Native Pow Wow, should Christians participate?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's Pow Wow time in North America.
Should Christians be involved in Pow Wow's ?
Is it beneficial in some way to be involved?
What harm does it do, if none, what good will it do?
How does the Lord look upon Pow Wow's, anything the Bible has to say about such events?

powwow | Definition, History, & Facts
It's a dance, right? Not a religious event? Dance with all your might before the Lord!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Native dances are spiritual and religious to the core. So you have no clue about this.
It was a leading question. Different powwows are different. Some are purely for the pageantry, and some are deeply religious.

No need to be rude!

Much love!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a dance, right? Not a religious event? Dance with all your might before the Lord!

Much love!

Native American culture is pantheistic and sees gods in all of creation. Pow wows involve taking drugs and entering the spirit realm of creation during those "dances".... so, i would not recommend them for anyone who is a Christian as it opens the door to familiar spirits. If you are going to preach the One God who created all things in nature, then by all means Go and preach the Gospel to them.

Just so you know, my ex-sister in law used to go to the local pow wow here in town, she was "Into" all that rainbow stuff, and burning man and all that other "garbage" which involved the liberal use of drugs, and psychedelics such as shrooms and acid and peyote.... So it is not just a dance.

Reactions: JohnPaul

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Native American culture is pantheistic and sees gods in all of creation. Pow wows involve taking drugs and entering the spirit realm of creation during those "dances".... so, i would not recommend them for anyone who is a Christian as it opens the door to familiar spirits. If you are going to preach the One God who created all things in nature, then by all means Go and preach the Gospel to them.

Just so you know, my ex-sister in law used to go to the local pow wow here in town, she was "Into" all that rainbow stuff, and burning man and all that other "garbage" which involved the liberal use of drugs, and psychedelics such as shrooms and acid and peyote.... So it is not just a dance.

Some of them are done as touristy things, just so you know . . .

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes i know, selling beads and necklaces etc. Like a street fair. But everything has an underside that you need to know about.
Be wise in what you associate with, and no need to be legalistic over things that aren't a problem. It's like celebrating some of the holidays. Past associations aren't always so upright, but the modern versions are different.

Now, if you are putting up a Christmas tree to be Wiccan about it, that's a problem. And if you are dancing a Hopi dance to summon the earth spirits, that's a problem. But if it's for your personal enjoyment without taking away from your worship of God, I don't see the problem.

I think this is a personal matter, and what one man's conscience allows another does not, same as food offered to idols. We all know the idol is nothing, and meat is meat, and we know the "earth spirits" are nothing, and dancing is dancing.

I've never attended a powwow, but I've known people who have, both Christians and non-Christians.

Paul said, for conscience' sake, don't ask where the food came from. Eat it and enjoy. If someone else has a problem with it, give deferrence to their weaker faith, and don't eat it.

I think that aptly applies here.

Much love!