My father died but faith prevailed

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

thomasleonard

Christian Spokesman
Aug 17, 2014
London
Back in 2003 my dad died. He hung himself after a life filled with gambling. I loved my dad very much and for this to happen wrecked most of my life. I lost my sense of direction and life took a turn for the worst. But christ looked our for me. I am eternally thankful for that. I know he did and he led me to believe in him. He had mercy on me, he spared me. Enlightened me, and now im trying to follow in his footsteps. I love my lord christ snd I will do anything to love him back. As they say in aramaic, hallelu yeshua!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hey thomas,

I'm really sorry to hear of your loss. It must have been devastating. Praise be to God! who picked you up out of the mire and made you his son forever!

Shalom Achi!
2ko9ow.gif

Madad21

Boast in Christ
Dec 28, 2013
Amen!! all strength comes from the lord, and you have it , we suffer for a short time and then we have life.

Much love toyou bro
and blessings

Bronzesnake

Jul 31, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Brother, I am so sorry that you lost your Dad like that.
My Dad also took his life. He was a strong man physically and mentally all his life. He served aboard the H.M.S. Illustrious, a British Navy aircraft carrier, which was heavy bombed and torpedoed all through WWII.
He had hands as hard as iron, and he was the most fortified mental person I ever knew. Just as solid as a rock brother.

Dad broke after Mum died.
He just could not even fathom living without his best friend. They never had harsh words between them in all my life.

Once Mum was gone, Dad had no reason for living.
To top off that heart break, my sister actually conned him out of his life savings, over $150,000! That's the very least we know he had. I know he also had many more tens of thousands, which he was planning on splitting between my two sisters and brother before he lost Mum. He told me he wanted to give us that money, and we were to do whatever we wanted with it. I actually tried to talk him out of it, but he wasn't listening to any of that.

One early morning, somewhere between midnight and 1 am, as close as we can figure, dad left his home and walked through seven inches of snow, down the street to the frozen lake.
There are so many huge holes exposed where ice fishermen would neglect to fill holes up with pine trees when they moved to another location. My family also live on the lake.
There was the largest search and rescue effort ever in our region's history, out searching for Dad. I knew exactly where he was. He told me that if Mum was to pass before he did, that he would just walk out into the lake. Of course I scolded him, but when police asked me where I thought he was, that's exactly what I told them.

My evil sister actually spent most of his money, while he was missing - on the bottom of that frozen lake! How's that for evil?

Dad washed ashore not too far up the lake from our house that spring.

I was devastated and I was so angry at God, and I did some extremely stupid things in the few months after he washed ashore.
I won't detail them here.

God was so patient with me, and eventually went from violent brain dead angry man, to humble, God fearing man.

Isn't it so perplexing how Christians blame God for things that satan, or life in general are actually responsible for?
We seem to think God is here to serve us, when it's actually supposed to be the other way around.

It's almost as if we believe God is in Heaven saying "hey, let's make a deal" when in reality, God is in Heaven saying "This IS the deal!"
Anyway.

Thank you for the post brother.

John
Angelina said:
Hey thomas,

I'm really sorry to hear of your loss. It must have been devastating. Praise be to God! who picked you up out of the mire and made you his son forever!

Shalom Achi!
2ko9ow.gif
Hello Angelina.
I sent you a private message.

John

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Gosh, I'm really sad to hear about you all losing loved ones to suicide. I've never had that happen to me, but I can imagine it's very painful. So sorry.

Bronzesnake

Jul 31, 2014
Ontario, Canada
This Vale Of Tears said:
Gosh, I'm really sad to hear about you all losing loved ones to suicide. I've never had that happen to me, but I can imagine it's very painful. So sorry.
Thank you so much Vale, I really appreciate it.

John