My decision on the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
RND(quote)This is true, but there remains a day where those can gather together and enjoy and remember that God rested from all His works on His Holy Day, that He blessed His Holy Day, and that He sanctified His Holy Day!(quote)And what is the day we gather together called???The Lords Day. Who is our rest (Sabbath) The Lord.I rest my case on your very own words.THE LORD IS OUR REST (SABBBATH)

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(B'midbar;13357)
I asked if you were happy with it because, to me, it does seem hard to tell from the bible if Saturday is still required. And it is a 10 commandment. So it is the sort of thing that could sit uneasily on someone, unless tradition mattered to them. So I just wondered, and you seemed to be sharing the decision process with us, with your two threads. So I thought it would be okay to ask. You're a guy, though, and it is a rather girlish question.
wink.gif
I have no problem with you if you worship on Sunday. I did not mean to imply otherwise. I'm sorry if I did.
sad.gif

The bible tells you the answer B Christ became our sabbath (rest) on the cross. What happened before that was a type of him to come.There is only one mention of Sabbath day in the new testament and it tell us we are not bound to meat drink or Sabbath day lawsbecause our Sabbath is no longer a Day of the week but Christ himselfColossians 2:16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:Jesus taught on the sabbath. Jesus healed on the sabbath. The powers that be sought to kill him because of this.

RND

May 30, 2007
(kriss;13367)
RND(quote)This is true, but there remains a day where those can gather together and enjoy and remember that God rested from all His works on His Holy Day, that He blessed His Holy Day, and that He sanctified His Holy Day!(quote)And what is the day we gather together called???The Lords Day. Who is our rest (Sabbath) The Lord.I rest my case on your very own words.THE LORD IS OUR REST (SABBBATH)
Right! Jesus is our sabbath I get it, and understand it. However, is Hebrews 4:9 a direct commandment to forget the sabbath? Is Hebrews 4:9 justification to forget the sabbath and ignore it?Did Christ die on the cross so we can do our own thing and try to justify it, or did Christ die on the cross to highten our awareness of sin and it's effects on man kind?So why do most Christians meet on Sunday? There's no commandment to do so by your own admission as well, "You are correct RND there is no scripture changing the worship day to Sunday there also is no scripture after the death on the cross maintaing a worship day as Satuday." The question then remains unanswered. By what commandment and by what authority does man offer for ignoring and even changing God's Holy Day? If there is no commandment changing God's Holy Day from the Sabbath to Sunday how does one reconcile the words, "Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy..."God made the Sabbath (Genesis 2:3). He made it of man to enjoy, for it was made for man (Mark 2:27). Jesus is even the Lord of the Sabbath (Mark 2:28, Luke 6:5). It is God's Holy Day, not man's (Isaiah 58:13).There remains a sabbath rest.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
You keep wanting to argue Saturday or Sunday It doesnt matter this is not about a week day It about Christ being our rest what is the day we gather together called??? The Lords Day. Im not talking Sunday just because Christians call Sunday the lords day dosent make it so When is the Lords Day God speaks of. What happens? Does not our Lord return dont forget it. The Lords Day there is only one day God calls the Lords day and its not Saturday or Sunday as far as we know. Then what does Christ say "It is done"

RND

May 30, 2007
I'm sorry to see you are full of such venom and hate.
brotherbernard;13364]I will say this kindly said:
Actually, you don't know me at all. You only think you know me. Which from the hubris of your post is evident.
I studied in your schools and at your seminary. I preached from your pulpits. Your gospel is the 7th day Sabbath and you beat that Sabbath drum until nothing else can be heard.
You know absolutely nothing about what I study, what I preach nor what I understand. Again, you only think you do.
Since the beginning, your organization has confused the gospel of Christ with perfectionism and your founding fathers taught (at one point) that the Savior Himself had a fallen sinful nature.
Uh, sorry. Wrong denomination.
Your dogma of the "investigative judgement" denies the completed work of the atonement and the writtings of your prophet, Ellen White, are held in higher esteem than the Bible by the majority of your people.
The least you would have been able to do after 5 long and gruelling years of study is to learn how to spell judgment.I'll take that as a sign you know very little about it and have very little understanding of it.
You interpret the texts you choose through the filters of your own bias and refuse to give the glory and honor to Christ and Him alone. We could go back and forth citing argument after argument but to no avail. You will not acknowledge that everything, including the Sabbath finds its "yes" in Christ.
Did Christ's death on the cross give you license to sin?
I spent five long years under the yoke of your cultic organization before the Lord God opened my eyes to the gospel of justification by faith. I watched with a broken heart as hundreds of men and women - preachers, teachers and laity in your church were ostercised, persecuted, and defrocked of church membership because they would not deny the gospel of justification by faith alone.
Uh, you sure you got the right church? Grace BTW was one of EGW's most written about topics.
My heart is still crushed by the arrogance and self-righteousness shone by your leaders and churchmen as they destroyed the hope and spirituality of thousands. God forgive what your organization has done.
Ah, the perfection you sought was just a prayer away. Please, there are millions of loyal SDA's that never had one bad church experience over the years and I'm one of 'em. You sound overly destraught and confused and frankly, your story sounds made up.
Now, my christian brothers and sisters that have been a witness to this message - I am heartfully sorry that this had to be said.
But you think it was proper to condemn me and my beliefs. Wow, what a piece of work you are BB. I state my positions on this board, and have never condemned anyone for their beliefs.
Please forgive me if I have caused anyone to stumble or to lose even a measure of faith in Christ.
You're forgiven!
This was not my intention, nor was it my purpose to create any focus upon myself or RND that would take anything away from Christ.
Then why'd ya do it?
Here I stand. I can do no more.
Except learn.

RND

May 30, 2007
(kriss;13389)
You keep wanting to argue Saturday or Sunday
What day does the Bible tell us to remember? The seventh-day sabbath, right?Does the Bible ever tell us to forget this day?
It doesnt matter this is not about a week day It about Christ being our rest what is the day we gather together called??? The Lords Day.
And what day is the Lord's day?Isaiah 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, [from] doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking [thine own] words:
Im not talking Sunday just because Christians call Sunday the lords day dosent make it so
Then the sabbath is the Lord's Day. Outstanding! Where is scripture are we instructed to forget the Lord's Day?
When is the Lords Day God speaks of. What happens?
We call a holy convocations of like minded believers? Enjoy worship and fellowship in a corporate setting? Enjoy vegetarian caseroles and salads?(BTW, I'm not a vegetarian).
Does not our Lord return dont forget it.
Um, maybe that's why He said, "Remember...."
The Lords Day there is only one day God calls the Lords day and its not Saturday or Sunday as far as we know
Correction, As far as you know, or are willing to admit!Luke 6:5 And he said unto them, That the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.Makr 2:28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
1 Thessalonians 5:2for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night What day is this? The day of the Lord the day of our rest(sabbath) You have no scripture to prove anything in the new testament. You keep going to Isa. who is speaking before Christ became our Sabbath so It is a not applicable. Col 2:16 makes it clear no day of worship matters we should be in Christ everyday.

RND

May 30, 2007
(kriss;13393)
1 Thessalonians 5:2for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night What day is this?
'Day of the Lord' refers to the second coming. 'Lord's day' refers to the sabbath.1 Thessalonians 5:2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.This isn't referring to the sabbath coming as a thief in the night.Isaiah 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, [from] doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking [thine own] words:The Bible consistently refers to the 'Lord's Day' as the sabbath, not the second coming of the Lord.Kriss, let's be serious when discussing this subject.
The day of the Lord the day of our rest(sabbath) You have no scripture to prove anything in the new testament.
'The day of the Lord' consistently refers to the second coming of Jesus Christ. Zecariah 14:1 Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.
You keep going to Isa. who is speaking before Christ became our Sabbath so It is a not applicable.
The whole of the Old Testament speaks of Jesus....are you saying the whole of the Old Testament is not applicable?John 5:39 Search the scriptures (This means Old Testament, the New hadn't been written yet!); for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Col 2:16 makes it clear no day of worship matters we should be in Christ everyday.
That verse only makes it clear if you wish to disregard the entirety of Colossians 2. When we take one verse out of context we can make scripture say anything we want. Colossians 2 speaks specifically about the Mosaic law and not the 10 Commandments.Verse 14 clearly addresses the "handwritting of ordinances." Be honest Kriss, are the 10 Commandments ever addressed as ordinances or commandments?Did God handwrite those commandments, or engrave stone with His finger?Kriss, you are aware, or at least honest enough with yourself to acknowledge that the sabbath was kept before Mt. Sinai right?

alaskadrifter

Jun 23, 2007
It should not matter to you what day some people decide to get together and worship and commune. If Saturday, great! If Sunday, great! If Wednesday, great! All worship is worship to God, it doesnt matter to him what day it is done on. Remember God is outside of our time bubble. So there is nothing to argue about.

brotherbernard

Jul 11, 2007
RND,I am saddened that you felt you had to respond in the fashion you did. Thank you for correcting my spelling.Christ plus nothing,Bernard

RND

May 30, 2007
(kriss;13412)
I know it refers to the second coming then so would Hebrews thats my point thats the Day of the lord were not to forget.
Hebrews 4 is not discussing the second coming.
Think about it. thats the day the fourth commant is telling you not to forget. The sabbath (lords) Daynot a Satuday or a sunday The second coming the DAY of the Lord
Um, if you want to take things out of context you can get any answer that satisfies what you want satisfied.But Hebrews 4 is definately not talking about the second coming.

RND

May 30, 2007
(brotherbernard;13417)
RND,I am saddened that you felt you had to respond in the fashion you did.
You should be! But then again, so am I.Your post towards me was vitirolic and uncalled for, because I did not attack you in my response to your initial post. I merely asked simply questions that instead of answering, you chose to call names and make poor and inaccurate assumptions.But all is well BB, I forgive and forget rather easily....it's the nature of a Christian.No hard feelings on my end, so I free you from your sadness by the Power of Jesus Christ in me!
Thank you for correcting my spelling.
Glad to help!
smile.gif

RND

May 30, 2007
(alaskadrifter;13416)
It should not matter to you what day some people decide to get together and worship and commune.
It doesn't matter to me, but I'm sure it matters to God the Father. I mean, after all, He did make the seventh day, blessed and sanctified it didn't He?
If Saturday, great! If Sunday, great! If Wednesday, great! All worship is worship to God, it doesnt matter to him what day it is done on.
Psalm 66:18 If I regard iniquity (lawlessness) in my heart, the Lord will not hear [me]:Isaiah 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, [from] doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking [thine own] words:
Remember God is outside of our time bubble.
Um, I think it's 'we' that our the outsiders.Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts [are] not your thoughts, neither [are] your ways my ways, saith the LORD.Isaiah 55:9 For [as] the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.Isaiah 58:2 Yet they seek me daily, and delight to know my ways, as a nation that did righteousness, and forsook not the ordinance of their God: they ask of me the ordinances of justice; they take delight in approaching to God.
So there is nothing to argue about.
I agree. The seventh day sabbath is Saturday, always has been, always will be.

Bamp;#39;midbar

Apr 5, 2007
(kriss;13370)
because our Sabbath is no longer a Day of the week but Christ himselfColossians 2:16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
This is a good verse. I'm unused to thinking of Christ as my Sabbath. I mean, I know about come to me all you who labor, etc. and I will give you rest. When we rest our hearts there, we are a rest, in a way, but I usually think of "rest" as resting with God in heaven, a future sort of thing, since we still seem to be working. This is the sabbath rest that seems open to me still, that one could fail to enter by being disobedient. I haven't thought about this passage (Heb) in awhile. I've previously read it as a future thing. I'll think about it. Point out any other verse, if you like.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I would like to B but its the only time its mentioned in the New Testamentshowing us that it was of no importance to the Christian after the death on the cross as a Day of worship because Christ became our Sabbath(rest)everyday. Another words believing upon Christ is the only way. Not worshiping on any certain day. We are even told we are not to follow the Lunur(moon) calander which is what Jews base the Sabbath on. Remember Christ says he came to fulfill the Law.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(RND;13421)
Hebrews 4 is not discussing the second coming.Um, if you want to take things out of context you can get any answer that satisfies what you want satisfied.But Hebrews 4 is definately not talking about the second coming.
Its saying that Christ is our repose (rest) untill his coming its not talking about a Day of the week.its a period of timethat remains that we must work and rest in him till his coming. Not a day we must worship till his coming.Hebrews 4:11 "Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, least any man fall after the same example of unbelief."And I have no Idea how you get Rom.14 is talking JUST about food in this verse yes he is mentions eating but goes on to talk about much more. Rom. 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. Rom. 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. Rom.14:7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. Rom. 14:8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. Rom.14:9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

Tyrel

Jan 16, 2007
So I went away for a while, and come back, and low and behold, RND is still discussing the Sabbath.Here are my two cents again.We should all throw away the child-like view of the law, which is that it is absolute. The written law is not absolute, it is indicative only of the absolute Law which is eternal. The Eternal Law dictates what right laws are, given context, just as Wisdom dictates to the wise what the wise thing to do in a particular situation is. Just because the determining circumstantial factor happens to be universal does not make the law itself absolute. Beyond this, we can determine, I believe, that the Sabbath is not a universal law by any means, for it rests on the system of a seven day week being universal. Man was not created for the Sabbath, but the Sabbath for Man. The Sabbath is the day of rest prescribed by the rule and authority of the Torah to those who would follow under it, letting the Laws of God, dictated by the Prophets and priests to the Jewish people, lead them. Not practicing the Sabbath is akin to not performing a given ceremony. It is ordained by God, yes, but only to the Jews, and only under the guiding light of the Torah. No other culture, or prophet of God in any other culture, ever was required to obey such a strange and foreign custom.Not Zoroaster, not Balaam, not Confucius, not any of them who worshiped one God, the only God.The reality is that the Sabbath was not ordained or revealed to anyone save the Jews. Recall that the Laws were written in accordance with man's flaws {as I have previously made painfully clear}, but the Eternal law, which 'IS', is what is written on the hearts of the faithful. We have the witness of Scripture to lead us into understanding as a faithful guide. Not one of the laws are absolute, as they never were, and never will be. They are the Truth, the righteous path, given the circumstances and the context in which they were given. Some of those circumstances are universally experienced, making the law seemingly absolute, such as not killing another person {or murdering}, seeing as they are people and you have no right to kill one whom you should love as a child of God, and as your very flesh. However, even killing in particular circumstances was required of us by God, and indeed required at times by us, of God.Telling a non-jew that they must obey the Sabbath, when they don't even have a seven day week system, is like commanding an orphan to honor their parents.You lack a complete understanding of Torah, and you fail to see it's proper application.~Shalom Elechem