Misunderstood Concepts--- Atonement

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a deep-dive into a conceptual pool. Hold your breath.

Sometimes, -maybe even ofttimes people get bogged down in the weeds along the shoreline-- and never even make it far enough to venture into the deep at all. They live in the marshlands, -in the swamp where things creep and crawl and slither and snake about. Where no one would really choose to live, yet so many do indeed dwell there ---the walking dead. Zombie apocalypse, only a semblance of being alive, not at all truly awake. If I was to tell their story it would be the stuff of night terrors. To depict it in art I would paint with Dante's brush. It's a living hell.

Unaware even, of their circumstance and plight, they plod along having been directed long ago by blind and yet trusted guides. And so the blind, lead the blind and both fall into a pit. That's where this story begins.

It hinges on a complete misunderstanding that takes them down a particular path.

• Love
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sometimes, -maybe even ofttimes people get bogged down in the weeds along the shoreline-- and never even make it far enough to venture into the deep at all. They live in the marshlands, -in the swamp where things creep and crawl and slither and snake about. Where no one would really choose to live, yet so many do indeed dwell there ---the walking dead. Zombie apocalypse, only a semblance of being alive, not at all truly awake. If I was to tell their story it would be the stuff of night terrors. To depict it in art I would paint with Dante's brush. It's a living hell.

Unaware even, of their circumstance and plight, they plod along having been directed long ago by blind and yet trusted guides. And so the blind, lead the blind and both fall into a pit. That's where this story begins.

It hinges on a complete misunderstanding that takes them down a particular path.

Well if people wish to learn doctrine from a movie, they unfortunately deserve where they fall.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well if people wish to learn doctrine from a movie, they unfortunately deserve where they fall.

Let me give you an example....

Do you understand the concept? It's not learning doctrine from a movie. The movie is an example of the consequences of misunderstanding a concept.

Thank you for providing yet another example of it in living color. Thank you for your service.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
****Edited your post in quote

Sometimes, -maybe even ofttimes people get bogged down in the weeds along the shoreline-- and never even make it far enough to venture into the deep at all. They live in the marshlands, -in the swamp where things creep and crawl and slither and snake about. Where no one would really choose to live, yet so many do indeed dwell there ---the walking dead. Zombie apocalypse, only a semblance of being alive, not at all truly awake.

I saw this movie.
I get the concept you are bringing forward.

Many believe the conceptual theologies of men based on what they think as opposed to what is actually said by God or done by men.

Hence we have the marshes of the many false doctrines based on these.

The younger jealous girl thought she saw something totally out of the realm for her age / experience of thinking and made an accusation based on it.

Today the many follow men that have done the same kind of thinking. If one gets enough to believe & follow this thinking does it make a cult ?

If it does make it cults to believe the doctrine of men, then a whole heap of people are on the broad way into the marsh ! We then have theologies against the truth of the word.

The walking dead.....in the marsh pulling them into the cesspool of the wages of sin.....death !

• Love
Reactions: Mr E

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
****Edited your post in quote

I saw this movie.
I get the concept you are bringing forward.

Many believe the conceptual theologies of men based on what they think as opposed to what is actually said by God or done by men.

Hence we have the marshes of the many false doctrines based on these.

The younger jealous girl thought she saw something totally out of the realm for her age / experience of thinking and made an accusation based on it.

Today the many follow men that have done the same kind of thinking. If one gets enough to believe & follow this thinking does it make a cult ?

If it does make it cults to believe the doctrine of men, then a whole heap of people are on the broad way into the marsh ! We then have theologies against the truth of the word.

The walking dead.....in the marsh pulling them into the cesspool of the wages of sin.....death !

Hello Lamb,

Yes, that's it. Denominations begin as ideas that become beliefs that become doctrine and dogma. These diverging paths often meander in their own way, yet end up at exactly the same destination. That swamp. We all have to make it through those marshlands before we can ever hope to dive into the deep. We are all -the walking dead- condemned to die in this place... each one of us must first walk a green mile.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me give you an example....

Do you understand the concept? It's not learning doctrine from a movie. The movie is an example of the consequences of misunderstanding a concept.

Thank you for providing yet another example of it in living color. Thank you for your service.
Well never having watched teh movie, I cannot speak to what it teaches on atonement. I do know way too many believers will take a movie and make it doctrine, instead of filtering what a movie says on a "Christian tenet" through the word of God.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well never having watched teh movie, I cannot speak to what it teaches on atonement. I do know way too many believers will take a movie and make it doctrine, instead of filtering what a movie says on a "Christian tenet" through the word of God.

Personally, I've never heard of any believers who "take a movie and make it doctrine." Do you have an example of someone who has done this? Which movie--and what doctrine came from it? I'd like to know how they would have done that, especially without using the filter of scripture.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is atonement?

Many Christians have a very Christianized understanding of the concept. They will most often relate the idea to something that might look a lot like reparations. Like someone (God) has a grievance that must be satisfied for some offense that has been committed and the offending party must reconcile the differences and make atonement for the wrong-doing.

We might call the offense-- "sin" in any form and so it is for sin that atonement must be made. --that's the basic premise.

I want to introduce a different way of looking at it all.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The New Testament atonement is the Blood Atonement, that is the New Covenant....found here : = The Cross of Christ.

Yes, that's as Christianized as one could get. It's the idea that the price had to be paid in blood. That God demanded death to atone for sin.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Yes, that's as Christianized as one could get. It's the idea that the price had to be paid in blood. That God demanded death to atone for sin.

Not just "death".
But the sacrifice of a certain sinless one., = Jesus THE Lord.

John 14:6

His death, is the Blood atonement, is the "new Covenant"... and "without the shedding of Blood" there is no forgiveness, or remission, of sin. '""""""""""

Welcome to "CHRISTianity".

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
According to the law. Let's not forget that part.

This is what you should not forget... @Mr E //

1.) "Christ has redeemed the born again, from the curse of the Law"..

2. ) "Christ is the END.... of the Law..... for righteousness, for everyone who BELIEVES".

3.) "God hath made JESUS.... to be SIN for us".

4.) "Jesus is the ONE TIME = eternal (Blood) Sacrifice for SIN".

= The Cross of Christ.

And never forget it..

And how did Jesus The Lord, accomplish that for the BORN AGAIN, (not the water baptized, fake, religious)?

How?

A.) "without the shedding of Blood, there is no remission, no forgiveness, of Sin"..

So, because JESUS, died, as the Blood Atonement, under the LAW.. (On The CROSS)....and rose again from the DEAD... the born again, are "made free from sin", because ..

=The born again are "not under the Law....but under Grace".

So, there is your REDEMPTION.

Its found here.. = The Cross of Christ.

John 14:6

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally, I've never heard of any believers who "take a movie and make it doctrine." Do you have an example of someone who has done this? Which movie--and what doctrine came from it? I'd like to know how they would have done that, especially without using the filter of scripture.
Then maybe I misundertstood why you posted the clip of this movie. So why did you under the title of misunderstanding the atonement?

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then maybe I misundertstood why you posted the clip of this movie. So why did you under the title of misunderstanding the atonement?

Did you watch the video (movie trailer)?

The entire premise of the movie is centered on a misunderstanding that occurred with horrific consequences. I’m glad that you confessed you don’t understand.

Seek to understand, and you might.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I often think and speak in conceptual terms. Always trying to see the bigger picture, always looking for archetypes-- the first form, from which everything else flows. And so it is with this in mind that I'll point back to the very first atonement. The first price paid.

With all stories, there are two told. Dual meanings and two distinct settings-- the physical, and that first form-- the spiritual. The physical is always an imperfect reflection or image of that higher place. We see and understand the concept best from the instructions of the Christ as taught by Jesus in story form-- parables.

But where is the parable of the first atonement? It's written in story form and in print, though few recognize it for what it is, but the tale is told of the beginning. The genesis of our story. His story.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I often think and speak in conceptual terms. Always trying to see the bigger picture, always looking for archetypes-- the first form, from which everything else flows. And so it is with this in mind that I'll point back to the very first atonement. The first price paid.

With all stories, there are two told. Dual meanings and two distinct settings-- the physical, and that first form-- the spiritual. The physical is always an imperfect reflection or image of that higher place. We see and understand the concept best from the instructions of the Christ as taught by Jesus in story form-- parables.

But where is the parable of the first atonement? It's written in story form and in print, though few recognize it for what it is, but the tale is told of the beginning. The genesis of our story. His story.

Well there you are @Waiting on him -- I've been waiting on you. I hadn't seen you in a while.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you watch the video (movie trailer)?

The entire premise of the movie is centered on a misunderstanding that occurred with horrific consequences. I’m glad that you confessed you don’t understand.

Seek to understand, and you might.
WEll as I wrote earlier, this is a trailer for a fictitious movie. Just like the left behind series of movies and books. If people form their doctrinal opinions from movies and books they are subject to be loaded with error as those who made the errors in producing th emovies.