written there all along! I LOVE it when that happens!

I've come to the conclusion that the truths of Scripture, if correctly understood, can be plainly expressed primarily with the words of Scripture itself.

That simplicity, and plain sight, these are real indicators to me when I'm on the right track.

Much love!

Reactions: Heart2Soul

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I assume this is your way of agreeing that the true meaning of the Bible will NEVER contradict what it actually states. Not sure why you can't just give a "yes" or "no", unless you don't what to be pinned down.

A person I deal with at work knows me one way, and a my wife knows me another way. They both know me as I am but my wife has a deeper understanding of who I am than my co worker. It is like that with the "deep things of God" as found in the word of God, there is an intimacy that grows as we Know Him more intimately and a depth of understanding that comes with that. We can read averse that at one point meant one thing to us but later takes on a deeper meaning in our life. The word of God, thus is a alive (Quick and Powerful) and reveals to us who God is not just mentally but intimately, and personally.

This is not a yes or no concept but one that we experience as we grow Spiritually. See parenthesis below....

And we know (eido, to perceive, to know with senses, intellect) that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know (ginosko, to know intimately, Jewish idiom for husband knowing wife) him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. (1 John 5:20)

Last edited:
Reactions: Heart2Soul

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how can we grow?

I thought it was imputed!

When we learn to trust in his imputed righteousness and not rely on our own own strength and will to be self righteous, is when we are filled with his righteousness and grow Spiritually. Spiritual growth is based directly on our intimacy and relationship with God.