Most accurate modern translation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 18:11 isn't entirely missing from translations other than the KJV and NKJV. It's there in a lot of them but with a footnote or bracket indicating other versions include it. The MEV has it without qualification.

Bible Hub Matthew 18:11

Last edited:

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very strange comment - I find both doctrines in my NIV.
There is not one verse that says Jesus is God the Son. Nor has there ever been a teaching on it anywhere in the Bible. The Jews never saw it anywhere in the entire Old Testament nor anyone in the New Testament ever taught it. The Catholics who invented this nonsense have used only about 8 verses that they have to piece together from statements that are scattered all over the New Testament. One should think if such nonsense was true and important that it would have been taught by someone. And it is not. Only in the minds of Catholics who cannot explain it.

There's also no Scripture on an everlasting torturing hot burning place for humans. There's only a lake of fire where folks get burned up. If you're finding such concepts in the NIV. Well, then I rest my case.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How exactly are you a Christian if you don't believe in the deity of Jesus?
It does indeed worry me that so many who say they are Christian have no idea who Jesus is. I have friends who wonder if you can even be saved if you don't know who Jesus is. There is not one verse that says Jesus is God the Son. Nor has there ever been a teaching on it anywhere in the Bible. The Jews never saw it anywhere in the entire Old Testament nor anyone in the New Testament ever taught it. The Catholics who invented this nonsense have used only about 8 verses that they have to piece together from statements that are scattered all over the New Testament. One should think if such nonsense was true and important that it would have been taught by someone. And it is not. Only in the minds of Catholics who cannot explain it.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I 'cut my teeth' with the KJV! The KJV loudly proclaims Jesus is God and Hell fire is everlasting.
I find no Scripture on an everlasting torturing hot place for humans. Only a lake of fire where folks are burned up. I also find no Scripture that says Jesus is God the Son. Nor has there ever been a teaching on it anywhere in the Bible. The Jews never saw it anywhere in the entire Old Testament nor anyone in the New Testament ever taught it. The Catholics who invented this nonsense have used only about 8 verses that they have to piece together from statements that are scattered all over the New Testament. One should think if such nonsense was true and important that it would have been taught by someone. And it is not. Only in the minds of Catholics who cannot explain it.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All things doesn't mean all things?
It tells you right in the verse what the all things are. They are thrones, dominions, principalities and powers. Things that Christ will need to govern the body of Christ when he returns.

For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Maybe this will help. The wife asks her husband if there's any cookies left. He replies by telling her that your son ate all the cookies last nigh. The word "all" here does not mean little Johnny ate all the cookies in the world. The "all" in the above verse are thrones, dominions, principalities and powers.

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's interesting that people won't be open about what they think, and won't clarify the things they assert. When I studied concerning these "older is better" manuscripts, I learned that the 3 oldest that some seem to love so much have roughly a 75% agreement between them. That doesn't give me much confidence! Meanwhile the MMS collection shows what, like, 99.5% agreement across thousands of manuscripts and portions?

One of these "older is better" manuscripts shows 10 correctors, corrections of corrections, again, if I'm remembering right. It was some years ago I was looking at this. Again, not to confidence inspiring. And then there was the Wescott/Hort influence. I'm good with the TR, or MMS.

Much love!
Precisely why the NIV stands for "Not Inspired Version"

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find no Scripture on an everlasting torturing hot place for humans. Only a lake of fire where folks are burned up. I also find no Scripture that says Jesus is God the Son. Nor has there ever been a teaching on it anywhere in the Bible. The Jews never saw it anywhere in the entire Old Testament nor anyone in the New Testament ever taught it. The Catholics who invented this nonsense have used only about 8 verses that they have to piece together from statements that are scattered all over the New Testament. One should think if such nonsense was true and important that it would have been taught by someone. And it is not. Only in the minds of Catholics who cannot explain it.
Is Jesus God the Son?

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where do we start...? For me the divine name is an important factor in God’s word that through corrupted human tradition was lost to the world. By his name, the true God identified himself as a single entity who had no equals in any realm. (Exodus 20:1; Psalm 83:18)
The Jewish Shema, (Deut 6:4, often recited) identified the “one God” of the Jews, but somehow he was transformed into a completely different “god” by the time the RCC had finished modifying him to suit their adopted beliefs. Turning him into an entity with three heads was certainly NOT gleaned from Scripture....and not a god that Jesus or his apostles were even acquainted with. (1 Cor 8:5-6)

How did the Bible translators accomplish this travesty of changing the very nature of God? The question is, how long had this ‘new god’ been in existence when English translations came to be published?
How did the words of John 1:1 come to mean something they never said? The translators omitted a very small word that changed the meaning of “theos” into “God” with a capital “G”.
Read in Greek, John 1:1 does not say what the English translations, influenced by the RCC’s portrayal of God, convey.
The nameless God of the Jews was identified with the definite article “ho” meaning “THE GOD” as there was no word in Greek that described a god with no name, so calling him simply “The God” when he and his son were mentioned together identified “the God” from “a god” or “divine” one. “Theos” in Greek according to Strongs means....

“a god or goddess, a general name of deities or divinities.....
So any divine person, god or goddess, can be called “theos” in Greek.
This word......
  1. refers to the things of God
  2. his counsels, interests, things due to him
  3. whatever can in any respect be likened unto God, or resemble him in any way
    1. God's representative or viceregent
      1. of magistrates and judges”

So how the church bypassed all those definitions to arrive at their three headed god is a mystery unless you understand why they did it....and who was behind this false concept.

If God’s name had still been in use, John 1:1 would have read...
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Yahweh and the Word was divine.”
See how easily a misrepresentation can become a doctrine?...and a foundational one at that!

I have never done that....so if you look carefully at scripture, it is the minority who stayed faithful to God while the majority were led away from him by humans influenced by the devil.
“There is nothing new under the sun”, Solomon said.....and he was right...the majority view is never the right one. (Matt 7:13-14).....satan has the majority....but God has the stoic faithful minority who were going to face the same treatment that Jesus and his apostles endured. (John 15:18-21)

Looking for ‘the hidden codes’ in the Bible would of course be the devil’s playground. If you want to play in that sand box, that is entirely your choice. Who really cares about what men think? I care only about what God thinks, as it is portrayed in his word. I don’t need to look for what might be the product of someone’s vivid imagination. Keeping things simple is the key. The Bible’s message is refreshingly simple.

But you cannot see room for error in your own understanding of scripture? Why not?

Deduction often works if there is enough Scripture to back up what is stated. The virgin birth is one of those instances, where Mary and Joseph were clearly not married at the time Jesus was conceived and Joseph’s response to the news initially was to “divorce her secretly” so as to protect her reputation and character, which he knew was beyond reproach.....it was God who told him in a dream that Mary’s child was the product of God’s spirit, not infidelity, so he then was confident to take her as a wife.

Back in those times of arranged marriages, a betrothal was as good as a marriage in terms of commitment. There was no official ceremony but the groom would go to the home of his bride, dressed for the occasion and take her to her new home, often just a room built onto his parents house, or if he was wealthy to a new home altogether. Friends and neighbors would line the route and wish them well in their new marriage.

Wealthy ones could afford a marriage feast....Jesus and his mother were invited to one where he performed his first miracle.

I see that the Bible explains itself if we do not have doctrines in the way that colour our view of what the Bible says in its entirety....it is after all, one story with one author, so we need to read the whole book and take notes about these things if we do not have a good source of accurate information.
Seriously though, God has always provided teachers for his people....Jesus did too....we just have to find them....God helps the genuine ones to do that...those humble enough to cop the flack that goes with being a true disciple. (John 6:44; 65)
Is Jesus God?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is Jesus God the Son?
Much of the Roman Catholic doctrine was assimilated into Protestantism and is still being passed along as Christian groups continue to split off from one another. In a nutshell that is why even the independent church in your neighborhood today most probably believes that there is a trinity, dead people are alive, God is in control of everything that happens, the Four Gospels are written to Christians, and water baptism is relevant. And then there's everything that you know about our sin nature was taught to you by them.

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Much of the Roman Catholic doctrine was assimilated into Protestantism and is still being passed along as Christian groups continue to split off from one another. In a nutshell that is why even the independent church in your neighborhood today most probably believes that there is a trinity, dead people are alive, God is in control of everything that happens, the Four Gospels are written to Christians, and water baptism is relevant. And then there's everything that you know about our sin nature was taught to you by them.
Are you watchtower?
If not, who you do you identify with?

Last edited:

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So we have ;
Jesus as a prophet or some entity without diety?
Water baptism as a fluke?
God the Father, God the Son, And God the Holy Spirit as heresy?
The Gospels Not written to believers? Not relevant?
No sin nature expressed in Romans?

I think watchtower teaches exactly that doctrine.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find no Scripture on an everlasting torturing hot place for humans. Only a lake of fire where folks are burned up.
Seriously?

Matthew 25:41 KJV
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
I also find no Scripture that says Jesus is God the Son.
It's getting difficult to take you seriously!

John 20:28-29 (KJV)
28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It tells you right in the verse what the all things are. They are thrones, dominions, principalities and powers. Things that Christ will need to govern the body of Christ when he returns.

For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Maybe this will help. The wife asks her husband if there's any cookies left. He replies by telling her that your son ate all the cookies last nigh. The word "all" here does not mean little Johnny ate all the cookies in the world. The "all" in the above verse are thrones, dominions, principalities and powers.
ONLY God is the Creator in the Bible. KJV clearly teaches Jesus is God the Creator!

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ONLY God is the Creator in the Bible. KJV clearly teaches Jesus is God the Creator!
Jesus created thrones, dominions, principalities and powers that he will need and he is not God. So yeah Jesus can create too.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus created thrones, dominions, principalities and powers that he will need and he is not God. So yeah Jesus can create too.
ONLY God is the Creator in the Bible. You just admitted that Jesus is God.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seriously?

Matthew 25:41 KJV
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:

It's getting difficult to take you seriously!

John 20:28-29 (KJV)
28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed:
The devil and his angels are not humans.

Many people were called gods in the Bible according to their culture. Kings and certainly one who was just raised from the dead would have been called a god.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So we have ;
Jesus as a prophet or some entity without diety?
Water baptism as a fluke?
God the Father, God the Son, And God the Holy Spirit as heresy?
The Gospels Not written to believers? Not relevant?
No sin nature expressed in Romans?

I think watchtower teaches exactly that doctrine.
It looks like you got it all correctly. Except for the watchtower. I don't know what they teach.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Very strange comment - I find both doctrines in my NIV.
I have studied the Scriptures carefully for over 50 years, and use many different translations to compare….but the one thing I insist on doing is reading the scriptures in context and in their original languages, translated by linguists and those who understand phraseology and the idioms of the time and culture.

I find neither in the scriptures......not even a hint of them that is not from suggestion or inference, which can be very persuasive to some. Those who don’t do their homework are at the mercy of many conflicting ‘experts’.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have studied the Scriptures carefully for over 50 years, and use many different translations to compare….but the one thing I insist on doing is reading the scriptures in context and in their original languages, translated by linguists and those who understand phraseology and the idioms of the time and culture.

I find neither in the scriptures......not even a hint of them that is not from suggestion or inference, which can be very persuasive to some. Those who don’t do their homework are at the mercy of many conflicting ‘experts’.
I too study Scripture carefully and use many different translations to compare... but the one thing I insist on doing is reading the scriptures in context understanding phraseology and the idioms of the time and culture. I also find neither in the scripture... not even a hint.

Reactions: Aunty Jane
Status
Not open for further replies.