Need help quitting coffee

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dominic

Jan 11, 2022
Okinawa, Japan
www.pureheart.page
Faith
Christian
Country
Japan
This is a rough thing for me too. I also take medication which makes me really tired. I tried coffee to stay away but the side effects are acidy stomach and sometimes anxious feelings. I hope you can slowly wean off of it and drink tea or something else. I like energy drinks but I know they are not too healthy.

For the schizophrenia, is this where you are hearing voices or some intrusive thoughts? Have you considered maybe it's a spiritual attack? I know the science and religion conflict and this might be a sensitive topic for you.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a rough thing for me too. I also take medication which makes me really tired. I tried coffee to stay away but the side effects are acidy stomach and sometimes anxious feelings. I hope you can slowly wean off of it and drink tea or something else. I like energy drinks but I know they are not too healthy.

For the schizophrenia, is this where you are hearing voices or some intrusive thoughts? Have you considered maybe it's a spiritual attack? I know the science and religion conflict and this might be a sensitive topic for you.
Energy drinks are high in caffeine. I realized this and cut them out. The coffee I drink is low in caffeine. And I think I identified the caffeine as the problem.

Schizophrenia is caused from a chemical imbalance in the brain. That is why medications work. Some people profess that it's demonic. But that only masks the problem and avoids the medical cure. Bad things can happen as a result of treating schizophrenia as a demonic influence. People that have schizophrenia that are not on medication are potentially dangerous to themselves and others. Quickly getting them on medication is key. The problem I see is that people that attempt to treat schizophrenia as a demonic influence may attempt to avoid medication and endanger lives and can cause harm. They are not medical professionals and usually are ignorant of the sickness.

Reactions: Lambano

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

As I pointed out the problem in that last post. The other side of that coin is that some schizophrenics won't take their medication. So they might end up thinking their problem is demonic and confide in clergy for help. But again that is not performed by doctors nor people that are knowledgeable in medicine and physical ailments. It only perpetuates the problem.

People that have schizophrenia go thru episodes of normality and then episodes of insanity. So the demonic influence clergy might think they healed them to only have their mental illness surface later. Which again puts people at risk. It's a juvenile approach that should be illegal.

dominic

Jan 11, 2022
Okinawa, Japan
www.pureheart.page
Faith
Christian
Country
Japan
Energy drinks are high in caffeine. I realized this and cut them out. The coffee I drink is low in caffeine. And I think I identified the caffeine as the problem.

Schizophrenia is caused from a chemical imbalance in the brain. That is why medications work. Some people profess that it's demonic. But that only masks the problem and avoids the medical cure. Bad things can happen as a result of treating schizophrenia as a demonic influence. People that have schizophrenia that are not on medication are potentially dangerous to themselves and others. Quickly getting them on medication is key. The problem I see is that people that attempt to treat schizophrenia as a demonic influence may attempt to avoid medication and endanger lives and can cause harm. They are not medical professionals and usually are ignorant of the sickness.
I take medications and have seen therapists in Psychology for years. If I heard voices and no one helped me or the meds didn't work, I would think there is a spiritual aspect to look into. What do think about that? The meds you are on and the counseling you are doing, is that helping? Do you still hear the voices or see things? Would it be too hard to believe that mental health, meds, and also spiritual things like Jesus casted out demons are a possibility? I was just curious since you are diagnosed and already going through the treatments.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I take medications and have seen therapists in Psychology for years. If I heard voices and no one helped me or the meds didn't work, I would think there is a spiritual aspect to look into. What do think about that? The meds you are on and the counseling you are doing, is that helping? Do you still hear the voices or see things? Would it be too hard to believe that mental health, meds, and also spiritual things like Jesus casted out demons are a possibility? I was just curious since you are diagnosed and already going through the treatments.
My meds are effective. Like I said, I don't see calling mental disorders as possessed as being helpful in any way. In fact it's harmful.

dominic

Jan 11, 2022
Okinawa, Japan
www.pureheart.page
Faith
Christian
Country
Japan
I agree that mental health disorders are not possession. I think the mental health is able to help people, but in cases where the medicines and their therapies are not working, there is another possibility that should be considered. It's the spiritual realm. Depending on which doctors you are treated from, they also have their own beliefs and they have to abide by a code. If they are Christians, and diagnosing you as a schizophrenic and giving meds, that is fine, but, if there is also help in the spiritual realm, so that you are casting down thoughts and if others lay hands on you to pray for God's protection, or casting away Satan or demons, then I think those are also valid and should be considered. I"m not saying ditch your mental health, I'm also in it too. I take 20mg Lexapro for my diagnosed "General Anxiety Disorder" and "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder" and also get seen by doctors who are also Christian and secular. I have a patient background and also I can't relate to you exactly with your diagnosis, I am relating to you from a Christian who is also in mental health and also on medication's perspective. I know there is help in the mental health, but some doctors (not sure about yours if they are Christian) will hurt you more than help you. For example, when I told my psychologists, I was afraid of ghosts and evil spirits, she said "would it help you to stop being in that?" and I replied "no, because they exists and it would not help me to deny their existance because they would just harrass me more?" Do you see where we (science and Christians) are not really compatible. If that psychologists was really trying to help me in overcoming my fears, then she would have seen I was a Christian and asked me about 'what my faith' says, rather than just flat out deny their (evil spirits) existance. I saw that (she said) as way more harmful..especially, since we are told that we are in a spiritual battle. and Jesus did cast out demons. Please don't get me wrong. You might be hearing me as "you have a demon". No, I don't think so and I don't know that either. I can say that if you are a Christian, if you are trusting in Jesus Christ as the One loves you unconditionally, and you called on Jesus to save you and forgive you, and believe in His resurrection, then I believe, on the basis of God's promises, that you are saved.

This is more what I'm trying to get to.

'Put on the whole armor of God that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For our fight is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, and against spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. ' Ephesians 6:11-12

I'm not interesting in taking away meds or therapys away from you or calling secular doctors "pagans". You might have thought I was. I am not. I agree they are helpful to a certain extent, but when it comes to spiritual things, the unseen world, they are not in a right mind themselves to help you, who believe in Jesus, because they would be not be acknowledging the help from God, as in Ephesians 6:11-12, that I am trying to also bring up.

What I'm afraid of honestly, is evil spirits tormenting you, and you, being told by doctors, that meds and therapies are sufficient. That might help, but we are told to cast down our thoughts and take every thought captive.

What does the doctors say when you see or hear voices?

The Bible says we can rebuke Satan and his demons in the name of Jesus and we can ask other to pray over us.

I think you can take your meds, get therapies, sure, but if you neglect other spiritual remedies like what Jesus taught, when I wonder how helpful the doctors are really helping you. I am trying to help you see this in light of what Christ taught His disciples.

Here is another note, that I hope will comfort you. Remember the women who had the 12 year blood issue, and touched Jesus' clothes and was healed immediately? She spent all she had and the Lord did not rebuke her for spending what she had to seek medical attention. I am not trying to sound like "you need God only and never meds" no, I can't, I am on meds and see the limits of secular psychology in my own diagnosis. For me, they can't help me with my thinking, they can ask me to 'challenge' the thoughts and think more realistic ones, but the Bible also says that too, but to think of God and God's promises. What could is the help of man if they don't lead us to God? It's small help and only helping the symptoms and not the root. This is where Jesus is at, and not rebuking us for trying to get help in meds too. That's what I believe.

dominic

Jan 11, 2022
Okinawa, Japan
www.pureheart.page
Faith
Christian
Country
Japan
As I pointed out the problem in that last post. The other side of that coin is that some schizophrenics won't take their medication. So they might end up thinking their problem is demonic and confide in clergy for help. But again that is not performed by doctors nor people that are knowledgeable in medicine and physical ailments. It only perpetuates the problem.

People that have schizophrenia go thru episodes of normality and then episodes of insanity. So the demonic influence clergy might think they healed them to only have their mental illness surface later. Which again puts people at risk. It's a juvenile approach that should be illegal.

I am not Catholic so I don't support what the Catholic church does. Jesus did cast out demons, and did not condemn the women who sought help in the medical area. You are supposed to get all the help you can, visit doctors, get meds, all of that is good. God created man with intelligence and it's all glory to God. I hope you don't stop seeking medical treatments and medications. I think that is beneficial. The part comes back to haunt still, does that alone suffice? Will it not be more beneficial to add what Jesus taught? (praying over the sick, casting out demons). Will it not be more beneficial to cast down our thoughts and rebuke the devil as Jesus did in Matthew 4? I'm curious why other believers would not even consider that since Jesus taught it.

You might think I"m trying to make a case against you about "you are demon possessed" and you are going to say "this is illegal and can't help me because I have a true medical condition"

see that is going to draw a line of division between us and I'm not trying to do that. I'm not trying to make myself look superior or anything.

Do you agree that Jesus is able to help you? Can you at least answer that question?

Reactions: Friends of Jesus

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not Catholic so I don't support what the Catholic church does. Jesus did cast out demons, and did not condemn the women who sought help in the medical area. You are supposed to get all the help you can, visit doctors, get meds, all of that is good. God created man with intelligence and it's all glory to God. I hope you don't stop seeking medical treatments and medications. I think that is beneficial. The part comes back to haunt still, does that alone suffice? Will it not be more beneficial to add what Jesus taught? (praying over the sick, casting out demons). Will it not be more beneficial to cast down our thoughts and rebuke the devil as Jesus did in Matthew 4? I'm curious why other believers would not even consider that since Jesus taught it.

You might think I"m trying to make a case against you about "you are demon possessed" and you are going to say "this is illegal and can't help me because I have a true medical condition"

see that is going to draw a line of division between us and I'm not trying to do that. I'm not trying to make myself look superior or anything.

Do you agree that Jesus is able to help you? Can you at least answer that question?
OK this is getting off topic for this thread and we don't agree. Please stay on topic. This is a prayer thread not a debate area. If you want to debate that start a thread. I would caution you though, calling another member of this forum possessed is against the forum rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

dominic

Jan 11, 2022
Okinawa, Japan
www.pureheart.page
Faith
Christian
Country
Japan
OK this is getting off topic for this thread and we don't agree. Please stay on topic. This is a prayer thread not a debate area. If you want to debate that start a thread. I would caution you though, calling another member of this forum possessed is against the forum rules.
I didn't not mean to debate and I am not debating and not calling you possessed. I only tried to help you to consider what Jesus said. Please see other reply. Thank you.

Friends of Jesus

Nov 25, 2021
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have stomach problems and have had them for over 5 years now. I have to take immodium just to travel anywhere. I've been drinking about 6 small cups of coffee a day with one teaspoon of instant coffee per cup. I started drinking them because I was forced to take sedating medications for my schizophrenia. And once I started I haven't been able to lighten up or stop. I had two times that I didn't drink coffee for an amount of time and each time my stomach problems went away, the last was this last week. I'm now sure the problems are caused from caffeine. Therefore I would like to quit and slow down first so I don't have too bad of withdrawals. Please pray for me to do this. I'm already finding it difficult. And I just started today.

We used to drink large amounts of tea and coffee. My wife was advised to cut down the amounts she drank, and drink more water. One of the things we did was change from ordinary tea and coffee and replaced them with decaffeinated. With all addictions though, prayer is the answer.