Modestly

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I strongly think basic modesty is important and Scriptural.

However, if it's lipstick you somehow have a problem with, we need just to remember that over 100 years ago it was associated with woman suffrage, and the activities of Elizabeth Arden, for example. "In 1912, Arden alongside 15,000 other suffragettes marched past her Red Door Salon in New York, all wearing red lipstick." smiiink dot com / internationalwomensday-red-lipsticks/ https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...arching_through_the_street_of_Washington.jpeg

For a very long time now, there have been many preachers' wives who would probably quietly say that they don't feel quite dressed unless they go to church making sure they have applied their lipstick.

I don't quite know what exactly the point being made is but presumably it is hard to deny objectively that some moderate amount of cosmetics are consistent with general principles of modesty among Christian women.
I do not have a problem with lipstick. I was pointing out cultural issues that vary over time.

B

Butterfly

This would make quite a good discussion, but there are just too many videos, I started listening to the last one- it's interesting, why can you not just put up one video and discuss that , why so many ?
I sadly have to go to work, so do not have time to add much today xx
I like what she says about shame verses guilt - where people lay things at your door and just leave it there, making you feel worthless
Also about the stumbling block, how women are told that they should not dress certain ways because it may cause someone else to sin - need to watch the video above to bring it in to context.
Rita

Reactions: farouk

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something that irks me is the marketing of provocative clothing to young girls and I'm speaking of preteen and younger. Adults should be expected to have a sense of protection and desire to preserve the safety and innocence of children and not to exploit them. Sometimes it looks like young girls are being groomed by brothel owners. The type of apparel worn reflects the moral issues of a society or lack there of. I think many just suspend their good judgment and follow the fashion trends and where is that going to lead?

Reactions: CoreIssue

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This would make quite a good discussion, but there are just too many videos, I started listening to the last one- it's interesting, why can you not just put up one video and discuss that , why so many ?
I sadly have to go to work, so do not have time to add much today xx
I like what she says about shame verses guilt - where people lay things at your door and just leave it there, making you feel worthless
Also about the stumbling block, how women are told that they should not dress certain ways because it may cause someone else to sin - need to watch the video above to bring it in to context.
Rita
Each video presents a different aspect of the total issue.

The Bible does not present a 1 to 3 answer.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something that irks me is the marketing of provocative clothing to young girls and I'm speaking of preteen and younger. Adults should be expected to have a sense of protection and desire to preserve the safety and innocence of children and not to exploit them. Sometimes it looks like young girls are being groomed by brothel owners. The type of apparel worn reflects the moral issues of a society or lack there of. I think many just suspend their good judgment and follow the fashion trends and where is that going to lead?
What is also interesting is to see how the mothers dress many times. It is like they are trying to recapture their youthful sex appeal through their daughters.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That can be the thing with both genders. The thing is all men need to show just women in general respect, honor & that they are appreciated and valued for their femininity at any age. Men without recognizing it respond differently to an attractive woman and I'm not speaking in an inappropriate way. Women over a certain age often complain about being treated as if they are invisible and that should not be the case.

Reactions: marks

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me also explain, I'm not referring to parents exploiting children, I'm speaking of the modern culture in general, the fashion industry in general that designs the clothing & magazines. I just feel as adults we could wield our influence in a positive way as consumers, requesting nice clothing that is still cute but that is age appropriate.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That can be the thing with both genders. The thing is all men need to show just women in general respect, honor & that they are appreciated and valued for their femininity at any age. Men without recognizing it respond differently to an attractive woman and I'm not speaking in an inappropriate way. Women over a certain age often complain about being treated as if they are invisible and that should not be the case.
I fully agree.

The issues with males are brought up in some of the videos.

Male and female are different.

Biblically men are attracted to women and women to men. Men are to be the leaders in such relationship and hold a greater responsibility.

Women are more vulnerable. Women can get pregnant, men cannot.

So while there is a burden placed on both sexes, it is greater in women in worldly terms. Not in spiritual terms.

Modern claims men and women are equal in all things is simply bogus.

Women are superior in certain ways. Men and others.
As when my wife became pregnant I fell apart. She was our strength.

Same when I proposed. I was a nervous wreck. She basically had an it took you long enough attitude.

We do not even think alike.

Reactions: Pearl and tzcho2

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think a lot of Christian women - and some men – feel that it is unacceptable to ‘adorn’ themselves with jewellery, make up or tattoos and even brightly coloured clothes.

They seem to think that dowdiness is part and parcel of being a good Christian woman. I was one who was taught to think that way and some of the old photos of me in my early days as a Christian make me cringe. But, I’m glad to say, I’m free of all that nonsense now and am free to look gorgeous. lol

I’m a daughter of the King and now believe that the way I look should reflect that status. Obviously that’s not saying we all have to look the same, we are individuals with individual likes and dislikes so if someone likes to show off a tattoo that’s ok as long as it is tasteful, just as it is ok to wear dangly earrings and sequins and red dresses.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I fully agree.

The issues with males are brought up in some of the videos.

Male and female are different.

Biblically men are attracted to women and women to men. Men are to be the leaders in such relationship and hold a greater responsibility.

Women are more vulnerable. Women can get pregnant, men cannot.

So while there is a burden placed on both sexes, it is greater in women in worldly terms. Not in spiritual terms.

Modern claims men and women are equal in all things is simply bogus.

Women are superior in certain ways. Men and others.
As when my wife became pregnant I fell apart. She was our strength.

Same when I proposed. I was a nervous wreck. She basically had an it took you long enough attitude.

We do not even think alike.

"Modern claims men and women are equal in all things is simply bogus."
I have a book describing how male and female brains are 'wired' differently. It's very interesting.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think a lot of Christian women - and some men – feel that it is unacceptable to ‘adorn’ themselves with jewellery, make up or tattoos and even brightly coloured clothes.

They seem to think that dowdiness is part and parcel of being a good Christian woman. I was one who was taught to think that way and some of the old photos of me in my early days as a Christian make me cringe. But, I’m glad to say, I’m free of all that nonsense now and am free to gorgeous. lol

I’m a daughter of the King and now believe that the way I look should reflect that status. Obviously that’s not saying we all have to look the same, we are individuals with individual likes and dislikes so if someone likes to show off a tattoo that’s ok as long as it is tasteful, just as it is ok to wear dangly earrings and sequins and red dresses.
I think there are extremes on both ends and both miss the wisdom & guidance of the scripture.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Good point; balance is important, and the need to concentrate on the inward and spiritual rather than the outward.
Are we talking about Christians here
I think there are extremes on both ends and both miss the wisdom & guidance of the scripture.
Are we talking about Christians missing the wisdom and guidance of scripture?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Are we talking about Christians here

Are we talking about Christians missing the wisdom and guidance of scripture?
My post was a response, so I'm not sure what was in the mind of the poster to which the response was given. In the end it would be about making the behaviour and deportment match the profession, I suppose.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My post was a response, so I'm not sure what was in the mind of the poster to which the response was given. In the end it would be about making the behaviour and deportment match the profession, I suppose.
My reply was meant for t2 but it got put in the wrong place. Sorry about that farouk.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Sensible thoughts.

Reactions: Pearl

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 John 5:19 "And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness."

Ephesians 2:2 "Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:"

I think they are being groomed.

Much love, but in heaviness!
Mark