Mother Teresa: Saint or Ain't

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well it seams to me that anyone that! as Jesus said to His Disciples if you want to be great! then become the servant to everyone else. "For I did not come but to serve, Obviously Mother Teresa seamed to be a servant, So let God sort it out, I don't think our vote will be of any effect. I don't think any Church leaders will have an say in it ether, all that we do will be tried by fire, what remains we will be rewarded for.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uhhh, no.

The CONTEXT of Scripture tells us that we are to judge rightly the ACTIONS of others - but NOT their souls.
Doesn't matter where you are in your walk with God - you don't have the authority to judge a person's soul.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them."
- Mother Teresa
You're being argumentative.

We weren't talking about judging one's soul. But thanks for the Mother Teresa quote.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're being argumentative.
We weren't talking about judging one's soul. But thanks for the Mother Teresa quote.
No - I'm being honest.

Judging the work Mother Teresa did without having experienced what she did - and judging her motives without knowing her heart is not only unfair - it's un-Christian.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well it seams to me that anyone that! as Jesus said to His Disciples if you want to be great! then become the servant to everyone else. "For I did not come but to serve, Obviously Mother Teresa seamed to be a servant, So let God sort it out, I don't think our vote will be of any effect. I don't think any Church leaders will have an say in it ether, all that we do will be tried by fire, what remains we will be rewarded for.
Right - and she opened the eyes of untold millions to the plight of the dying poor and challenged them to DO something about it..

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No - I'm being honest.

Judging the work Mother Teresa did without having experienced what she did - and judging her motives without knowing her heart is not only unfair - it's un-Christian.
If you are going to be honest and yourself judgmental, be a little more accurate and observant. You might actually read the post. I wasn't commenting on Mother Teresa, but on Paul.

Reactions: Peanut

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are going to be honest and yourself judgmental, be a little more accurate and observant. You might actually read the post. I wasn't commenting on Mother Teresa, but on Paul.
I wasn't responding to your post so much as Peanut's.
I only added your post because of your approval of Peanut's post . . .

Peanut

Jul 19, 2017
goodbye
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wasn't responding to your post so much as Peanut's.
I only added your post because of your approval of Peanut's post . . .
How frequently have you visit the Kalighat Home for the Dying , located beside the Hindu's temple to Kali, in Calcutta?

Peanut

Jul 19, 2017
goodbye
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tainted Saint: Mother Teresa Defended Pedophile Priest
By Peter Jamison Wednesday, Jan 11 2012

[Sic]..."
The priest was Donald McGuire, a former Jesuit who has been convicted of molesting boys in federal and state courts and is serving a 25-year federal prison sentence. McGuire, now 81 years old, taught at the University of San Francisco in the late 1970s, and held frequent spiritual retreats for families in San Francisco and Walnut Creek throughout the 1980s and 1990s. He also ministered extensively to the Missionaries of Charity during that time.

In a 1994 letter to McGuire's Jesuit superior in Chicago, it appears that Mother Teresa acknowledged she had learned of the "sad events which took [McGuire] from his priestly ministry these past seven months," and that McGuire "admitted imprudence in his behavior," but she wished to see him put back on the job. The letter was written after McGuire had been sent to a psychiatric hospital following an abuse complaint to the Jesuits by a family in Walnut Creek.

"I understand how grave is the scandal touching the priesthood in the U.S.A. and how careful we must be to guard the purity and reputation of that priesthood," the letter states. "I must say, however, that I have confidence and trust in Fr. McGuire and wish to see his vital ministry resume as soon as possible." "

Wouldn't someone qualified to be of saintly behavior think of the purity and reputation of the victims of an admitted pedophile? But no mention at all of those innocent violated boys.

Peanut

Jul 19, 2017
goodbye
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
India Today
'The fruit of love is service'
The sprightliest in Mother Teresa comes out when she is on her barnstorming tours, visiting her foundations, stopping at whistlestop towns and being present at areas of crisis.
May 31, 1983 |
Q. Can the Church do any wrong?
A.
No, as long as it stands on the side of God.

Q. Mother, if you were born in the Middle Ages, and were asked, at the time of Galileo's inquisition, to take sides, which would you have chosen - the Church or modern astronomy?
A.
(Smiling) The Church.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, talk about speculation.....

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tainted Saint: Mother Teresa Defended Pedophile Priest
By Peter Jamison Wednesday, Jan 11 2012

[Sic]..."
The priest was Donald McGuire, a former Jesuit who has been convicted of molesting boys in federal and state courts and is serving a 25-year federal prison sentence. McGuire, now 81 years old, taught at the University of San Francisco in the late 1970s, and held frequent spiritual retreats for families in San Francisco and Walnut Creek throughout the 1980s and 1990s. He also ministered extensively to the Missionaries of Charity during that time.

In a 1994 letter to McGuire's Jesuit superior in Chicago, it appears that Mother Teresa acknowledged she had learned of the "sad events which took [McGuire] from his priestly ministry these past seven months," and that McGuire "admitted imprudence in his behavior," but she wished to see him put back on the job. The letter was written after McGuire had been sent to a psychiatric hospital following an abuse complaint to the Jesuits by a family in Walnut Creek.

"I understand how grave is the scandal touching the priesthood in the U.S.A. and how careful we must be to guard the purity and reputation of that priesthood," the letter states. "I must say, however, that I have confidence and trust in Fr. McGuire and wish to see his vital ministry resume as soon as possible." "

Wouldn't someone qualified to be of saintly behavior think of the purity and reputation of the victims of an admitted pedophile? But no mention at all of those innocent violated boys.
And this is another moronic accusation that has been perpetuated by anti-Catholics like yourself who play fast and loose with the facts.

FIRST of all - McGuire had only been accused at the time that Mother Teresa wrote this letter. The Boston Globe didn't break the priestly sex scandal for another 8 years. The letter of support from Mother Teresa was written in a sincere belief that he was not guilty of these charges - that there HAD to be some sort of mistake. There was not only no conviction - but no damning evidence at the time.

Yes, he was finally convicted - and rightly so. But YOU dishonestly present Mother Teresa's letter as being supportive of a convicted pedophile - which it certainly was NOT.

Why don't you try being honest for a change??
You're a clichè . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
India Today
The sprightliest in Mother Teresa comes out when she is on her barnstorming tours, visiting her foundations, stopping at whistlestop towns and being present at areas of crisis.
May 31, 1983 |
Q. Can the Church do any wrong?
A.
No, as long as it stands on the side of God.

Q. Mother, if you were born in the Middle Ages, and were asked, at the time of Galileo's inquisition, to take sides, which would you have chosen - the Church or modern astronomy?
A.
(Smiling) The Church.

The Church cannot do wrong.
Individuals in the Church are guilty of sin - but those sins are NOT endorsed by the Church at large.

As for Galileo - I would have taken the Church's side as well.
NOT because Galileo was scientifically wrong - but because of his arrogant behavior. He didn't get into trouble with the Church over his views on heliocentrism - but because of his vain and irrational behavior stemming from his arrogance.

Apparently you don't know the whole story of Galileo. MOST anti-Catholics don''t - but that doesn't stop you from spewing your ignorance.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Modern astronomy has already proven Galileo wrong, because the sun is not the center of the universe.
India Today
May 31, 1983 |
Another Mother Teresa basher that can't tell good from evil.

It is a good thing that the Church did not rush to embrace Galileo’s views, because it turned out that his ideas were not entirely correct, either. Galileo believed that the sun was not just the fixed center of the solar system but the fixed center of the universe. We now know that the sun is not the center of the universe and that it does move—it simply orbits the center of the galaxy rather than the earth.

As more recent science has shown, both Galileo and his opponents were partly right and partly wrong. Galileo was right in asserting the mobility of the earth and wrong in asserting the immobility of the sun. His opponents were right in asserting the mobility of the sun and wrong in asserting the immobility of the earth.

Had the Catholic Church rushed to endorse Galileo’s views—and there were many in the Church who were quite favorable to them—the Church would have embraced what modern science has disproved.
The Galileo Controversy | Catholic Answers

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Part of a Debate between Bill Donahue and Christopher Hitchens; see link below for full context.

You, know, Christopher, both you and Mother Teresa professed deep concern for the plight of the poor and the destitute and the homeless. The only difference is that Mother Teresa actually did something for all of them. How many people have you literally carried out of the filth and vermin of the gutter, washed the maggots off them, put clean clothes on them, fed them, and gave them a secure place to rest, away from the terrors of the street? You criticize her and her nuns for not building a modern hospital for the desperately ill. That was never her stated intention—she was in the vocation of providing for the last days of the destitute and the dying. If you had taken the time to read the sign in front of her hospices, you would have seen it state, ”Home for the Dying and Destitute”—and not THE MAYO CLINIC.

In your so-called book on her you criticize her for providing a hospice in the Bronx that is without an elevator. You don’t mention how she and the other nuns actually carried the destitute up the stairs—those who were unable to physically make it on their own. Your dishonesty is deplorable.

A number of your criticisms are deliberately misleading by leaving out relevant facts. Your book is a study in bigoted and dishonest selectivity. For example, you accuse her of taking stolen money from Charles Keating; you don’t point out that Keating gave the money to Mother Teresa in 1982, but it was not until the 1990s that the details of his swindling came to light—long after the missionaries had already spent it. How conveniently you alter the truth.

Then, you denounce her for taking money from the wealthy and dishonest Duvalier family in Haiti. Tell us, where else in Haiti could she have obtained money to build the orphanages there? From the penniless poor? This is just another phony criticism of yours. As a matter of fact, your entire book on Mother Teresa reeks of phony scholarship: no index, no footnotes or endnotes, no checkable sources, no evidence. If I were your college teacher, I’d have to give it an “F.”

It’s part and parcel of the research you produce for your two favorite sources of publication. The Nation, a pretentious pseudo-intellectual rag, and Vanity Fair, known widely as an anti-Catholic tabloid.

The majority of your writings are on the level of People magazine: superficial and without any in-depth research. What you compose most often lacks any careful study or any thorough scholarship. You write for effect—not for discovering the real truth. You’re the one who’s a fraud, Christopher—not Mother Teresa. She has backed up her world-wide reputation with countless good works for the downtrodden. Her life is her genuine testimony. Your opinion of her is based on distortion and prejudice.

You blame the lack of population control on Catholic doctrine, yet on the very previous page of your book you actually state that the secular-leftist government predominates there in Calcutta—the type of politics that you personally espouse. Thus, your position lacks consistency and logic. Your hatred of her is also partly because you disagree with her position on sexual behavior; she disapproves, like the Catholic Church, of sodomy and promiscuity. If everyone were to follow what the Catholic Church teaches about sex and marriage, there would hardly be any venereal disease and death due to AIDS. And yet you’re happy hurling cheap jokes and insults at the missionary nuns, their work, and their celibate vocation.

C.H.: Let me protest that I don’t do nun jokes. Never did. Never will. And I resent your implying that I do. Also, to say that AIDS is death from sex I regard as an obscenity. Your Church has a long history of blaming homosexuals for their sexual behavior; what they die of is a filthy and deadly virus which can and will be cured. You have no right to condemn them for expressing love to each other.

W.D.: You don’t make jokes about nuns? You just earlier referred to the supposed virginity of Mother Teresa. And how about the title of your book against her, The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice? Only a phony would deny there’s a cheap sexual pun in the title. Again, you’re being the ultimate phony. And do you really think people get AIDS from a bug biting their behinds? Christopher, if you drink too much alcohol, you can get cirrhosis of the liver; if you smoke too many cigarettes, you can get lung cancer; and if you practice sodomy or promiscuous sex, you’ll likely wind up with some venereal disease.

Your libertine leftist philosophy somehow prevents you from accepting these truths.

Ultimately, the real reason you hate Mother Teresa is that her whole life stands for Jesus Christ. And you hate Jesus Christ so much that you’re unwilling to frankly acknowledge even His historical existence—which is truly stupid and absurd. Christopher, you’ve lost objectivity; you’re so blinded by your bias and ill will. Your attacks on Mother Teresa amount to no more than phony, dishonest logic based on personal animosity.

CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS vs. BILL DONOHUE

Peanut

Jul 19, 2017
goodbye
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Modern astronomy has already proven Galileo wrong, because the sun is not the center of the universe.

Another Mother Teresa basher that can't tell good from evil.

It is a good thing that the Church did not rush to embrace Galileo’s views, because it turned out that his ideas were not entirely correct, either. Galileo believed that the sun was not just the fixed center of the solar system but the fixed center of the universe. We now know that the sun is not the center of the universe and that it does move—it simply orbits the center of the galaxy rather than the earth.

As more recent science has shown, both Galileo and his opponents were partly right and partly wrong. Galileo was right in asserting the mobility of the earth and wrong in asserting the immobility of the sun. His opponents were right in asserting the mobility of the sun and wrong in asserting the immobility of the earth.

Had the Catholic Church rushed to endorse Galileo’s views—and there were many in the Church who were quite favorable to them—the Church would have embraced what modern science has disproved.
The Galileo Controversy | Catholic Answers
I wonder if those who claim people are bashing Teresa recognize their own guilt in bashing a member with that accusation?
It isn't bashing when her own interviews are brought forth. Likely those who sponsor Teresa don't know what the meaning of Catholic Saint entails. It is contrary to everything Jesus taught. As is all of RCC doctrine.
But that is another thread.

Teresa was no Saint. That isn't bashing. That's the history she created for herself and the legacy she left behind.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if those who claim people are bashing Teresa recognize their own guilt in bashing a member with that accusation?
But I asked you a simple question and you got hurt and now refuse to talk to me? So its one thing for you and something else for the rest. You making it up as you go?

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It isn't bashing when her own interviews are brought forth. Likely those who sponsor Teresa don't know what the meaning of Catholic Saint entails. It is contrary to everything Jesus taught. As is all of RCC doctrine.
But that is another thread.

Teresa was no Saint. That isn't bashing. That's the history she created for herself and the legacy she left behind.
History that Christopher Hitchens and his ilk invent? Face it. Your irrational bashing against St. Mother Teresa, based on the work of atheists, has been exposed as a fraud.

Thirteen years after her death, the enemies of Mother Teresa are hard at work trying to suppress the celebration of her life and legacy as we approach the 100th anniversary of her birth this August. Earlier this year there was an attempt to prevent the U.S. Postal Service from issuing a commemorative stamp, written about here.

In the latest round, Anthony Malkin, the owner of the Empire State Building, has refused a request by the Catholic League’s Bill Donohue to light the building in blue and white, the colors of Mother Teresa’s order, on August 26 in honor of the centennial of her birth. This is remarkable, given that last September the Empire State Building lighting authority draped the iconic New York landmark in red and yellow, the colors of the Chinese flag, in honor of the sixtieth anniversary of Mao’s Communist Revolution. (77 million people were killed)

“Mother Teresa received 124 awards,
including Nobel Peace Prize,
the Presidential Medal of Freedom
and the Congressional Medal of Freedom…
She built hundreds of orphanages,
hospitals,
hospices,
health clinics,
homeless shelters,
youth shelters and
soup kitchens all over the world …

which of these would you like to burn down first?

Not surprisingly, she was voted the most admired woman in the world three years in a row in the mid-1990s. But she is not good enough to be honored by the Empire State Building...”

“Many people are concerned with children of India, with the children of Africa where quite a few die of hunger, and so on. Many people are also concerned about the violence in this great country of the United States. These concerns are very good. But often these same people are not concerned with the millions being killed by the deliberate decision of their own mothers. And this is the greatest destroyer of peace today – abortion which brings people to such blindness.”

St. Mother Teresa

What disturbs you the most, her accomplishments, her firm pro-life stance or the fact that she is Catholic?

mother-teresa-accompanied-by-children-at-her-mission-in-calcutta-picture-id56799974

Last edited by a moderator:

Peanut

Jul 19, 2017
goodbye
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
History that Christopher Hitchens and his ilk invent? Face it. Your irrational bashing against St. Mother Teresa, based on the work of atheists, has been exposed as a fraud.

Thirteen years after her death, the enemies of Mother Teresa are hard at work trying to suppress the celebration of her life and legacy as we approach the 100th anniversary of her birth this August. Earlier this year there was an attempt to prevent the U.S. Postal Service from issuing a commemorative stamp, written about here.

In the latest round, Anthony Malkin, the owner of the Empire State Building, has refused a request by the Catholic League’s Bill Donohue to light the building in blue and white, the colors of Mother Teresa’s order, on August 26 in honor of the centennial of her birth. This is remarkable, given that last September the Empire State Building lighting authority draped the iconic New York landmark in red and yellow, the colors of the Chinese flag, in honor of the sixtieth anniversary of Mao’s Communist Revolution. (77 million people were killed)

“Mother Teresa received 124 awards,
including Nobel Peace Prize,
the Presidential Medal of Freedom
and the Congressional Medal of Freedom…
She built hundreds of orphanages,
hospitals,
hospices,
health clinics,
homeless shelters,
youth shelters and
soup kitchens all over the world …

which of these would you like to burn down first?

Not surprisingly, she was voted the most admired woman in the world three years in a row in the mid-1990s. But she is not good enough to be honored by the Empire State Building...”

“Many people are concerned with children of India, with the children of Africa where quite a few die of hunger, and so on. Many people are also concerned about the violence in this great country of the United States. These concerns are very good. But often these same people are not concerned with the millions being killed by the deliberate decision of their own mothers. And this is the greatest destroyer of peace today – abortion which brings people to such blindness.”

St. Mother Teresa

What disturbs you the most, her accomplishments, her firm pro-life stance or the fact that she is Catholic?

mother-teresa-accompanied-by-children-at-her-mission-in-calcutta-picture-id56799974

Stealing a Getty Image by Tim Graham in order to cast spurious false witness against myself and the articles I've posted, while calling me names, does not make your argument superior. It makes your character inferior. Thou shalt not steal.

My articles linked were not from any atheist sources. As is proven by those who actually click the source links. While you seem to know just where to look to find atheists criticisms. Whereas my sources are derived from credible interviews, the India article that of an interview with Mother Teresa herself.

Reactions: Job

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stealing a Getty Image by Tim Graham in order to cast spurious false witness against myself and the articles I've posted, while calling me names, does not make your argument superior. It makes your character inferior. Thou shalt not steal.

My articles linked were not from any atheist sources. As is proven by those who actually click the source links. While you seem to know just where to look to find atheists criticisms. Whereas my sources are derived from credible interviews, the India article that of an interview with Mother Teresa herself.
"Credible" sources??

I already proved that the "credible" source for your article about Mother Teresa's defense of convicted pedophile Fr. McGuire was was skewed in that McGuire had not only NOT been convicted yet - but whose case had NOT even gone to court. Mother Teresa wasn't defending a convicted pedophile - as your "credible" source would have us believe.

Thou shalt not bear FALSE witness . . .

PS - Kepha didn't "steal" an image from Getty. Those images are readily available online and bear a watermark for proofing - showing that they have not been purchased.

Again - Thou shalt not bear FALSE witness . . .