Mother Teresa: Saint or Ain't

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps one of you gentlemen would care to explain the meaning of this verse for my benefit and for the edification of us all:
Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand., Romans 14:4

Reactions: Sword

tom55

Love your neighbor as yourself
Sep 9, 2013
Michael V Pardo said:
Perhaps one of you gentlemen would care to explain the meaning of this verse for my benefit and for the edification of us all:
Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand., Romans 14:4
To call someone a saint is not judging. It is just a recognition of the way they lived their life here on earth based on their actions. Just because man has defined someone as a saint doesn't mean we are judging their soul and we are saying they are in heaven. Man judges man all the time in civil and criminal court.

Mathew 7:1-7 makes clear that our Lord was not condemning all judgment; He was condemning hypocritical judgment. He does condemn the tendency all of us have to judge others more severely than we judge ourselves.

If I committed adultery or killed or stole something all I have to say to you is “judge not”? NO ONE can say anything about what I have done? After all we don’t want to judge anyone, right? Homosexual sin? Don’t you dare judge me!

I would also like to remind you of John 7:24. As you can see man can judge, but we must do it according to what scripture says.

Mother Teresa meets this definition: a person who is officially recognized by the Christian church as being very holy because of the way he or she live; a person who is very good, kind, or patient

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
Webers_Home said:
-
As a Christian missionary, abroad representing Christ, Rome's poster child,
Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu (a.k.a. Mother Teresa) is a terrible disappointment.
It turns out Teresa was a remarkable actor. Her public image bore no
resemblance whatsoever to the secret life of her inner being.

Below are some quotes taken from her own private letters; and excerpts of
her statements from other sources. You be the judge: role model or role
player, believer or make-believer?

"When I try to raise my thoughts to Heaven, there is such convicting
emptiness that those very thoughts return like sharp knives and hurt my
very soul. How painful is this unknown pain-- I have no faith."

"I am told God loves me; and yet the reality of darkness & coldness &
emptiness is so great that nothing touches my soul."

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
if u worked in that hellhole she worked in, you would go through the same thing

i have had the same kinds of thoughts/feelings in my walk with the Lord. I have never doubted the love of JEsus, but i have OFTEN doubted/questioned/disbelieved in the love of the Father. I get angry and fed up with the Father all the time. But nevr Jesus. Fortunately Jesus said "IF you have seen Me you have seen the Father" so I'm not losing anything w/ this anger @ the Father thing..

anyway, there is much evil in the world and so this anger happens. I am so thankful for the Eucharistic Jesus, who... well, He doesn't make me u/stand all that i fail to u/stand, but I guess if i u/stood it all, i would be God... and that aint gonna happen so....

um...

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
tom55 said:
To call someone a saint is not judging.
You're correct on that point, but to say someone who professes Christ is not a saint, or to suggest the same in a round about way, is most definitely judging a person to condemnation. Every born again believer is a saint. You're either a "saint or an aint." If you fall into the latter category, then you already stand condemned (everyone is condemned prior to coming to the faith.)
Of course, I suppose that you realize that you answered my post without ever actually answering my question. Which was, what is the meaning of Romans 14:4?

Reactions: Sword

Lucian Hodoboc

Jul 17, 2017
Craiova
Faith
Christian
Country
Romania
What counts is that we are saved by grace through faith and that our names have been written in the lambs book of life.
Well, that's kind of what the problem the original poster was pointing out: Mother Theresa had a profound faith crisis throughout half of her life, and it went as far as to doubt God's existence.

Reactions: Helen

Leroy Miranda

Jul 9, 2017
Mumbai
Faith
Christian
Country
India
Assumptions can't define a character of a person but his good deeds does... Please stop maligning the image of a holy soul whom Pope has declared a saint. Revolting against a pope's decision to pelt stones at a true saint doesn't make you a Catholic in a true sense.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Cant believe anyone whould spend this muh time on this nonsesnse. Do you even know why you are here?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-
As a Christian missionary, abroad representing Christ, Rome's poster child,
Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu (a.k.a. Mother Teresa) is a terrible disappointment.
It turns out Teresa was a remarkable actor. Her public image bore no
resemblance whatsoever to the secret life of her inner being.BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH . . .
I would simply answer with this:
She was one of the MOST honest people in history, expressing her fears and doubts to herself while being constantly faced with the most horrific conditions of poverty, illness and death.

All of you St. Teresa nay-sayers can whine all you want and doubt her faith - but NONE of you have ever been subjected to what she was for so many years. Did YOU do what she did??
Did you cradle countless people as they lay dying of disease?
Did you hold countless terminally-starved babies who died in your arms - too weak to even cry anymore?

You're just another sanctimonious anti-Catholic trying to condemn a true example of God's love and mercy.

After suffering greatly - Job cried out to God with doubt, anger, frustration and anguish (Job 30) - yet he is hailed as a great man of faith.
This thread is nothing more than a pathetic anti-Catholic attack on a great woman of God.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are simply not to judge one another. The reason Paul states, is that we can't possibly know the designs God has on another's life. So, then, if we judge, we in effect are judging God. Paul's advice is good.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, that's kind of what the problem the original poster was pointing out: Mother Theresa had a profound faith crisis throughout half of her life, and it went as far as to doubt God's existence.
So did Job - and he's got a book in the OT named after him . . .

Peanut

Jul 19, 2017
goodbye
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the current Pope made Teresa a Saint due to the outcry that it had not been accomplished as yet.
Being she was Roman Catholic she would depend on God's mercy and grace to find her way into his bosom.
However, in this life she was an example of all that is wrong with the tradition of iconography and false church. She was very troubled mentally. And in the end of her life she was even exorcised. Thinking her troubles with unrest were plights from an inner demon.

The conditions in the so called aid centers, or hospices abroad, were deplorable. Thread bare sheets, very scant if any pain killers for those suffering the most painful of cancers and other conditions. Poor food, questionable water supplies. Poor hygiene, and other deplorable conditions.
She, a sister of the richest smallest dictatorship tradition of icons and man, on earth. All those donations to her organized sisters. And the sparse dispersal of funds to supply and care for the dying. Those poor suffered because Teresa considered it their blessing.

And all because the head of those institutions in her role as sister had a very sadistic perspective of Christ and his mercy. God be with any suffering soul still in the care of the sisters she left behind. Teresa herself was a very mentally sick woman. In my humble opinion, she was not a saint. She was a devilish sadistic religious fanatic. I pity all who were in her care. And all who may be in the care of those women who carry on her legacy.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." Mother Teresa

"Suffering is nothing by itself. But suffering shared with the passion of Christ is a wonderful gift, the most beautiful gift, a token of love." Mother Teresa

Peanut

Jul 19, 2017
goodbye
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are simply not to judge one another. The reason Paul states, is that we can't possibly know the designs God has on another's life. So, then, if we judge, we in effect are judging God. Paul's advice is good.
Paul also told the members of the church in Corinth, the spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. (1 Corinthians 2:15)

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul also told the members of the church in Corinth, the spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. (1 Corinthians 2:15)
Indeed...it all depends on where a person is in their walk. Paul spoke to both the born again and to those new in the faith. Good point!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed...it all depends on where a person is in their walk. Paul spoke to both the born again and to those new in the faith. Good point!
Uhhh, no.

The CONTEXT of Scripture tells us that we are to judge rightly the ACTIONS of others - but NOT their souls.
Doesn't matter where you are in your walk with God - you don't have the authority to judge a person's soul.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them."
- Mother Teresa

Peanut

Jul 19, 2017
goodbye
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uhhh, no.

The CONTEXT of Scripture tells us that we are to judge rightly the ACTIONS of others - but NOT their souls.
Doesn't matter where you are in your walk with God - you don't have the authority to judge a person's soul.
You're not reading the scripture correctly. Nor the posts in this thread if you think for one minute to argue any Christian here has ever thought they are God.
God judges souls. People are entitled to an opinion. And the scripture is clear as to our having every right to judge. And as we judge so too are we to be judged.

Just as you judged me wrongly thinking I was saying we are entitled to judge souls. Which I never did. So too are you judged for your error in judgement.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're not reading the scripture correctly. Nor the posts in this thread if you think for one minute to argue any Christian here has ever thought they are God.
God judges souls. People are entitled to an opinion. And the scripture is clear as to our having every right to judge. And as we judge so too are we to be judged.
Just as you judged me wrongly thinking I was saying we are entitled to judge souls. Which I never did. So too are you judged for your error in judgement.
No - Scripture doesn't give you the authority to judge a person - only their FRUITS (Matt. 7:16).
Anyway - I didn't judge YOU - just your opinion about judging others. In other words - you fruit.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the current Pope made Teresa a Saint due to the outcry that it had not been accomplished as yet.
Being she was Roman Catholic she would depend on God's mercy and grace to find her way into his bosom.
However, in this life she was an example of all that is wrong with the tradition of iconography and false church. She was very troubled mentally. And in the end of her life she was even exorcised. Thinking her troubles with unrest were plights from an inner demon.

The conditions in the so called aid centers, or hospices abroad, were deplorable. Thread bare sheets, very scant if any pain killers for those suffering the most painful of cancers and other conditions. Poor food, questionable water supplies. Poor hygiene, and other deplorable conditions.
She, a sister of the richest smallest dictatorship tradition of icons and man, on earth. All those donations to her organized sisters. And the sparse dispersal of funds to supply and care for the dying. Those poor suffered because Teresa considered it their blessing.

And all because the head of those institutions in her role as sister had a very sadistic perspective of Christ and his mercy. God be with any suffering soul still in the care of the sisters she left behind. Teresa herself was a very mentally sick woman. In my humble opinion, she was not a saint. She was a devilish sadistic religious fanatic. I pity all who were in her care. And all who may be in the care of those women who carry on her legacy.
Here's a good article from an angry person like you . . .
How my loathing of Mother Teresa turned to admiration