Mom broke her hip

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Good idea to order those milkshakes....she needs to get the proper nutrients ,vitamins inside her, so that her strength will get built up...xx

Reactions: Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good idea to order those milkshakes....she needs to get the proper nutrients ,vitamins inside her, so that her strength will get built up...xx
Yes, I agree. I've always given her multivitamins and minerals plus vitamin D. And a Calcium chew which she doesn't like to eat. However, now she has more difficulty swallowing the multivitamin....so I cut it up into fourths for her yesterday.

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I agree. I've always given her multivitamins and minerals plus vitamin D. And a Calcium chew which she doesn't like to eat. However, now she has more difficulty swallowing the multivitamin....so I cut it up into fourths for her yesterday.
What a “ Darling “ Of a Daughter you are...Praise God that he blessed her with you!!

Have you any siblings ,Debp? Xx

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What a “ Darling “ Of a Daughter you are...Praise God that he blessed her with you!!

Have you any siblings ,Debp? Xx
Thanks Rita.

I'm an only child. And we have no family in California.

Only have some cousins that live in various States. Most of them I never met and they are younger than me.

How is your mother doing now? I prayed for your mom to be healed of the broken hip. I'm also praying for everyone around you and your mother to be well.
Please pray the physical therapist will be able to get her standing eventually....even if it's just to use the portable commode with my help. Right now I change her diapers.... she's bed bound.

Thanks for asking.

• Sad
Reactions: Lambano and TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Depp,
You mean she has a potential Bedsore and they didn’t tell you !!!!!!!
Wow the fact that she has one is bad enough, sure hope it’s healing okay x
I was thinking the same thing. Seems really irresponsible not to let Deb know. :(

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was thinking the same thing. Seems really irresponsible not to let Deb know. :(
@Rita About that huge bandage that the physical therapist thought might cover a bedsore. When the home care nurse that assessed mom removed it, she saw a tiny hole. That is now a tiny slit....but it doesn't look infected or anything.

Would that tiny hole or slit be considered a bedsore? Or does it need to be an open sore?

Mom ate her waffle and strip of bacon for late breakfast. But her latest meal, she left most of it (small thin beef patty with gravy and rice). So I gave her a small scoop of cottage cheese and a slice of bacon which she ate.

I know if she doesn't eat, she won't have the strength to stand up.

Medicare pays for either 60 or 120 days of home care. They only cover intermittent home care.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Rita About that huge bandage that the physical therapist thought might cover a bedsore. When the home care nurse that assessed mom removed it, she saw a tiny hole. That is now a tiny slit....but it doesn't look infected or anything.

Would that tiny hole or slit be considered a bedsore? Or does it need to be an open sore?

Mom ate her waffle and strip of bacon for late breakfast. But her latest meal, she left most of it (small thin beef patty with gravy and rice). So I gave her a small scoop of cottage cheese and a slice of bacon which she ate.

I know if she doesn't eat, she won't have the strength to stand up.

Medicare pays for either 60 or 120 days of home care. They only cover intermittent home care.
Hi Depp
it’s difficult to tell without seeing it or knowing how it was when she was in the hospital. The fact that it was quite small is reassuring, but any hole or break in the skin with elderly bedridden people does need to be watched.
Is the home care nurse coming in this week, if she is I would ask her to re check It. I am not a nurse, I only know that bed sores need to be monitored and dealt with to prevent them getting worse. If you go online you would be able to find pictures of bedsores at different stages, that might help to determine what you are dealing with, also there might be advice on how to help it to heal.
xxxxxx

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the home care nurse coming in this week
Actually only the physical therapist and the occupational therapist are coming now.

The nurse comes at the beginning to assess a patient and she will come back at the end of mom's treatment....the time allowed by Medicare.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don’t know how things work over there, but do you have local Dr Surgeries that you are linked to, someone you can perhaps ring for advice if it does get any worse. Over here we can get phone app and send in photos if something needs looking at. The surgeries usually have nurses ect that can give advice

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t know how things work over there, but do you have local Dr Surgeries that you are linked to, someone you can perhaps ring for advice if it does get any worse. Over here we can get phone app and send in photos if something needs looking at. The surgeries usually have nurses ect that can give advice
If it gets worse I can tell the home care agency. They would probably send the nurse back over.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Please pray the physical therapist will be able to get her standing eventually....even if it's just to use the portable commode with my help. Right now I change her diapers.... she's bed bound.
Lord you can see the situation that Debp is in with her beloved Mother, can you please give her strength to stand when the physical therapist helps her out of bed....at least show Debp that there is some improvement, even if it’s only tiny...in Jesus Name!..Amen!!xx

Debp, I am surprised you are allowed to change her diaper alone...especially with a broken hip, that is such hard work for you alone, we were never allowed to do that as a single carer, if they were bed bound.there. were always two of us changing the incontinent pad....same with hoisting.....if they could stand up and walk around then yes...of course you live in America, much different than the Uk rules.

How often do you have to change her diaper?...then you must be washing her as well...it just sounds crazy that you have been doing this “ ALONE”....you must be exhausted, as if you haven’t enough to do as it is....I wish I lived nearer I’d be there to help you.xxxx

Maybe Rita can offer more advice...I’ve been out of the care field for a number of years..sorry I haven’t read all of the posts, I’m about to do so,xxx

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I see Medicare, so, they are in control of her care needs..?

Can you appeal against their assessment?...as in they say it’s ok for you to change her diaper with a broken hip...I find that appalling having to do that on your own with no assistance.xx

Reactions: Debp and TLHKAJ

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lord you can see the situation that Debp is in with her beloved Mother, can you please give her strength to stand when the physical therapist helps her out of bed....at least show Debp that there is some improvement, even if it’s only tiny...in Jesus Name!..Amen!!xx

Debp, I am surprised you are allowed to change her diaper alone...especially with a broken hip, that is such hard work for you alone, we were never allowed to do that as a single carer, if they were bed bound.there. were always two of us changing the incontinent pad....same with hoisting.....if they could stand up and walk around then yes...of course you live in America, much different than the Uk rules.

How often do you have to change her diaper?...then you must be washing her as well...it just sounds crazy that you have been doing this “ ALONE”....you must be exhausted, as if you haven’t enough to do as it is....I wish I lived nearer I’d be there to help you.xxxx

Maybe Rita can offer more advice...I’ve been out of the care field for a number of years..sorry I haven’t read all of the posts, I’m about to do so,xxx
The physical therapist said mom can safely roll onto each side for the diaper changes. At first I wasn't having mom roll as far over as I do now so that was harder.

I usually do about three diaper changes a day. Some days ago I had to do five changes in one day and that was physically exhausting. This past day I did two so far but mom is fast asleep so I don't want to wake her to see if she needs changed.

Yes, I wash her off each time I do a diaper change.

Thankfully she has had two bowel movements when Peter the PT placed her on the portable commode. (She is eating little and doesn't seem to "go" while laying down.)

I see Medicare, so, they are in control of her care needs..?

Can you appeal against their assessment?...as in they say it’s ok for you to change her diaper with a broken hip...I find that appalling having to do that on your own with no assistance.xx

There's an old saying "you can't fight city hall".....well, you can't fight Medicare either.

Last time mom was in the hospital (2022) for 16 nights with a back fracture, Medicare refused to pay for 100 days of her blood glucose test strips.

I did two appeals. I told them she was only in the hospital for 16 nights...but they were refusing to pay for 100 days of test strips. That didn't make sense.

I lost both appeals. Thankfully CVS Pharmacy didn't bill me for the $165.... normally I pay about $17.

P.S. The surgeon said mom's surgery was successful. She has a rod inside the bone and screws.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The physical therapist said mom can safely roll onto each side for the diaper changes. At first I wasn't having mom roll as far over as I do now so that was harder.

I usually do about three diaper changes a day. Some days ago I had to do five changes in one day and that was physically exhausting. This past day I did two so far but mom is fast asleep so I don't want to wake her to see if she needs changed.

Yes, I wash her off each time I do a diaper change.

Thankfully she has had two bowel movements when Peter the PT placed her on the portable commode. (She is eating little and doesn't seem to "go" while laying down.)

There's an old saying "you can't fight city hall".....well, you can't fight Medicare either.

Last time mom was in the hospital (2022) for 16 nights with a back fracture, Medicare refused to pay for 100 days of her blood glucose test strips.

I did two appeals. I told them she was only in the hospital for 16 nights...but they were refusing to pay for 100 days of test strips. That didn't make sense.

I lost both appeals. Thankfully CVS Pharmacy didn't bill me for the $165.... normally I pay about $17.

P.S. The surgeon said mom's surgery was successful. She has a rod inside the bone and screws.
I tell you what Debp....maybe some of this Medicare rule makers....need to get into the real world, just like a lot of royalty/ politicians etc....I bet they have “ NEVER” changed a diaper in their life...let alone picked up a Hoover...even put their hand down a toilet and cleaned it!!

Sorry Sis, I just feel angry that you are struggling with all this diaper changes as if your day isn’t packed enough....is mum sleeping at night?..are you getting enough sleep?

Constantly both in my thoughts and prayers, xx

• Love
Reactions: Rita and Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tell you what Debp....maybe some of this Medicare rule makers....need to get into the real world, just like a lot of royalty/ politicians etc....I bet they have “ NEVER” changed a diaper in their life...let alone picked up a Hoover...even put their hand down a toilet and cleaned it!!

Sorry Sis, I just feel angry that you are struggling with all this diaper changes as if your day isn’t packed enough....is mum sleeping at night?..are you getting enough sleep?

Constantly both in my thoughts and prayers, xx
Thanks for your concern and prayers.

Yes, she is sleeping soundly. Once I turn in (shortly) I will fall asleep.

I often meditate on the verse "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee, because he trusts in Thee." I do have peace in mind and heart, thank God.

Btw, people (even illegal migrants) that have zero dollars are placed on Medi-Cal by the State of California. They get everything for free. Besides getting all sorts of help for free, they even get people to cook and clean for them for free....all paid for by the State. Diapers, etc, all free.

My mom is on low income but I always had her on my bank account because if I died first, I wanted her to be able to write a rent check until she could get help. So she doesn't qualify for Medi-Cal.

So I am paying for 20% of her doctor bills, will pay $1600 plus for the hospital deductible...and Lord knows how much the hip surgery will be. Going a day at a time with God's help.

About the $1600 plus deductible, I'll see if the hospital charity would help her about that.

Her hospital visit in 2022, that different hospital kept sending the $1559 deductible bill to Boulevard instead of our address...so we never got a bill from them until now. Their charity wants you to jump through hoops for help so it's not worth the stress.

Still this is the day the Lord has made.... rejoice and be glad in it.

• Love

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Btw, people (even illegal migrants) that have zero dollars are placed on Medi-Cal by the State of California. They get everything for free. Besides getting all sorts of help for free, they even get people to cook and clean for them for free....all paid for by the State. Diapers, etc, all free.
Yup!!...same here..makes me wonder why we worked all those years.

They live off the taxpayers money and boy do they milk the system...

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Update...the physical therapist thinks the occupational therapist can try transferring mom to the portable commode. He thinks moms legs are getting stronger, thank God.

The OT comes on Wednesday so we will see what she thinks.

Reactions: Ritajanice and Rita

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Update...the physical therapist thinks the occupational therapist can try transferring mom to the portable commode. He thinks moms legs are getting stronger, thank God.

The OT comes on Wednesday so we will see what she thinks.
That sounds promising Depp - would be so much easier if there is a way of your mum getting up and sitting on the commode, although this is still hard work for you until your mum can help herself get up.