Mother of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Disclaimer: I am not against people using the term Mother of God. I neither believe nor disbelieve that Mary is the Mother of God.

The term/string "Mother of God" is not written in the Bible. Further, Matthew 12:

46 While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47 Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”
48He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”
When it comes to doctrines, I'd rather stick to the wording of the Bible.

See also

Reactions: Nancy

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The term/string "Mother of God" is not written in the Bible.
Jesus is God incarnate, Mary is Jesus's mother, therefore, Mary is the mother of God, QED.

Oops, it's against the rules to discuss the doctrine of the Trinity here. My bad. I may have to report my own post.

But I do find it interesting about human nature: The Protestants who will fight to the death to defend the doctrine that cannot be discussed, rebel at the above logical syllogism because it's "Catholic".

Last edited:

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus is God incarnate, Mary is Jesus's mother, therefore, Mary is the mother of God, QED.
Let proposition P1 = Mary is the Mother of God.
P2 = Mary is not the Mother of God.

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If -P1 (=P2) = TRUE, then either Postulate A1 (Jesus is God Incarnate) or Postulate A2 (Mary is Jesus's Mother) must be FALSE.

Postulate A2 is pretty much a given with 100% acceptance, the confidence in P1 being TRUE is equal to the confidence in Postulate A1 being TRUE. And you know we can't discuss Postulate A1.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If -P1 (=P2) = TRUE, then either Postulate A1 (Jesus is God Incarnate) or Postulate A2 (Mary is Jesus's Mother) must be FALSE.

Postulate A2 is pretty much a given with 100% acceptance, the confidence in P1 being TRUE is equal to the confidence in Postulate A1 being TRUE. And you know we can't discuss Postulate A1.
At this point, I am not asking for logical explanations. Please focus on the following:

Let proposition P1 = Mary is the Mother of God.
P2 = Mary is not the Mother of God.

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
While I concede that Mary is logically the mother of God by reason of her being the mother of Jesus. I in no way believe that gives her any power or sway over Jesus.

Reactions: Pearl

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Disclaimer: I am not against people using the term Mother of God. I neither believe nor disbelieve that Mary is the Mother of God.

The term/string "Mother of God" is not written in the Bible. Further, Matthew 12:

When it comes to doctrines, I'd rather stick to the wording of the Bible.

See also

Yes, I don't have a problem with the term *historically,* though I don't like the term currently. It's used by Catholics to glorify Mary as "Queen of Heaven," which nearly deifies her. Perhaps she is the greatest woman who ever lived--I don't know? But I wouldn't assign her to a position of sinlessness, as if she is better than other women or other humans.

However, in the early Church there was a theological controversy which emphasized the Deity of Christ. So to say Mary was not the Mother of God was to reduce Jesus to something less than Deity. He was, in fact, Divine.