Most accurate modern translation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Runningman

Dec 3, 2023
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What's the most accurate modern English translation of the bible? I'm currently reading KJV as I believe that to be the most accurate but I'd also like another bible that's just easier and modern English but accurate
The KJV contains a number of serious errors and translation issues, but has the advantage of doing a very good job at being more accurate about some things that other Bibles haven't been.

If you really just like the KJV, but want it without some of the serious errors the KJV has then I would have to recommend the English Revised Version. It's basically the KJV with numerous problems fixed.

If you like something with more modern English than the KJV, but still more of a literal style of translation, then I would recommend the Revised Standard Version.

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with this, if we correct the strong influence of feminists. I like the NRSVue because it is more theologically neutral, but very accurate. I like the translation of the OT because it strives to translate as the Jews in that day would have understood it, rather than read back into the OT, our Christian theology. I see the attacks on the KJV on this thread, so I suppose we must throw all of our older, standard Confessions in the trash because they were written in the same generation as the KJV. For accurate word study in the English, the 1885 RV or 1801 ASV is the best and most accurate. The main reason is because they sought to use the same English word for each Hebrew or Greek so you can do a more detailed word study in the English.

I dislike the numerous evangelical translations because they changed some verses to support the religious right movement of today. For instance, in Ex. 21:22 the 1977 NASB used "miscarriage" as historically understood; but the 1995 NASB changed that to "gives birth prematurely". Also, in 1 Cor. 6:9; the translations KJV, 1885 RV, 1901 ASV, and Young's Literal Translation render the hot-topic words as "effeminate" and the description of or single word of "sodomite". The word "effeminate" in no English dictionary I know gives a sexual relationship meaning; and it is nonsense to render the "sodomite" into the modern idea of homosexuality. Sodomite and homosexual are NOT synonymous.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which do you think is most accurate?

The are several that are more accurate and it depend what you are looking for.
NASB,ESV,NIV in the Study Bibles. I like some of the Sacred Names Bibles where they put the names of God the Father and God the Son back in the scriptures. Although I am not personally familiar with it I have colleagues that like the NRSV.

Last edited:
Reactions: jessicaleks93

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
New American Standard Study Bible NASB

The King James Version is the most error ridden Bible in print.
Examples? I'm cognizant of a few anomalies, but I still prefer the kjv and have used it for many years. I also compare scripture with the original language as well, i.e.; Greek via the Interlinear.

Runningman

Dec 3, 2023
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Examples? I'm cognizant of a few anomalies, but I still prefer the kjv and have used it for many years. I also compare scripture with the original language as well, i.e.; Greek via the Interlinear.
These are probably some of the biggest issues I've seen in the KJV. There are a number of smaller, less important, issues as well.

1 Corinthians 15:47
1 John 5:7
1 Timothy 3:16

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have several translations of the bible in English, but when I study for discern what I should see, I visit places like Bible Hub and Scripture4All - Greek/Hebrew interlinear Bible software to get an interlinear look. Despite all my personal effort, I still ask Yahweh my Father for the lesson to be learned. While I have preached from the KJV and the NASB, I avoid the KJV as it is too difficult for people to understand AND it has errors and additions that should not be in there.
The Bible is not the end of study, it is the beginning.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You have not compared enough......
Posts 18 and 19.....and 7

Last edited:

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like to use the King James, and the LITV, translated by J.P. Green. I like the NLT (second edition) when a passage seems particularly confusing, to help set some of the thoughts in order, then go back to the KJV for it's accuracy.

Much love!
yep
It don't get much better than that. I wore out 3 of greens interninears.

Reactions: marks

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The are several that are more accurate and it depend what you are looking for.
NASB,ESV,NIV in the Study Bibles. I like some of the Sacred Names Bibles where they put the names of God the Father and God the Son back in the scriptures. Although I am not personally familiar with it I have colleagues that like the NRSV.
You just put on display that you have no idea what you are talking about.
The NIV leaves out entire verses.
A homosexual was on the board of NIV translators.
The KJV is almost word for word with the Greek.
How did you get that so backwards?

Last edited:

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These are probably some of the biggest issues I've seen in the KJV. There are a number of smaller, less important, issues as well.

1 Corinthians 15:47
1 John 5:7
1 Timothy 3:16
...which are not even close to being issues at all

I looked them up in the Greek.
THEY Follow almost exactly with the KJV

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(16) John 8:1-11

KJV: The story of the Adulterous Woman brought before Christ

Reason: This is an addition and no part of it appears in older manuscripts.

(17) John 9:4

KJV: I must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; the night is coming when no one can work.

Discrepancy: Should be; We must work the works of Him who sent Me….

(18) Acts 8:37

KJV: And Philip said, "If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest." And he [the Eunuch] answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."

Discrepancy: This verse is an addition to the scriptures….not found in earlier manuscripts.

(19) Acts 9:5–6
KJV: And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
Discrepancy: The bolded part of this scripture is an addition and does not appear in the older manuscripts.

(20) Acts 15:34

KJV: Notwithstanding it pleased Silas to abide there still.
Discrepancy: This verse is an addition….not found in earlier manuscripts and is worded differently between newer manuscript. The bolded area is a modification to the scripture and does not appear in older manuscript.

(21) Acts 13:42

KJV: And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.

NASB: As Paul and Barnabas were going out, the people kept begging that these things might be spoken to them the next Sabbath.
Reasons: A modification to the scripture, removing the names of Paul and Barnabas and changing the present and past tense and adding the Gentiles into the scripture. Not in older manuscripts.

(22) Acts 15:34

KJV: Notwithstanding it pleased Silas to abide there still.
Discrepancy: This verse is an addition….not found in earlier manuscripts and is worded differently between newer manuscript.

(23) Acts 24:6–8

KJV: Who also hath gone about to profane the temple: whom we took, and would have judged according to our law. But the chief captain Lysias came upon us, and with great violence took him away out of our hands, Commanding his accusers to come unto thee: by examining of whom thyself mayest take knowledge of all these things, whereof we accuse him.
Discrepancy: This verse has been completely reworded but why? The meaning was not changed.

(24) Acts 28:29

KJV: And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, and had great reasoning among themselves.
Discrepany: This verse is an addition and does not appear in the older manuscripts.

(25 Romans 13:9
KJV:
For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not bear false witness,” “You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
Discrepancy: Although “You shall not bear false witness” was part of the Commandments…it was not part of this verse….it was added.

(26) Romans 16:24
KJV:
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
Reason: This verse occurs twice in the KJV in this chapter; once as the conclusion to verse 20 and again as verse. But both are an addition to the scriptures not occurring in older manuscripts.

(27) Colossians 1:14
KJV:
In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
Discrepancy: The KJV added the words “through his blood” to this scripture. Not in the earlier manuscripts.

(28) 1st Timothy 6:5
KJV:
useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.
Discrepancy:
“From such withdraw yourself” the KJV added this to the scripture. Does not appear in earlier manuscripts.

(29) 1st Peter 1:22
KJV: Ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit.
Discrepancy: “through the Spirit” was added by the KJV. Does not appear in the earlier manuscripts.

(30) Revelation 5:14
KJV:
And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.
Discrepany: Should read; And the four living creatures kept saying, “Amen.” And the elders fell down and worshiped. Him who lives for the ages and the ages.
The words “And the four and twenty” where added to the scripture and it does not appear in the earlier manuscripts. Part of this is a mis-translation.

(31) Revelation 21:24
KJV:
And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
Discrepancy: Should read; The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring glory and honor of the nations of them into it.
Are you saying the alexandrian text is your "older manuscript"?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just put on display that you have no idea what you are talking about.
The NIV leaves out entire verses.
A homosexual was on the board of NIV translators.
The KJV is almost word for word with the Greek.
How did you get that so backwards?

When you address me that way, you do not know what you are talking about.

The NIV leaves out entire verses. LOL This has been explained so many times.....are you dense?
The NIV leaves out verses that where not included in older manuscripts. In other words stuff that was added along the way. Is that what you call accurate?

And homosexuals....how do you know....did you sniff their crotches?

The KJV is not word for word by any means. It holds the record for errors.

Reactions: Spyder

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I beg to differ. I believe the KJV is one of the most accurate Bibles in print.
It was in the 17th century when it was created.

But... words shift in meaning over time, or become obsolete. It isn't that the translation is bad. It's that the English language itself has changed throughout the intervening centuries, and so the words from the older translations don't mean the same thing now that they did at the time of translation.

For example... the word Belief

Today, this word means that one finds something or someone credible.
In 1611, this word indicated eagerness to carry out orders or act on new knowledge.

These are not the same meaning.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: which 'version(s)'?

I believe God Gave me a choice in 1 Corinthians 14:33 AV:

"For God Is not the author of confusion..."
( over 100 new ↑ Differingsupposedly 'easier-to-read/understand' versions? )​

"...But of Peace..." (With One Pure/Preserved/Inspired/Profitable/Understandable Word Of Truth! )

Now, What Does God Want me to do With It? = Handling The Precious Word Of Life!

Amen.

Last edited: