Misunderstood Concepts--- Atonement

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure what you are asking here. God is apart from us. Or a better way of saying it-- we have been separated from Him. This speaks to the difference between spirit and flesh, the holy (set apart) from the corruptible. It's not so much an act, but a condition. It's positional.

Jesus came to illuminate this in a way that folks couldn't get their heads around. Their whole religious system was based on repeated sacrificial offerings as a means to atone for sins they repeatedly committed. Jesus demonstrated and explained it's not like that. It's not through religious rote that our relationship with the Father is established or restored. It's positional in that we have to go to Him. It's a condition we have to be healed from.
I guess the problem I’m having is,,, I’m reading that old scripture as God being the one that did the separating, but this doesn’t fit the character I’ve come too see portrayed by Jesus the image of the invisible God.

It’s as if Jesus is implying in the New Testament scriptures that it was man that separated themselves from God. It is God that is in Jesus reconciling Himself with man.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess the problem I’m having is,,, I’m reading that old scripture as God being the one that did the separating, but this doesn’t fit the character I’ve come too see portrayed by Jesus the image of the invisible God.

It’s as if Jesus is implying in the New Testament scriptures that it was man that separated themselves from God. It is God that is in Jesus reconciling Himself with man.

Okay, that helps me understand where you are coming from.

This is near the fire. I'll just tell you that much, right now. Lots of people want to warm their hands, or roast some chestnuts, but few want to walk with him, in it.

Forget Jesus for just a minute. Is Adam 'the image of the invisible God?'

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, that helps me understand where you are coming from.

This is near the fire. I'll just tell you that much, right now. Lots of people want to warm their hands, or roast some chestnuts, but few want to walk with him, in it.

Forget Jesus for just a minute. Is Adam 'the image of the invisible God?'
I believe Adam in an allegorical since is Jesus, and eve is the church of the first century, the woman. See I believe that the begging of Gods creation started with the first man born of God, the first to literally receive the Breath of Life was Jesus. Adam/ the man Jesus Christ.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe Adam in an allegorical since is Jesus, and eve is the church of the first century, the woman. See I believe that the begging of Gods creation started with the first man born of God, the first to literally receive the Breath of Life was Jesus. Adam/ the man Jesus Christ.

I'll invite you to flip all that around for the sake of logic and chronology, but you are on the right track.

Jesus is Adam in the same way that Adam is all men. It's not that Adam is Jesus, rather- Jesus is as Adam. Similarly, Eve is the body, the way the church is His body, so in this manner of speaking- "the church" is the woman.... Eve.

• Love
Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This three pounds of flesh between my ears is very limited. It was God that chose to separate Saul from his mother’s womb. So Saul doesn’t confer with flesh and blood, he flees into the outer regions away from the garden travails in birth waiting to give birth to this man child, that the serpent wishes to devour.
Saul is clothed with the Sun, and the moon is under his feet. I believe it was it was either three or three and a half years Paul is in the wilderness learning of Christ and growing into this perfect man Jesus Christ.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll invite you to flip all that around for the sake of logic and chronology, but you are on the right track.

Jesus is Adam in the same way that Adam is all men. It's not that Adam is Jesus, rather- Jesus is as Adam. Similarly, Eve is the body, the way the church is His body, so in this manner of speaking- "the church" is the woman.... Eve.
Yes and there is no gender or ethnicity in the body of Christ.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I can’t seem to flip it.. I’m not of full age yet. It’s like some of the placenta is still there?

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This three pounds of flesh between my ears is very limited. It was God that chose to separate Saul from his mother’s womb. So Saul doesn’t confer with flesh and blood, he flees into the outer regions away from the garden travails in birth waiting to give birth to this man child, that the serpent wishes to devour.
Saul is clothed with the Sun, and the moon is under his feet. I believe it was it was either three or three and a half years Paul is in the wilderness learning of Christ and growing into this perfect man Jesus Christ.

Yes, three years in the wilderness. And yes, pursued while carrying the Christ-child... it's always the same story, told in turn, in various ways through various people. Many stories, become one story. Rinse. Repeat. Can you hear me now?

The story known, though cast unborn
As from a Book, from pages torn
If then what will is known and still
Where do we find such that is Will?

A subject matter much debated
With answers great, and masticated
A simple truth might simply be...
The choices made of Will that's free
Do plant the seeds of all to be.

As story told, from symbols wrought
Of stones unturned, of dreams not sought
A choice is made from those then brought
From rainbow hues, of color not

Of food that's given, and hunger stayed
Of doors once locked, and keys then made
Of path that's walked, and price that's paid
Of faith thus kept, and doubt at bay

For though ones self be self assailed
The One does guide them to prevail

• Love
Reactions: Waiting on him

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a deep-dive into a conceptual pool. Hold your breath.

Sometimes, -maybe even ofttimes people get bogged down in the weeds along the shoreline-- and never even make it far enough to venture into the deep at all. They live in the marshlands, -in the swamp where things creep and crawl and slither and snake about. Where no one would really choose to live, yet so many do indeed dwell there ---the walking dead. Zombie apocalypse, only a semblance of being alive, not at all truly awake. If I was to tell their story it would be the stuff of night terrors. To depict it in art I would paint with Dante's brush. It's a living hell.

Unaware even, of their circumstance and plight, they plod along having been directed long ago by blind and yet trusted guides. And so the blind, lead the blind and both fall into a pit. That's where this story begins.

It hinges on a complete misunderstanding that takes them down a particular path.

Very late catching your opening post. The trailer was one of my favorite movies! YET I never considered the young’s girls misunderstanding that takes her down a particular path of destruction…all based off a misunderstanding. Now I’ll need to watch it again from another perspective!

Reactions: Mr E

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, three years in the wilderness. And yes, pursued while carrying the Christ-child... it's always the same story, told in turn, in various ways through various people. Many stories, become one story. Rinse. Repeat. Can you hear me now?

The story known, though cast unborn
As from a Book, from pages torn
If then what will is known and still
Where do we find such that is Will?

A subject matter much debated
With answers great, and masticated
A simple truth might simply be...
The choices made of Will that's free
Do plant the seeds of all to be.

As story told, from symbols wrought
Of stones unturned, of dreams not sought
A choice is made from those then brought
From rainbow hues, of color not

Of food that's given, and hunger stayed
Of doors once locked, and keys then made
Of path that's walked, and price that's paid
Of faith thus kept, and doubt at bay

For though ones self be self assailed
The One does guide them to prevail
When I view the crucifixion, I no longer see a covering rather an uncovering. It’s a removal of the veil.

• Love
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I view the crucifixion, I no longer see a covering rather an uncovering. It’s a removal of the veil.

Fantastic. Beautiful. Then you are seeing more clearly than ever. For the atonement is made through death. That cross is our ticket to cross. Through that cross you become a follower.

“If anyone wants to become my follower, he must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of me will find it.

From the cross to the grave, from the grave to the sky.... Lord, I lift your name on high. You see, he didn't stay on the cross, though that's where he died. And though he was assigned a place with the dead, he didn't remain in the abode of the dead. He left this place-- uncovered. The grave clothes remained, and he returned home without them. When we can shed off our grave clothes as easily, we can follow him home. Our Father awaits the day with joyful anticipation.

• Love
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe wrapping this one up...

There was an offense. A breach of trust, that broke a relationship. A separation occurred and because of all this, a reconciliation and a restoration is needed.

The atonement covers the wrong. It is what protects us from what otherwise would separate us from Him forever. It's what provides a way back. And it's a path that leads to the cross, through the grave and back home. It's what Christ called- 'The Way' for any who might follow him.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What?