Need help quitting coffee

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you drinking it on an empty stomach? Have you tried buffering it by drinking it after a meal? Tried milk or cream in it as a buffer?
Coffee is incredibly healthy, it’s a shame if you have to avoid it.
Blessings and prayer to you.
I drink it black and on an empty stomach. I had thought about those things but haven't tried them yet. It is a good idea and perhaps I should try that first. Thanks Curtis! I have noticed that it's my first two cups that seem to give me the most problems and I always drink them on an empty stomach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambano

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i went from 2 pots a day to 2 cups a day over a few years, mostly credit krill oil and Dave's Killer Bread, for the Omega 3's. Too much too soon will give you heart palps too, but they dont hurt or anything. Best of luck to you

i played with that for a while...baking soda is a lot easier though :)
I think I need to try reducing it slower.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I think I need to try reducing it slower.
in your situ i would go cold turkey and just pound omega 3, it acts like speed anyway, plus you'll actually be replacing a vital nutrient that is surely missing from your diet. As i recall most of my coffee reduction came pretty quick, and i was engaged in some schizoid behaviors that have since pretty much disappeared too :)

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
in your situ i would go cold turkey and just pound omega 3, it acts like speed anyway, plus you'll actually be replacing a vital nutrient that is surely missing from your diet. As i recall most of my coffee reduction came pretty quick, and i was engaged in some schizoid behaviors that have since pretty much disappeared too :)
schizoid behaviors be gone! Nope, thanks for the advice though, but I tried reducing in half and it wasn't good. I've been thru this before with withdrawals and I found it's best to reduce slowly. I'm at 3/4 my usual dose and doing well. In a few days I will reduce to 1/2.

Reactions: bbyrd009

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I found it's best to quit caffeine if you have IBS-D which is what I was diagnosed with. So my goal is to slowly reduce to nothing in my cup but straight water. But if I find I have no problems at a lower dose then perhaps I'll stay there. Thanks for your prayers.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have stomach problems and have had them for over 5 years now. I have to take immodium just to travel anywhere. I've been drinking about 6 small cups of coffee a day with one teaspoon of instant coffee per cup. I started drinking them because I was forced to take sedating medications for my schizophrenia. And once I started I haven't been able to lighten up or stop. I had two times that I didn't drink coffee for an amount of time and each time my stomach problems went away, the last was this last week. I'm now sure the problems are caused from caffeine. Therefore I would like to quit and slow down first so I don't have too bad of withdrawals. Please pray for me to do this. I'm already finding it difficult. And I just started today.

Coffee is acidic. Too much of any acidic foods, drinks can trigger an over stimulation in The gastrointestinal tract, leading to an upset stomach, among other negative health issues.

The bulk of what people eat and drink IS ACIDIC.
Certain acidic drinks and foods DO have benefits for the body.
Coffee beans and well as brewed coffee does have some benefits for the body.

We tend to QUIT one thing, when moderation can be accomplished.
You likely do not have a “coffee” consumption issue, but more likely a “too acidic”....not enough “alkaline”...which is a common issue.

~ pH Balance, is consuming food and drinks, with both acidic and alkaline, but not way more of one than the other.

A quick review of foods with a higher alkaline result is:

• Green Leafy Vegetables. Green leafy veggies are said to have an alkaline effect in the body. ...
  • Cauliflower/Broccoli. Cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower and broccoli and kale are known to balance alkaline pH in the system. ...
  • Citrus Fruits. ...
  • Root Vegetables. ...
  • Nuts.
Adding some Lemon juice or baking soda to water, also makes the water have an alkaline benefit.

My dad opted for the older fashion remedy, of baking soda and water, to give a quick relief to an upset stomach.
I do consume coffee throughout the day, but also daily consume cruciferous vegetables, green vegetables typically with meals...and a hand full of nuts, root vegetables, citrus fruits, as a snack.

(BTW there are OTC pH strips, you can test your own pH levels for a general idea/ which changes slightly throughout the day, but would give you an idea of what you are consuming is fairly balanced.)

Hope this helps.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Coffee is acidic. Too much of any acidic foods, drinks can trigger an over stimulation in The gastrointestinal tract, leading to an upset stomach, among other negative health issues.

The bulk of what people eat and drink IS ACIDIC.
Certain acidic drinks and foods DO have benefits for the body.
Coffee beans and well as brewed coffee does have some benefits for the body.

We tend to QUIT one thing, when moderation can be accomplished.
You likely do not have a “coffee” consumption issue, but more likely a “too acidic”....not enough “alkaline”...which is a common issue.

~ pH Balance, is consuming food and drinks, with both acidic and alkaline, but not way more of one than the other.

A quick review of foods with a higher alkaline result is:

• Green Leafy Vegetables. Green leafy veggies are said to have an alkaline effect in the body. ...
  • Cauliflower/Broccoli. Cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower and broccoli and kale are known to balance alkaline pH in the system. ...
  • Citrus Fruits. ...
  • Root Vegetables. ...
  • Nuts.
Adding some Lemon juice or baking soda to water, also makes the water have an alkaline benefit.

My dad opted for the older fashion remedy, of baking soda and water, to give a quick relief to an upset stomach.
I do consume coffee throughout the day, but also daily consume cruciferous vegetables, green vegetables typically with meals...and a hand full of nuts, root vegetables, citrus fruits, as a snack.

(BTW there are OTC pH strips, you can test your own pH levels for a general idea/ which changes slightly throughout the day, but would give you an idea of what you are consuming is fairly balanced.)

Hope this helps.
I have noticed that vegetables generally help my condition. Thanks Taken!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have noticed that vegetables generally help my condition. Thanks Taken!

Veggies good...green veggies top the list.
I don’t like spending daily time counting calories, measuring food, stuff that is always focused on “DIETS” or what is called “diet food”...never.

Sort of rotate the meats from day to day, beef, chicken, sausage, lamb, fish/seafood.
Have a handful of recipe’s for each.
Have favorite green veggies, and rotate them, as well as other veggies.
And the snacks...nothing to prepare, just whenever during the day.

Desserts....yep, daily! Usually an hour after supper. Cakes, brownies, cookies, pies....whatever.

Nearly daily a Big breakfast, butter, toast, preserves, honey, 7-8 eggs, sausages, pancakes, waffles, hash browns, hash, biscuits, gravy, oatmeal, cereals, juice, rotate that around day to day.

We drink between two of us, about 5- 6 gallons of milk a week, whole milk from store, or raw when one of our animals are producing.

Food from garden, good, use no poisons. Food from stores, we wash well, and we supplement with additional minerals and vitamins, because store bought foods **are** sprayed with poisons and mineral and vitamin deficient.

No fussing over food, no big mess, but always eating what we like, don’t get sick, (can’t remember some years ago, had a cold for a few days), don’t take drugs, check pH occasionally, routinely stay “slightly acidic”, no worries. Works for us.
Very routined, without boring, or great effort, or big mess. Very Rarely eat out in a restaurant and maybe 2X’s a year, fast food.
Just sharing.

Reactions: marks and dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm doing much better today. I'm down to 3/4 the daily dose and my stomach problems have improved. I plan to reduce until they go away.

Reactions: Taken and marks

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have stomach problems and have had them for over 5 years now. I have to take immodium just to travel anywhere. I've been drinking about 6 small cups of coffee a day with one teaspoon of instant coffee per cup. I started drinking them because I was forced to take sedating medications for my schizophrenia. And once I started I haven't been able to lighten up or stop. I had two times that I didn't drink coffee for an amount of time and each time my stomach problems went away, the last was this last week. I'm now sure the problems are caused from caffeine. Therefore I would like to quit and slow down first so I don't have too bad of withdrawals. Please pray for me to do this. I'm already finding it difficult. And I just started today.
Good luck in your battle to overcome coffee/caffeine. It's a real one.

Coming from the side of victory, I can tell you the desire for it never completely goes away. There will still be mornings, here and there, when it's all you can think about. One thing that helped me a lot was learning that the substance you are battling is not natural at all. It is synthetic, created in a lab to simulate the effects of caffeine. This makes it worse for your body and much more addictive. Unfortunately, there are zero products in the U.S. anymore that have natural organic caffeine, even those that are labeled organic are not. Google search - dangers of synthetic caffeine.

After years of weaning off all caffeine products (and it's in many more products than you may realize), I am caffeine free today and have been for a couple years or so. Haven't had the slightest craving today, Praise the Lord. Counteracting your medication will be a challenge, but with God - anything is possible.

Keep praying and fighting. Freeing yourself from the caffeine is a must.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How about decaf coffee?
How about it? Is it even coffee? The whole point of drinking coffee is to have caffeine in your system. And moderate intake of caffeine is actually positive. Coffee makes you more alert, boosts energy levels, improves athletic performance, reduces fatigue, increases metabolic rate, and reduces the risk of heart disease. The problems arise when too much coffee is consumed. Mormons shun coffee, but that's their business.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about it? Is it even coffee? The whole point of drinking coffee is to have caffeine in your system. And moderate intake of caffeine is actually positive. Coffee makes you more alert, boosts energy levels, improves athletic performance, reduces fatigue, increases metabolic rate, and reduces the risk of heart disease. The problems arise when too much coffee is consumed. Mormons shun coffee, but that's their business.
Good points about the positive aspect of coffee. I just read that it has been unofficially linked to a reduction in brain cancer. It restricts the blood flow to the brain and slows tumor growth also.

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a coffee drinker.
Did you read any posts on 'Late Night..' thread? ..started by Devin.
- I found out that he is also a coffee drinker.
---
Devin is concerned about his coffee drinking..
- This thread is about giving him.. advice/help.
---
He did respond..to my post.
---
I know about health benefits..drinking coffee.
& about decaf. coffee.
---
Some years ago, I was drinking coffee too much..
- I drank..decaf. & regular coffee.
It helped me.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a coffee drinker.
Did you read any posts on 'Late Night..' thread? ..started by Devin.
- I found out that he is also a coffee drinker.
---
Devin is concerned about his coffee drinking..
- This thread is about giving him.. advice/help.
---
He did respond..to my post.
---
I know about health benefits..drinking coffee.
& about decaf. coffee.
---
Some years ago, I was drinking coffee too much..
- I drank..decaf. & regular coffee.
It helped me.
I'll probably keep drinking coffee. I just need to get to a more moderate level. I've been thinking about mixing in some decaf. Thanks.

Reactions: Pathfinder7

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not anymore.

This may have been true 25-30 years ago when natural/organic coffee, and caffeine, were still accessible.

Today, if you live in the U.S., you have no access to organic caffeine. Every single product that contains caffeine, many most don't even realize, use a synthetic chemical substitute that is not much better for you than methamphetamine.

No amount of caffeine is positive today because it's not the substance that all the positive press was referring to back in the day, it is a dirty chemical now made from Ammonia and it causes a great number of issues within the body from the organs to the blood to the joints/tendons, etc.

Here is an article with details and links to other sources of information.

Caffeine or Ammonia? – STORM (temp.domains)

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wouldn't worry about bad withdrawals. When I quit, a might have been a little headachy for a week, but then I was fine.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'll pray for you. I surely cannot help you in this one otherwise. LOL. I know when I was pregnant I had to limit to one 11 ounce cup a day. That was hard.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll pray for you. I surely cannot help you in this one otherwise. LOL. I know when I was pregnant I had to limit to one 11 ounce cup a day. That was hard.
Thanks for the prayers:) Yeah pregnancy must be difficult anyways. It always makes me happy when I hear of new mothers limiting their intake or giving up cigarettes etc. Must be difficult but worth it for a healthy baby.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I drink this stuff. Yummmmm! I started drinking it in the morning to replace my am coffee because it was causing acid reflux .You could half your coffee with this!
It's rich.

Cafix | World Finer Foods

Not available at my Walmart. I buy it from Amazon.
I gave up coffee (and anything else caffeinated, including chocolate) in 1986. I had a bit of a headache for a week, but now the desire is gone.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well guys this has been a learning experience for me. They say to stay below 360mg of caffeine per day and after I added in the energy drinks I was having I was way over that, 240mg per energy drink. I found out that the coffee I was drinking was pretty low in caffeine because it's instant coffee. Now I cut back to the instant coffee only and no energy drinks and I'm doing much better so far. Still going to work it down less and less each week to a normal dose of 2 small cups a day.