My Exhortation - Abigail, David & Nabal

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
Abigail, David & Nabal

My dear brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus our loving Lord and Savoir.

The psalmist David once penned the words…

Psa 25:6 Remember, O LORD, thy tender mercies and thy loving kindnesses; for they have been ever of old.

Meaning not only from the time of our birth has His mercy been extended, not even from the beginning of the world; but rather, thy loving kindness’ of God has always been from everlasting to everlasting, we know our Gods love and mercy are without an end.

David continued to write…

Psa 25:7 Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions: according to thy Loving-kindness remember thou me, for thy goodness’ sake, O LORD.

David was asking God to draw on His mercy when considering his life and all his faults. This morning, like David, we could ask of our Lord and Master who sits in the heavens, to do likewise, to consider us who are sinners through the remembrance of his loving kindness, as we endeavour to draw nearer to him this morning in remembrance.

This morning B & S we hope to discover one such example of God’s remembrance toward David, how in His loving – kindness He reach out and saved His servant.

But before we do I would like to share with you all small chapter in my life, in fact it’s not so much to do with me, but the lives of two faithful women, who in hindsight were great examples of Christ-Like loving kindness, they more than left their mark on my life. Its with hindsight I now see that God’s tender mercies and His loving Kindness’ through Christ Jesus our Lord.

The first is Untie Rita, an elderly faithful woman who at the age of 82 taught 4 students Sunday school in the last two years of her life, until she passed away in 1994 at the age of 85. Of course I was one of her reluctant students; week by week she would endeavour to penetrate a mind that was impenetrable. Yes, she knew I wasn’t really listening in her classes, maybe half listening; too interested in the world to bother with learning Bible Stories. But her words and thoughts are still vivid and the passion for which she spoke those principles, I will not forget. She was a very wise Sister. On Sundays, when I would attend, Untie Rita would come up to me and say Insight – “what were those four words that I taught you to remember?” The first couple of times I hadn’t a clue, I would even try and avoid her if possible, than experience the embarrassment of her disappointment, “I’m sorry Untie Rita” I would reply. Until the time came that I choose to remember.

Our Heavenly Fathers Words a like that, are they not? We have to decide to put them into our minds before they can make their way to our hearts.

These four words of Untie Rita’s, to this day echo around and around in my mind, so that a little piece of her and our Father’s Word resides in me.

(They were the sorrowful words of Hagar’s “Thou God seest me”) Gen 16:13

When I left the going to church at 15 and that same year I left home, New Zealand for Australia, Untie Rita was the only one to write to me in those seven years, she did so twice. One of her letters is actually glued in my Bible, in ‘Matthew Chapter 6” for good reasons. The other is kept safe at home.

The second woman who influenced my life was her daughter, Untie Dawn who tragically passed away in a motorcar accident along with her husband, uncle Erol.

I recall a time where I once over heard a conversation between Untie Dawn and another Sister. I heard the Sister say to Untie Dawn “That insight is not a good influence on our young people (she was no doubt right!), she went on to say “whatever are we going to do with him?”, well with my head peering through a slightly opened door I saw Untie Dawn grab hold of the Sisters arm, quite firmly and she said. “Don’t you worry about our insight he will turn out just fine!”. But I recall this was one of the few occasions in my childhood I actually felt loved and that someone believed in me.

I felt divine loving kindness and goodness for the first time in my life.

Untie Dawn every Friday would open her little black book and ring around all those oldies (as she would call them) those in need, just to see how they are going and if she could help them in anyway.

These two women/sisters had the loving kindness of Jesus Christ in them and they were great examples and a great loss in my life.

My Sisters here today, never underestimate the power of the still small voice, it can change hearts, it can do things which, for some, may seem impossible, it can save kings and it can turn the hearts of a people back to their God – the still small voice can raise a person high upon eagles wings and it can bring you very low and humble you only to be raised up again. It is via this still small voice that loving kindness’ can only be communicated.

Today we read of a woman of faith who stopped an entire army from slaughter, and further more stopped a man of God from committing a grievous and no doubt regrettable sin before His God. Should this faithful woman not have been provided, this would have been yet another grievous sin that would go before David, and who knows what God’s discipline might have been Brothers And Sisters, if David slew Nabal, his household and Abigail. (Serious point)

Like Mary, the mother of Jesus whom I spoke of previously, Abigail possessed marvelous spiritual perception, a real virtuous woman who was full of respect and care for her brother and her King. Like my Untie Rita and Untie Dawn, Abigail had a love for the brotherhood. And because of this love, Abigail did something for David, which he could not do for himself. And that of course, was to see clearly, future events, which had become clouded in David’s mind, and so she rescued David from himself. (Every husband and friend should know this feeling)

My wife has on numerous times made suggestions, which she can see clearly, and I could not, I remember them and am very thankful.

You see Brothers and Sisters our walk together to the Kingdom is most of all about us. How we interact with each other. Our God & the Lord Jesus Christ and the angels are watching us, accessing how we show care for one another. Up until now Jonathan had been the friend whom David found love and support in, and no doubt correction in righteousness. David had lost Samuel, David had lost the 85 priests at Nob and he didn’t know this yet, but he would never see his beloved Jonathan again.

If we have not had a Jonathan, or an Abigail, in our lives we ought to be deeply saddened, I mean that, someone who spiritual cares for us as my two faithful Women cared for me.

Actually the similarities between Jonathan and Abigail are quite amazing. Jonathan had to live with a foolish man, and so did Abigail, she was married to one.

So with your patience I would like to reveal Abigail’s character this morning, the beauty of her character and I am sure you will see how fitting it is in the remembrance of our Lord and Savoir, Jesus Christ.

If your Bibles were not opened, now would be a good time to do so?

1 Samuel 25

Abigail’s enduring character can be measured by the type of man she was married to? If anything this will testify to her more endearing qualities of longsuffering and patience. She is a true example of what manner of people we ought to be in the house of God.

Nabal, whose name is fool, well its quite unlikely his parents named him fool, but no doubt over time, by those of his company, this name developed from his character. We are told he was a churlish, cruel, hard and rough natured man, mean in his doings, and of the house of Caleb. So one can imagine he drew favorably to his famous pioneering forefather “Caleb” some 10 generations ago, one of whom founded the land of Israel. You could imagine him bragging “My forefathers were of the pioneers of this land”, unfortunately he was nothing like Caleb.

In

1 Sam 25:2 the record tells us that Nabal was a wealthy man.
1 Sam 25:3 tells us he was a cruel and miserly man
1 Sam 25:11 tells us he was a greedy man

So much so that if anyone even looked like taking anything from him he would lose control and no doubt fly into a rage.

1 Sam 25:14 tells us he railed down upon David’s men.
1 Sam 25:17 tells us that no one could even talk to him, he is so much a man of belial that you couldn’t even speak to him civilly.
1 Sam 25:25 Even his own wife calls him a man of Belial (without profit, and man of worthlessness)

And finally

1 Sam 25:26 we are told - He is a drunkard

He’s a disgusting creature really!

He’s even worse than an animal, unreasonable, unpleasant, unrefined, immoral and unkind – he is the fool spoken of in the proverbs, so often. But he’s not an idiot…quite the contrary; he’s intelligent and very astute in things business, shrewd in his dealings. But a man who doesn’t use his intelligence for his Maker. No doubt makes mistakes continually, but never learns from them.

If he were a brother here in our meeting, he would look like someone who is un-teachable, in spiritual things. Not really interested in personal Bible Study, not interested in talking about heavenly things, not interested in edifying his love ones in matters of holiness.

But in business, hmmm…different story, very cunning and well accomplished is Nabal. He would know every head of cattle; he would know the exact weight of wool that his livestock would produce year on year. He has a ledger of all his assets, an inventory of the goods in his pantry; everything would be accounted for in Nabal’s mind. His mind would be full of plans, plans of this and plans of that. No doubt Nabal had great substance in earthy possessions. His barns full to the brim. And it was a great time for Nabal “the time of sheep shearing” payday and drinking!

And Abigail is married to him. (Pause)

Abigail was married to a fool, and a fools greatest folly is that he cannot see that he is a fool…because he cannot seek wise counsel…but rather loves the sound of his own voice (Proverbs 12:15)

I was a fool when Untie Rita taught me every Sunday for two years because I wasn’t listening to remember!

Do you listen to remember B&S?

Am I approachable? Am I teachable in other people’s eyes, spiritually speaking? Would people view us as someone who knows more about our careers, than the weightier matters of the Gospel?

Well Nabal is spoken of in…

Pro 12:15 The way of the foolish is right in his own eyes: but he that is wise hearkens unto counsel.

Abigail was living with a man who always thought he was right. I hope Sisters this doesn’t ring any bells? And he would rarely, if ever, seek Abigail’s input, never run things past Abigail, often left in the dark, and no doubt treat her very poorly. You don’t have to let imagination go to far when thinking of how a drunken Nabal treated his wife! But don’t fear Brothers & Sisters, our Heavenly Father is always watching and will always fashion evil for good to those He loves.

In fact, if their marriage was not arranged, the only other reason Abigail would have married Nabal is that she “may” have seen potential in him, in his youth? And this could be a serious to our young sisters…

Young sisters, and young sisters to be – never marry potential, never marry potential! choose a man who is in love with his Bible and his God first, above all else, marry a man who is first teachable and who can lead your family to the mercy seat of Christ…Nabal died a fool never to be remembered, when the Kingdom comes and its soon coming, the Nabal’s of this world will be forgotten forever because of their treatment towards their Abigail’s.

Of course Sisters you should also be teachable in spiritual things, as should the young brethren, and young brethren to be. If the younger Brethren here don’t have a relationship with their Bible, if you are not in love with your Bible, your likelihood of you finding and loving an Abigail is dramatically reduced, and if you happen to stumble upon an Abigail, don’t be a fool not to see her inner beauty. A virtuous woman is one who encourages the daily reading of Gods Word, who delights in her family and loves you because you desire to lead in spiritual matters, and she finds comfort and security in you, though you stumble from time to time, as we soon see David do, she is their waiting to help him in time of need.

Interestingly, if you strip the flesh off this chapter (1 Sam 25), and expose its skeleton the whole story is really about one thing.

Money (would you believe?).

Nabal lived and partied like a king, he indulged in his many properties one of which was a large ranch with many possessions.

While the opposite extreme…

David is extremely poor and needing to feed 600 blood thirsty savages everyday, that means pillaging philistines & Canaanite camps to get sufficient food to survive…and poor Abigail is caught right in the middle of what potentially could be a blood bath, a one sided massacre.

All due to one mans miserly nature, and another’s man need for survival.

(Money and Hunger)

Please turn with me to a very important verse.

Pro 13:7 There is he that makes himself rich (Nabal), yet has nothing: there is He (she) that makes himself (herself) poor (Abigail), yet has great wealth.

Some verses just sum everything up, don’t they?

So Abigail would no doubt watch Nabal in all his endeavors to be rich, and in her own meek quite way try to correct him early on in their marriage, but because of his great spiritual poverty, Nabal couldn’t receive her wise counsel. Her tender mercies and loving kindness’ had no effect on Nabal.

It’s a vicious cycle making ones self rich, the more you gather the more time and attention is needed to preserve those riches. Its obvious Nabal had little time for his wife. You see, you purchase one home and think well, I can afford another, and another and before long you half a dozen homes all needing to be maintained, and you work the long hours to keep it chugging along, Nabal couldn’t attend Bible Class, to busy with other things of interest, his career was too important to him, his multiple properties needed his every attention. All the while Abigail sees his folly and begins to lose respect for her husband. And In verse 1 Sam 25:25 she calls him a fool. Meaning that he was totally without God, and had no hope at all…and that’s how Abigail viewed her husband, very sad.

On the other hand Abigail – A total contrast, the extremity of this contrast is incredible. No doubt possessing the spirit of Samuel who gave freely of his wealth when building the temple, Abigail gave all she had in being the example of righteousness in Nabal’s home. She was a servant in mind and in body.

Her mind set can be measured by the number of times she refers to David as “My Lord” (14) times. BTW, did you notice Brothers & Sisters how much wine she sent ahead with her servants in proportion with the other foods?

Have a look?

1Sa 25:18 Then Abigail made haste, and took two hundred loaves, and two bottles of wine, and five sheep ready dressed, and five measures of parched corn, and an hundred clusters of raisins, and two hundred cakes of figs, and laid them on asses.

Abigail knew all to well what wine will do in fools mind, she lived with it! The men she was about to face had been explained to her, their reputation was known over all the land. These the least of them was captain in 100 men, the greatest captain over 1000 and a single woman and her servants were going out to meet them. The record elsewhere tells us these men, had faces like lions, men that would cut you pieces for your clothing a bit of bread.

What would you do?

While 200 men stay back to guard what little food they had, 400 bloodthirsty men were heading towards you. They had been deprived of killing Saul and his men and seeing their leader gird himself ready for battle surely they were in need of a slaughter. Nothing like a bit of easy killing is there, and did you notice B&S not one of these soldiers objected to the massacre, not one stood up and said David, are you sure this right in the eyes of your God?

A righteous women now displayed the one characteristic common to all Gods children, once she knew what needed to be done she made “haste”.

1Sa 25:14 But one of the young men told Abigail

1Sa 25:18 Then Abigail made haste, and took two hundred loaves, and two bottles of wine, and five sheep ready dressed, and five measures of parched corn, and an hundred clusters of raisins, and two hundred cakes of figs, and laid them on asses.

Abigail did exactly what Jacob did when he was about to meet Esua, and you know David in this record become like Esua. (As hard as it is for me to say this it is true) David’s mindset was profane before His God. Hebrews 12:16 tells us this concerning Esua. And Brethren we can be like this, our mindset can be profane, when we endeavour to handle matters in our own strength. In my life I have been a profane man before God, when I try to overcome my flesh without our Masters example of pray and belief, in time of need.

Before these emblems (bread and wine) this morning, we can be either Esau’s and Nabal’s or Abigail’s and David’s, the question is - How will the Word of God record our lives at the judgment?

We are told..

1Sa 25:20 And it was so, as she rode on her ass, and came down by the covert (valley) of the mountain, that, behold, David and his men came down against her; and she met them.

Well, over the top of the Hill she meets David. Imagine David’s response when he sees this woman coming out to meet him with a few servants and offering of gifts?

Obviously, God had guided their paths so they would not miss each other that day.

And while David was caught off guard, she hasted again! Another urgent situation!

Visualise if you may, a King leading 400 soldiers to battle and Abigail gets off her animal and falls down on her face before David’s feet, and bowed herself to the ground.

Can you see it?

I can see the soldiers reporting this event down the chain of command. What’s going on? Why are we stopping? There’s a woman up front, who is it? Nabals wife!

And so on…

The courage of this woman leaves me reaching for words. If we could have but a fraction of her courage we could together B & S do marvelous works for our God in this ecclesia.

1Sa 25:24 And she fell at his feet, and said, Upon me, my lord, upon me be the iniquity: and let thine handmaid, I pray thee, speak in thine ears, and hear thou the words of thine handmaid.

Abigail is asking permission to speak as one of David servants!

And do know what she does next is rather incredible. Abigail takes upon herself the full measure of her husband’s foolishness, and makes it her own. She tells David the reason why she should be blamed, because she wasn’t their when the messengers came. She wasn’t keeping an eye on her husband’s affairs.

She no doubt ran the household, and kept a keen eye on him, looking out for his needs. Nabal probably thinks he’s running the home, but it is Abigail who really takes care of these matters. Abigail was probably planning festivities as it was sheep shearing time, and there was much to be done. I can see her walking between Moan and Carmel, their two properties arranging festivities while she missed David’s young mighty men, and now she is apologizing for not being there. It’s my fault, blame me David.

Look at what Abigail said in verse 1 Sam 25:26.

1Sa 25:26 Now therefore, my lord, as the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, seeing the LORD hath withholden thee from bloodguiltiness, and from avenging thyself with thine own hand, now therefore let thine enemies, and them that seek evil to my lord, be as Nabal.

Abigail was married to her enemy. And Abigail sees how the providential hand of God has sent her to David to stay his hand – and ever so gently Abigail lets David know that Nabal is not his enemy, Nabal may attack me David, but not you…he is a fool.

This morning Brothers & Sisters Abigail has taught us that God deals with fools, that vengeance is His and His alone. And for those of us who are his beloved, we can say, Remember, O LORD, thy tender mercies and thy loving kindnesses; for they have been ever of old. And we can trust in God to lead, to protect, to save his people like he did for David and Abigail as it is in His purpose to do so.

Abigail knows of David’s righteousness and knows that it is only in the Father that his enemies can be overturned.

1Sa 25:29 And though man be risen up to pursue thee, and to seek thy soul, yet the soul of my lord shall be bound in the bundle of life with (Yahweh Elohim); and the souls of thine enemies, them shall he sling out, as from the hollow of a sling.

Abigail was saying; don’t undo the mighty work of slaying Goliath on a fool like Nabal.

Finally, if we are bound up in the bundle of life with our Yahweh Elohim? We can look forward with all confidence to the Lord Jesus Christ, who is the full expression of God’s loving kindness’ towards us, who has taken upon himself “all” of the foolishness of our sin’s.

May we hear his still small voice and just maybe, we will remember the many Abigail’s whom he sent into our lives, to spiritually edify us, to strengthen us, that we may enter into his Fathers Joy.

Amen

Reactions: Redeemed86

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like this post.... didn't read it all, because I got caught up in it. But what I read was very insightful....

The story of Jonathan hits me hard. Let me just say I can relate to him.

Good show! I look forward to reading this again....

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
I like this post.... didn't read it all, because I got caught up in it. But what I read was very insightful....

The story of Jonathan hits me hard. Let me just say I can relate to him.

Good show! I look forward to reading this again....

FHII

May the Father be praised for His goodness.

I wrote and gave this exhortation three years ago with the sole motivation of bringing to light two very loving woman who impacted my life. When it was given, unknowingly that day Dawn's (who died in a car accident) family attended our church, not realising I would be mentioning her in my talk. Needless to say that hour of remembrance was one filled with outpouring of grief and praise.

I desired to honour the experience and the record.

Insight