Most Christians boldly proclaim "I know Him" but do NOT guard/keep His commandments!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
“He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him” (1 John
2:4). How plain and pointed is that language! How awful its clear intimation! Do you not see, dear reader, this
verse plainly implies that there are those who claim to know Christ, and yet are liars? The father of lies has
deceived them, and he is doing everything in his power to keep them from being undeceived. That is why the
unregenerate reader finds this article so unpalatable, and wishes to turn from it. O resist this inclination, we
beseech you. God has given us this very verse by which we may measure ourselves, and discover whether or not
our “assurance of salvation” will stand the test of His Holy Word. Then act not like the silly ostrich, which buries
his head in the sand, rather than face his danger.
Let us quote one more verse from this first “we know” passage in John’s Epistle: “But whoso keepeth His
Word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in Him” (1 John 2:5). This stands
in sharp contrast from the preceding verse. The Apostle was here moved to set before us some clear Scriptural
evidences of spiritual faith and love, within constitute the vital difference between sheep and goats. In verse 4 it
is the empty professor who says, “I know Christ as my personal Saviour.” He has a theoretical, but not a vital
knowledge of Him.

He boasts that he is resting on Christ’s finished work, and is confident that he is saved: but
keeps not His commandments. He is still a self-pleaser.
Like Solomon’s sluggard, he is “wiser in his own conceits
than seven men that can render a reason” (Prov. 26:16). He talks boldly, but walks carelessly.
In verse 5 it is the genuine Christian who is in view. He does not say, “I know Him,” instead, he proves it. The
Apostle is not here presenting Christ as the immediate Object of faith, but is describing him who has savingly
fled to the Lord for refuge, and this, by the effects produced. In him Christ’s Word is everything: his food, his
constant meditation, his chart. He “keeps” it in memory, in heart, in action. Christ’s “commandments” occupy his
thoughts and prayers as much as do His promises. That Word working in him subdues his carnal desires, feeds
his graces, and draws them into real exercise and action. That Word has such a place in his heart and mind that he
cannot but give proof of the same in his talk and walk. In this way the “love of God is perfected”: the Family
likeness is plainly stamped upon him. All can see to which “father” he belongs—contrast John 8:44.
“Whoso keepeth His Word . . . hereby (in this way) know we that we are in Him.” Keep His Word perfectly?
No. But actually, characteristically, in deep desire and honest effort to do so? Yes. Regeneration is that miracle of
Divine grace wrought in the soul which enlists the affections Godwards—which brings the human will into
subjection to the Divine—and which produces a real and radical change in the life. That change is from
worldliness to godliness, from disobedience to obedience. At the new birth the love of God is shed abroad in the
heart by the Holy Spirit, and that love is manifested in a dominating longing and sincere purpose to please in all
things the One who has plucked me as a brand from the burning. There is a greater difference between the
genuine Christian and the deceived professing Christian than there is between a living man and a corpse. None
need remain in doubt if they will honestly measure themselves by the Holy Word of God.
Pink.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him” (1 John
2:4). How plain and pointed is that language! How awful its clear intimation! Do you not see, dear reader, this
verse plainly implies that there are those who claim to know Christ, and yet are liars? The father of lies has
deceived them, and he is doing everything in his power to keep them from being undeceived. That is why the
unregenerate reader finds this article so unpalatable, and wishes to turn from it. O resist this inclination, we
beseech you. God has given us this very verse by which we may measure ourselves, and discover whether or not
our “assurance of salvation” will stand the test of His Holy Word. Then act not like the silly ostrich, which buries
Let us quote one more verse from this first “we know” passage in John’s Epistle: “But whoso keepeth His
Word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in Him” (1 John 2:5). This stands
in sharp contrast from the preceding verse. The Apostle was here moved to set before us some clear Scriptural
evidences of spiritual faith and love, within constitute the vital difference between sheep and goats. In verse 4 it
is the empty professor who says, “I know Christ as my personal Saviour.” He has a theoretical, but not a vital
knowledge of Him.

He boasts that he is resting on Christ’s finished work, and is confident that he is saved: but
than seven men that can render a reason” (Prov. 26:16). He talks boldly, but walks carelessly.
In verse 5 it is the genuine Christian who is in view. He does not say, “I know Him,” instead, he proves it. The
Apostle is not here presenting Christ as the immediate Object of faith, but is describing him who has savingly
fled to the Lord for refuge, and this, by the effects produced. In him Christ’s Word is everything: his food, his
constant meditation, his chart. He “keeps” it in memory, in heart, in action. Christ’s “commandments” occupy his
thoughts and prayers as much as do His promises. That Word working in him subdues his carnal desires, feeds
his graces, and draws them into real exercise and action. That Word has such a place in his heart and mind that he
cannot but give proof of the same in his talk and walk. In this way the “love of God is perfected”: the Family
likeness is plainly stamped upon him. All can see to which “father” he belongs—contrast John 8:44.
“Whoso keepeth His Word . . . hereby (in this way) know we that we are in Him.” Keep His Word perfectly?
No. But actually, characteristically, in deep desire and honest effort to do so? Yes. Regeneration is that miracle of
Divine grace wrought in the soul which enlists the affections Godwards—which brings the human will into
subjection to the Divine—and which produces a real and radical change in the life. That change is from
worldliness to godliness, from disobedience to obedience. At the new birth the love of God is shed abroad in the
heart by the Holy Spirit, and that love is manifested in a dominating longing and sincere purpose to please in all
things the One who has plucked me as a brand from the burning. There is a greater difference between the
genuine Christian and the deceived professing Christian than there is between a living man and a corpse. None
need remain in doubt if they will honestly measure themselves by the Holy Word of God.
Pink.

So very true Joe, none of us have the capability to observe them fully, however we are expected to try.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
So very true Joe, none of us have the capability to observe them fully, however we are expected to try.
There is still hope Robert, we are to crucify, once, and once for all, the "old man" and allow the indwelling Holy Spirit full reign in every sphere of our lives.
Johann

Reactions: GEN2REV

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
knowledge of Him.

Pink.

One function of the Law is to guard us from the pollutions of idols.

Obedience to the Law, specifically, observance of YHVH's appointed times, keeps us from spiritual adultery. It keeps us doing what YHVH says we should not do. Deuteronomy 12:28-32 tells us to NOT do what the pagans do to honor their gods and re-direct it to YHVH. It is an abomination.

Christmas features the tree erected for Tammuz. Easter uses the symbols of a Babylonian goddess. Sunday is the day honoring Sol Invictus.
Daniel 7:25

People can claim anything. What they do shows what they really believe. A person can submit to the authority of God's Law, or they can submit to the authority of pagan gods. Those are the only 2 possibilities.

It is not about keeping it perfectly. It is about choosing the correct things to keep.

One does not take a bat and glove to play football.

One should not take a Tammuz tree to the Temple.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
One function of the Law is to guard us from the pollutions of idols.

Obedience to the Law, specifically, observance of YHVH's appointed times, keeps us from spiritual adultery. It keeps us doing what YHVH says we should not do. Deuteronomy 12:28-32 tells us to NOT do what the pagans do to honor their gods and re-direct it to YHVH. It is an abomination.

Christmas features the tree erected for Tammuz. Easter uses the symbols of a Babylonian goddess. Sunday is the day honoring Sol Invictus.
Daniel 7:25

People can claim anything. What they do shows what they really believe. A person can submit to the authority of God's Law, or they can submit to the authority of pagan gods. Those are the only 2 possibilities.

It is not about keeping it perfectly. It is about choosing the correct things to keep.

One does not take a bat and glove to play football.

One should not take a Tammuz tree to the Temple.

Who said anything about obedience to the law/nomos/entole?

Are you able to keep it and the 613 laws perfectly?

..before you shout "yes"...you do not need a Saviour

Reactions: GEN2REV

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, your opening line is, “He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him” (1 John
2:4). His Commandments ARE the Law. Jesus didn't disagree with the Father, did He? John 12:49

You added, "How plain and pointed is that language!"

I need a Redeemer because I have sinned. There is nothing I can do to erase my sin. Romans 3:23-25

Having been forgiven of past sins is not a reason to continue in sin.

A person can choose to obey whomever they wish. Obeying the Law leads to righteousness. Obeying man-made laws leads to death. Romans 6:15

How can obeying the Commandments of the Father be a bad thing? You do realize that the Law is the story of Jesus, right? John 5:46 Luke 24:44

How many Christians obey every one of the laws they claim to have?

Is that how we are going to measure things now?

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Actually, your opening line is, “He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him” (1 John
2:4). His Commandments ARE the Law. Jesus didn't disagree with the Father, did He? John 12:49

You added, "How plain and pointed is that language!"

I need a Redeemer because I have sinned. There is nothing I can do to erase my sin. Romans 3:23-25

Having been forgiven of past sins is not a reason to continue in sin.

A person can choose to obey whomever they wish. Obeying the Law leads to righteousness. Obeying man-made laws leads to death. Romans 6:15

How can obeying the Commandments of the Father be a bad thing? You do realize that the Law is the story of Jesus, right? John 5:46 Luke 24:44

1Jn 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
..and then WHAT the commandments are...

1Jn 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment...the believing/trusting in/on Christ is sometimes difficult...not for the super duper spiritual Joe's, do we love each other?
Agapao
Phileo
Storche
Eros
....do we really love each other?

There is no one on this planet that can keep the law since we are not justified by law keeping but faith in Christ...you want scripture references?

Let's see if you are passing the test and I include myself..

ever lied?
What are we? Liars
ever stolen something?
We are lying thief's
Ever used the Name of YHVH in vain, punishable by death?
Ever looked at a woman lustfully?

What are we going to say at judgement day? Guilty or not?

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
1Jn 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

1Jn 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment...the believing/trusting in/on Christ is sometimes difficult...not for the super duper spiritual Joe's, do we love each other?
Agapao
Phileo
Storche
Eros

There is no one on this planet that can keep the law since we are not justified by law keeping but faith in Christ...you want scripture references?

ever lied?
What are we? Liars
ever stolen something?
We are lying thief's

Oh, before I forget, who kept the Law perfectly?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is still hope Robert, we are to crucify, once, and once for all, the "old man" and allow the indwelling Holy Spirit full reign in every sphere of our lives.
Johann

In actuality God's promises in the Bible are Law. If He chooses not to provide what He has foretold, then basically He has reneged on His Word, His Honor, His Integrity. We are told in the Bible that those who are on the road to life will be restored to what we were originally. That is His guarantee for all those who enter into His Kingdom.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not?

1 John 5:3 says it is not difficult.

I understand what you are saying Happy, that is why it is best to use the Bible as a whole, because when one realizes that all of us sin and fall short of the glory of God, and then another account says you can live God's laws without violating them, this can seem like a contradiction, but then you add in the parable of the talents, and you realize that obedience to the law, is meaning to the best of your abilities.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
In actuality God's promises in the Bible are Law. If He chooses not to provide what He has foretold, then basically He has reneged on His Word, His Honor, His Integrity. We are told in the Bible that those who are on the road to life will be restored to what we were originally. That is His guarantee for all those who enter into His Kingdom.
So the perfect obedience to the law and ceremonial rites is what is going to get us into Heaven? Correct me if I am wrong.

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, before I forget, who kept the Law perfectly?

Jesus kept the Law perfectly. If He hadn't, He would have been a sinner. That would disqualify Him as Redeemer.

He said "follow me."

Why is there an obsession about obeying the Law perfectly? Is that the standard that Christians use for themselves?

It is about which law someone chooses.

If I choose to obey the law of Sol Invictus, I am condemned.

If I choose Torah, I am submitting to YHVH.

Before you forget, I would appreciate answers to my questions:

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I understand what you are saying Happy, that is why it is best to use the Bible as a whole, because when one realizes that all of us sin and fall short of the glory of God, and then another account says you can live God's laws without violating them, this can seem like a contradiction, but then you add in the parable of the talents, and you realize that obedience to the law, is meaning to the best of your abilities.
Jesus does not say no part of the law will ever pass away; he says no part of it shall pass away until it is fulfilled. He says he came to do this very thing, to fulfill it. So, with his coming, the law has been fulfilled and has passed away. We now live under the law of Christ, not beneath the law of Moses.

Let's summarize

The law of Moshe, which condemns<
Law as a principle
Law of faith which excludes self-righteousness
Law of sin in the members which is victorious over the law of the mind
Law of the mind, which consents to the law of Moshe but cannot do it because of the law of sin in the members
Law of the Spirit having power to deliver the believer from the law of sin which is in his members, and his conscience from condemnation by the Mosaic law

Rom_10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Gal_2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Gal_3:17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

Gal_5:4 Christ is become
of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Gal_6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
...the law/nomos/entole/
(SEFER TORAT
MOSHE)...of Who? Moses or Christ, which is greater than Moshe?

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Agapao
Phileo
Storche
Eros

ever lied?
What are we? Liars
ever stolen something?
We are lying thief's

I don't think the commandment you have featured is the only commandment we are given. As long as we are in 1 John 3, let's see what else is there. The next verse says, "And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us." The Father sent the Holy Spirit, so these are the Father's Commandments.

Jesus said we should seek the Kingdom of YHVH and "his righteousness." His righteousness is the Torah. If I refuse to acknowledge his righteousness as my objective, then I am establishing my own standard. That makes me self-righteous.

Jesus said those who do and teach the least of the Commandments will be called great in the Kingdom. Those that teach others to break them will be called the least. He also said that we should obey the Pharisees when they sit in Moses' seat. Just don't follow what they do because they add to the Law.

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Verse 7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

Am I guilty? Yes. But, I am redeemed. That is what Jesus did for me. So, I certainly am not going to ignore Him now, and His Commandments. His Commandments are the same as the Father's. The Father sent Him and told him what to say.

Do I sin because I am not under the Law? God forbid. Obeying YHVH is how he defines loving him.

1 John 5:2-3 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

This is what "loving God" means to the Father:
Exodus 20:6, Deuteronomy 5:10, Deuteronomy 7:9, Deuteronomy 11:1, Deuteronomy 11:13, Deuteronomy 11:22, Deuteronomy 19:9, Deuteronomy 30:16. Joshua 22:5, Nehemiah 1:5, John 8:38, John 14:15, John 14:21, John 14:31, John 15:10, 1 John 5:2-3, 2 John 1:6.

On judgment day I will admit I am guilty. But, I will also have been seeking HIS righteousness, not my own. I am guilty, but I have been redeemed. I love the Father for having sent his Only Son to die for me. I show him how much I appreciate it, and how much I love him, by obeying HIM, not Rome.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I don't think the commandment you have featured is the only commandment we are given. As long as we are in 1 John 3, let's see what else is there. The next verse says, "And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us." The Father sent the Holy Spirit, so these are the Father's Commandments.

Jesus said we should seek the Kingdom of YHVH and "his righteousness." His righteousness is the Torah. If I refuse to acknowledge his righteousness as my objective, then I am establishing my own standard. That makes me self-righteous.

Jesus said those who do and teach the least of the Commandments will be called great in the Kingdom. Those that teach others to break them will be called the least. He also said that we should obey the Pharisees when they sit in Moses' seat. Just don't follow what they do because they add to the Law.

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Verse 7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

Am I guilty? Yes. But, I am redeemed. That is what Jesus did for me. So, I certainly am not going to ignore Him now, and His Commandments. His Commandments are the same as the Father's. The Father sent Him and told him what to say.

Do I sin because I am not under the Law? God forbid. Obeying YHVH is how he defines loving him.

1 John 5:2-3 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

This is what "loving God" means to the Father:
Exodus 20:6, Deuteronomy 5:10, Deuteronomy 7:9, Deuteronomy 11:1, Deuteronomy 11:13, Deuteronomy 11:22, Deuteronomy 19:9, Deuteronomy 30:16. Joshua 22:5, Nehemiah 1:5, John 8:38, John 14:15, John 14:21, John 14:31, John 15:10, 1 John 5:2-3, 2 John 1:6.

On judgment day I will admit I am guilty. But, I will also have been seeking HIS righteousness, not my own. I am guilty, but I have been redeemed. I love the Father for having sent his Only Son to die for me. I show him how much I appreciate it, and how much I love him, by obeying HIM, not Rome.

Rom_4:11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:
Rom_4:22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.
Rom_4:23 Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;
Rom_4:24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;
Rom_5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
Jas_2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents..

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
knowledge of Him.

Pink.

In every age we have had people who looked alot like believers, but Jesus never knows them.

The key is we are not allowed to judge the state of salvation for anyone- only God truly knows. Even someone struggling and ensnared in sin maybe pure in Gods sight because He is struggling to break free and God is working His freedom. Let us be careful not to judge anyone harshly. We can judge the sin, but any approach to the person should always be for the sake fo reconciling them.

Reactions: Rita

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
In every age we have had people who looked alot like believers, but Jesus never knows them.

The key is we are not allowed to judge the state of salvation for anyone- only God truly knows. Even someone struggling and ensnared in sin maybe pure in Gods sight because He is struggling to break free and God is working His freedom. Let us be careful not to judge anyone harshly. We can judge the sin, but any approach to the person should always be for the sake fo reconciling them.

A blind man, heading towards a cliff, should we not warn them?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A blind man, heading towards a cliff, should we not warn them?

Yes if it is too lead him away from the cliff. too many professed Christians do so to judge HIm for turning to a bad path.

there is a large difference between going to a believer in sin to get them reconciled and simply judging them for living in a sin.

Reactions: Rita