Most important daily prayer!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
judaism is a Bible study not a religion
God established a covenant with 12 tribes of Israel
With a temple
An ark
A priesthood
A sacrifice

the mosaic covenant is no longer in effect replaced by the new covenant church
The old law was crucified with Christ
The moral law is eternal
The judicial law passed to the apostles
Matt 21:43
Lk 22:29

You’re focusing on Judaism but it appears to me that you also don’t, or may not, consider Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism to be religions. Is that correct?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
false religions

But religions nevertheless.

Why does Judaism fall into the category of “not a religion” while the others (Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism) fall into the category of “false religions” in your thinking?

In other words, why do you not consider Judaism to (also) be a false religion?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“I ascend to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.” - Jesus of Nazareth

The Father. That’s the God we love. That’s the only God we love. There is no other God.

The Father. That’s the God we pray to. That’s the only God we pray to. There is no other God to pray to.

I’m speaking for Jewish monotheists, not for trinitarian or binitarian monotheists.
OIP.zJQ1fiZXlKrYZJr-3EWmYgHaFj

Reactions: Matthias

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus taught the manner of prayer. Address Him. Glorify Him, acknowledge/Thank/Ask/Petition/help/advice/conversation.

Matt 6:
[9] After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
[10] Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
[11] Give us this day our daily bread.
[12] And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
[13] And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

I like the pray without ceasing, any time, any place, having a conversation with the Lord, humm, I’m stuck Lord; Oh Thank you Lord;
We needed the rain, Thank you Lord; The Sky is so Beautiful, patiently waiting in wonderment; more personal; etc. etc. etc.
That is how I see His intent...NOT, repeat, repeat, repeat...AS IF the Lord is Deaf, Forgetful.

Matt 6:
[7] But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Seems “the repetitions”, can and does become “vain”, when taught a must, oops forgot, reminded “must” ...then....spoken so fast it would put an auctioneer to shame.

Glory to God,
Taken
Vain repetitions indeed not, but the keynote in that for me is the "vain"!

Jesus speaking to his Father asking that the cup be removed did so 3 times, but it was certainly not in vain!

Mt 26:36 Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder.
Mt 26:37 And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy.
Mt 26:38 Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.
Mt 26:39 And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.
Mt 26:40 And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?
Mt 26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
Mt 26:42 He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.
Mt 26:43 And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy.
Mt 26:44 And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.
Mt 26:45 Then cometh he to his disciples, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But religions nevertheless.

Why does Judaism fall into the category of “not a religion” while the others (Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism) fall into the category of “false religions” in your thinking?

In other words, why do you not consider Judaism to (also) be a false religion?

no it is part of a once valid covenant
But that covenant involved much more than a gathering of men reading scripture with their faces covered

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s the right question to ask.

Yes, that concept is really biblical. What that concept really isn’t is binitarian or trinitarian.

Jesus is the control for me and should be the control for Christianity. All scripture - including but not limited to the scripture contained in your post - must support his concept.

Have I asked you not to pray to your deity?

Will you ask me not to pray to my God and Jesus’ God?

Would you pray to any deity besides your own? I don’t think so.

Would I pray to any God besides my own? No.

Would you ask the Jews to stop praying to their God? I wouldn’t.
Even if we disagree with what another person believes or where another person is at in his walk with [or without] God, what words should be coming out of our mouths to that person?

There certainly is a time to speak and also a time to remain silent according to what Solomon was inspired to write 3,000 years ago. Jesus understood this and did at the proper times remain silent. He knew when to open his mouth and what to say... always!

Do we? When we are led by the Holy Spirit most certainly... but how often do people speak from the ways of their flesh even when quoting the Bible?

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
no it is part of a once valid covenant

A valid covenant of the God of Israel is true religion.

But that covenant involved much more than a gathering of men reading scripture with their faces covered

Yes. Judaism had a problem when the Temple was destroyed. It had to adapt to its circumstance. (It wasn’t the first time that it happened in their history.)

Synagogues existed in the 1st century. Jesus attended them, worshipped his God in them, read scripture in them and taught in them.

His God is the God of Israel.

Reactions: amadeus

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A valid covenant of the God of Israel is true religion.

Yes. Judaism had a problem when the Temple was destroyed. It had to adapt to its circumstance.

Synagogues existed in the 1st century. Jesus attended them, worshipped his God in them, read scripture in them and taught in them.

His God is the God of Israel.

Is the mosaic covenant still valid or still in effect

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How long is "for ever"?

"And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the LORD throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever." Exodus 12:14

"Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl; and he shall serve him for ever." Exodus 21:6

"In the tabernacle of the congregation without the veil, which is before the testimony, Aaron and his sons shall order it from evening to morning before the LORD: it shall be a statute for ever unto their generations on the behalf of the children of Israel." Exodus 27:21

Of course, those are only a few examples of the many usages of "for ever" in the OT!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

Judaism says that it is. Christianity says that it isn’t.

As Christians, we are not under the Mosaic covenant. We are under the new covenant, which has been established by the Messiah’s shed blood.

Having rejected Jesus as the promised Messiah, Judaism has not come under the new covenant. It is still under the Mosaic covenant, which is passing away.

The Mosaic covenant is a guardian. It kept Israel until the Messiah came.

Life is in the blood. The life of the new covenant is in the blood of Christ.

Reactions: Philip James

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Judaism says that it is. Christianity says that it isn’t.

As Christians, we are not under the Mosaic covenant. We are under the new covenant, which has been established by the Messiah’s shed blood.

Having rejected Jesus as the promised Messiah, Judaism has not come under the new covenant. It is still under the Mosaic covenant, which is passing away.

The Mosaic covenant is a guardian. It kept Israel until the Messiah came.

Life is in the blood. The life of the new covenant is in the blood of Christ.

that’s right cos there is no mediator of the old covenant

what do you think of the successors of Moses?
Matt 23

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
that’s right cos there is no mediator of the old covenant

Moses was the mediator of the old covenant. The Messiah is the mediator of the new covenant.

Both covenants required the shedding of blood.

what do you think of the successors of Moses?
Matt 23

How far back do you want to go?

What do you think of Joshua?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moses was the mediator of the old covenant. The Messiah is the mediator of the new covenant.

Both covenants required the shedding of blood.

How far back do you want to go?

What do you think of Joshua?

no just those who Christ spoke about

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He was critical of them. Nevertheless, what did he tell people to do (Matthew 23:3)?

do you agree that they were the successors of Moses?
They had kingdom authority
The keys to close heaven
The power to bind and loose?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
do you agree that they were the successors of Moses?

You identified them as the successors of Moses. They placed themselves in the seat of Moses. Jesus told the people to do what they said, not to do what they did.

They had kingdom authority
The keys to close heaven
The power to bind and loose?

He claimed, and had, greater authority than they did.

He wanted them to repent. They wanted him dead.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You identified them as the successors of Moses. They placed themselves in the seat of Moses. Jesus told the people to do what they said, not to do what they did.

He claimed, and had, greater authority than they did.

He wanted them to repent. They wanted him dead.

but did they have kingdom authority and power to bind

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Even if we disagree with what another person believes or where another person is at in his walk with [or without] God, what words should be coming out of our mouths to that person?

The truth, in love.

There certainly is a time to speak and also a time to remain silent according to what Solomon was inspired to write 3,000 years ago.

Yes. I think of it as a matter of balance, with wisdom (or the lacking thereof) tipping the scales.

Jesus understood this and did at the proper times remain silent. He knew when to open his mouth and what to say... always!

I see in Christ the wisdom of God.

His followers should be like him; Christlike.

Do we? When we are led by the Holy Spirit most certainly... but how often do people speak from the ways of their flesh even when quoting the Bible?

Speaking only for myself, not often but still too often. I occasionally examine myself by looking back at posts I’ve made. I see good moments but I also see moments that now make me cringe. I see success and I see failure. I see growth and attribute it to the spirit of Christ in me.

I’ve been occupied with other things since I first read your post this morning but I wanted you to know that my mind keeps returning to what you wrote, and to thank you. You’ve done me, and I think your readers, a good service.

Reactions: amadeus